• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why pick opiates over alcohol?

I know I know. I don't understand how some people can consider alcohol not a drug, when it's JUST as addictive as any opiate or even nicotine.

And I agree with you on how opiates are just plain and simple peaceful drugs. I know for damn sure that my temper doesn't explode when I'm nodding out, and that I couldn't be happier than when I taste that drip going down my throat (as opposed to that burning feeling that alcohol does to your stomach :p )

Opiates tend to fill me with irritability and rage. And yet, I still feel compelled to take more and more. They're also obscenely expensive to buy off the street.

Alcohol's better as far as cost goes, and I have an easier time controlling my intake of it. But I'll take a benzo, any benzo, over either, any day.

opiates have no downside until you get addicted, alcohol makes you feel like shit a few hours after drinking unless you do drugs or more alcohol.

i've been addicted to both alcohol and opiates and the alcohol withdrawal is worse. i've been addicted to alcohol more than opiates though because it's a lot easier to hustle up money for an alcohol habit than a dope habit. i used to be down to do shit that i could earn a few hundred a day doing but i got tired of being locked up. although an alcohol habit requires other drugs along with it to be enjoyable for me.

also, opiates are euphoric in and of themselves, as in you can sit on the couch on opiates and enjoy yourself whereas on alcohol i need some type of stimulation which can end up with me being in the drunk tank or with a stupid charge.

I'm about to leave on a trip, but personally I can't stand alcohol, and I think that people that choose opiates, like myself, prefer them because they like the feeling of the opiate high more than being drunk...I can stand drunk people or even being around liquor...and even if I did drink I would find the high from opiates and the euphoria far more superior than any drink some master blender could mix up.

for me:

1. I can function in normal society, including work, on opiates.
2. No smell on breath
3. You don't act retarded (Good when you're single)
4. You kill pain rather than create it. (alky makes me have a headache)
5. Opiates give me motivation to do things
6. HEALTH! I used to drink heavily, and it was really wrecking my body. I'm not addicted to opiates, so I can use them occasionally to much success without becoming sickly, WDing, or anything like that.

I really just don't like how alcohol makes me sloppy. I prefer to be sharp in the mind.

Definitely all of this minus -6. I really don't give a shit about my health. Then again what heroin addict does?

Opiate without a doubt. I piss 10000000 times a day as it is. When I drink, I piss ten times more than that. I should probably see a doctor about that, but that's not the point here. I don't like having to drink for half an hour to get drunk. I want my high and I want it now.

I also have back pain that drives me nuts and really prevents me from focusing on a particular goal, so being productive is difficult. Heroin solves that and lets me function much better throughout the day.

for me:

1. I can function in normal society, including work, on opiates.
2. No smell on breath
3. You don't act retarded (Good when you're single)
4. You kill pain rather than create it. (alky makes me have a headache)
5. Opiates give me motivation to do things
6. HEALTH! I used to drink heavily, and it was really wrecking my body. I'm not addicted to opiates, so I can use them occasionally to much success without becoming sickly, WDing, or anything like that.

I really just don't like how alcohol makes me sloppy. I prefer to be sharp in the mind.

I used to be a big drinker, (in truth, an alcoholic), but that changed when I discovered opiates. For a long time, I switched back & forth between the two, & I remember asking myself, "If I had to choose to use only ONE of these for the rest of my life, which would it be?", and at the time, I decided, probably alcohol. That is almost unbelieveable to me to think of now. For the reasons mentioned in the above quote, & so many others, opiates turned out to be that *thing* I'd been missing all my life.

I can function at full capacity on opiates; I can use without anyone knowing I am high on anything; I get boundless energy from them, whereas, drinking causes me to want to sit in one spot, listen to sad music, and just...contemplate stuff. Opiates are far less damaging to body & brain, (in their pure form, of course; the acetominophen in the hydro I took is a liver-killer.) And, the only "hangover" I ever got from opiates was easily remedied by taking more the next morning. (I consider withdrawals to be totally different from hangovers.)

All of this is moot, as I am no longer a regular opiate user, and I am sad to say, my drinking pace picked up considerably once I quit. (Not even in the same ballpark as what it used to be, but I very seldom drank when I was using. I think I actually went close to a year without even a beer at one point.)

Opiates FTW, in this particular comparison.

Last edited:
No. But most CNS depressant drugs used for recreation have a lot of similar effects, and there are a lot of similar reasons that people take these drugs. It's not like I'm saying that alcohol and opiates work on any sort of similar mechanism. The end results, simplified, are pretty similar though(relaxation, anxiety relief, euphoria, drowsiness, inhibition).

This question is more like "Would you rather take the train or drive to get somewhere 500 miles away" than anything else. They're both completely different experiences, with different features, that get you to the same place. Some people would rather drive for eight hours and sleep or play video games or do whatever they want. Some people would rather drive in a car and have control over their stops and be able to sidetrack, but sacrifice other benefits.

This isn't really a question of why these drugs are similar at all, it's just which one do you enjoy more. Which way would you rather get fucked up? Why would you pick opiates when alcohol has a much more intense body buzz with no itching?

I really.....really...do not understand how anybody here can't see ANY similarities in the effects at all...I really don't. Maybe it's because whenever I do either of these drugs, I do them for the sole purpose of anxiety relief. And they both give me that. So to me, I think of them as "which drug would I rather use to lower my anxiety?" Maybe I should have made that a thread instead. I don't know.

Or maybe I thought they were comparable because you're not supposed to mix the two. And you could between which one you'd rather do if you were trying to be safe and only pick one.

Or maybe, I also thought they were comparable because I just like to get fucked up and feel peaceful at the end of the day. And both of these drugs offer that.

But apparently, I am wrong, and it is totally, completely impossible to compare these drugs at all. And opiates are always 100% of the time better. I'm sorry for wrongly thinking there was some magical way to compare these two drugs.

Sorry for sounding like a dick. I'm just getting frustrated. Every other post seems to imply that I'm an idiot. It's like...why does it even matter if they compare? I don't know anybody else that prefers alcohol over opiates and I wanted to see if anybody here did. I don't get why it's such a big deal if they both work on the same mechanisms and offer the same high.

No, it's more like asking what you'd prefer more: driving to the supermarket or catching a train across the country. Two different modes of transport, two two different places.

Alcohol is nothing like opiates. I prefer opiates simply because even without a hangover I feel like shit the next day after anything more than a couple of drinks. I hate the dizzy feeling alcohol gives you. Alchohol makes me more nauseous than opiates do.

Alcohol is the only drug I stil partake in.. Because it sucks too much to get addicted to (for me at least). That's one of the reasons I'd take opiates over alcohol..

Also, I'm not familiar with the h-scene at all, but I was under the impression that most h-junkies also have a drinking problem.

Last edited:
Also, I'm not familiar with the h-scene at all, but I was under the impression that most h-junkies also have a drinking problem.
IME, most opiate addicts won't touch alcohol...

I certainly won't.%) I gave it a try again when I turned 21 since it's cheap/legal, but it just feels so toxic. :| There's nothing I like about alcohol - tastes gross, no euphoria, dirty "high," terrible hangover, and makes most everyone act retarded. Also, something about being drunk kinda reminds me of opiate withdrawal, if that makes sense.

I could write an ode to opiates, but I'm craving enough as it is.:\ But basically, the only thing I don't love about opiates is the price and the withdrawal.

Yeah, that's weird, I have never met an opiate addict who drank heavily as well. In fact, opiates are the reason I stopped drinking. I never drank much to begin with, but now I don't drink at all. If I want to wind down for the day, it's with a couple of pain killers or something, not with a drink.

How telling that so many people on this thread--including me--are reporting that they pretty much stopped drinking once they discovered opiates. I agree with the above posters who say they feel like alcohol is a "dirty" high, and that the hangovers suck donkey dick.

Throughout my addict days, I would sometimes resort to alcohol when I was out of opiates, but it was usually a matter of *forcing* myself to try & drink it. Especially that first beer, which would sometimes make me shudder, physically, with the sheer awfulness of it all. But, if I was able to get it down, it did help, after a fashion, with the dopesickness. And, it would knock me out so I could fall asleep, although I would usually wake up in only a few hours, feeling like death on a stick. Ever been hungover on top of being dopesick? Yeah, good times...

If opiates were legal & inexpensive, as is the case with alcohol, I would probably never have quit.

err... alcohol makes me stupid and tired. strong opiates allow me to retain my intellect while adding confidence and energy.

^This pretty much sums up my experiences as well. The positive, euphoric effects of alcohol are really brief and quickly shift to tiredness and a comedown.

Opioids have me buzzing all night! :D

alcohol can have me howling at the moon.
opiates can have me simply admire it.

they are both depressants, but 'why chose alcohol over benzos and cocaine' seems more comparable in their effect and user mind-state.

when id have 12, 20, 30 beers it was obvious.
40, 60, 80mg oxy? not so obvious.
i sure have my reservations with oxy, its design is more twisted then alcohol; make medicine for people who need it, need it more!

but alcohol in the wrong hands is far more destructive, in every sense.
i could not of been posting this on my phone drinking, no way.

SWYPING would be chaos!
.heh.

a big reason regular opiate users dont drink
is because they've seen a lot of people die that way.
Janis Joplin is said to of died from heroin,
her toxicology shows a mediocre medicinal amount,,, like $10 worth, but lots of Southern Comfort...

Last edited:
Indeed why pick? Wine + Heroin for the win... xanax and kpins too if your feeling crazy..

jesus man
fail fail and die
!
lol

*rolls eyes
well i waaas just staring to get into Malbecs, Piedmont, and Dr Loosen before the bottle dropped on my head, with the rapid tolerance aid of klonopin...
i can still sell, heh, and go on about wine.
charming at it really...

morphine helped sometimes too...
after that got out of my life, and the drink finally soon after. i discover my bones ache, hah, not because im tall! but i have as many chronic pain conditions as my white blood cells think i can have,,, and there are 10's of 1000's.
... they only helped harbor this being abused for "recreation"...

opioids are to be treated like a gun.
a powerful means of self-defense-
but a deadly toy.
another show of natures gentle precious powerful rath, an old story, repeated in so many forms.

Indeed why pick? Wine + Heroin for the win... xanax and kpins too if your feeling crazy..

Opioids and ethano = a terrible combination where one drug's blissful effects are affected with another drug's dirty feeling.

Alcohol gives f*cked up quasi-euphoria for an hour and then it's a dirty experience, it causes headaches and irritated stomach, nausea, and vomiting is much more often than with opioids. I don't know how intensity of alcohol and opioids can be compared. You nod out on opioids and you're alright, when you close your eyes for good after alcohol, you've either blacked out or you've fallen asleep.

When the drug is metabolized/cleaned out of the body enough to feel that the effects are decreasing, you smell like shit after alcohol and it goes out of your body every possible way, you feel it breathing and you can't do anything to do with it. Then you're hung over because of toxic metabolites: acetic acid and acetaldehyde (not to mention ethyl alcohol is toxic itself). Opioids OP mentions have no toxic metabolites. Considerable majority of opioids have no toxic metabolites.

Alcohol withdrawal makes you paranoid, you get convulsions, strong addiction may easily produce deadly withdrawal. Opioid withdrawal is rarely fatal no matter how strong it is.

Damn, what kind of question is that? Pick a dirty pain-reliever-to-be or a true blissful wrapping you around in cotton goddess? Rhetorical question.

Some people don't want more "intense" or more "fucked up." Some people just want to feel ok for a while, whatever the cost (referring to the financial differences between the two.)