• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bioavailability/Half-life MEGA Thread

There isn't a typical half life for alcohol. Alcohol is not eliminated the same way as other drugs. Most of it is either metabolized or pissed out, while a small amount is actually removed through your breath. The amount of alcohol removed from an individual depends on their personal physiology. The average elimination rate is, if I remember correctly, 15 grams per hour, but usually that number increases depending on how experienced/tolerant the drinker is. Someone who drinks regularly can eliminate 30 grams or more per hour.

Also, that number stays regular. With normal half life elimination, imagine that you take 30 grams of something with a 4 hour half life. In 4 hours, there will be 15 grams left. In another 4, there will be 7.5. Every 4 hours, half of what is left is eliminated.

With alcohol, if you drink say 100 grams and eliminate 20 grams an hour, at the end of the first hour you'll have 80. At the end of the second you'll have 60. At the end of the third, 40. And so on and so on. That is how alcohol differs from other drugs when it comes to half life and elimination times.

This number varies from person to person which is why you had trouble finding a solid number like you would with other drugs.

EDIT - I just found this article on Wikipedia that explains this in more detail than I did. Also, I guess the average amount of alcohol processed per hour is 10 grams, so I was close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Last edited:
^ Does it matter what nasal is? Its certainly not above 96%. Why do you want it up your nose so much? Its just going to be a waste.
If you're that into the concept, swallow the temazepam then snort a line of sugar or some BS and try to convince yourself that you snorted the pill. :|

seriously? why do you care if someone wants a pill up their nose. it's that persons problem. NOT YOURS. sheesh. I don't get why people have to be so anal and dick-headed about that stuff.

seriously? why do you care if someone wants a pill up their nose. it's that persons problem. NOT YOURS. sheesh. I don't get why people have to be so anal and dick-headed about that stuff.

People seem to get stuck in "their way" of doing things. I say, why not listen to the advice of people who have done the research..there are some super-smart people frequenting these forums. Then, build upon that advice with your experience, and do what works for you, and let others do what works for them. "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"-Sir Isaac Newton. No offense to some of the more experienced here, but when half of the replies to a thread asking about a drug are "It's a waste if you do anything but IV it", it gets old. We don't all enjoy collapsing our veins, chancing cotton fever or a bad shoot. The site is about harm reduction, and assisting your life-enhancing peers. Not bullying people into doing things your way.

Sorry for the rant! I also wanted to thank the guys that have put in work on this thread, I know they're not all still around, but this info is awesome to have compiled in one place. I know I could've used it in the past haha.

There isn't a typical half life for alcohol. Alcohol is not eliminated the same way as other drugs. Most of it is either metabolized or pissed out, while a small amount is actually removed through your breath. The amount of alcohol removed from an individual depends on their personal physiology. The average elimination rate is, if I remember correctly, 15 grams per hour, but usually that number increases depending on how experienced/tolerant the drinker is. Someone who drinks regularly can eliminate 30 grams or more per hour.

Also, that number stays regular. With normal half life elimination, imagine that you take 30 grams of something with a 4 hour half life. In 4 hours, there will be 15 grams left. In another 4, there will be 7.5. Every 4 hours, half of what is left is eliminated.

With alcohol, if you drink say 100 grams and eliminate 20 grams an hour, at the end of the first hour you'll have 80. At the end of the second you'll have 60. At the end of the third, 40. And so on and so on. That is how alcohol differs from other drugs when it comes to half life and elimination times.

This number varies from person to person which is why you had trouble finding a solid number like you would with other drugs.

EDIT - I just found this article on Wikipedia that explains this in more detail than I did. Also, I guess the average amount of alcohol processed per hour is 10 grams, so I was close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

6/7 you are right, it is called "zero gradient metabolization" or something like that; ethanol is metabolized with a different gradient than regular drugs are, and THANKS for pointing that out.

One of the little tidbits of info I forgot from my pharmacology class.

I can try to look through my notes for more info based on this, but that is why you won't find a half life for ethanol. It's a "steady decrease" instead of a "curve" if you look on a X/Y chart of "time/dose". Your body can only eliminate but so much ethanol at once, whereas with most other drugs, your body can eliminate half of it within a given time.

I forget why this is, but 6/7 is spot on in explaining the mechanics of it.

does ROA affect half life?

Nope, ROA effects duration, not half life.

How long a drug effects you for, and how long it takes to be eliminated from your system, are two different things (typically). I guess it "could" be the same duration for some drugs but it doesn't have to be for most of them.

Phrozen already answered your question but I thought I would elaborate a bit.

People seem to get stuck in "their way" of doing things. I say, why not listen to the advice of people who have done the research..there are some super-smart people frequenting these forums. Then, build upon that advice with your experience, and do what works for you, and let others do what works for them. "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"-Sir Isaac Newton. No offense to some of the more experienced here, but when half of the replies to a thread asking about a drug are "It's a waste if you do anything but IV it", it gets old. We don't all enjoy collapsing our veins, chancing cotton fever or a bad shoot. The site is about harm reduction, and assisting your life-enhancing peers. Not bullying people into doing things your way.

Sorry for the rant! I also wanted to thank the guys that have put in work on this thread, I know they're not all still around, but this info is awesome to have compiled in one place. I know I could've used it in the past haha.

I agree DTF.

The reason why you don't want to snort, specifically temazepam, is because of the exceedingly high oral BA.

If you had a benzo like triazolam, you would gain something out of snorting it. I personally would prefer the sublingual ROA for triazolam, I have only used it once and that was the ROA I chose. However, snorting triazolam is common due to its low oral BA.

If you have most other benzos, the oral BA is pretty high as is, and snorting it would just be wasting your precious septum on smashed pill inactive ingredients. Save your septum for good drugs. :)

unless of course you have clonazepam and like having that cool icey feeling traveling through your nasal cavities.. i know i do. and i know they still work snorted also, i just dont have a BA % or best way someone said is to eat 2/3 your clonaz dose and snort 1/3 of it, so you get a nice little buzz before the pills kick in* just read that in another thread.

Last edited:
the whole definition of smoking encompasses the fact that a certain percentage of the product is lost during the process of smoking the drug ,so a BA of90-100 percent is just Impossibe Imho

if no product is lost or a bioavailibility of 100 % similar to the one of injecting a drug would apply it would be to what we refer to as vaporizing a drrug

Come on man, at least crush it up, filter through at LEAST cotton (vs. micron spin wheels) in water solution and evaporate. Snort that shit. :)

I might be wrong. But I think they were referring to the BA of the IM injection

I might be wrong. But I think they were referring to the BA of the IM injection

yea, I read it and they definitely did not make it very clear. It is possible though that IV was 66.1%....

...BUT, none of that matters anyway because those tests were done on NEONATAL FOALS(newborn horse/pony)......not humans. It says nothing about how this information applies to humans. It could be the same BA for humans but they do not say that anywhere if it is, just like they dont even make it clear which ROA is which BA.

Has anyone ever seen literature for MDA's oral/nasal BA? Ebola? offered that it was likely 70%ish oral BA, but I would still like a source nonetheless. :)

yea, I read it and they definitely did not make it very clear. It is possible though that IV was 66.1%....

...BUT, none of that matters anyway because those tests were done on NEONATAL FOALS(newborn horse/pony)......not humans. It says nothing about how this information applies to humans. It could be the same BA for humans but they do not say that anywhere if it is, just like they dont even make it clear which ROA is which BA.

IV ANYTHING is alway 100%

does ROA affect half life?

yes ofcourse it does

Last edited by a moderator: