• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

^They all make me fall over and they all do it in such fun unique ways. I'm a fan of Jaeger as an after dinner drink, I believe in rural Germany they'd call it a digestif.

I like to take vodka and soak it in strawberries for a week, strain, enjoy with lemonade. Mmmmmm.

But yeah, I really, really love alcohol euphoria, it's the only drug I can't stop once I start. One leads to two, two to four, four to eight, and eight to, "Who's bed am I in, where's my wallet, why do I have a hook-shaped scar on my chest?!" moments.

I found alcohol more euphoric than benzos, but benzos became more of a cornerstone of my life -- pretty soon, I couldn't imagine enjoying *anything* without having taken a BZD dose first, while I still saw the value in doing at least *some* things without being drunk.

But conversely, benzos never fully substituted for the disinhibited euphoria of alcohol, so starting daily BZD use didn't necessarily stop or even slow down my drinking habits. In particular, I had already gotten used to falling alseep in the "stupor" state that belongs more to alcohol than benzodiazepines (or Z-drugs even), so I'd end up seeking that state as the one I "needed" to be in to get to sleep.

With heavier-dose opiates, on the other hand, the euphoria was of a quality and quantity that it pretty quickly managed to make heavy drinking (and eventually benzo use) both unnecessary and actually undesirable, since it would throw off the equilibrium of the high, the functional euphoria of energetic apathy that seemed like bliss itself. However, in later-stage withdrawal, lower-dose maintenance, and "sobriety," the oblivion of alcohol would reappear as a desirable state to achieve.

The euphoric effect of stimulants was in the beginning inseparable from alcohol, either as an accompaniment or to mitigate the comedown, but I came to appreciate them unaccompanied while benzos/gabapentinoid/opiates mostly substituted for the latter use.

And of all the "superior" drug euphorias there may be, I think alcohol is still near the top in terms of its "social" effect -- lowering inhibitions, increasing talkativeness, diminishing shyness, blotting out self-awareness, etc.

I agree with F.U.B.A.R. there is definitely different effects from different alcoholic drinks and they become more apparent as you become more familiar with them. Sometimes you will encounter science nerds who will try to deny this and say alcohol is alcohol, all the differences are all in your head but I would argue that is not a very scientific point of view as there are easily explainable reasons why beer for example, might give you a different effect than vodka. For one, beer contains hops which are mildly psychoactive in themselves, so it makes sense they would influence the experience. In addition, beer is much lower in alcohol than vodka and it contains carbohydrates, proteins, sugars and by products of fermentation that are removed in the distillation process. All of these factors have influences on the body and while they may be subtle in comparison to alcohol, there's no reason to think they couldn't add their own character to the effects of alcohol.

I get very noticeably different effects from beer, wine, cider, whiskey and mead. Mead is probably the most notable in that I get a strange relaxing body buzz not present from any other alcoholic beverage. Does anyone else experience that from mead?

What is a little harder to explain is why people say that different liquors have different effects since they are all distilled and fairly similar to each other. Of course some of it probably is in their heads and has to do with the associations they have with each drink. But there are still subtle differences between different liquors which theoretically could influence the buzz. In my experience I seem to get a different type of buzz drinking lager beer than ale beer. Lager gives me a more energetic clear headed type of buzz. I can't really give a good explanation for this considering they are pretty much made from the same ingredients except a different yeast and different fermentation method.

Last edited:
And of all the "superior" drug euphorias there may be, I think alcohol is still near the top in terms of its "social" effect -- lowering inhibitions, increasing talkativeness, diminishing shyness, blotting out self-awareness, etc.
QFT.

I agree with that also. A lot of illegal drug users seem to discount alcohol but are they forgetting that most of the other so called party drugs have some serious draw backs alcohol doesn't have? For example cocaine has the potential to kill you via a stroke or heart attack. MDMA is way, way worse for your brain than alcohol and can't as easily be used in low doses. Speed? Well be prepared to not sleep. Opiates (if you even consider them a social drug) get ready for major tolerance and physical dependence issues.

That's very much a matter of debate. I don't see alcohol ever getting replaced but it definitely does more brain damage than reasonable doses of MDMA.

So you're saying someone drinking 5 or 6 beers 4 -5 times a week for 6 months would do more brain damage than someone taking 100 mg of MDMA 4-5 times a week for 6 months?

Or someone drinking 5 or 6 beers once a month for one year would do more damage than someone taking 100 mg MDMA once a month for one year?

Or someone drinking 5 or 6 beers once a month for one year would do more damage than someone taking 100 mg MDMA once a month for one year?
Responsible use of either drug, we know for a fact that alcohol has more potential for actual physical damage. No one who has a brain takes MDMA more than once in a blue moon, but people think it's okay to drink until they die. I'm not saying that you can take MDMA willy nilly. I'm saying by its very nature, alcohol is more toxic. Using either daily is bound to fuck your brain up.

Rather if you phrased it, binge drink liquor once a month, or MDMA once a month, because let's be frank, no one stops at 6 drinks. I don't, if I make it past 2 it's going to be the whole twelve pack/bottle at that point.

So once a month binge drinking=more toxic than once a month mild MDMA use.

Wouldn't something be considered more toxic the longer you had to wait to safely take it again though

Wouldn't something be considered more toxic the longer you had to wait to safely take it again though
Sure, but let's say, you drink 500ml liquor in one go, vs 200mg MDMA; which would do more damage?

Toxicity is also relative to single dosages. So I'd say alcohol is by far the more toxic of the two, it's literally poison, that's how it works.

I mean, how many kids wake up in an emergency room from an alcohol OD vs an MDMA OD?

Seriously, do y'all not realize alcohol is poison? I love it but it is what it is, poison. Delicious, caustic, wonderful poison.

Or let me ask, have any of y'all succumbed to the lies that alcohol preaches and woken up with broken bones that you don't recall breaking? I have. Gimme a roll any day over fucking breaking my ribs and scarring the shit out out of my brain and body.

But, is 500ml liquor equal to 200mg mdma, or 400mg mdma? Whos to really say, and I think would depend on tolerance. I also don't think we have a ton (I could be wrong) of evidence of either being "bad for your brain" when used once within moderation. Anything out of moderation is just bad in general is how I see it.

Yeah fair enough, I don't know how you'd equate the two dosage wise.

The point I'm trying to make is we know that alcohol causes liver and brain damage over time, even if you just have a few pints on the weekend. Once in a blue moon MDMA use doesn't cause such issues.

Did you know just sloshing your brain around in your head while head-banging to some music can do damage?

Idk, I guess a night of serotonin release just sounds way more worthwhile to me than boozing these days, I can't count how many times I've woken up in pain, full of regret, after a night with booze.

Yea alcohol probably damages a lot more lives in irreparable ways than mdma if I had to guess. Wish we knew more about mdma's effects on the brain though, long term studies and such. Would be great to have more studies on all the illegal drugs, especially the psychs

Well outside of Shaun Ryder and Bez of the Happy Mondays, not a lot of people end up taking Ecstasy daily for prolonged periods (though plenty do overdo it), while that accounts for a good percentage of the population where alcohol is concerned.

Part of that is down to price and availability, but I think some part is attributable to the natures of the drugs themselves. Alcohol is just more conducive (subjectively and objectively) to chronic heavy use than MDMA, which makes it the more dangerous of the two, IMO.

The point I'm trying to make is we know that alcohol causes liver and brain damage over time, even if you just have a few pints on the weekend. Once in a blue moon MDMA use doesn't cause such issues.

First off, show me proof alcohol causes liver and brain damage from just having a few pints on the weekend. Second, you have to go back to the context of my initial comment which was that other sociable drugs have major downsides alcohol doesn't have and in the case of MDMA the downside is that it is so hard on the brain it can only be taken once in a blue moon.

So euphoric 10 times outta ten I gotta find something else to get me on a proper level after the initial buzz wears off and increasing amounts just mean disasters are highly likely sickness imminent and euphoria is trash for me on it alone.

Like it always makes me get propylhexedrine or cannabis and then it is just a binge.

Alcohol is decent if you can moderate it and learn to synergize it in lower amounts otherwise on its own it never did it for me. I was clean for years and started drinking wine and beer moderately but it only lasted several months me being content on just that recreationally on weekends before my past addictions resurfaced and now I can't enjoy alcohol at all as I am a raging drunkard.

I mean, how many kids wake up in an emergency room from an alcohol OD vs an MDMA OD?

That's cause a lot more kids are using alcohol a lot more frequently than MDMA. If MDMA use was as frequent and widespread as alcohol we'd see a lot more ER visits.

Rather if you phrased it, binge drink liquor once a month, or MDMA once a month, because let's be frank, no one stops at 6 drinks. I don't, if I make it past 2 it's going to be the whole twelve pack/bottle at that point.

No one stops at 6 drinks? Are you kidding me? You must be from Russia or Belarus or something where they don't even put screw tops on their vodka bottles because they assume there isn't going to be any leftover. In the rest of the world, the majority of people stop at six drinks or less a majority of the time.