• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

⫸STICKY⫷ Australian Opiate Withdrawal Maintainance Medication Prescribers

^ Yeah some people can get very depressed and it can be long lasting, if you are interested in long term effects like that check out PAWS - Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

Good luck. Hopefully it's all up hill. Similiar to how it was the shortest day yesterday and gets sunnier from here on out. Is there a depression similiar to meth or MDMA scatness?

it's the physical WD that does it for me, but i can handle the mental side of things easy as compared to MDMA. sure i get depressed, but generally i'm that physically sick from opiate WD i tent to feel too shitouse to feel depressed, however... the mental part starts a log time after.... once i start to get over the physical side of things....

Mr Blond; so you're going cold turkey? hope you start feeling better soon mate! you using diazepam to help? I know what you meant about music associated with using... i once was making a huge effort not to use, and then after having a fewe drinks i was listening to some music, the nostalgia and relationship i had with that particular music i had at the time may me spontaneously get on

^ Cold turkey yes, and it's taking all my will power to not go use again... I don't really have anything to help me, I'm not even using immodium or anything to help me through it just dealing with it as I can... the music thing does suck I would like to listen to some of my favorite songs without feeling a powerful urge to use but oh well. :\

I haven't heard from the hospital yet, I was meant to go to a drug and alcohol counselling appointment today but was too sick.

just started on the program (methadone) , hopefully in 8 months shld be 100% drug free inc pharms

occasional drinks il treat myself too though

^what are you using methadone to treat? surely not codeine i hope.

Theres a fairly large section in the new codeine faq/megathread we're compiling on the issue of using pharmacotherapy to treat less-severe addictions like codeine.

I was on the H for a while, and decided to give it the kick when the shooting started.
Anyone on the road to Clean - Strongly I suggest Suboxone otherwise known as Subetex or Buprenorphine or the Bupe, I went everyday for one month and it was awsome, it helped me overcome addiction. Once you feel comfortable enough to come of the program ( In Australia we gotta go to a Clinic everyday to get dosed) it becomes YOUR CHOICE to relapse or STAY STRONG. It helps you physcially, but MENTALLY, that has to be totally up the person.

Yeah wise advice. Ok well for the next couple months going to save it for the 21sts coming up. The weird thing is I'm a curious person and am curious to see what withdrawals are like but at the same time my common sense is telling me to not be stupid

OMG your the 1st person I heard say they wanna know what withdrawl is like. Anyone who's been through it knows it sucks big time. Withdrawl is like going to hell and back, litterally, don't let curiousity get the better of you. I almost suicided over it, not cool.

Thanks for the words brother, I am actually using 1200mg at once of codeine unfortunately. It's better then I used to be though, I have had the will power to cut down the dose a bit so that is a good start my psychs said yesterday.

My psychs all seem set on wanting me in hospital for a detox, seriously I am starting to not feel so crash hot on the idea especially because of recent big events with my girlfriend I would rather be with her and detoxing rather then stuck in hospital.

Strange that the tramadol helped you out, I thought it's major metabolite, O-desmethyltramadol, was a full agonist?

I threw myself straight into an addiction pretty much, as soon as I liked codeine I began using it everyday and then starting using other opioids after that as often as I could get them, I am not a very well person mentally and the thought of having an addiction didn't really bother me for a long time.

I think it's great your girlfriend is there to help you out, if you start hiding your use from her then that's a definite warning sign. Keep her in the loop and help each other out, you can use opioids recreationally and honestly I would hate to see you go through the pain of an addiction it could easily tear you apart from your girlfriend, that's why I am quitting now actually.

Second that, addiction ruins relationships, it destroyed mine with my bf, his family found out as did mine...were still together, both clean, but our relationships is wounded, and both our familys don't want us together...It's sad.

h3lls.angel a lot of the points you were pointing out there in your initial posts are covered in the original post.

Buprenorphine has a more protracted withdrawal than heroin, as does methadone.. Bupe is the lesser of two evils, but i think everyone should give abstinence a go before trying OMT. I'm no longer dependant on opioids, and i'd like to think the OMT program had something to do with that. I personally think its due to me never wanting to go through a bupe or done w/d again that keeps me above water.

^That's not a large amount at all... I'd use 10 80s in a day. infact i've done a whole pack..

People really expect dependence to come much easier than it does.

^ holy shoot that is a lot man. is that shooting? i honestly dont know how you would manage that, youd spend a good part of the day just dosing.

i just came off withdrawls from a 2 month heroin binge, just smoking not shooting. it was pretty unpleasant. i had no idea what to expect because i never left enough time between dosing to get to withdrawls, now that i do know i think ill stay clear of it for the most part. i have an empty wallet now so i cant afford it anyway. but i guess where there's a will there's a way, especially when it comes to addictive drugs. i found the worst part the chronic insomnia, sleeping is one of my true talents but i hardly slept for 3 days after coming off it. everytime i tried to close my eyes my eyelids would kind of spasm and twitch, i would just end up staring at the ceiling for hours. also i found i became quite emotionally volatile, not violent but on the verge of tears for things that usually wouldnt bother me. i cant imagine how horrible 6+ weeks of that would be. i feel sorry for the poor guys and girls i see prowling the streets in richmond looking for their dealer, now i get why they look so desperate. on the plus side its nice having a sex drive again, and not being fucking itchy all the time. good luck ibis and the rest of you guys!

Great going with the thread mribis! - been on the program myself - it totally worked out for me (well - it worked until I hit a personal rough patch) - nice going!

^yeah not really guys, you just do larger doses. simple.

and based on that your tolerance escalates to unmanageable levels. I think this is the ONLY time that pharmacotherapy should be employed.

yeah i don't really understand people who want to get on a methadone or buprenorphine program when they've only been messing around with the less potent opiates, codeine in particular for a short period of time. it's a backwards move.

a short bupe taper for a large codeine habit i can understand, but not a fulltime maintenance program, imo. tapering down, using over the counter products or straight cold turkey would be my plan of attack, anyway,

I think people with a Codeine problem would become addicted to buprenorphine, I think the wanting to get onto maintenance is because they most likely wouldnt be too informed on how potent buprenorphine or methadone is,
30mg of Codeine is equiv to 0.075mg of buprenorphine,
a 400mg a day dose would be equiv to 0.962mg, the average daily dose given for maintance in Australia is ~ 12mg, if a dose half this size was given to someone who was just used to codeine they would be high as a kite for 24hours, and most likely very very sick.
it would only cause problems, although people who need maintenance medication should be able to get it.
it could be life saving.

correct me if my math is wrong here

sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiate_comparison < very interesting
http://www.health.wa.gov.au/cpop/publications/docs/C-POP_annual_report_2007.pdf < where i came up with the Australian average, it is only "in the ballpark figure"

Last edited:
They can give doses as low as 0.4mg for codeine addicts. I was started on 4mg daily for a poppy seed habbit so they definitely gauge your addiction before dosing you, they aren't stupid enough to give someone with barely any tolerance 12mg and have them OD and die.

^ Exactly, they are going to give you an appropriate dose not something wildly huge.

If you don't mind my asking rolls, when was your poppy seed habit and for how long?

I was using 2kg at once and every second day as it was strong enough it would last into the 2nd day. Did that for a few months and then quit maybe 5 times for up to 3 weeks, would drop down to 500g every few days or 1kg every few days, maybe interchanging it with codeine to get my tolerance down, this went on for another 8 months or so.

Then about half way through last year one of my best mates commited suicide, this along with the stress of being in my 4th year of engineering tipped me over, went back to do 1kg daily although the seeds were heavily washed so much weaker.

Kept doing 1kg maybe 4-5 days a week for another few months trying to quit a few times but withdrawal made studying impossible so I ended up getting outpatient rehab. That was basically a 5 day suboxone taper which worked well but I relapsed a few weeks later as it wasn't the physical symptoms that tripped me up it was the psychological effects due to having no motivation to study etc. Took 8mg to hold my 1kg a day habbit without getting cold sweats and withdrawal at night initially then very quickly dropped to 4mg (was keen to get my dosage down asap) and have done a slow transition to 2mg over the past few months.

Since then I've been on low dose suboxone maintenance for the last 8 months dropping down from 8mg a day now to 2mg a day. Aiming to drop down to 0.4mg a day then 0.2mg every couple of days before jumping off completely.

I've managed to keep a 75% study load at uni now in my final year of engineering throughout this without failing any units so I would have to say it has been very successful so far.

Last edited: