• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

Despite having access to various alcoholic drinks, I insist on making my own one. According to google results, there are two methods for producing alcohol; Fermentation & Distillation.

Fermentation is the process of using yeast to convert sugar to alcohol. The concentration of alcohol cannot go much higher than about 15% because the alcohol then kills off the yeast.

Distillation is the process of concentrating the alcohol by boiling off , then condensing the results. The alcohol boils at a lower temperature than the water making it boil first so the early boiled material has a higher concentration of alcohol.

I prefer Fermentation method, which is easier than Distillation and takes less than three weeks to produce alcohol. I've used various natural/industrial juices, various bread/wine yeasts to make my own sugar wash. But the unpleasant taste (of yeast) is often what I fuss about. It makes my stomach upset, causes me to gag and puke. As an amateur home brewer I need some advice to help my sugar wash taste better. Thank U.

Despite having access to various alcoholic drinks, I insist on making my own one. According to google results, there are two methods for producing alcohol; Fermentation & Distillation.

Fermentation is the process of using yeast to convert sugar to alcohol. The concentration of alcohol cannot go much higher than about 15% because the alcohol then kills off the yeast.

Distillation is the process of concentrating the alcohol by boiling off , then condensing the results. The alcohol boils at a lower temperature than the water making it boil first so the early boiled material has a higher concentration of alcohol.

I prefer Fermentation method, which is easier than Distillation and takes less than three weeks to produce alcohol. I've used various natural/industrial juices, various bread/wine yeasts to make my own sugar wash. But the unpleasant taste (of yeast) is often what I fuss about. It makes my stomach upset, causes me to gag and puke. As an amateur home brewer I need some advice to help my sugar wash taste better. Thank U.

Distillation doesn't produce alcohol, only fermentation does. Distillation merely brings the alcohol that was produced via fermentation to higher concentrations.

Ex.: Fermentation of grapes by saccharomyces cerevisiae produces wine (approx 12.5% alcohol) => distillation of wine produces brandy (approx. 50% alcohol). The total amount of alcohol doesn't increase (in fact you're probably going to lose some during the process); you're just taking a large volume of a moderately alcoholic drink, and turning it into a small volume of a strongly alcoholic drink.

Also, as falsifiedhypothesis said, distillation also brings with it the risk of methanol poisoning. Since methanol is more volatile than ethanol, the initial fraction of the distillate is going to contain more methanol than ethanol, making it far more toxic.

You're going to need to do more research than just this. There all kinds of things that can go wrong when ingesting homemade alcohol, methanol poisoning to name one.
Yes I agree. You could easily destroy your liver if you don’t know exactly what your doing.

what type of yeast did you use? did you kill the yeast before consuming? with regular fermentation you do not need to worry about methanol, only with distillation does it get concentrated enough to effect you.

what type of yeast did you use?

Sometimes I use a wine yeasts, other times I prefer a bread/cake yeast. According to my latest researches, wine yeast is bred to obtain higher alcohol level than bread yeast means less CO2 gas. But either way I'll have to make sure the yeast is fresh and fast action as they speed up the process of fermentation (correct me if i'm wrong)

did you kill the yeast before consuming?

Is that necessary? How can I do that?

killing the yeast is not necessary but live yeast will give you an upset stomach and will taste bad. so it is best to kill it and filter if you want a better tasting drink. the fast acting wine yeast sounds good though

you can kill the yeast by putting it in the fridge or freezer the cold temp will kill the yeast or at least make it inactive

I read the title as "why does my sugar taste bad" thats how you know its beddy bye time for me

I've read the whole thread, but I still haven't got a fuckin clue what a 'sugar wash' is...

I was convinced that methanol cannot be formed from sugar in an inert (non organic) container.
I think you need fruit or the yeast won't have the precursor to make methanol.

Also, without distillation it should not be possible to have enough methanol to be poisoned anyway.

So without distillation procedure should be safe, although on the taste might not please refined palates.

Oh my, you need help. It's far too early to reply now, but I'll try and remember to get back here. PM if you want.