• Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Football 2022 NCAA Football

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn’t find a thread for it yet

If I missed it then mods please merge this one. Sorry for the extra work :/

everything very boring so far

i was hoping TLB could make his infamous predictions before today, but @TheLoveBandit can still check in here with his thoughts

i think he will find the time since uk is traveling to Gainesville next weekend ;)
I’m hoping Notre Dame OSU is exciting at least. Seems like it will be so far (I’m definitely not biased at all)

I’m unfamiliar with TLB’s predictions but now I’m curious ??

Seems like Florida and Utah are having a good matchup too so I’m sure he’s excited rn

Couldn’t find a thread for it yet

Taint nary one. I was supposed to get on it but ... real life (job, all day Saturday obligations, etc). I'll try to stay on top of this going forward. Be good to bring some more NCAAF fans out of the woodwork.

this Oregon Georgia game is so fucking boring lmao

My thoughts on this, because I didn't know it was a thing:
  • FUCK UGA
  • LMAO, us Gator fans are predicting Miami has good recruiting then implodes under bad coaching. Critobal did that at ORE, under delivered but recruited well. Now it seems the guy taking over for him can't say the cupboard was bare, only that he coaches them even worse.
  • PAC12 is over rated, as will be proved AGAIN and AGAIN this season.
    • lmao at USC/UCLA running for B10 (that can't count) and ORE-WASH being courted as well. But I'll get into conference expansions later.
  • I'll cut ORE a little slack travelling cross country and opening against a top 3 team, that is a tough open.
  • FUCK UGA AGAIN

I’m hoping Notre Dame OSU is exciting at least. Seems like it will be so far (I’m definitely not biased at all)

Where's a meteor strike when you really, really need one? I'm still wondering if ND can stay independent, or if they join the B10 (more natural) or ACC (better chance of winning, but it may get punked as well in re-alignments). Of the two, I hate ND more, so there's that. Still a boring af game.

Seems like Florida and Utah are having a good matchup too so I’m sure he’s excited rn

#7 Utah (2.5) @ UF
Most of us Gator fans have been (overly) optimistic, praying for the new coach to not be a dud like the last 3. Everything we heard was promising in terms of staff, organization, discipline, etc. But the proof comes when the whistle blows. I got home in time to catch the whole game, yay. The opening fumble that led to a 7-0 lead by Utah was disappointing - consider how the game would have gone without that. We tied it up, held them to a pair of FGs and scored again to take the lead into halftime. Overall, we KNEW our QB (AR15) is a stud, we just didn't know how vanilla the offense would be (need to do enough to win over #7 dammit), how well the offense would adapt to the new scheme or the coaches to the talent they have available. Yes, our stud QB had a 45y TD run on a broken play, but the takeaways are that a) he recognized and didn't force a pass, b) he outsizes and out speeds a lot of DBs, and c) we scored! Other than the QB, we knew we had a good stable of RBs, didn't know who would man up and who wouldn't. 2 of them fumbled, which can be addressed. 1 transfer sr didn't play, he ended up in the weight room at midnight - taking the message to improve rather than bitching on social media. We really don't know about the WRs but the TEs were expected to be good. Who TF is Pearsall? On defense, we thought we'd out man Utah - yes they have a good QB, TEs and a RB, but we thought we could outsize them on the line and our DBs could cover. Our LBs were a known weak point, but they did OK. The guy getting the INT to seal the game got burned most of the night by the TEs, and he's one of our better LBs. Lots of room to improve on defense, especially with first tackles (too many got broken), and scheming to hide our weak LBs. The SEC schedule will put more beef on the line against us, but not many have the talent at skill positions, we should be alright.

Take away that early fumble and +7 to Utah, and we dominate most of the game. A few breakdowns on defense, but we don't end up on the edge of our seat with out rear ends puckered hoping they don't win it in a last second play. We won by 3, should have been 10 or more. Feels good. Ready for KY.

Other weak 1 games (yes homonym used intentionally for all the cupcakes):

WV 31 @ #17 Pitt 38 - The backyard brawl - lived up to the name, glad to see that be competitive. Not sure where Pitt's ranking came from, let's see if they can hold it.

#5 ND 10 @ #2 tOSU - fk them both. I hope ND loses another 3-5 games, but their only ranked games are @#25BYU, vs#4CLEM, and @#14USC. BYU and USC ought not be ranked by the time they face ND. They have another soft schedule, hopefully that keeps them out of the CFP. tOSU faces vs#18WISC, @#15MSU, vs IOWA, @psu, and close vs #8MICH. A few tougher games than ND will see, which should give them a clear path to their conf championship and on to CFP for a real game.

#11 ORE 3 @ #3 UGA 49 - never really a game, was it? I'll take a little SEC pride as I continue to repeat myself with FK UGA.

#13NC State4 21 @ East Carolina 20
NC State has to hang on and watch ECU miss a 42y FG at the end in order to win. At ECU!!!! Thoughts & Predictions: NCST is over ranked, which will be resolved by the next rankings or the one after.

#23 CINC 24 @ #19 ARK 31 - Good season opener for both. I'll call it even, in that ARK won, but had homefield and a slightly better ranking. I expect Cinci will finish in the top 2 of their (weak) conference. Meh. ARK will face the SEC west, and basically be beat to sht.

MIA(OH) 13 @ #20 KY 37 - Was a 13-10 game for KY at halftime. THAT didn't speak well. Seems coach Stoops lit into 'em at halftime and they started playing the type ball he demands in the second half by holding MIA(OH) to only a FG. KY's schedule is actually respectable, and I'm not fluffing up the SEC(East). Yes, MIA(OH) is a bit of a cupcake, but they've done well at their level. KY has also slated Youngstown State and NIU for ooc games, and while they are lower division, they can be very tough, moreso than many of the cupcakes others seem to be putting on the schedule. Then they clos the season with LOU, who is unranked now, but is a rivalry game and can generally play tough. Not seeing many soft spots on their schedule, any wins by the end of the season will be earned. Where will they finish in the SECEast? I think UGA wins it, and KY-UF fight it out for second.

#25BYU 50 @ SFL 21 - Something doesn't add up. BYU jumped out 28-0 in Q1, let SFL score in Q2-3, and closed Q3 up 47-21. I get they flew across the country, into FL heat and humidity, but if you can score 50 you ought no be letting the other team score 21. SFL was shut out in Q4, so did BYU put the starters back in after letting up in Q1 or did SFL figure something out for awhile before BYU adjusted and shut them back down? I can't say. I can say that BYU is again over rated, but either them or Utah will end the season ranked based on who wins the Holy War. It's the only real game either will see after this and finish ranked 20-25 with a mediocre sos. Wait, wait, wait. I see BYU plays @ #10BAY, @#11ORE, @#5ND, then hosts #19ARK and ever dangerous East Carolina....they will finish unranked with 4-5 losses.

======
Non-Ranked other games (some week 0, some week 1)

NEB 28 @ NW 31 - Big10 yawn.

VANdy 63 @ HAWAII 10 - Nice vacation game for VAN, the little brother you like to see win ooc sometimes, but know they will remain the doormat of the SEC East.

CMU 44 @ #12 OSU 58 - um....what? Appears OSU is over ranked as well. This should NEVER happen.

PSU 35 @ PUR 31 - nice road win for the lions. Otherwise, B10 Meh.

VT 17 @ ODU 20 - Beamer Ball is dead. Waiting for the new guy to get things going.

SDST 3 @ IOWA 7 - you read that right, South Dakota State, technically a D1 school now, goes INTO IOWA and comes away with a 4pt loss. What you don't read in that, which is even juicier and more delicious, is the box score. Iowa got a FG in Q1, countered by a SDSU FG in Q2 for a 3-3 halftime. IOWA manages a safety in Q3 and another in Q4 to make it a (UGLY) football score. So much for the mystique of Kinnick Stadium, or any sense of offense from IOWA.

Rutgers 22 @ BC 21 - B10 road win among schools nobody cares about. Meh.

NC 63 @ Appy State 61 - down to the wire, with Appy scoring 40 points in Q4. Check for highlights.

DEL 14 @ Navy 7 - so much for Navy upsetting anyone (ND) this year :|

= = = =
UPCOMING:

FSU @ LSU -4.0 (Sun nite) - Meteor. But I'll pull for LSU (SEC) to win by more than 4, and then resume cheering for a meteor. F$U was so desperate to break their opening game winless streak they scheduled Dusquene in week 0 to get a win, barely at 47-7, and didn't cover the spread. LSU is gonna be bad for a bit, I'm not sure Kelly can pull them up. He had build in advantages as ND, and while I get trying to prove yourself at a different school (and without the pressure), coming to the SEC was not wise.

#4 CLEM -23.5 @ GT (Mon Nite) - Clemson covers, and is over ranked. But they play in the weak ACC, so whatchyagonnado?

I watched a bit of the ecu ncsu game. I was pulling for east Carolina and was disappointed to see them lose in such a way.

UK has a long history of starting games half asleep and having to battle back. They do better with their backs against the wall. I think stoops coaches better that way. When he started the football program was in the gutter so he would like to keep the underdog/cat mentality as long as he can.

but that kind of mental hocus pocus doesn't work against other well coached teams . It comes down to talent and grit that's why no one ever gives us a chance against Georgia because they simply overwhelm us in those aspects.

PAC12 is over rated, as will be proved AGAIN and AGAIN this season.
  • lmao at USC/UCLA running for B10 (that can't count) and ORE-WASH being courted as well. But I'll get into conference expansions later.
yes very over rated. i don't think they'll even exist in 5-10 years tbh. i think they'll continue to lose teams to realignment.

it pisses me off that USC and UCLA are joining the big 10. it basically destroys the idea of an east vs. west rose bowl. i'm imagining a USC Utah rose bowl, for example. it'd just be fucking stupid

I'm still wondering if ND can stay independent, or if they join the B10 (more natural) or ACC (better chance of winning, but it may get punked as well in re-alignments)
I'd actually love to see notre dame join the big 10. regular ND matchups with Michigan and Michigan St would be fun. plus i think there are some other natural rivalries (Wisco ?) that could form, even if not historically a headline game. sort of like how Penn State OSU has quickly become a game that both fanbases really look forward to even tho we rarely played them before the 90s

Most of us Gator fans have been (overly) optimistic
and we dominate most of the game
QED

jokes aside, your QB was quite fun to watch. but i won't judge the rest of the team until i see them play some SEC opponents tbh, given that we've established Pac12 is over rated. still a win over top 10 ranked opponent can't be scoffed at. i remain cautiously positive about how yall's season could go.

#5 ND 10 @ #2 tOSU - fk them both. I hope ND loses another 3-5 games, but their only ranked games are @#25BYU, vs#4CLEM, and @#14USC. BYU and USC ought not be ranked by the time they face ND. They have another soft schedule, hopefully that keeps them out of the CFP. tOSU faces vs#18WISC, @#15MSU, vs IOWA, @psu, and close vs #8MICH. A few tougher games than ND will see, which should give them a clear path to their conf championship and on to CFP for a real game.
Notre Dame is definitely not winning out from here, and i think with 2 losses they won't qualify.

I think we actually would perform much better in the CFP this year than we would've in past years. and that's almost entirely a function of jim knowles now running the defense.

i think once our wide receivers feel more comfortable, we'll be fine on the other side of the ball too (never thought i'd have to worry this much about our WR performance...) we just need to get them more playing time i think. and smith-njigba has to stay healthy :|

i think a natl championship berth is quite possible. not confident we'd win against bama or UGA tho.

WV 31 @ #17 Pitt 38 - The backyard brawl - lived up to the name, glad to see that be competitive. Not sure where Pitt's ranking came from, let's see if they can hold it.
i was at a watch party in morgantown during this. it was fun to see the old rivalry renewed like that. west virginians definitely have not forgotten their hatred.

I was pulling for east Carolina and was disappointed to see them lose in such a way.
that kicker has to be on suicide watch rn

How do you guys make sense of the college stage?
by parroting opinions i read on twitter because i'm too lazy to follow things outside of the games that actually affect my team in some form or another

FSU @ LSU -4.0 (Sun nite) - Meteor. But I'll pull for LSU (SEC) to win by more than 4, and then resume cheering for a meteor.

So, I turned that shtshow off when LSU forced a punt with 2min left then muffed the catch and appeared to give F$U a walk in 2TD lead. I was unaware the refs called the ball down (no advance to endzone) and LSU defense made a stand, got the ball, and the LSU offense went the length of the field in under 2min just to miss the FG and lose by 1. FK both those teams, looked like a slightly more athletic HS pickup game of scramble and make up plays on both sides of the ball. Utter trash, but it makes me look forward to playing LSU (my sister went there, so I always cheer against them, unless it's against someone I really hate like ND/F$U/tOSU).

stoops coaches better that way. When he started the football program was in the gutter so he would like to keep the underdog/cat mentality as long as he can.

He does like to coach from that position of 'the world is against us'. If he keeps building success, he's going to have to learn to coach differently. Good problem to have, and I I suspect he may stumble at that a bit since he's so used to this role.

How do you guys make sense of the college stage?

I'm also active on a Gator fan site, where there are much smarter football people than me. Yes, we wear Orange&Blue glasses, but we do talk about other teams, conferences, etc. That's how I pick up what little I have learned.

Now, if you man what do we think of the shifting landscape? I think we're headed to SEC-B10 mega-conferences of 16 teams each, splitting off from NCAA and running their own seasons and NC playoffs. NCAA recently opened discussions about letting go of the football system, likely to the CFP administration to run it, given the NIL and how it's shifting to a pay for play (losing collegiate ametuere status), and basically showing how they've not really had control over it for many decades. SEC was moving that way anyway (splitting off, building a mega-conference). B10 took notice and is trying to keep up, both are taking any decent teams left from ACC-P12-B12, and the remainders will be left to play among themselves on the outside. SEC-B10 will be like NFL having an AFC/NFC type split with pod type conferences and playoffs therein, keeping the majority of big $$$ for themselves. The thought in my mind is how greedy do they get? Do we end up doing relegation (ie, kick Vandy out and bring in someone else) at some point, or still cling to the farce of 'historical affiliations' that they are proving mean nothing all along the way?

it pisses me off that USC and UCLA are joining the big 10. it basically destroys the idea of an east vs. west rose bowl. i'm imagining a USC Utah rose bowl, for example. it'd just be fucking stupid

Hadn't thought ahead that far, but you're right. Bowl game matchups will become signifiantly undercut, but with the mega-conf reshuffling, I think the bowls become playoff locations for the mega-conf and/or 2nd tier bowls for those teams outside the mega-confs. Either way, they get repurposed as well, but will survive, just differently.

I joked among the Gator fans that we would come out with the win, and swelled heads, that would lead to us being over confident through KY and SFL (overlooking those immediately), and catch up to us in our first road trip which is @ TN where we come crashing back down to reality and only win by 4 TDs. :D

Now, if you man what do we think of the shifting landscape? I think we're headed to SEC-B10 mega-conferences of 16 teams each, splitting off from NCAA and running their own seasons and NC playoffs. NCAA recently opened discussions about letting go of the football system, likely to the CFP administration to run it, given the NIL and how it's shifting to a pay for play (losing collegiate ametuere status), and basically showing how they've not really had control over it for many decades. SEC was moving that way anyway (splitting off, building a mega-conference). B10 took notice and is trying to keep up, both are taking any decent teams left from ACC-P12-B12, and the remainders will be left to play among themselves on the outside. SEC-B10 will be like NFL having an AFC/NFC type split with pod type conferences and playoffs therein, keeping the majority of big $$$ for themselves. The thought in my mind is how greedy do they get? Do we end up doing relegation (ie, kick Vandy out and bring in someone else) at some point, or still cling to the farce of 'historical affiliations' that they are proving mean nothing all along the way?
i suppose if B10 and SEC both get large enough they can further subdivide internally, and still retain regional rivalries. i think the 'historical affiliations' isn't to be completely ignored. people still want to play historic rivals. granted, that's different than keeping e.g. Vandy in just to appease them. idk what the solution is tbh. with playoff expansion that's pretty much all anyone will care about now. other historically important bowl games pretty much lose all meaning. kinda sucks that anything other than natl championship will be seen as a disappointment now. the bowl games were nice consolation prizes.

but i also understand why expansion is happening... i'm just not sure if it's because the big television networks gaslit us into believing that natl champs are the true hallmark of a succesful program , or if fans actually wanted this on their own volition.

but quite frankly, i do look forward to Ohio State humbling some of these SEC teams in a 12 team tournament. so i won't complain too much.

Hadn't thought ahead that far, but you're right. Bowl game matchups will become signifiantly undercut, but with the mega-conf reshuffling, I think the bowls become playoff locations for the mega-conf and/or 2nd tier bowls for those teams outside the mega-confs. Either way, they get repurposed as well, but will survive, just differently.
lucas oil stadium execs are gonna throw a tantrum, but yeah i could see the B10 championship being held in pasadena. it sure would be weird to see something like Wisco Ohio St being called the rose bowl tho lol

I joked among the Gator fans that we would come out with the win, and swelled heads, that would lead to us being over confident through KY and SFL (overlooking those immediately), and catch up to us in our first road trip which is @ TN where we come crashing back down to reality and only win by 4 TDs. :D
godspeed, that's all i can say to y'all

i'm kinda grateful we started with a tough fought win. it humbles us a little. we can't just win games on talent anymore.

Week 2 Rundown:

#1 AL (-20) @ TX - SEC preview (I think TX/OU switch conf by 2025). Um, yeah, AL covers and then some.

#23 WF (-13) @ VAN - Brain Bowl!!! yawn....

Appy State @ #6 aTm (-18) - I think aTm wins, but doesn't cover.

#24 TN (-6.5) @ #17 PITT - Interesting matchup. Pitt may still have some bumps and bruises from their backyard brawl, but TN beating Ball State 59-10 did nothing for them, they will be overconfident as always. Granted, I want TN unbeaten when UF thrashes them, but I don't see them getting out of this game with a win. Pitt not only covers, but outright wins (by less than a TD).

#20KY @ #12 FLA (-4.5) - KY beat us last year, they need to be reminded of who they are and where they belong. UF by a gazillion!!! No seriously, KY made too much of a game against MIA(OH) and showed some weakness. I now understand the starting RB is out last week, this week, indefinitely, due to DUI. I expect KY to go 70/30 on passing/run plays, but I do expect UF to win by 17-24pts. I'll call it KY 10 - UF 31

#10 USC (-9) @ STAN - I want to feel like USC is overrated, but have nothing to base it on. I'll give USC the win by 13.

#9 BAY (-3.5) @ #21 BYU - Here is were BYU falls out of the rankings. I know little to nothing about BAY, but they should cover.

Debating putting some NCAAF memes in here vs the S&G meme thread....I'll put them there to kick some life into that thread and save the meltdowns for here <3

NSFW: It’s Meltdown Time! LSU, Oregon, Nebraska let their pathos shine

Oh, buddy, you knew LSU was checking in this week.

This weekend had some true coaching wizardry on display, including Oregon trotting out Bo Nix and expecting a competitive game, Brian Kelly and Mike Norvell one-upping the other in trying to get a buyout, and Virginia Tech kicking everything off with a solid road loss to Old Dominion. Special teams, my god, the special teams.

And don’t think for a second we forgot Scott Frost and Nebraska sharting all over Dublin either with the worst onside kick attempt in perhaps the history of modern college football.

NEBRASKA
OMGOMGOMG We did a good run thing!

I wonder if Kirk Herbstreit thinks we’ll still win the West.

Our punishment for firing a 9 win coach and not being content. There is no hot seat. It’s a puddle of molten steel

Say what you want, but I bet 95 year old Solich wouldn’t have called that on-side kick

WEST VIRGINNY
WVU needs a coach that doesn’t pee sitting down! Lot of faith in your O-line and running back to punt on 4th and inches!

Was the game filmed on 1992 era CCTV video equipment?.

Did you guys know this was the “backyard brawl”? Just wanted to make sure in case you didn’t hear the announcers say it 122 times.

OREGON
Can someone tell Oregon’s defense that this isn’t Flag Football ? Lol

Cristobal takes Miami to the playoffs this year. U of O is relegated down to an FCS school.

Phil Knight, in a prime time ABC interview, has this to say - “I’ve always loved the great state of Washington. Deep down I’ve always been a Huskie.”

“GODDAMMIT TURD FURGUSSEN YOU BLEW OUR ONLY CHANCE AT A GARBAGE TIME TD, WHICH IS WORTH THE SAME AMOUNT OF POINTS AS A REGULAR TD BUT ALSO MAKES YOU FEEL SMALL AND INSIGNIFICANT”

“OH GREAT, fucking highlights of Bo Nix beating us in different uniform”

“Sweet, so now Nix has beaten Oregon twice.”

“Nix is the worst QB I have seen play for Oregon since the 90’s. He can’t adjust the speed, float, or angle of his passes. It’s like watching a middle schooler throw a pass. Actually, an autistic middle schooler with one eye and vaginitis.”

Only down by 25 at the half. We got this!

LSWHO
You don’t remodel a neglected and dilapidated mansion in a week. It takes time.”
“Yeah but I expect better results from the contractor when I pay him $90M for the renovations.”

Dude is mad at LSU that he forgot how to catch the ball.

It looks like I’m not only one who’s decided to quit tonight.

Daniels out there looking like a poor man’s Emory Jones

That was the most obvious hold in the history of holds. If you’re not a center at Bama.

How in the hell did we manage to get worse on offense??

Hope none of you took the over on win totals.

If this is our best QB, post for open walk on try outs please.

LSU; playing dumb football.
FSU; hold my beer

I said it before he was hired and I’ll still be saying it after he’s fired: Fuck Brian Kelly. Fuck him then, now, always, and forever.

Though I guess him already being a complete dumpsterfire keeps me from having conflicting feelings after wins. Red-faced motherfucker acting like this was his first ever game as HC and not his 31st and his 13th at a (once) premier program while making $10M a year.

Two muffed punts, two blocked kicks, a shanked punt, and a dumb personal foul on a kickoff on the biggest kickoff of the game. You hafta work your ass off to be that bad on ST.

“Imagine being suspended for grades and school started a week ago? You lose the fucking syllabus?”

If this is the product he puts on the field for game one we are fucked. fsu sucks! They will get their doors blown off by any team worth a shit and then you might realize how awful we are.

https://twitter.com/mjecane/status/...me-lsu-oregon-nebraska-let-their-pathos-shine

VIRGINNY TECH

Bonus UNC mention
Hiring Mack back was so awesome. When he goes can we go after Bunting! Maybe Fedora again? I want to be as bad as we possibly can be so there are zero expectations every year and football will be fun again!

And it wasn’t all bad actually. Of the 664 total yards Carolina allowed, it didn’t allow three yards on two separate conversions that helped secure the game.

UNC’s defense was so poor today that scoring a touchdown to go up by eight with :28 was a bad idea.

A little late on making the thread, but here it is. @TheLoveBandit I'm sure has some things to say this season I know he already laid down some predictions and expert analysis in another thread.

With that said, here are the top 25 rankings and outlook for week 2:

College football top 25 rankings, scores, schedule: What's next for Week 2​

How every team in the top 25 college football rankings fared last weekend and what's next for the top teams in Week 2 action

25. Houston​

clayton tune houston

Rankings change: Down 1

Week 1 score: def. UTSA, 37-35 (3 OT)

Where Houston is now: A too close game for the Cougars, but a win is a win, and it's better to be 1-0 than the alternative ahead of a major non-conference tilt against a future Big 12 opponent.

What's next: at Texas Tech

24. Tennessee​

cedric tillman tennessee football

Rankings change: Was unranked

Week 1 score: def. Ball State, 59-10

Where Tennessee is now: Looking at potentially getting even better on an offense that ranked top 10 in college football a year ago, and is already firing on all cylinders with Hendon Hooker working at quarterback.

What's next: at No. 17 Pittsburgh

23. Wake Forest​

sam hartman wake forest football

Week 1 score: def. VMI, 44-10

Where Wake Forest is now: Thrilled to hear that Sam Hartman has recovered from his preseason medical issue, revealed to be a blood clot, and should be back and ready to lead this excellent offense the rest of the way.

What's next: at Vanderbilt

22. Ole Miss​

Ole Miss was aggressive in the college football transfer portal, signing former USC quarterback Jaxson Dart, among others.

Week 1 score: def. Troy, 28-10

Where Ole Miss is now: The Rebels offense mostly took care of business in the opener, but Lane Kiffin says the QB situation still isn't finalized. We should know more on if Jaxson Dart or Luke Altmyer takes the lead after this weekend.

What's next: vs. Central Arkansas

21. BYU​

byu football

Rankings change: Up 4

Week 1 score: def. USF, 50-21

Where BYU is now: The Cougars pride themselves on playing a tough schedule, and it's about to get real. Come out on the other side with a winning mark and BYU will be in serious contention.

What's next: vs. No. 9 Baylor

20. Kentucky​

Kentucky quarterback Will Levis at a college football game in the SEC.

Rankings change: None

Week 1 score: def. Miami (OH), 37-13

Where Kentucky is now: The opener looked clean enough as Will Levis went over 300 yards passing, but the absence of lead back Chris Rodriguez to a suspension could hurt this offense this week.

What's next: at No. 12 Florida

19. Wisconsin​

Wisconsin is a perennial Big Ten West contender, but is still looking for its first College Football Playoff berth.

Week 1 score: def. Illinois State, 38-0

Where Wisconsin is now: Graham Mertz looked much better than usual, finishing 14 of 16 passing, an important development for the Badgers as they look to the Big Ten West race, and already have a force in back Braelon Allen and a strong defensive unit.

What's next: vs. Washington State

18. NC State​

thayer thomas nc state

Rankings change: Down 5

Week 1 score: def. East Carolina, 21-20

Where NC State is now: Just two missed kicks on the Pirates' part kept the Wolfpack from losing this one, after two turnovers near the goal line, including one on downs and a costly fumble. Devin Leary struggled and the offense needs work in short yard plays.

What's next: vs. Charleston Southern

17. Pittsburgh​

pitt football kedon slovis

Week 1 score: def. West Virginia, 38-31

Where Pittsburgh is now: Fresh off a statement win over its arch rival, which included a clutch TD pass from Kedon Slovis and a dramatic pick-6. But the Panthers struggled on the offensive line and running the ball.

What's next: vs. No. 24 Tennessee

16. Arkansas​

arkansas football

Rankings change: Up 3

Week 1 score: def. No. 23 Cincinnati, 31-24

Where Arkansas is now: KJ Jefferson led 4 scoring drives behind a stout offensive line and playing in front of what looks to be another strong rushing attack while the Hogs' defense showed out well against the Bearcats' skill group.

What's next: vs. South Carolina

15. Miami​

tyler van dyke miami

Rankings change: Up 1

Week 1 score: def. Bethune-Cookman, 70-13

Where Miami is now: Putting up 70 points is always a good first impression, and now Mario Cristobal gets another tune-up before the Texas A&M game. The Canes powered through for 6 rushing touchdowns.

What's next: vs. Southern Miss

14. Michigan State​

payton thorne michigan state

Week 1 score: def. Western Michigan, 35-13

Where Michigan State is now: The rehearsal to replace Kenneth Walker started off well as Jalen Berger led a backfield that almost eclipsed 200 yards in the opener, an important development heading into the Big Ten schedule.

What's next: vs. Akron

13. Utah​

utah football pac-12 rankings

Rankings change: Down 6

Week 1 score: Lost at Florida, 29-26

Where Utah is now: Kicking itself after missing some crucial opportunities and throwing that pick in the end zone when the game-winner was in sight. Utah still plays a physical brand of football and has a cadre of skilled receivers that could get this team back in the College Football Playoff race.

What's next: vs. Southern Utah

12. Florida​

anthony richardson florida gators football

Rankings change: Was unranked

Week 1 score: def. No. 7 Utah, 29-26

Where Florida is now: An excellent first showing for Billy Napier, who opens his UF tenure with a win over a top 10 team, and for quarterback Anthony Richardson, who played turnover-free football and ran for three TDs.

What's next: vs. No. 20 Kentucky

11. Oklahoma State​

oklahoma state football

Week 1 score: def. Central Michigan, 58-44

Where Oklahoma State is now: Spencer Sanders looks better, surpassing 400 yards in the air with 4 TDs, but the Pokes' defense misses Jim Knowles already: the Chippewas piled up 22 4th quarter points.

What's next: vs. Arizona State

10. USC​

usc trojans college football (1)

Week 1 score: def. Rice, 66-14

Where USC is now: With all the concern around this defense, it opened up with three pick-sixes and four INTs total in its debut. That's not something you can always count on, but it's good to see the unit get aggressive. Caleb Williams and Jordan Addison connected on 2 TDs in a preview of coming attractions there.

What's next: at Stanford

9. Baylor​

baylor football big 12 rankings

Week 1 score: def. Albany, 69-10

Where Baylor is now: Thrashing an FCS team is what you expect of the great teams and nothing less was expected of the defending Big 12 champions. Now comes the hard part.

What's next: at No. 21 BYU

8. Notre Dame​

Michael Mayer, one of the best tight ends in college football, powers the Notre Dame offense.

Rankings change: Down 3

Week 1 score: Lost at No. 2 Ohio State, 21-10

Where Notre Dame is now: Considerably better off than where most analysts thought, most of whom predicted an Irish beatdown in Columbus. That didn't happen, but a scoreless second half on offense and a 14-0 scoring surge by the Buckeyes didn't look great.

What's next: vs. Marshall

7. Oklahoma​

oklahoma football gavin freeman

Rankings change: Up 2

Week 1 score: def. UTEP, 45-13

Where Oklahoma is now: Two easy ones to ease the Brent Venables era into gear, but watch how OU plays in the two after that, on the road to Nebraska and at home against Kansas State that will tell us if this team belongs in the College Football Playoff chase.

What's next: vs. Kent State

6. Texas A&M​

Texas A&M comes into the 2022 college football season looking to make waves in the SEC and playoff race.

Week 1 score: def. Sam Houston, 31-0

Where Texas A&M is now: Haynes King connected on two long TD passes, but the offensive line and run game didn't come together quite as planned. It'll have to as A&M welcomes an opponent fresh off scoring 61 points in its opener (and that allowed 63).

What's next: vs. Appalachian State

5. Clemson​

clemson football will shipley

Week 1 score: def. Georgia Tech, 41-10

Where Clemson is now: Relying on a shorter passing game to compensate for its receivers not getting a lot of room to work deep in the opener. That might be a good way to start off, but Clemson will need to open things up to really get back in good graces with the College Football Playoff.

What's next: vs. Furman

4. Michigan​

Michigan wide receiver Andrel Anthony looks to help get the Wolverines back to the College Football Playoff.

Week 1 score: def. Colorado State, 51-7

Where Michigan is now: Still figuring out its QB situation after Cade McNamara's sluggish opener. J.J. McCarthy gets the start this week, and he could take the job, as the more mobile and dynamic option of the two.

What's next: vs. Hawaii

3. Ohio State​

cj stroud ohio state

Week 1 score: def. No. 5 Notre Dame, 21-10

Where Ohio State is now: Hoping it can rely on its other blue-chip receivers to hold things down while Jaxon Smith-Njigba nurses a hamstring injury. Those 2 late scoring drives in the opener were a good sign that OSU can control and win a game the old fashioned way.

What's next: vs. Arkansas State

2. Georgia​

Week 1 score: def. No. 11 Oregon, 49-3

Where Georgia is now: It's hard to take anything negative away from the Bulldogs' opener, but Kirby Smart will find something, and he'll probably point to the fact that his team didn't sack Bo Nix. The credit for that goes to Oregon's excellent O-line, just about the only thing that went right for the Ducks as Georgia's skill players decimated every other position on the field.

What's next: vs. Samford

1. Alabama​

Week 1 score: def. Utah State, 55-10

Where Alabama is now: Just about where it's always been in the Nick Saban era, destroying non-conference opponents but still not making its coach very happy. "Not consistent enough" was his complaint after this one, and he might have a point watching the Tide run the ball in scoring position.

What's next: at Texas

I'm not very hopeful against Florida without Rodriguez ... but crazier things have happened.

What a bullshit no call on that defensive PI. Refs cost Texas 4 points on their first trip .