• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Forrest Gump VS Pulp Fiction VS The Shawshank Redemption

which one?

• Total voters
^ leon wasn't up for best picture that year...

alasdair

^ yep - definitely lost in the noise of the other nominees that year...

alasdair

Gump is maybe more emotional, Shawshank is better than Gump though, and more realistic emotions. Now Pulp is just a brilliant perfect film. And I remember when these were all up for Best Picture, we all knew Gump would win. They voted with their heart, but I love Pulp Fiction, it was the glory days of 90s cinema. Although Shawshank is so close it's ridiculous. If I had to choose though...PF.

I think what you call "emotional depth", I call "cheesy sentimentality". Forest Gump is one of those movies that tries to bring you to tears - the movie uses pathos to manipulate the audience into pretending they're feeling something deep and emotional. I don't like feeling manipulated, especially when one of the biggest emotional moments in the film is completely arbitrary - like Jenny suddenly contracting an unknown illness and dying right after they get married. Everything in those last couple scenes of Gump is corn-covered-cheese and end the movie on a really sour note for me.\

Forrest Gump makes me feel sad because it makes me feel like life is short.

I'm almost positive Jenny's death took place in the mid to early 80's and she was supposed to represent one of the earlier victims of the AIDS epidemic. The way her lifestyle was depicted earlier in the movie would make her a prime candidate for possible infection (IV drug user, multiple sexual partners).

I've always enjoyed forrest Gump more than both Pulp Fiction and Shawshank...Great year for cinema though.

All three great movies that I really enjoy every time they come on TV/I get the urge to pop in the DVD. Definitely gonna have to go with Pulp Fiction though.

Well, I've seen all of them an absurd amount of times, but pulp fiction for sure.
Seriously, there was a point where I could hit mute with that movie on, and just do all the voices.

Forrest Gump makes me feel sad because it makes me feel like life is short.

I'm almost positive Jenny's death took place in the mid to early 80's and she was supposed to represent one of the earlier victims of the AIDS epidemic. The way her lifestyle was depicted earlier in the movie would make her a prime candidate for possible infection (IV drug user, multiple sexual partners).

No way.....just cancer or something.....

If they were trying to imply she had AIDS....then youd also have to assume Forrest had AIDS....and the possibibilty of his son having it too....that makes the movie too sadf and too fucked up....and it would most def fall from this list with that type of ending...

If they were trying to imply she had AIDS....then youd also have to assume Forrest had AIDS....and the possibibilty of his son having it too....that makes the movie too sadf and too fucked up....and it would most def fall from this list with that type of ending...

It's implied to be AIDS. But that doesn't necessarily mean that either her son or Forrest would be infected as well.

No, but if the disease is implied to be AIDS specifically, then the chances of Forrest and the kid being infected would be quite high.

It certainly would have made for a different ending...

"...and they all got AIDS and died. The End."

I've always enjoyed forrest Gump more than both Pulp Fiction and Shawshank...Great year for cinema though.

this, though Pulp Fiction would win if it was nothing but John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson scenes imo....I guess it's really close between the 2.

Pulp fiction for sure, what more could you want in a movie? Brillis, anal rape, walken, heroin. Awesome movie.

it's clearly aids. forrest's mum died of cancer.