• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What do you think is a possible future for the world's population?

It seems like the other day. I remember every minute of that day.

This isn't the first time a civilization has reached this point of technological progress on Earth. As many as three civilizations on Earth have risen to lunar travel and beyond. What Truly matters is the point of destruction.. Where everything fell apart. When cultures cease seeing each other as individuals and instead as an evil whole ... :|

But we have time to solve these problems. The brightest minds will collude and entropy will be abstained for as long as possible!

it's gonna be an interesting century ahead. John Von Neumann talked about a singularity occurring which "centered on the ever accelerating progress of technology and changes in the mode of human life, which gives the appearance of approaching some essential singularity in the history of the race beyond which human affairs, as we know them, could not continue." It's become a major theme with futurists since then.

The concept makes sense to me. In other words, something's gotta give. I truly want to be optimistic about humanities future though the road leading us towards the transition will no doubt be bumpy and inequitable. Either we reach a point where further advances in technology become impossible because as a civilization we are unable to wield them or we transcend into something all together new. Basically, human evolution has to keep pace with technology, and like it or not we're going to have to find out if we're ready.

calling it a singularity might be romanticizing it cause singularities probably appear discontinuous only in hindsight as a breaking of old trends. If Foreigner is right about achieving fusion in about 30 years, which could happen, we might be a Kardashev type 1 civilization by the end of the century ("A civilization with an energy capability equivalent to the solar insolation on Earth, between 10^16 and 10^17 watts.") That's probably optimistic though. It's symbolically a significant milestone because we'd begin to break the chains the food chain has held on humanity for survival. Hopefully through all that cumulative history of human exploitation we emerge a race of people that aren't total assholes.

Fuck you levelsbeyond for ruining my Kardashev scale spiel.

Well I'm gonna do it anyway. See, many people find solace and hope in religion or spirituality, but because of the advancement of our species through science, do I not only have hope, but actually believe our future is safe. I truly hope the singularity occurs in my lifetime and allows me get rid of my body and just exist. It will take massive cooperation of all mankind to reach even level I and then we will all see how we are different but still exactly the same. I want to witness this more than just about anything else of which I could think, not for the cool new toys that surely will arrive, but to finally see us all working together as one. This may sound sappy, but I really do not give a shit. I feel we are at the first steps of this process as I write and only hope we do not fuck it up before we realize our potential.

What do you think of the Great Filter? I think we approaching it... I have little hope for humanity, though I believe life will persist.

I forgot to mention that in 2087 kittycat is assimilated into the new new wave funk band The Smorgasborgs. As their frontman kittycat becomes the first citizen of the world to attain Kardashev type 1 status on a per capita basis. LevelsBeyond is super jealous

Kittycat circa 2088
Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

I forgot to mention that in 2087 kittycat is assimilated into the new new wave funk band The Smorgasborgs. As their frontman kittycat becomes the first citizen of the world to attain Kardashev type 1 status on a per capita basis. LevelsBeyond is super jealous

Kittycat circa 2088
Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

I will still have hair in 2088.

The Great Filter. Well it certainly explains the Fermi Paradox but think it is probably some get through. We have not lost yet in our drive to a truly global society (I am quite certain the power levels coincide with the power of a planet, star, and galaxy for I, II, III type on the Khardashev scale). Man, I thought I was negative but seems I may be the only ray of hope in this regards. Ehh, fuck it, I'll be dead by then most likely, burn the fucker down. :)

I dunno, I just feel like human nature inclines us towards self-destruction. We are not so good at seeing the bigger picture until its too late.

But then, I am feeling really depressed atm so my perspective is perhaps skewed. :|

I have so little hope for humanity that it virtually equals out to no hope. My hope is for the complete extinction of humanity. As a bodhisattva full of compassion for the ongoing and immense suffering of a species steeped in ignorance but with great power to do harm I see it as the only way. I wish it weren't so.

It sucks when the likelihood sounds pessimistic but isn't.

Times change. Although everything is pointing to destruction, who knows whether something good comes from these next generations (?)

Biological weapons will probably play a greater role in our species demise than any other instrument of death.

Biological weapons will probably play a greater role in our species demise than any other instrument of death.

That has already showed us the dimension of the destruction once in Iraq when they took a village out of the map.
Yesterday I saw the North Korean president giving a proud speech of his successful nuclear program on TV.
Nobody seems to be able to stop that man and I think he remains a great danger for this World as he's too armed, extremely popular within his country and very irresponsible. Not to mention he can be quite unpredictable.

I have so little hope for humanity that it virtually equals out to no hope. My hope is for the complete extinction of humanity. As a bodhisattva full of compassion for the ongoing and immense suffering of a species steeped in ignorance but with great power to do harm I see it as the only way. I wish it weren't so.

I fear you are right. But, perhaps we can use our great power in another way. I think we can escape this mess or, at least, we are the only hope we've got.

I admit, its not looking up. I think unending dark days are almost here. I hope its just my stupid brain being stupid.

I have hope. I trust that these future generations will at least try to do something about it.
I see the kids today and noticed they are much more connected to the ambient and politics than I was at their age.

My generation is instilled with making peace and all. I honestly think times will change, and the new generations might help perpetuate that.

From day one we are taught to recycle, to care, not to act in violence. When we grow older we are influenced by movements like lgbt, stopping warfare, being diplomatic.

The whole gen seems to be different than that from my parents. My stepfather is a devout republican and feels violence is the settler for violence, my mother is a devout conservative democrat, caring less for enviornment and more for children.

Coffee time.

Last edited:
^ this

All it takes is one generation and things can turn around. Our generation ain't going down quietly unfortunately. I think thats the big problem the worlds facing cause the awareness is there. I'll try and do my part better but don't fuck it up Nixiam, or I'll stop recycling :)