• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Which antihistamines best for OPIATES?

What about mirtazapine? VERY potent H1 antagonist (inverse agonist really) and not an anticholinergic. Especially when not tolerant to it's effects it is very sedating. Full antagonistic effects on H1 can apparently be reached by taking only 5-10 mg's, which is half of the smallest dose marketed for it's antidepressant effects.

I think it's Doxylamine succinate,low dose, it works synergistically with opiates.

Here, Mersyndol, contains Paracetamol 450mg+codeine phosphate10mg+doxylamine succinate 5mg.

Larger dose of doxylamine,to me,diminishes the effect of opiates.

As a sleep aid, doxylamine is 25mg.

But, as a calmative in combo with opiates, it's 5mg.
It works for me.

Do you mean it boosts the actual activity or the subjective euphoria? I know that there are/were problems with people mixing cyclizine with methadone for injection. Apparently they were attempting to replicate the rush of Diconal. I have never understood why it altered the rush...

I don't know why people mix(ed) methadone with cyclizine or pentazocine with tripelennamine. I highly doubt that these combinations bring anything close to heroin or morphine. It's definitely a more pleasurable experience but I don't think any antihistamine can transform a sedative opioid or a dysphoric and kind of "not there" one into an euphoric one.

H1 (and H2) antihistamines definitely boost opioid action and that's known for quite a while (I don't know why physicians prescribe combination drugs like opioid/APAP or opioid/ibuprofen etc. if for some pain drugs like opioid/brompheniramine would be more effective). I've never really tried to boost opioid effects until I got myself on methadone and my dose is too low to hold me (programs are full here). Alkylamines gave me the best effect. First it was triprolidine at a regular dose for cold. Then I found a medication with dexbrompheniramine which obviously is the best in this series of H1 antihistamines (dextrorotatory isomer is the active one).

Halogenated analogs of pheniramine like chlorpheniramine and brompheniramine are reported to lower the need for an opioid by one tenth to one third. And it's not only for analgesia, but also for opioid effects from methadone (it's really dull but with 6mg dexbrompheniramine and 6mg clonazepam it seems less sedative as a whole experience but it may be totally sleepy if it's too much dexbrompheniramine).

Anyway, brompheniramine (or chlorpheniramine) isn't only an antihistamine, it's also a quite effective anticholinergic agent. So we're back at home. Smoking 200-250mg of A. belladonna leaves is going to boost opioid effects like hell. With morphine-like drugs it's a great nod, like totally not sleeping but being somehow dissociated from the world. I don't think it's practiced anymore but morphine used to be combined with scopolamine for boosting analgesia.

I hate the restless leg syndrome that Dipenhydramine gives, so promethazine is probably best for added euphoria, but it IS strong.

My best say, and because I usually do the weaker opiates(not by preference...) would be to take half or whole of a unisom(doxylamine succinate).
--Take a half to help and whole to nod out

If you just want to get rid of the itch
chlorpheniramine maleate will (and by itself or with DXM preparation will help with potentiantion:))

Last guess would be loratidine which is a pretty side effect free anhistamine my family uses for allergies

is this hydroxyzine availible over the counter in he uk or is it a prescribes thing ?

Hydroxyzine because it doesn't add to the drowsiness but substantially helps with histamine reaction with opiates.

microtel said:
opiates and human physiology are a mystery to me because the human body itself manufactures its own opiates internally (morphine-like substance)

Human body synthesizes morphine itself but for some unknown reason. Definitely not because it acts on opioid receptors while it has peptides with a much higher affinity. It's probably got something to do with the immune system.

promethazine is best for a good nod, dph better for nausea. non drowsy ones for itches.

promethazine is best for a good nod, dph better for nausea. non drowsy ones for itches.

hmm, I would say dimenhydrate over dipenhydramine for straight nausea and less sedation-->dph +tramadol had me in a really heavy (but not that euphoric) nod

heres the hard question.
when do u take then antihistamine with codeine. Before or after?
because its not the codeine thats active it needs to be metabalized to codeine & u dont want something thats going to potentiate the codeine before it converts to morphine.

so im guessing u take the antihistamine 30 mins after the codeine?
ive noticed in alot of threads that this question is very debatable.

Seroquel (Quetiapine an antipyschotic) is listed on wiki as a sedating anthistamine. (thats how its sedating in low dosages).
How does it compare as an antihistamine to potentiate opiates & to help with the histamine release?

Re: Cyclizine

what dosage for an adult? they come in 25mg pills for kids for motion sickness...

I'm looking for non-itch, but not sedating? (benedryl makes me to groggy too enjoy the opiate high...)

Or would Chlorpheniramine be better? (looks like I would need a prescription for Hydroxyzine....Loratadine doesn't really work that well for anti-itching for me....)

Last edited:
For non-drowsy but anti-itch you could take Equate Chlortabs. It may be chlorpheniramine not sure.

And i personally take my antihistamine before the opiate.

Chlorpheniramine passes through BBB so it may be drowsy.

seems like most people just take one at a time? I wonder if some of these combine really well to be even more effective than one individually?

Are Telfast Fexofenadine hydrochloride any good for use while on opiates ?

i found some 180mg tablets in my house today but want to check if these ar any use at all ?

Last edited: