Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Forrest Gump VS Pulp Fiction VS The Shawshank Redemption

which one?

• Total voters

gimpan

Bluelighter
Not sure if this has been done before, even though I did a half assed search.

Was big year for the academy awards and alot of people disagree with the winner.

Would like to hear everones opinion.:)

why not.

i'm not sure which was the winner, but Pulp Fiction is way better than those other two.

I'm going with the Gump. It was always one of my favorites growing up, and I still find it more rewatchable than either Pulp Fiction or Shawshank. I do love Pulp Fiction, but Gump hits me where the others just don't.

This thread reminds me of the film tournament we had a few years ago. I wonder if a new tournament would yield the same results?

Forrest gump was the best picture winner.

I think shawshank is a best film out of the three followed by pulp fiction then gump.

Thanks for making it a poll I wasnt sure how.

FG may be a best picture winner, and TSR may be first on the IMDb top 250, PF is way better. So I voted for PF.

Pulp Fiction for sure.

I really like the scene were the waitress says "Garçon means boy". Very dry humor, right down my alley.

Forest Gump is just nauseating shite and Shawshank Redemption is one of the most overrated films ever

i love and own all three. it was a good movie year.

voted shawshank, but its only by a nose.

I'm going with the Gump. It was always one of my favorites growing up, and I still find it more rewatchable than either Pulp Fiction or Shawshank. I do love Pulp Fiction, but Gump hits me where the others just don't.

This thread reminds me of the film tournament we had a few years ago. I wonder if a new tournament would yield the same results?

I totally agree, I still remember my dad taking my sister and I to see it at the theater
We had no idea what Forrest Gump was and we wanted to see something else, some kids movie I think

But I just remember being glued to the screen the entire movie and just being blown away at the end at how good it was.
Being that young I hadn't really seen many other movies at the time that were that good I guess

The award could have def easily of gone to either Shawshank or Forrest Gump, even though Pulp Fiction is god tier I just don't see that ever winning over the aforementioned two

Gump is ruined by the box of chocolates meme, and Gary Sinise's performance being spectacular
Shawshank is the feel good movie you show to your GF who isn't really into movies, date night movie who is "oh, I haven't seen Shawshank..."

Pulp Fiction is Quentin's ode to "the classics." The better cast. One of the best scripts ever written.

I used to like Forest Gump but it hasn't grown up with me. Now whenever I watch it I can't help but think how saccharine and "Tom Hanksy" it is. It's an interesting movie but my love for it has diminished through the years.

Shawshank, on the other hand, gets better each time I see it. It's just an all-around solid film.

Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece, though.

funny. for me, pf has grown stale the most out of the three. still, it was the best cinema experience of the three at the time. i came out feeling so friggin high with delight.

I had a feeling pulp fiction would poll better on bluelight, seeing as there the drug scenes would appeal to the junkie demographic.

But on a serious note, I feel Pulp fiction lacks emotional depth where the other two still bring me to tears.

I had a feeling pulp fiction would poll better on bluelight, seeing as there the drug scenes would appeal to the junkie demographic.

But on a serious note, I feel Pulp fiction lacks emotional depth where the other two still bring me to tears.

I think what you call "emotional depth", I call "cheesy sentimentality". Forest Gump is one of those movies that tries to bring you to tears - the movie uses pathos to manipulate the audience into pretending they're feeling something deep and emotional. I don't like feeling manipulated, especially when one of the biggest emotional moments in the film is completely arbitrary - like Jenny suddenly contracting an unknown illness and dying right after they get married. Everything in those last couple scenes of Gump is corn-covered-cheese and end the movie on a really sour note for me.\

While Pulp Fiction doesn't make you get all misty eyed, I don't think its fair to say it lacks "depth". The emotions stirred up by watching Pulp Fiction tend to be much more base, complex and 'real'. I remember the first time I watched Marcellus Wallace get ass-raped in the pawn shop dungeon - I felt shocked, horrified, and a little sick..but at the same time, I was laughing, because there was an air of humor about the scene with Butch and the gimp (not to mention the fact that he saves the man who was looking to kill him with a damn katana). Quentin's old movies were studies in recklessness and absurdity and, to this day, feel far more relevant than watching a pretend-retard and a pretend-cripple go shrimp fishing and I think most of the people who voted for PF feel the same way...I don't think it really has anything to do with drugs.

Yeah well may be easily manipulated, and I was mainly reffering to shawshank.
Dont get mewrong but I fucking love pulp fiction for many of the reasons you stated above, but I feel no empathy or compassion for many of the characters.
But at the ed of the day all they really have in common is the year they were made.

Pulp Fiction was great when I first saw it as a kid, and about seventy-five more times after that, but recently when I have gone back to it I don't find it as charming. It's still one of the greats, but it hasn't stood the test of age.

Forrest Gump did bring me to tears, long weepy ones. There's something about the progression in this movie, it feels like it parallels the curve of life, from love to loss and ending with the next generation. Another of the greats, and I haven't seen it in a long time, so I'm not sure how it would stand up today.

I can't pick a favorite movie, but if someone asked what was the movie that had the biggest impact on me, it would be The Shawshank Redemption. The message of hope and freedom resonated with me to my core. It's one of those movies that every time I watch it, no matter what my mood or what I'm doing, even if it's just in the background, my focus becomes set other things aside to watch it. I don't claim it to be the best movie ever, but it might be one of the best ever, and it easily beats the other two on the list.

^
I hear you there. "Get busy living, or get busy dying" remains a life-motto of mine.