• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What do you think about drug addicts in general?

I'd written out a really, really long answer but I just decided to sum it up more quickly:
You're a piece of shit and you're clearly very misinformed about who's the 'inferior' type of human being here.

Last edited:
I don't think one can generalise, given that 'drug addicts' includes everyone from tobacco-fiends to crackheads and 'script SSRI or anti-psychotic addicts. Stigmatising 'drug addicts' in the conventional sense is a weak-minded tacit acceptance of government propaganda: 'addict' brings to mind the cliched image of a junkie, when in fact any number of drugs, recreational and otherwise, can be habituating.

In general, I think generalising on such a broad range of substances and individuals makes no sense at all, and inevitably targets the 'weak' (oh, grow up) H and stim addicts, while functional alcoholics, benzo/'script painkiller addicts etc are somehow 'better'.

As with mental illness, the language is totalising and derogatory: people don't suffer from schizophrenia, they ARE schizophrenic. I AM ADDICTED to benzos and nicotine, have been to opiates and booze and amphetamines in the past, but I am not and never was 'a drug addict', but a person addicted to drugs. Difference being, the drugs,even when I was blitzed 24/7, were never all of me: I was a son, a brother, a professional (of sorts), a Jew, an American, and many other things. I think this is a semantic issue of immense political significance: those afflicted by our 'culture' with the identity of addict, schizophrenic, or sex worker are dismissed as being that and nothing else.

So, no offense, OP, but in general, generalising about millions of people and substances under the heading 'drug addict' is an implicit acceptance of a lot of covert ideology, which serves the interests of state power-grabs and social control. Marginalising these defined & demonised 'addicts' and other groups serves a great many vested interests and hidden agendas, from trashing the US constitution to legalising theft by cops from alleged sex workers in the UK and giving the righteous masses groups to look down on and despise. As a Jew who has 2 major addictions, I know that 'drug addict' is often used to dehumanise, in exactly the same way anti-semites demonise my kind. No-one should be viewed one-dimensionally, which is where SOME 12-step groups and doctrine can fall down...but then, of course, the substance recovery industry is another guilty party, that needs the ideal 'body of the addict' trope kept intact to justify its existence. The concept's overly simplistic, and thatsimplification lands a lot of people in jail or worse.

Last edited:
I think addicts are just like any other person. Some are good, some are bad, most are somewhere in between. Not every addict robs and steals.

My feelings range from "Fuck yeah! Right on! Keep doing your thing," for funner, more functional addicts to one of piety for those who's addiction has destroyed them.

I really feel bad for addicts like I would for anyone else who's ill. Some have mental illnesses they're trying to mask with drugs and alcohol, some have a hard life they want to escape from, some just want something to make this pointless existence more bearable, and some were just trying to have a good time and got caught up in it all. It's not about willpower. It happens to the best of us. Might only be like 10-20% of users are addicts, but the 10-20%ers are not weak willed. It's just like how the West Nile Virus only makes like 10% of infected people sick.

OP, I truly hope you never have a child who becomes an addict. Your opinion might change in that case.

I feel bad for them, plain and simple. Me included. Being addicted to most things isn't good, and being addicted to drugs sucks.

I feel that my understanding of addiction was very limited when I was younger. When I was growing up the internet wasn't such an integral and widely used forum for information. Everyone knew that coke, crack and heroin were very dangerous and potentially addicting. Especially heroin and CRACK(our DARE officer was very emphatic about this last one after all it was the 80's). I knew about LSD because of the 60's and the Beatles and what not but not that many people really knew what ecstasy was except that it had a very enticing name.

So I tried all the drugs except for the crack and heroin. I controlled my usage...... I didn't fiend for any of the drugs and I was always able to control my usage. I was always very proud and haughty because I could start or stop any drug when I wanted. Then along came pharmaceuticals. I honestly didn't even know what an opiate was except for opium, morphine or heroin(at this point and time nobody really talked that much about the medicines in the cabinet) and I certainly didn't understand what physical addiction was because all drugs were addictive and made you into a slave or so the DARE officer says.

When I tried these Oxycontin things that some people were doing I liked the warm relaxed feeling that it gave me but I never once thought that the feeling was so spectacular that I wouldn't be able to stop using it whenever I wanted. I never really gave it much thought because I had used all these dangerous illegal drugs that we were all warned about and this actually felt mild in comparison. So I started using it almost everyday because after all it isn't that great and I would never choose this feeling over living a full and productive life. I could stop whenever I wanted. Then after taking Extremely large doses for about a year my best friend who was my main source went out of town and I couldn't get them for a few days. I was suddenly turned onto a whole world of hell that I never knew was possible. When my friend got back a had a pill and the symptoms immediately went away. What the hell I thought. Did not having these pills make me feel that horrible? I actually felt like I was dying from malaria, mono or some strange disease. At this time I was taking around 300-500mg a day because nobody knew what they were and they were dirt cheap.

I was completely shocked when I started to find out the truth of what I had done. I tried so much to quit but I couldn't function without them. I would fail university lose my scholarship and have to return back home to the little ghetto I grew up in. This thought was worse than death so I just decided to tolerate the habit until the end of school. I didn't know that my brain was so neurologically altered that life as I knew it was never going to be the same. Well anyone who has spent anytime on bluelight knows how this story turns out. Over 15 years later and I am now a heroin addict. I had already switched over to heroin around 2000ish because by then the prices had already gone up enough that I could no longer afford my astronomical habit. I didn't have the slightest idea of what addiction really was nor did I ever believe that this simple medication was basically heroin in a pill. I just thought addiction was that you loved the feeling so much that you would lie or steal because you couldn't dream of living without it.

Early on in my heroin addiction I did some terrible things so I wouldn't have to be sick. My <3girlfriend<3 and one of my first true loves had just died:( next to me in bed and I couldn't let myself fail out of school or return to the ghetto because the ones who had to stay never made it out. I self medicated for years. I am now older, stronger and wiser and though I am still struggling with my addiction I haven't resorted to stealing or conning people for over 10yrs. I was never the kind of person who could ever have imagined myself stealing or hurting anyone for a drug in the first place but alas I am afraid I did and I will always have to live with the things I have done.

I in no way excuse any of my addict behavior I just wish that I had been better informed about the nature of addiction and drugs in general.

I believe that there is no excuse for lying, stealing or hurting others especially for decade after decade of your life. Even if one finds themselves blind sided by addiction I believe that after a certain period of time one should be able to pull it together enough to at least live by the basic principles of human morality but despite my beliefs or convictions I still have a deep sense of compassion for most addicts. I just never thought I would be one.

It's wierd because I had already tried heroin about 20 or so times when coming down from MDMA but I didn't know it was heroin because it was called Tek by all the club kids. No one knew it was heroin until it was explained to us that tek was short for monteca or the Puerto Rican slang for dope. I stopped immediately and moved on and I never once even associated the warm feeling that oxys gave me with being the same as the tek. I guess my memory was hazy from the other drugs I was using at the time and possibly because I mostly only used it for the MDMA comedown. It's funny too because being half Puerto Rican and having cousins in the dope game I probably should have known.

Last edited:
Holy shite at the judgemental OP. Drug addicition is an illness and should be treated as such.

that was quite a story somnilicious...

'drug addicts in general' is such a generalization too. around here they range from crackheads to benzo addicts and tbh i try not to judge anyone.

that was quite a story somnilicious...

'drug addicts in general' is such a generalization too. around here they range from crackheads to benzo addicts and tbh i try not to judge anyone.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story Neuro. I just hope that by writing it I could help dispel some of the myths associated with addiction and show how easy it easy to fall into the trap. That's why this site is so great. It is a wealth of information about drugs and addiction. I honestly didn't know the difference between psychological cravings and physical addiction. The physical addiction seems a million times stronger than any of my survival needs. My mind and body demand it more than food.

It high lights some of the failures of early drug education and I hope that many young people who are thinking of giving opiates a try reconsider because the feeling isn't really that all encompassing euphoria that many think they are but they are very sneaky and seductive. They will find a way to slowly creep into and take over your life and once you are truly addicted to the point of physical withdrawal it is very difficult to get out. Your priorities will become opiates before anything even the people you love. I never believed I would ever be an addict but then again I didn't realize the ways that the drugs slowly change your neural pathways over time and a physical addiction is a whole different ball game than just mental cravings or wanting that one last hit on a stim comedown. A physical addiction is a way of life. Your brain will demand it before food, sex, possessions, relationships, love, shelter and all normal safety measures.

I have seen the strongest willed individuals give themselves over completely to their addictions and even after the initial withdrawals are over you still suffer from residual withdrawal symptoms and cravings for months. Most feel they will never be same or be able to enjoy life again. This is not true and there is always hope and a way out but it is a long road that will leave even those with mental resolve forged from steel questioning their own sanity at times. It is a cliche but addiction does not discriminate and I hope that my short story helps people better understand addicts and addiction in general. God Bless the internet and Bluelight for helping disseminate accurate and in depth harm reduction information about drugs and addiction.

I hope to one day take the time to write the whole story of my journey through addiction in the addiction stories section.

Last edited:
There are no "drug addicts" as a whole. It's the person, their lifestyle, and how they take care of themselves. I don't label people as a whole, they are individuals. To label "drug addicts" is fucking stupid and ignorant. I hate those who judge.

OP is kind of a douchebag but i used to think just like him. my older brother is a meth tweeker and has caused all kinds of hurt to our family and i almost hated him and was completely disgusted. but now i am a benzo addict. i didnt plan on it, i have horrible anxiety problems and doctors just started giving me pills and saying "take these three times a day" without telling me a fucking think about them. i did my own research when it was obvious that i am very addicted even though i only took them as prescribed and never abused them and found out that they are more addictive than heroin and that benzos and alcohol are the only drugs whos withdrawal could kill you and now im just fucked. i plan on checking myself into rehab or some shit soon but i am not sure if im ready yet. but my point being is that not everyone who is an addict are to blame, doctors hand out very addictive, horrible drugs like they are fucking candy without even warning the patients about what they are taking because most of them are just fucking drug dealers. dont be so quick to judge all addicts

We should not judge anyone for what they do........how do we know why or what has gotten them in their situation to become an alcoholic/drug addict. Many of us do drugs just for fun while others need then to deal with pain or problems in their lives so unless we want to be judged for doing things that are out of the supposed ordinary, let's treat everyone with dignity & compassion when it comes to drug use.

I'm not saying give someone that murders people for their drug habit a pass by no means.......I'm saying just think before labeling because everyone's situation isn't the same.

they are NOT really your friend, they'll use you, they probably commit property crimes, always asking for a favor (can i have a dollar/cigarette/sleep on your floor) and you can't trust them. just being honest here.

note this "in general" not "all"