• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the S+G social thread vers. NFL offseason = S+G offseason

My daughter is pretty sporty. She is a red belt in taekwando, plays water polo and surfs. She isn't really keen on watching sport on television which is nice I suppose.

My daughter is pretty sporty. She is a red belt in taekwando, plays water polo and surfs. She isn't really keen on watching sport on television which is nice I suppose.

Nice, Im actually a blackbelt in Taekwondo (for what its worth, I got it when I was 15, then quit).

^ Have you stopped martial arts training altogether? Ever thought about training in something new? Many people I train with have backgrounds in other disciplines or train in multiple disciplines for MMA or just plain fitness/exercise. I wish my parents would have gotten me into something when I was younger. Probably would have helped my self-confidence and self-esteem a whole lot. And I probably wouldnt have been bullied as much. %)

I did wrestling in HS until I was 17 but other than that no combative sports at all. Im 26 now.

I always felt like MMA was just a more neanderthal oriented version of boxing. People argue "well MMA is closer to a real fight so it's better" and that's just not true at all. Wtf does "real fight" even mean? The best fights to watch are ones that end in punches being thrown for knockouts IMO, not some guy straddling the other until he rips his Tapout shirt off in shame. Most "real fights" are just bar room dogpiles that wind up being broken up within 10 seconds anyway. It's the "lets take this outside" fight in the parking lot where two guys will line up and throw punches. You know, that sport called boxing? It's just such a more finesse oriented sport, MMA is just all over the place all the time.

Maybe I'm old school, but I feel like boxing is just the ideal form of competitive fighting.

there's just so much more possibilities in MMA than boxing which makes it more interesting to me. stand up, ground game, clinch.

boxing you figure out who is the better boxer while MMA you figure out who is truly a better fighter using all your skills which includes boxing.

I'm saying that Boxing is a better representation of a fair and planned bout rather than watching two dudes trying to dry hump each other with 10,000 bros screaming in the background and sponsors plastered on anything that isn't a fire extinguisher or the ref's face. Boxing is just such more of an artform IMO, like I said most MMA bouts are just all over the place

i dont see how an MMA fight wouldnt be just as fair and planned a bout as boxing. Im talking UFC level talent not some street fight.

styles make fights. there are plenty of fights where it doesnt even come close to touching the ground and it's just a kickboxing match. others you might see everything, etc

everyone who doesn't watch MMA says the same thing, two guys dry humping each other. the only time that will happen is with a shitty matchup. there are plenty of boring boxing fights as well.

more ways to finish a fight = more exciting imo

I rarely watch boxing or mma but I do think they are both entertaining.

The only thing I don't like about mma is submissions. I just like seeing a knock out punch, not somebody tapping out
other than that though it's awesome

People argue "well MMA is closer to a real fight so it's better" and that's just not true at all. Wtf does "real fight" even mean? The best fights to watch are ones that end in punches being thrown for knockouts IMO, not some guy straddling the other until he rips his Tapout shirt off in shame. Most "real fights" are just bar room dogpiles that wind up being broken up within 10 seconds anyway.

The difference between MMA and "real fights" is that MMA fighters actually know how to fight properly and arent just some angry drunken idiots.

Last edited:
I rarely watch boxing or mma but I do think they are both entertaining.

The only thing I don't like about mma is submissions. I just like seeing a knock out punch, not somebody tapping out
other than that though it's awesome

submissions are awesome lol

i definitely think once you get more educated with the sport it is soo much more fun to watch and a lot of people talking shit on it seem like they dont actually give it a real shot.

also to each his own i guess.

I know it is clichéd but for me boxing is more of an art form. The only thing that appeals to me about MMA is the lack of a thousand different organisations running it and if there are two fighters that you really want to watch fight, it will be organised. Grappling and wrestling just harks back to school yard brawls and gets a bit repetitive after a while. Nothing like a 10th round with both boxers out on their feet, trying to deliver a knock out blow. I see nothing good with a dude sitting on his opponents chest raining punches to an unprotected face.

The league game with the kids was fucking awesome. Close right up until the end, a fight just before half time and the home team won. Perfect winter weather and not too many bogans around us in the stand. My 6 yr old son got a little bored half way through the second half but I sat him on my lap and gave him a play by play of where we should attack, defend and which corner they will kick to next. I think he was pretty impressed that I could point out where the fullback should track to if he needed to make the try saving tackle. The guy in front of me was impressed, but it is a hell of a lot easier to read the game from row 107 ;)

there are plenty of fights where it doesnt even come close to touching the ground and it's just a kickboxing match.

so like Muay Thai? or what's that other one called........uh......kickboxing?

The difference between MMA and "real fights" is that MMA fighters actually know how to fight properly and arent just some angry drunken idiots.

yes, there is a difference. Just not enough of one to sway my opinion on it.

I don't mind watching MMA, I just would rather watch a good boxing match than a good octagon fight. Mostly, I just hate Dana White's face to be honest

dana white is the biggest joke in sports even surpassing the likes of David Stern. It seems like he's trying so hard to turn the UFC into the WWE. That's the main reason it isn't up there with the NFL for me. They need to be more professional and not give guys title shots just because they can talk trash.

but MMA is just starting now to get those freak athletes coming into the sport because of it's increase in popularity. One day black people will own the title in every weight division.

dana white is the biggest joke in sports even surpassing the likes of David Stern. It seems like he's trying so hard to turn the UFC into the WWE. That's the main reason it isn't up there with the NFL for me. They need to be more professional and not give guys title shots just because they can talk trash.
Dana White may be a jerk but he isnt trying to convert the UFC into WWE, that is ridiculous. That can only be said of Bjorn Rebney and Bellator.

but MMA is just starting now to get those freak athletes coming into the sport because of it's increase in popularity. One day black people will own the title in every weight division.
Freak athletes dont exactly translate to domination in MMA. The top guys from other combat sports (wrestling, BJJ, judo, etc) who come into MMA dont dominate that often either. GSP didnt wrestle before he became an MMA fighter and he pancakes top tier wrestlers whenever he faces them. I'm talking NCAA All Americans/champions.

And by the way, there are only 2 white UFC champs at the moment (Ronda Rousey & Chris Weidman). Everyone else is brown or black. :p And Weidman only just upset one of the GOAT MMA legends last month.

Dana White may be a jerk but he isnt trying to convert the UFC into WWE, that is ridiculous. That can only be said of Bjorn Rebney and Bellator.

Freak athletes dont exactly translate to domination in MMA. The top guys from other combat sports (wrestling, BJJ, judo, etc) who come into MMA dont dominate that often either. GSP didnt wrestle before he became an MMA fighter and he pancakes top tier wrestlers whenever he faces them. I'm talking NCAA All Americans/champions.

And by the way, there are only 2 white UFC champs at the moment (Ronda Rousey & Chris Weidman). Everyone else is brown or black. :p And Weidman only just upset one of the GOAT MMA legends last month.

we got Cain, Weidman, GSP, Cruz, and Rousey. and im talking black as night.

but when you get freak athletes mastering the same shit as other fighters that's when you get the champions.

UFC isnt trying to turn into the WWE the same way Bellator is. If you wanna be up there with the top sports organizations like the NFL and NBA then you cant be giving title shots based solely off trash talk and what can sell the better fight. These days the guy that truly deserves the title shot usually has to wait forever in line while the better selling matchups cut in front. It's like Roger Goodell picking the matchups for the superbowl, no true fan should want to see that shit. You sometimes have to sacrifice the better selling matchup for the integrity of the sport.

we got Cain, Weidman, GSP, Cruz, and Rousey. and im talking black as night.

UFC isnt trying to turn into the WWE the same way Bellator is. If you wanna be up there with the top sports organizations like the NFL and NBA then you cant be giving title shots based solely off trash talk and what can sell the better fight. These days the guy that truly deserves the title shot usually has to wait forever in line while the better selling matchups cut in front. It's like Roger Goodell picking the matchups for the superbowl, no true fan should want to see that shit. You sometimes have to sacrifice the better selling matchup for the integrity of the sport.

Oops, forgot GSP (sorry Canada! :p).

In reality, comparing the NFL and UFC is not a fair comparison for many reasons. The first of which is team v individual sports. I do agree that talking yourself into title shots kind of sucks and waters down the product but there are many reasons these things happen. Training injuries are becoming way too common now and something with that needs to be fixed in order to keep building the sport. A better comparison for the UFC would be pro boxing. It is no where near the level it was 15-20 years ago. Sure Pacman, Floyd Mayweather and a few others are exciting but even when they fight, who is on their undercard? Zzzzzzzz....... That isnt to say the UFC shows always have stacked cards though. There can be some stinkers there too but more often than not they deliver from top to bottom. The same cannot be said of pro boxing these days which is not watchable for me anymore.