• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Codeine & CWE (aka cdub) Megathread: third time's the charm

I think you're right DM....it's time to accept it won't ever be the same.

I"ll take it for what it is, a subtle buzz.

It'll still be useful for scatter-days and when I want to feel nostalgic.

I thank my lucky stars I've got no hook-ups for stronger opiates.

I've been using opiates on occasion for over 6 years...the key being 'on occasion' I reckon

Have done a couple of big runs like 6 weeks of all day every day oxy use. But always stop when necessary, for example if uni semester is about to start or if scripts are running out. I'll often then go weeks sometimes months without touching opiates.

Have never really done a big run of regular codeine, especially not CWE codeine. It certainly still has the magic for me, and I reckon the key has been keeping it occasional. I've used the past 3 weekends in a row so will probably take at least the next 2 weeks off, probably more due to uni work picking up. Then enjoy an epic high in like a month or 2 :)

I've never got a nod off codeine - only off oxy or tramadol. That said the max codeine I've had in one dose would be like 180mg. Generally I'd have it when going out anyway so don't want too much, just enough for the epic warmth/delicious feeling.

Consider yourself lucky you have the constitution/fortitude to keep it "occasional." Most of us can't. :)

You can catch nod off codeine, but more around the 400mg+ dose - and you definitely wouldn't want to be out. Codeine gets too sedating at high doses and makes you really loose focus on and care for the external world.

Any reason you guys don't just use a Buchner funnel? I just pour it in the funnel, set the vacuum, walk off and grab a drink or something, come back a couple minutes later and it's done...no chance of tearing and can use finer grade filters due to having vacuum assistance, likely to get a better yield too

dude you are an asset to bluelight, and probably saved budding codeine youngsters who were ready to destroy their liver for a mild morphine buzz... Can someone sticky this suggestion? the buchner funnel could save serious lives and legal complications, and with that being bluelights major motive, sticky this immediately mods! pce smokedup

dude you are an asset to bluelight, and probably saved budding codeine youngsters who were ready to destroy their liver for a mild morphine buzz... Can someone sticky this suggestion? the buchner funnel could save serious lives and legal complications, and with that being bluelights major motive, sticky this immediately mods! pce smokedup

To be fair, the regular CWE is perfectly safe as long as your technique is vaguely correct. I practically lived off them for 2 years, on top of heavy non-CWE paracetemol use with or without codeine (often popping 4 - 8 panadeine or regular panadol at a time), and my liver function is perfect. I'm not trying to encourage that kind of behavior, obviously it was silly (my back was fucked and pain makes you desperate), but the toxicity of paracetemol is overstated and people are far more paranoid than they need to be about CWE's. People act as if going a single pill over the 4g/day limit will kill you or do permanent damage, when in reality that limit is set to cover pharmaceutical companies asses in the case of elderly people or those with impaired liver function - it's basically the lowest possible limit and suggested dose they could set and still market the stuff as an analgesic. Ibuprofen is far more worrying imo, I used it in similar quantities and my stomach has never been the same since (I've been thinking about getting checked for a small ulcer or bleed in my stomach for a while now).

The reality is that if you use a coffee filter or cloth cut from a tightly woven business shirt, use cool tap water (no need to put it in the fridge, doing so makes absolutely no difference to the final outcome) and no more of it than is necessary to dissolve the pills/get all of the gunk into the filter, and then perform the CWE properly so there's no leaks and no solids in the final solution, the solubility of paracetemol is such that your CWE will contain less paracetemol than 2 - 3 panadol. Look at the chart on erowid and do the math yourself if you don't believe me. Given that the ceiling dose and enzyme inhibition makes it impossible to drink more than 3 CWE's a day (in my experience if you don't wait 5 - 6 hours between one dose and the next, the second dose will do nothing or have a greatly reduced effect), even drinking the maximum amount of CWE's you can in a day will give you, worst case scenario, the equivalent of 8 - 10 panadol.

Again: cool tap water, no solids in your solution and no absurd amounts of water (if you can fit your CWE into a cup pre-dilution, you're probably fine) and your liver will be just fine.

To be fair, the regular CWE is perfectly safe as long as your technique is vaguely correct. I practically lived off them for 2 years, on top of heavy non-CWE paracetemol use with or without codeine (often popping 4 - 8 panadeine or regular panadol at a time), and my liver function is perfect. I'm not trying to encourage that kind of behavior, obviously it was silly (my back was fucked and pain makes you desperate), but the toxicity of paracetemol is overstated and people are far more paranoid than they need to be about CWE's. People act as if going a single pill over the 4g/day limit will kill you or do permanent damage, when in reality that limit is set to cover pharmaceutical companies asses in the case of elderly people or those with impaired liver function - it's basically the lowest possible limit and suggested dose they could set and still market the stuff as an analgesic. Ibuprofen is far more worrying imo, I used it in similar quantities and my stomach has never been the same since (I've been thinking about getting checked for a small ulcer or bleed in my stomach for a while now).

The reality is that if you use a coffee filter or cloth cut from a tightly woven business shirt, use cool tap water (no need to put it in the fridge, doing so makes absolutely no difference to the final outcome) and no more of it than is necessary to dissolve the pills/get all of the gunk into the filter, and then perform the CWE properly so there's no leaks and no solids in the final solution, the solubility of paracetemol is such that your CWE will contain less paracetemol than 2 - 3 panadol. Look at the chart on erowid and do the math yourself if you don't believe me. Given that the ceiling dose and enzyme inhibition makes it impossible to drink more than 3 CWE's a day (in my experience if you don't wait 5 - 6 hours between one dose and the next, the second dose will do nothing or have a greatly reduced effect), even drinking the maximum amount of CWE's you can in a day will give you, worst case scenario, the equivalent of 8 - 10 panadol.

Again: cool tap water, no solids in your solution and no absurd amounts of water (if you can fit your CWE into a cup pre-dilution, you're probably fine) and your liver will be just fine.

that is actually very comforting to know that you havnt seen any lingering damage.. i think its just anxiety fuckin with me each time i skull my shot of what is a clear solution. Cheers man, huge weight is off my shoulders.

^However, there is a difference between having paracetamol suspended in solution as opposed to dissolved in solution.

I would be wary of accepting anyone's view point that "you will be fine". They simply do not know that. Its a very risky thing to maintain a faith based approach towards.

I wouldn't recommend a faith based approach to anything, but look at the science, add up the numbers and you'll see that it's pretty hard to get enough paracetemol into the water to do damage if your technique is even half way sensible.

Any significant amount of paracetemol suspended in the solution would be visible, which was my point - check the solution for visible particles, and if they aren't there, you didn't use more than a cup or so of water and the water isn't heated above room temperature, then there's no way that you've dissolved more than 1 - 1.5 grams of paracetemol.

That said, if you're a frequent CWE user, a liver function test every 3 months or so couldn't hurt, in the same way that IV users should test for bloodborn viruses even if they're fastidious about their hygiene.

like i said, based on my method and a clear solution i felt as if im just paranoid about my health, im using max 50 ml each time, always clear. no one else i know uses codeine so its comforting to hear from someone whos in the same boat.

i do recreational size extract once a month or so, but also do small extracts of 60-80 mg for general pain like headaches and backpain to remove the unnecessary actives and protect my liver. is is possible to become dependent or suffer w/d taking small doses such as this 3-4 times per week.

It's highly unlikely you'd experience any more than totally minor wd symptoms. The more days you use in a row the higher the chance gets but at that dose even dosing daily shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: I would strongly recommend NOT dosing daily! Leave it as long as you can.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention that the opaqueness of the solution has very little to do with the amount of ibuprofen in the solution as it is a colourless crystal. the milkyness of some Ibu cwe's is more to do with other excipients.

New here but not to this sort of subject matter, have done a lot of searching but can't seem to find any discussion, let alone an answer, to what I'm looking for.

I came across an "improved" codeine cwe technique somewhere else, after searching because my cwes to date have been very frustrating - using coffee filters literally just doesn't filter and I am left with sludge which probably contains 2/3 of the desired codeine, try to squeeze through into another filter and then it gets clogged again and by the time I'm finished with multiple filters I'm pretty sure there's no apap left (50ml of clear water in a shot glass) but not convince there is much codeine in there either by that point. I am very careful to never drink any more than 50ml of water that is see through with no particles, as the science says this cannot have that much apap in it (though correct me if I am wrong on that!)

The improved method I came across involved doing the first filter with warm to hot water. I had some spare regular apap only pills lying around last night, so I crushed up 16 in 50ml of warm to hot water (just hot enough that I could keep my finger in without too much trouble) and then filtered this straight through a couple of coffee filters (pre-wet with room temperature water).

The water filtered through WAY quicker than it does when the mixture has been chilled, and on measuring I had pretty much 50ml of very clear water come through (maybe minus 5ml at most). The filters were left containing about he amount of apap I would expect from 16 pills. Remember this is warm to hot water so I had 50ml of almost crystal clear solution that possibly had some apap dissolved in it, so I popped that in the freezer a while to see if any solids would precipitate out of the liquid. Half an hour later I checked and the water was still clear, so I ran this through another couple of coffee filters, and again it filtered a lot quicker because there were far less solids (if any, I couldn't see any), and I had ~50ml of very cold clear water with no particulate matter by the end of it - obviously useless as it was just apap pills for an experiment at this point!

I'm tempted to now try this with codeine containing pills but am a bit baffled why I can't seem to find much discussion of this!

Would doing it this way present any danger? The info I read on this "improved" method is still out there so I guess people (like me!) will be tempted to try it so in the interests of harm reduction thought it might be worth discussing?

I believe the article your talking about is this one http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?457-Improved-CWE-codeine-extraction

It's definitely worth a try I reckon!

What kind of coffee filters do you use?

That's the one - wasn't sure if linking to other forum was OK.

Box doesn't really say what kind of filters they are, just 99% bleached pulp, 1% wet strength agent, fits most 4-5 cup coffee makers.

Have also tried cut up shirt, which does filter quicker for a while, but again at low temperatures end up with a moisture soaked sludge in there, and the resulting liquid is nowhere near clear enough for me to want to risk drinking (I have a healthy paranoia about getting this as safe as possible!). If I run through the coffee filters for a second wash, again a load of gloop gets stuck in there trapping a lot of the goodies I expect...

Will have a look at experimenting further!

Ok, I've crushed 32 8/500mg co-codamol tablets in fairly warm to the touch water, the warm water helped them dissolve as well as well as the entire 50ml of water (minus about 5 ml or less) drain through a double coffee filter rig in less then 5 minutes, leaving a 50ml shot glass that was only very slightly cloudy, and a huge wad of white crap in the filter.

So I expect I should have at least 200mg of the 256mg of codeine total in that shot glass and very little apap. Even with warm water a heck of a lot of white stuff is left behind.

The only thing that worries me is something I've read about colloidal action with he starch in such pills when using warm water. I figure given the amount of crap left in the filter, the small amount of water in the glass, and the fact that it is crystal clear (though will be filtering again once it's had a good while to cool in the fridge), it cannot possibly contain a dangerous amount of apap, obviously there is only so much apap that can dissolve in such an amount of water, and I am assuming that any other apap at that was in suspension due to starch would be reflected either visibly or in the water being more like a syrupy consistency - though this is where my knowledge of chemistry runs thin. Like I said, on an eyeball basis there seems just as much apap in the filter as when using cold water (just less water stuck in the gloopy mess because I've used warmer water for first filter run through).

I might crush a single apap pill up in 50ml of warm water and see what that looks like, I am pretty sure it will look a heck of a lot cloudier than the water in my 50ml shot glass, but any answers would be appreciated!

BTW I have been taking pictures as I go along to document the process, would these be useful to post and if so is there a preferred image host I might use? Thanks!

I may also try the warm water method with ibuprofen
(PS I've just noticed this megathread is actually in ADD and I'm from UK so mods if necessary move to relevant section, thanks!)

Last edited:
Well I ended up with the 50ml of very clear filtered ice cold water (and it was way clearer than 50ml of very hot water with one 500mg apap pill dissolved/suspended in it so I figured that had to be fine). I also did the same process with 8 12.8/200 ibuprofens with less spectacular results, but did filter slightly better and so ended up with maybe an extra 80mg of codeine.

All in all, I seemed to get a much better result effect wise than a very messy attempt at 64 8/500 cocodamols yesterday. Sure with that attempt I ended up with some water but after multiple filtrations and clogged filters I think I ended up with drastically lost amounts of codeine. I felt a bit of a teaser buzz but nothing special, whereas tonight I had full on euphoria, pinned pupils, and this lasted a couple of hours and felt rather nice.

I think this will be the way to go for me but will hope to give it a rest for a little while now until the next time :)

codeine is a very spasmodic high,in that the same dose can deliver differing and altered effects even in the same setting

Agreed.

I'm getting one of those super intense histamine reactions, it's only happened 3 other times but im so fucking itchy is ruining the stone. My skin is on FIRE. I'm going red from scratching. Need to take an anti-hist stat. Grrr.

EDIT I took one but i keep getting these bursts of fire-ants biting my skin FUCK

Last edited: