Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television The Wire

I would search for it on Youtube, but I don't want to accidentally see something pop up about the show that spoils it, but the funniest line was in episode 11 of this season. Kenard (the small kid who is like 12 or 13) is working on the corner with Namond, and this older dude comes up to buy from him. After the dude gives him the money Kenard starts walking towards the stash, but the guy is right behind him still. So Kenard turns around and dead serious goes, "Bitch, you better get the fuck across the street and plant yo ass on a stoop." The guy immediately backs down. =D I watched that scene about 10 times and it still cracks me up.

Kenard man, Kenard.

OMAR!!!!!

Gets got just buying a pack of Newports. I had a feeling he was going to go down like that. After all the shit he pulled and he gets taken down from behind by a young kid. Almost would have rather seen him get taken down Chris, Snoop, and Michael up in Monk's apartment

I've only got 4 episodes left and that legit makes me sad. I can't believe I put off watching this show for so long. It's been an extremely entertaining ride thus far.

Ever since the first season I been trying to guess whose going to make it through all 5 season alive. So far I am not doing well with my guessing.

Did not see Prop Joe getting done like that. Marlo is just greedy. An episode or two before he does Prop Joe he is coming to Joe asking advice on what to do with his money because he has too much of it. Then he kills Joe, takes the Greek connect, and raises the price per brick on the rest of the co-op.

I guess I just don't understand what his overall goal is. Someone like Stringer Bell made sense to me. He was trying to take his drug money and start turning into legitimate business. He was trying to make a real name for himself. Marlo's name isn't ever going to go beyond the street corners of Baltimore with the way he's going at it. Course I do have a few episodes left.

This a pretty common theme with most tales whether real or fictional where the higher ups of an organization have so much money that they don't know what to do with it. Hard problem to relate to.

Oh, and HOLY SHIT! That shoot-out where Omar was trying to go after Monk, but got setup by Chris, Snoop, Michael, and that other kid (O-Dog?) was crazy. I thought Omar was done at that point. Seems a little unbelievable that he could survive jumping out of a window a few stories up. I thought he was just committing suicide as opposed to letting one of Marlo's crew do him in.

Re: Marlo
I think this clip shows what Marlo is all about.
Vinson: "Prison and graveyards, full of boys who wore the crown."
Marlo: "Point is they wore it. It's my turn to wear it now."

He was in the game for the fame and power. He could have walked away with the money he made and been set for life, but it wasn't about money to him. That's why he put such a big hit on Omar. He could care less about the money he was willing to pay for the bounty, it was more about getting back at Omar for making him look weak when he robbed him at the poker game. Omar had been gone which was a relief for all the dealers he robbed and would have continued to rob, yet Marlo decided to lure him back [spoil]by killing his friend Butchie[/spoil] just for a chance to get back at him for the card game. Marlo couldn't live with the fact that Omar had robbed him, so he needed to do something about it to show he had more power.

Sorry long post, excite!

I guess I was more confused about why he killed off Prop Joe when he did. I know he was after the connect, but you can only get so big so fast. Joe had been teach him all sorts of stuff in the episodes before that and it just seemed like he killed him off too early. He already had street cred/name recognition seemed like he would have done better if he had a little more patience.

Prop Joe had been in the game years before season 1 started and I'm sure he could have showed Marlo more of what to do when you start bringing in more money/more weight etc. Joe was dealing selling wholesale and was acting chairperson of a clear RICO act with the Co-op they started, yet he never seemed to draw the attention of police like Avon and Marlo did. Similar to your quote there was a telling scene moments before Joe is killed when he's trying to make an offer to get out he says something like:

Prop Joe - "I treated you like a son"

Marlo - "I wasn't made to play the son"

I just don't understand the mentality I guess. Street cred is a funny thing though. Omar had as much as anyone and his death didn't even make it into the paper. To the paper he was "34 year old black male killed in a small grocery store in West Baltimore" and that didn't even get into print.

------------

I've still got 1 episode left and I can't figure out how they're going to wrap everything up. Everyone seems to say that the end is awesome and pulls everything together, but the second to last episode ends pretty sad what with Michael having to move Bug away and pretty much make Dukie homeless.

Still got the last episode, but so far it's funny that McNulty seems so upset now that Marlo is in jail. I know he's got that whole serial killer mess, but everytime someone he's after gets arrested or killed he always seems depressed more than anything.

Also funny (not in a haha way though) how Namond ended up being on the debate team and doing well living with Bunny, while the other kids all had much crappier turnouts to their lives. None of them seemed like bad kids either things just didn't work out for them.

LEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIZ LEMON OF 30 ROCK JUST TOLD ME SOMETHING BIG THAT HAPPENS IN THE LAST EPISODE.

It was in a quick joke about the lack of diversity at NBC. Jenna then says something with some slang, and then Lemon says something like, [spoil]Dukie gets killed by a hobo in the stables[/spoil].

Of course maybe she could be talking about some other Dukie of non-caucasian ethnicity [spoil]who is killed in the stables[/spoil]. My last scene was Dukie going to stay in the stables after Michael leaves. Poor, poor Dukie

^ I thought she said "by the vacants." Hmmm, either way I don't recall anything like that happening.

I've been meaning to post, but I've been utterly blown away by how that show ended.

I thought it would be sadder, especially since the second to last episode ended on a very sad note. The way they tied everything together was genius. I had heard it had an amazing ending and I was not disappointed, even with having pretty high expectations. Though I think part of me was expecting to be a little disappointed, but I wasn't at all.

Now I want to re-watch the first season again. What a great show! Really, really glad I started watching it.

season 1 episode 1 this morning. yay for second view. it's been a few years now.

^^^
Im about to start season 4 on my second viewing. This time through I found season 1 to be very boring for some reason. Then season 2 had its moments of brilliance but it really didnt become excellent until season 3. Im really excited about season 4 it was my favorite on my first run through.

^
Did you ever finish going through again?

Been wondering this a while now....do you think Kenard ever got paid for killing Omar? He gets arrested for killing him, so Marlo would definitely find out who killed him. If I recall there was a rather large bounty on Omar's head. It really has nothing to do with the outcome of the show or the overall plot, but I've always been curious about that.

Also, the more time that goes by the less I understand motives by Wee-bey and Chris Partlow. I don't see why they'd do life sentences with no chance of parole just because their people get taken care of. Barksdale couldn't even keep supporting Wee-Bey's wife in season 4 which is why she pushed Namond to go on the corners. I just never understood that blind allegiance. Not just on The Wire though, but in real life as well

Season 2 is so underrated. I love how self-contained it is.

It seems everyone thinks S4 is the best season, but aside from S5 that was my least favorite. Looking forward to re-watching the series again for the fourth or fifth time.

^
Did you ever finish going through again?

Been wondering this a while now....do you think Kenard ever got paid for killing Omar? He gets arrested for killing him, so Marlo would definitely find out who killed him. If I recall there was a rather large bounty on Omar's head. It really has nothing to do with the outcome of the show or the overall plot, but I've always been curious about that.

Also, the more time that goes by the less I understand motives by Wee-bey and Chris Partlow. I don't see why they'd do life sentences with no chance of parole just because their people get taken care of. Barksdale couldn't even keep supporting Wee-Bey's wife in season 4 which is why she pushed Namond to go on the corners. I just never understood that blind allegiance. Not just on The Wire though, but in real life as well
nahh i havent had time to watch them in a while. i need to start back i am up to season 4.

[/SPOILER]i think there are a few reasons for wee-bays loyalty. first is the fear of retaliation he knows he and his family would be a target if he snitched before the end of season 3. after the barksdale organization is taken down his leverage within the judicial system is destroyed. no one cares about barksdale anymore the game has changed and there are nbew players. thats my thinong at least.[/SPOILER]

People like Wee-Bay just don't give a fuck. Provided they can avoid the death penalty, their expectation is that they would do life in prison inevitably. Might as well do it for one of your people, I suppose.

It isn't like Wee-Bay or Chris went down on other people's shit, either. They were other people's orders, but they got caught on their own. They are both good at taking responsibility.

My favorite thing about The Wire is how demanding it is.

There is significance in every moment and scene. It is beautiful! Few, if any, loose ends; extraordinary acting (by far the most important piece of the puzzle); a writing/directing combo that operates on the "show, don't tell" principle.

What you get from the show rewards your own development. Watching it at 18 and watching it now, five years later, is such a different experience. I wouldn't be surprised if I was watching this show for the rest of my life.

i just watched the series and i'm sad it's over. i didn't even understand the scope of the show, i just downloaded it to see what it was about. at first i was kind of disappointed i had downloaded a 'cop show'. ha! i will likely watch the series again in a few years. i don't know what even i'd want to watch now. it's all going to suck in comparison.

^ Pirate that shit, dude. The Wire is so awesome it should be public domain anyway.

ya i found a good site to stream it =). cant wait to start it. I loved Six feet under and deadwood.

^i've decided to go with Oz next, seeing as it also features mr. jd williams
The_Wire_Bodie.jpg

tho cute