• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What do you think is a possible future for the world's population?

I think that in 100 years, we'll have no more wars. Or anything really..

In this case I make the math to see old my children would be and even my grandchildren.
Historically speaking 100 years is nothing - so to speak. I still have a little hope on these new generations.
The current generation has gotten more than mine, from my perspective. So maybe they'll be generous, try to change things in different ways than already tried before. I agree with OP that says their generation from the early 60s did a lot to change and things got even worse. Maybe they try something different.

I can already see now that most of the Judges I know and even Ministers are young and innovative in some European countries. They are doing a better job in terms of trying to make power divided by women, men, different people with different thoughts. Perhaps the future leaderships have more concern about the Earth. Everything is possible.

Last edited:
Historically speaking 100 years is nothing - so to speak.

Only historically. Technology and society have changed tremendously in past decades - change is happening a lot faster now. Many things we wouldn't be even dreaming about 10-20 years ago are the standard of life now. So in my opinion, it's hard to predict what may happen in the next 100 years.

Many things we wouldn't be even dreaming about 10-20 years ago are the standard of life now. So in my opinion, it's hard to predict what may happen in the next 100 years.

Maybe a "technological singularity" will occur, or maybe some catastrophic event that takes us back to stone age. See http://nickbostrom.com/ , apparently one can make serious science from this kind of speculation.

I often hear sociologists, anthropologists making projections about population growth, people accept seem to accept it as inevitabilty, some actually welcome the idea.
Not once have I heard anybody ask "why?". As in, what is the utility, the reason.. the point of the population expanding?
Anybody have any ideas on that?

^ the reason for population growth is significantly improved quality of life, medicine, technology, and of course the fact that people like to fuck. However, I don't think everybody welcomes it as something good. Even with current population, it would take tremendous amounts of resources to provide Western quality of life to the whole world. I don't think it'd even be possible at this time. Sadly, the most of the population growth happens in areas of the world that don't really care/aren't informed about these issues.

When there's more people, it's more likely that one of them will invent something like, say, feasible fusion power, which would solve our energy problems... Of course, unless most of the population increase happens in the lowest social classes of developing nations, that can't even afford to go to elementary school and learn to read.

That seems to be the case, though polymath. There is too much for me to go into now, but stopping population growth, if thats our goal, surely would mean bringing 3rd world into the 1st. And banning religion would help.

I believe that instinctually, our will for the survival of our species is strong. I just worry that the increasing magnitude of the impact we are having on our environment is going to exceed the rate at which our instinctual behaviour evolves and we start living sustainably.

Kitty, banning religion would mean one group of people forcefully pushing beliefs onto other people (sound familiar?). Religion is not the problem- every war, every major conflict in the history of humanity has been the result of one group forcing their ways on others. We have a curious nature -some call it religion, others call it science or philosophy- this trait has been with us forever. It is a major driving force behind our evolution and our species evolves quite rapidly.

All scientific, medical, technological advancement and our continued will to keep advancing, there has to be something driving that, something that surpasses a mere survival trait. It's as if we are striving for something, trying to see the bigger picture, looking for an answer to a question nobody knows.. What that is, I don't know.. But, I'm looking for it too.

I think that when the rate of evolution accelerates, it has its' side effects - one instinct gets sacrificed for another that may only be functional in the short-term. We are going to have to overcome behaviours that lead to short-term gain and long-term consequences. Hierarchy and dispute exist throughout the animal kingdom, we are no exception and will always have such traits - our ability to act in a civil manner and with empathy is equaled by our ability to be ruthless and destructive. I hope that sanity prevails.

Edit: "When there's more people, it's more likely that one of them will invent something like, say, feasible fusion power, which would solve our energy problems...". Interesting point Polymath.

Last edited:
Only historically. Technology and society have changed tremendously in past decades - change is happening a lot faster now. Many things we wouldn't be even dreaming about 10-20 years ago are the standard of life now. So in my opinion, it's hard to predict what may happen in the next 100 years.

True.
In the eyes of techonology 10-20 years is indeed a lot of time.
In the 90s I used to have a typewriter in my office and I remember precisely how it was when we had to dial internet. And all that noisy machine would be considered "the creation" lol.
Not to mention mobile phones, one-2 years and you are totally outdated. I get that.
Besides we have had so many wars as from the 90s, not great great wars but wars all over the place. Who knows.

Last edited:
True.
In the eyes of techonology 10-20 years is indeed a lot of time.
In the 90s I used to have a typewriter in my office and I remember precisely how it was when we had to dial internet. And all that noisy machine would be considered "the creation" lol.
Not to mention mobile phones, one-2 years and you are totally outdated. I get that.
Besides we have had so many wars as from the 90s, not great great wars but wars all over the place. Who knows.

Who do we even blame for war at this point. It is a difficult topic to touch because everyone has got their finger on the trigger.

And it goes like this for some of us indecisive, misinformed secular Americans.

"It must be the Christians! Wait, shit America is that. I can't say that about my country, people will hate me! It has to be the Muslims! Who are you calling a biggot? Biggot!"

I would go on to say that the only cause of warfare is the solidification of ignorant concepts in our society. And not just that, but the dependency on these things to be "happy". Someone call me belligerent, but I will point my finger and damn the ones who have become dependent on ideals that negatively impact the population.

Well said Nixiam!
I've seem the freedom argument for war. Also those who arm themselves so they won't go to war but they do.
North Koreans are craving for war. I think it's part of being human but I would never say that about me.
Most wars are due to religion I guess. When have we lived in peace for so long?
Even Christians fighting orthodox Christians for Christ's sake!!

War probably helps control population a bit though? Id have to check for sure but I was talking more about religious ideology being a cause of growth.

I think socioeconomic factors play a greater role though. Much of the world lives in poverty. They have little education, no knowledge of contraception, and many farm or work other labor intensive jobs that a large family can help with.

Yes, so do these epidemic diseases like aids that killed so many people before it could be treated or even be taken seriously by so many governments.

There are a lot of different types of war IMO and they all makes us less and less sensitive. If we follow this wage of immigrants coming to Europe now is an example of how people can totally ignore sensitive situations on behalf of "good politics". I guess if we put it all together I suppose we don't have much to live for in a hundred years. Soon we'll know.

Last edited:
I agree with you both^. Maybe we should let natural selection run its course. Last thing we need is a bunch of little crusaders waving foam swords at toddlers strapping clocks to themselves.

Then again, maybe genetic predispositions of depressive drug users should be a concern as well. HAHA. Laugh.

I would kind of like to see a thread on Eugenics now.

Oh, by the way Mr. Erik. Are the immigrants largely muslim refugees like we have coming over here in the states?

I think socioeconomic factors play a greater role though. Much of the world lives in poverty. They have little education, no knowledge of contraception, and many farm or work other labor intensive jobs that a large family can help with.

Yes, I agree with that.

Somebody talked about human evolution in this thread. I'm afraid we don't have time to evolve. Organisms with such a long life cycle generally evolve slowly, there's been little change in the genome in the last millenium. The reason our society and technology is advancing is this virtual entity that the humankind shares, called science. And education is primarily responsible for the upkeeping and advancing it.

I agree with Kitty in that we have to get rid of religion, not only to curb population growth, but also to improve education in the Third World. Religion is the main enemy of education. And I believe that education is the most important aspect of a society.

Most wars are due to religion I guess.

I'd say that religion is only the excuse used to cover the fact that what really causes most wars is competition for resources. The problem is that people in power always have and always will use religion as the reason for their destructive actions, because religion is, for many people, the most powerful motivator. If it means you get into heaven or whatever equivalent, you'll believe and support and do just about anything.