• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Which antihistamines best for OPIATES?

this post looks like - hey, what needle gauge are you like more?
Actually the first generation histamines are preferred by opiate users.
Here in Russia, homebake heroin(acetylated pods extract) was all the time with benadryl in the 80s-90s, then after it gone and heroin became prevalent users kept using benadryl. In the 00's promethazine ampules became popular in mix with burofanol. Promethazine is VERY sedating and very potent.

Loratadine and the other second generation antihistamines work well enough for knocking down the itch.

BUT, I would have to disagree with your statement about just using antihistamines to combat itching, I use diphenhydramine/benadryl nearly every time I take opiates, and hydroxyzine/atarax when I can get my hands on it.

Hydroxyzine is probably the best antihistamines to combine with most opiates, however, its really a personal choice. Doxylamine (think NyQuil) also works quite well, and there is a reason they put promethazine in the codeine cough syrups :)

I always use hydroxyzine with my methadone and it gets me very high.

^^ Exactly, same with me and morphine/hydromorphone....another added bonus is hydroxyzine has marked anti-anxiety properties, which makes the opiate euphoria that much more powerful...without the risk of killing yourself with the benzo+opiate combo...

And OP, to answer your question, the best time to take an antihistamine is 45 minutes to an hour before you plan to take your opiate, I've had best results doing it this way, however, taking it at the same time produces nearly the same results.

Your mileage may vary.

opiate potentiation is facilitated by cyp2d6 competitive inhibition, not by additive cns depression

i think

I agree with your friend. Try taking your opiates with coffee. I do it anytime I take my methadone in the morning. But even when i was on lortab or any opiate pain med for that matter. Coffee just seemed to intesify for me.
I've never had any luck with the antihistamines personally. Try coffee

No, that's not true. It's anticholinergic action in CNS that is required in most 1st generation antihistamines that really give a boost to opioid action. That's probably why hydroxyzine feels so weird and its sedating effects at e.g. 100mg kill the opioid euphoria for me.

Morphine for example has nothing to do with CYP2D6, Methadone is metabolized by CYP2D6 much less than other subtypes of cytochrome P450. Exactly what is required here is CNS depressant action. Antihistamines like loratadine or cetirizine may only attenuate itching and that's all because they can't cross blood-brain barrier. The other thing may be lengthening time of clearance.

opiate potentiation is facilitated by cyp2d6 competitive inhibition, not by additive cns depression

i think

definitely not. one only has to look at the wide range of opiates they're effective with (all of them) to realize that line of reasoning is inherently flawed.

I would like to know how come I have urticaria bouts with any (I think, I didn't have morphine often in my life, but i think synthetics do it the most) opiates. I mean it really is a pain in the ass that I am forced to buy diphen for whenever I get prescribed opiates.

For a long time I was on 50mg hydroxyzine X3 everyday due to my allergies to most kind of woods and never noticed this, as I had never really needed opiates before that, I think I had a prescription of Tylenol 3's once....

So yeah, lately I'm oxycontin 20mg X2 a day and I wake up in the night with extreme bouts of urticaria, elevated pulse and anxiety. I called the 811 service we have in canaduh about it and she told me to take a sodium bicarbonate bath. It helped. But i'm not really keen about spending so much money on diphenhydramine that much (it might seem like it's not such a big deal but generic diph is still 6.40 for 18 tablets for me) and I take about 4-5 tablets a day to overcome the pruritus.

Wow, tl;dr : I cannot have opiates without getting extreme itching that wakes me up at night coupled with anxiety and low range tachycardia. Any advice ?

No, that's not true. It's anticholinergic action in CNS that is required in most 1st generation antihistamines that really give a boost to opioid action.

Do you mean it boosts the actual activity or the subjective euphoria? I know that there are/were problems with people mixing cyclizine with methadone for injection. Apparently they were attempting to replicate the rush of Diconal. I have never understood why it altered the rush...

I'd always found that promethazine works the best. If I were to take 1000mg's of codeine, and then maybe 125mg of promethazine about 45-60mins after codeine effects are apparent (and often starting to fade) the entire experience becomes a whol heap more noddy. I've not experienced the same with dipenhydramine or doxylamine.

That said, promethazine often induces a kind of transient tardive dsykenesia in me, namely twitches around my mouth and spasming hands. That only occurrs with high doses of 100-250mg's promethazine.

Do you mean it boosts the actual activity or the subjective euphoria? I know that there are/were problems with people mixing cyclizine with methadone for injection. Apparently they were attempting to replicate the rush of Diconal. I have never understood why it altered the rush...

Well, I guess IV'ing diphenhydramine produces an enjoyable rush by itself. Monkeys will self administer it when given through this route.

Guessing this effect is purely additive.

Well, I guess IV'ing diphenhydramine produces an enjoyable rush by itself. Monkeys will self administer it when given through this route.

Guessing this effect is purely additive.

I've never understood that. Injecting antihistamines has a long history but I've never actually read the actual reason why it's euphoric. Anyone?

I guess the rush is enjoyable. Many antihistamines have appreciable DAT affinity, which might possibly explain it, but a lot of things given by IV will be self administered which would otherwise not be.