• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
Kul69 said:
Can someone tell me how "I am Legend" the book ends? I'm trying to decide where the shitty ending for the film came from. Is that really how the book ends?

Hollywood pulled that ending out of their ass. No one has any idea where it came from. It's too bad we can't dismiss it as being the fault of the striking writers. *Then* I could understand it.

Wiki has a great synopsis of the book, they explain it better than I could.

Best zombie movie of the quarter. (We all know there'll be another in a month, but this one knocks the socks straight off the last 7 that came out this year) ---do you think Hollywood is trying to tell us something... ?

Anyway, did y'all catch how in the beginning they described the virus as a car being driven by a cop instead of a "very bad man"? Sure caught my sentiments, way too many cops in the world and not enough "bad men" left to keep us all from turning into zombies....

mulberryman said:
Best zombie movie of the quarter. (We all know there'll be another in a month, but this one knocks the socks straight off the last 7 that came out this year) ---do you think Hollywood is trying to tell us something... ?

Anyway, did y'all catch how in the beginning they described the virus as a car being driven by a cop instead of a "very bad man"? Sure caught my sentiments, way too many cops in the world and not enough "bad men" left to keep us all from turning into zombies....

yeah and then did you notice will smith driving as fast as he could to get off the island (the cop) but was stopped essentially by the virus? the cop, being the disease transformation to fix cancer was being stopped literally in the movie by the zombie transformation of the cure.

there was some awesome symbolism in the movie and visually was pretty capturing.
NSFW:
I just wish that there was more of a conclusion and not so much will smith dies to save some lame ass girl with a kid that never talks.

[dude - please use the nsfw or spoiler tags if you're gonna give away the ending, huh? felix]

Last edited by a moderator:
i watched this last night and REALLY enjoyed it. this was will smith in one of his serious roles, and anyone that thinks he's just a bubblegum actor that can't act should pull their head out of their arse.

the post-apocalyptic setting of NYC was pretty damn amazing, as well as the lead up to it all. one of the most enjoyable films i've seen this year. :)

however:

NSFW:
i agree with SA's point about the implausibility of the final heroic act. what were the chances of those two surviving everything to pass it on? the 'zombies' knew where they were.

and if the lead character was in the army, with all those communication devices etc. at his disposal, how come he never knew about the colony in vermont? how did the others know?

oh, and why the switch from the mustang to the explorer? ;)

anyway, these things didn't spoil the movie for me in the slightest. :)

Last edited:
i was rollin on e sunrise/sunflowers and i snorted half a oxy 80 and swallowed the other half at this movie....it was great......a rolling nod =D

dshock said:
Given that the Whole book is 150 pages, I can't believe they made 140 minutes of the movie.

They didn't. This film is less than 2 hours long.

The first hour was excellent in its depiction of Long Island as a wasteland. I liked the way the atmosphere and desolation are presented by tracking Robert Neville's daily routine; the whole thing unfolds very gracefully, with New York appearing convincingly empty and post-apocalyptic. Neville's closeness to his daughter's dog creates the only genuinely tender moments in the film, and the dog was probably my favorite character.

I liked the flashbacks, but a little more backstory wouldn't have hurt and Neville's separation from his wife and child lacked emotion. After the first hour, the film goes steadily downhill including a truly awful ending. The CGI zombies and the violence were obviously toned down for a PG-13 rating; there is not much gore at all in this film. The first hour has its fair share of expertly crafted tension, but most of this has evaporated by the time the second hour rolls around and the zombies are gnashing their teeth left and right.

The trailer I linked to earlier in this thread generally captures the best parts of the movie, which should have ended after the first hour despite the fact that this would have made it unmarketable. I really, really like that trailer. I have mental problems.

Smith is fine in the role, but his range as an actor is limited so he can't explore the nuance of a character that has been isolated for 3 years in a world of mutants. The psychological component of the character's isolation, which is admittedly a tough thing to delve, is given a mostly superficial treatment - the dog and the mannequins do most of the work. I'm a little let down because the film could have packed so much more emotional punch, but it ends up being rather empty in a lot of ways, particularly in the ending.

Last edited:
Yes yes the action is great and the cinematography or its cgi equivalent is truly top notch. I thought Smith's characted development was doing fine until that dumb chick showed up, and of course its easy to see how the whole God-plan aspect development in the latter parts of the movie can turn many off, myself would be included, but for the simple fact that I've always been a sucker for a Bob Marley tune, and like Billy Corgan immortalized in song as well, God is empty.

NSFW:
...much like the way that that idiot kid survives in the end.

my bad, what I meant to say was an hour and 30 minutes or so

Just saw this movie today with my pops. Axl and I have been excited about this movie for a while, so I figured I would share my thoughts.

NSFW:

I enjoyed the movie solely based on the fact that I really like how they portrayed a post-apocalyptic NYC. The urban hunting scene at the very beginning of the film was by far my favorite. It definitely added a different aspect to the whole survival factor (if you can suspend your disbelief long enough to forget to ask how the hell jungle animals made their way to an island on the east coast).

The other thing that made this movie for me were the sporadic flashback sequences. It was definitely refreshing to see more of society's imminent collapse than a 10 minute introduction scene at the beginning of the movie.

I do have to admit, however, the only scenes that I enjoyed in this movie involved Will Smith and the dog. The CGI was mediocre, the portrayal of the angry zombie-esque people was nauseatingly terrible, and the ending seemed extremely rushed. I just didn't give a shit once Big Willy Style bit the big one.

Overall, though..I'd say 4 stars is good, but thats being very generous. I'd like to see a modern zombie movie that builds tension just like this film did, but really pays off in the end. I can't think of a zombie movie, other than the earlier Romero films, that have a perfect mixture of story, character development, and horror, while having an excellent ending.

JohnnyComa said:
Just saw this movie today with my pops. Axl and I have been excited about this movie for a while, so I figured I would share my thoughts.

NSFW:

I enjoyed the movie solely based on the fact that I really like how they portrayed a post-apocalyptic NYC. The urban hunting scene at the very beginning of the film was by far my favorite. It definitely added a different aspect to the whole survival factor (if you can suspend your disbelief long enough to forget to ask how the hell jungle animals made their way to an island on the east coast).

The other thing that made this movie for me were the sporadic flashback sequences. It was definitely refreshing to see more of society's imminent collapse than a 10 minute introduction scene at the beginning of the movie.

I do have to admit, however, the only scenes that I enjoyed in this movie involved Will Smith and the dog. The CGI was mediocre, the portrayal of the angry zombie-esque people was nauseatingly terrible, and the ending seemed extremely rushed. I just didn't give a shit once Big Willy Style bit the big one.

Overall, though..I'd say 4 stars is good, but thats being very generous. I'd like to see a modern zombie movie that builds tension just like this film did, but really pays off in the end. I can't think of a zombie movie, other than the earlier Romero films, that have a perfect mixture of story, character development, and horror, while having an excellent ending.

NSFW:
the animals could have easily escaped from a zoo.. central park also has animals within it

i agree with the sentiment regarding that stupid girl and the kid. wtf. kinda thrown in there and with the religion bit thrown in too.. ew.

felix said:
i watched this last night and REALLY enjoyed it. this was will smith in one of his serious roles, and anyone that thinks he's just a bubblegum actor that can't act should pull their head out of their arse.

the post-apocalyptic setting of NYC was pretty damn amazing, as well as the lead up to it all. one of the most enjoyable films i've seen this year. :)

however:

NSFW:
i agree with SA's point about the implausibility of the final heroic act. what were the chances of those two surviving everything to pass it on? the 'zombies' knew where they were.

and if the lead character was in the army, with all those communication devices etc. at his disposal, how come he never knew about the colony in vermont? how did the others know?

oh, and why the switch from the mustang to the explorer? ;)

anyway, these things didn't spoil the movie for me in the slightest. :)

I didn't know they were showing it overseas already? ;)

it was a good movie.

as far as will smith goes. he is enjoyable to watch, so when he has a good performance its gonna get noticed.

there are some actors that people just don't appreciate because they play the antagonist type roles that some viewers can't see past.

i guess what i'm saying is it'd be hard for will smith to play the antagonist.

I really dont care for will smith in films but this one was good
NSFW:
till he killed himself
. . . I just did not enjoy the way the movie ended.

Another thing they were vampires . . . .NOT ZOMBIES. . .VAMPIRES!

AmorRoark said:
I didn't know they were showing it overseas already? ;)
ummmm.... my brother must have a licence for that kind of thing or something. i didn't ask any questions, i just took my beer and sat down. %)

oh, and i'm referring to my brother that lives over in the US, of course. =D

too much crappy cgi. the movie kept me entertained, I'll give it that, but I'm pretty sick of all the computerized shit that fills up most movies these days. zombies are way better with real people.

ego_loss said:
Get off my jock.

I think that, if when asked to give an example of an actor who has come a long way to find success, you think the best answer is Will Smith, dear god almighty open your eyes. I'm sorry if you think I'm being "sad" by "crucifying" people. I like to think I might be motivating people to broaden their horizons some.

Oh wait...

You seem to think it's pathetic to broaden one's horizons. I'm not overlooking the accomplishments of one single actor, I am simply saying that it's a little silly to make a comment like "I can't think of an actor right now that has progressed as much as Will Smith" when there are hundreds of people who have worked harder and achieved greater results that working in CGI filled schlock-fests.

no no, it isn't that you have differing views, you are just really uber condescending lately.

take post 48 in this thread as evidence.

Watched this one and thought it was okay-ish and actually got my attention to the very end in spite of a few painful plot holes.
Much to my surprise really as I consider Will Smith a soulless whore who sells out for smelly loads of cash, of which he already has an unhealthy amount.