Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television The Wire

Oz is pretty good for the first few seasons, but it gets kind of stale (they're in prison, so the setting never changes). But boy, if you like prison rape, that's definitely the show for you.

i just watched the series and i'm sad it's over. i didn't even understand the scope of the show, i just downloaded it to see what it was about. at first i was kind of disappointed i had downloaded a 'cop show'. ha! i will likely watch the series again in a few years. i don't know what even i'd want to watch now. it's all going to suck in comparison.

Sopranos is better imo.

goddamnit.

well, i already figured oz was going to be pretty one note. also, the sopranos...i just can't. i can't. for reasons that have to do with idiots and jersey.

bodie was just very attractive and ncnulty was ESPECIALLY attractive (holy shit, a lowdown irish drunk with self destructive urges). i felt kind of shitty about coveting certain characters in that way and then i came across something the writer of the show said about people breaking down the show into pop culture nuggets and it just kind of confirmed the shitty way i felt about that.

Oz is pretty good for the first few seasons, but it gets kind of stale (they're in prison, so the setting never changes). But boy, if you like prison rape, that's definitely the show for you.

It's not all rape. It happens, but it's not every show... I would venture to say that there's multiple rapes in every season, though. It's... more common than anybody would prefer... :\

That said, the politics in Oz are insane. The setting is perpetual like MrGrunge mentions, but I never felt the show getting stale or anything of the sort. It ranks right up there with the Wire in my book.

^ I would say the show does a good job keeping things interesting despite the limited setting, but by the last couple of seasons I felt myself getting tired of it. The show really depends on it's characters, and because so many come and go, episode quality can be kind of inconsistent (depending on which characters each episode focuses on) - I found the last couple seasons to be the most inconsistent.

I'll have to disagree with your comment about The Wire, but only out of personal preference. The only show I'd say that matches up to (or surpasses) The Wire is The Sopranos.

^ I would say the show does a good job keeping things interesting despite the limited setting, but by the last couple of seasons I felt myself getting tired of it. The show really depends on it's characters, and because so many come and go, episode quality can be kind of inconsistent (depending on which characters each episode focuses on) - I found the last couple seasons to be the most inconsistent.

I'll have to disagree with your comment about The Wire, but only out of personal preference. The only show I'd say that matches up to (or surpasses) The Wire is The Sopranos.

I haven't been able to get into the Sopranos. :(

I haven't really made an effort to, though.

thanks for ruining the whole series for me CJ

sorry dude I wasnt even thinking of it like that. But its not like he was really even a main character. But yeah my fault I need to learn how to use the NSFW tag. Someone want to be nice and explain it to me.

^ Season 3 and 4 deal more with turf war and the gangster side of things, and they're probably my favorite seasons. Seasons 2 and 5 are a bit of a departure - I know a lot of people who think season 2 is the worst of the whole series, but I think it offers an interesting look into the white poverty scene.

I haven't been able to get into the Sopranos. :(

I haven't really made an effort to, though.

Yeah, I had that same problem. One day I decided to just sit down and watch the first five or six episodes, and from then on I was hooked. It really is an excellent show.

i fkn LOVE OZ. soap operaish exaggerated drama but it's so fun and satisfying. you don't even have to watch in it the correct order. =D

^ Erm, wrong thread lefty?

People like Wee-Bay just don't give a fuck. Provided they can avoid the death penalty, their expectation is that they would do life in prison inevitably. Might as well do it for one of your people, I suppose.

It isn't like Wee-Bay or Chris went down on other people's shit, either. They were other people's orders, but they got caught on their own. They are both good at taking responsibility.

In real life, either one if not both would have became an informant and joined witness protection for snitching and giving up Marlo and who ever else they had dirt on imo

i think i will cry if david simon dies. the combination of insight, writing skill, and production skill is perfect. eg i love the fact that the wire has no bs music to tell me how i should be feeling at a particular moment. just ambient noise and circumstantial music/sound.

the guy that was the basis for omar just died a few weeks ago, grab this weeks city paper for anyone in bmore. his name was donnie jackson or something like that.

I got the entire series for Christmas possibly because I'd been talking about how awesome it was since last spring. I'm almost done with season 2 right now. The main thing I've been surprised about is how many characters are present in Season 1 and 2 that didn't get much screen time until seasons 3-5. I think there was just so many characters that it was easy to forget or overlook someone until you know who they are.

Even in Season 1, I didn't realize how many of the characters just in Barksdales organization were seen right in the first few episodes, even if they didn't do much until later in the season (Savino, Little Man, Stinkum for example).

Even though I think Season 2 is the slowest moving of the seasons I've been enjoying it more the second time around. The first time I think I was just not expecting such a changeup from the Towers and Pit to the docks. I'm real pumped about owning the series now. I'm a little disappointed that there are so few episodes that have commentary with them. This is the only show (or movie) where I've watched the commentary along with it.

I got the entire series for Christmas possibly because I'd been talking about how awesome it was since last spring. I'm almost done with season 2 right now. The main thing I've been surprised about is how many characters are present in Season 1 and 2 that didn't get much screen time until seasons 3-5. I think there was just so many characters that it was easy to forget or overlook someone until you know who they are.

Even in Season 1, I didn't realize how many of the characters just in Barksdales organization were seen right in the first few episodes, even if they didn't do much until later in the season (Savino, Little Man, Stinkum for example).

Even though I think Season 2 is the slowest moving of the seasons I've been enjoying it more the second time around. The first time I think I was just not expecting such a changeup from the Towers and Pit to the docks. I'm real pumped about owning the series now. I'm a little disappointed that there are so few episodes that have commentary with them. This is the only show (or movie) where I've watched the commentary along with it.

i enjoyed the second veiwing as well. like you said, the opening scene has several major characters that appear to be extras. the cast is huge with many "leads"(mcnutty, stringer, frank sob, bubs, marlo, naymond, colvin etc), if we can call them that, followed by ~20 stong supports(slim charles, carver, prop joe, gregs etc) and an additional 20 or so 2nd tier supports(cole, horseface, donut, valchek etc). a fully fleshed understanding of the story is where i got the most enjoyment.

the guy that was the basis for omar just died a few weeks ago, grab this weeks city paper for anyone in bmore. his name was donnie jackson or something like that.
Donnie Andrews, google his name if you like
Unfortunately though, the real man was not really gay, nor a sociopath, as he supposedly turned himself in due to extreme guilt over a couple of murders, he but did at least supposedly jump out of an apartment building to save himself at one point in his life. I also read that Omar was a composite of a few Baltimore characters, so this may be part of the explanation.