• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

OK!! a Great start!! You have plenty of free time , and meetings are Free ( $2 if you have it, if not Help clean up at end of meeting)
You can get what you need from Meetings (AA works great for booze) better than what you are doing Now??
All is well - ICE

if youre not going to inpatient, consider attempting to cut out the liqour. drink more beer if you have to while doing that, because that is easier to taper down with then the hard stuff. i was drinking 24+ beers a day for 2 years, 6+ every day for 10+ years when i went to jail... also hooked on PST and full agonist opiates... no comfort meds except ibuprofin & 75mg hydroxyzine 3x daily. the WD was bad, but had it been liqour i know i would've been in medical trouble. cutting out the liqour is a somewhat easy step in the right direction. try it and see what happens... if its that bad... well theres always the liquor store, or inpatient. you shouldnt seize if you have beers running through you...

Thats an interesting point of view, the liquor was one of the first things i considered cutting down on. Thats when it really started getting bad, was a cheaper alternative. I've kept it around because its kinda weird drinking a few beers at 8 am in front of the family when i can take a couple shots real quick to suppress the withdrawal symptoms. Gonna take it one day at a time and just monitor how many i've had each day and try not to get impulsive

why does alcohol even mixed taste like ass?

i have no drugs so i have to resort to this shit

i feel so dirty

why do i still drink?
why oh why oh why

it drives me craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazeeeee and i feel alright
baby thinkin of booze keeps me up all night

Keep it up we gonna put you in the bluelight drunk tank. Handle your liquor homie.

Alcohol doesn't taste bad at all. High concentrations simply burn. The taste itself is minimal.

Try 1,4-butanediol, that actually tastes like something disgusting (sort of like melted plastic).

I understand addiction but alcoholism is one I'll never personally comprehend. It's numbing like a Benzo but doesn't release much dopamine for me at all. Helps you get laid, makes food taste great, relax, and etc. But sitting indoors all day drinking and reducing hour after hour isn't thrilling like people find with stimulants or opiates. My family has a history of alcoholism too maybe I just didn't inherit it.

For sure alcoholism is a higher risk for an addict who is without other fixes, and I think that for most of our society all drugs are taboo so drinking is the one of choice even though ironically it's stronger than meth lol. Maybe alcohol just feels way better to other people. It makes me feel like crap though. I don't know if you can be addicted to a substance you don't love though. I doubt you'd become an alcoholic lol--you'd probably have become one long ago if you didn't have other preferences.

I understand addiction but alcoholism is one I'll never personally comprehend. It's numbing like a Benzo but doesn't release much dopamine for me at all. Helps you get laid, makes food taste great, relax, and etc. But sitting indoors all day drinking and reducing hour after hour isn't thrilling like people find with stimulants or opiates. My family has a history of alcoholism too maybe I just didn't inherit it.

For sure alcoholism is a higher risk for an addict who is without other fixes, and I think that for most of our society all drugs are taboo so drinking is the one of choice even though ironically it's stronger than meth lol. Maybe alcohol just feels way better to other people. It makes me feel like crap though. I don't know if you can be addicted to a substance you don't love though. I doubt you'd become an alcoholic lol--you'd probably have become one long ago if you didn't have other preferences.
Alcohol makes me care less about myself and other people. I find it an immense relief. It imparts a detached floating sensation that benzos do not quite match. It is a drug for those who enjoy apathy and disconnection.

I understand addiction but alcoholism is one I'll never personally comprehend.

Availability is certainly a factor, and social acceptance of use, as you mentioned.

Easiest buzz to chase, for me, anyway.

Also, nothing gets rid of dry mouth pasties better than a can of cold, cheap lager.

Taste is subjective. I LOVE scotch, for example, but have yet to find a paletable bourbon.

I love alcohol, but i just cant drink much any more. I get way way to thirsty. It does not help at all. I used to drink alone after work as a night cap or to relax, and before that would drink a lot to chase any buzz once I quite opiates. Lately though its just gotten boring, drinking in moderation now can be fun with a fun girl, or the homies, but otherwise I just get thirsty, and sleepy and a headache. Its just not for me anymore, even though i wish it was.

As for flavor, it most definitely is an acquired taste. I used to love neat bourbon, but again makes me too thirsty. From what ive heard, a lot of the classic mixed drinks and cocktails were invented to mask the flavor of bootleg alcohol and moonshine during prohibition. As far as history before that period, there wasn't much to drink besides tea, coffee, and bad water, so fine tuning your alcohol production into beer, wine and spirits makes complete since, considering most water would make you sick. Kinda like small beer, if irc.

Mike Rowe from the Discovery network has a good doc called "How booze built America" that's really neat.

I also get really thirsty and can't drink much anymore. I find drinking low abv beers around 4 percent helps with the thirst and not drinking more than 2 beers. I used to be able to drink beer all night but now I get multiple day hangovers from as little as 3 or 4.

I think alcohol has major advantages over other drugs though. Compared with opiates its far less physically addicting. You need to drink way more than I am capable of drinking to get physically hooked.

Alcohol is my choice when I’m with ppl who don’t Party and socially. However, I also drink so I can tolerate frustrating people in my life. I was never really a big drinker when I was younger... After some career choices and situations that happen in my life I now have become more of a drinker and then I probably should be. If I’m not working it’s quite possible that’ll have a drink when I get up. 🍷

Alcohol makes me care less about myself and other people. I find it an immense relief. It imparts a detached floating sensation that benzos do not quite match. It is a drug for those who enjoy apathy and disconnection.

You said it perfectly. I drink for no reason other than to escape. Its not worth the damage it causes but thats life. I drink unlike very few people I have known and its not something it be proud of at all. I used to be addicted phsyically and had to consume hard liquor within 6 hours or I would begin withdrawl.

That period of my life was probably the worst I have ever been through. I maintained a "normal" life buf it was just a fake exsistance. I never understood what caused me to get to that point of misery. It was so fucking stupid and completely unjustified. I was sick everday no matter what and puking became normal to me.

I dont think I will ever be like that again, but who knows? I never thought it would happen to me until it was and I just allowed it. I was miserable but it was because I literally made it that way.

Last edited:
You said it perfectly. I drink for no reason other than to escape. Its not worth the damage it causes but thats life. I drink unlike very few people I have known and its not something it be proud of at all. I used to be addicted phsyically and had to consume hard liquor within 6 hours or I would begin withdrawl.

That period of my life was probably the worst I have ever been through. I maintained a "normal" life buf it was just a fake exsistance. I never understood what caused me to get to that point of misery. It was so fucking stupid and completely unjustified. I was sick everday no matter what and puking became normal to me.

I dont think I will ever be like that again, but who knows? I never thought it would happen to me until it was and I just allowed it. I was miserable but it was because I literally made it that way.
I'm glad you aren't completely at the mercy of alcohol anymore. I've never experienced full blown psychical dependence and I don't ever want to. Sound hellish.

I've been gifted with a relatively low stress life and access to plenty of other things to lean on when I feel the need to escape.

That being said I drink often. Most nights. Especially when I'm alone and just vegging out watching TV or reading the web.

My mother and step father drank to "unwind" almost every night from the time they remarried when I was around 12 and onward. I guess I just picked up that it was normal to drink at least one beer or glass of wine in the evening.

I skip it sometimes for up to a month but I always go back. Sometimes I abuse alcohol but I almost always pick a big drinking holiday so it is percieved as "normal" in the United States.

Speaking as someone who can't use drugs and drinks what might be considered "too much", I personally don't think any alcoholic on Earth actually enjoys it. Just my theory.
Quote for truth. I started drinking regularly when I had pretty much given up on making the world any better.

The thing about alcohol is that it's an escape from, but also cause of anxiety and depression for me. It's a shitty, repetitive cycle. My avatar sums it up nicely. I would absolutely much rather get my chemical euphoria by taking benzos (aside from actually dealing with my issues, which I am trying/ medicated for) than booze. The fact that obtaining enough to bring on the glow all day every day is impossible, I resort to drinking. I don't drink every night but lately I've been drinking purely to numb the pain inside. It induces apathy within me as opposed to the euphoria It once did; as my life changed drastically recently, I think I'm turning to it for a quick fix. It works for a few hours.. then crippling anxiety and headfuckery take hold of me for days after.
I usually stick to Cab Sav and I guess I enjoy the flavour at least.

Focus on problems,
you'll have
more problems.
When you focus on
possibillities , you'll
have more
opportunities.
Dream.Wish.Make it happen.
You will get there !
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I understand addiction but alcoholism is one I'll never personally comprehend. It's numbing like a Benzo but doesn't release much dopamine for me at all. Helps you get laid, makes food taste great, relax, and etc. But sitting indoors all day drinking and reducing hour after hour isn't thrilling like people find with stimulants or opiates.

Personally, (and this is true for most of my friends who are just as binge as me) alcohol acts in a very stimulating way after two drinks.
One pint only and I could fall asleep. Two or more and it's an automatic drinking session that last til sunrise or later...though, thankfully, we're getting too old for that.

That's just binge drinking though, I don't know about strict alcoholism where the need to drink all the time is a constant pressure.

So, for me, there isn't really that sort of slowing and shutting down. It just makes me hype which is a lot more attractive to me than being numb and down. I used to love stimulants and this just has the same sort of quality for me, which sounds weird I realise.

That being said, alcohol is fucked and I legit have to try and drink decent wines and flavourful cocktails to try and give me an excuse: oh, man, this shit tastes good, why wouldn't I drink it!?

Speaking of which, yo, OP....try a Negroni. I mean for taste.....not quite sure you should be drinking though, by the looks of it. And if it tastes like shit to you then all the more reason not to.

@tracedwards313, glad to hear you aren't dealing with the same dependence you were before. That sounds depressing as fuck.