• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the S+G social thread vers. NFL offseason = S+G offseason

I got a full time position at the place i've been interning at! I start June 1st. Ill be continuing government affairs stuff, as well as starting to do data analysis. Ill have my own office with a salary and benefitts and everything! Not 100% sure what the pay is (probably noting too great) but at least 40k plus benefits and opportunity for advancement. Ill also be given a lot of freedom in my daily activities.

Beats the hell out of the wage slavery ive been doing so far in my life. I put in my 2 weeks notice at my hardware store job today. Felt really good.

I will be giving presentations in front of the board members a few times a year, traveling abroad to large conferences and other cool stuff. Im really excited!

A tardy congrats btw.

Protip: dont blow your per diem on strippers and alcohol. ;)

not gonna lie I have been watching a couple MLS games here and there. I mean, its obviously not close to the Premier League or anything, but its not like it is a completely different product. The guys are still pretty good soccer players, just not quite as precise with the first touch as players in the European leagues. And I just feel compelled to support any local team, even if it is in like synchronized swimming or something.

I never understood why people in the US cant watch soccer on tv "because it's too boring" while they switch over to a baseball game or a network drama with the same synopsis as the last 40 shows with a dark sounding name before it.

They need a new English guy for the play by play though, the guy they have now has an annoying accent not the cool ones like on Fifa.

You know its a bad time in Philly sports if im watching the Union but I actually feel like the MLS is going to slowly pick up in popularity. All that needs to happen is cheaper tickets, bigger names, and some kind of rivalries being formed.

which is easy in some areas because I could hate any team from New York so its more about just getting some better players.

Except theres like 50 million soccer clubs throughout the world so why would the upcoming talent play for a market that doesnt really care and doesnt spend money to allow the owners to pursue better players?

Basically, they need a face of the league. Paging: Freddy Adu. wtf happened to that guy he had a shoe contract before he could even take his drivers test and now he's a nobody. He was actually on the Union for a little but Idk if theyre gonna bring him back.

I just cant watch any more Phillies games right now, Im trying to keep my stress levels down. Domonic Brown might win player of the month, only took about 3 years longer than we were led to believe would happen.

Either way I still hope he keeps doing good so we can trade his ass at the deadline once and for all and let some other team watch his questionable fielding choices and approach at the plate.

gus Johnson calls soccer games these days

only way to get me to watch soccer, and that's only if it's in OT

if I had a son I would make up awesome lies to manipulate him out of any interest in soccer, and if he did have any interest and didn't quite look like me, I would call my wife a two-timing whore

and if it were a step son, I would always be 'working' during his games

soccer is more fun to play than baseball / softball

unless youre just slow and have clumsy feet, then its probably not

exactly

i hate it cause i suck at it, same reason why most people hate golf

softball is more fun than soccer, unless you can't throw the ball more than 50 mph or if just making contact with the ball is a pleasant surprise

i have hand-eye coordination of a pro

footwork like a polio kid, although I've got some pretty eccentric, yet successful moves in the low post when hooping

yeah except I dont talk shit on golf because I couldnt be proficient at it, I just hate the whole atmosphere.

I could never be a basketball player for any competitive team, but its my 2nd favorite sport to watch

soccer is a sport of possesion first and foremost, which is what people get turned off by. They want to see a shot every 30 seconds or a guy dribble through 6 defenders like Messi or whoever is considered the greatest footballer right now would do. Thats like expecting every nba player to be like Lebron, it just doesnt work like that.

Its more about quick movement by not wasting time controlling it, and good passing.

And of course you get the occasional top corner shot from almost midfield but thats almost akin to the basketball full court desperation shot before halftime going in. Its more about the goalie not getting a perfect jump on it or the ball curving at the last minute

I dont know why I have to explain why soccer is entertaining if you dont like it you dont like it but I just think people in the US are too quick to talk shit on it when they really dont know anything about it besides the big club names and when the US manages to beat Algeria in the World Cup (stop the presses)

Im glad I played soccer and not football as a kid because I know a few people who are pretty battered physically from it and one actually hasnt not needed pain meds for at least 5-6 years

long story short: soccer is fun to watch if you had fun playing it

isnt there supposedly more flops in soccer than basketball?
didnt know that was possible.
that alone would turn me off.

you guys think everything is a flop but I will agree soccer is the worst offender

It wasnt like that in the youth leagues I played in though we went hard, shin pads got put to the test, tears were shed, blood spilled, orange slices given out at halftime, pizza party at the end of the year, aww yeah

i was definitely a baseball kid

yet don't like watching it

short story short: there isn't any accurate theory behind why people like/hate the things that they do - but god damn is speculation entertaining

i think a simple motto to describe almost everything is, 'does it work?'

Im glad I played soccer and not football as a kid because I know a few people who are pretty battered physically from it and one actually hasnt not needed pain meds for at least 5-6 years
You know me as well. Football gave me countless broken fingers toes, high ankle sprains, a plethora of concussions and knee problems. Plus a fractured lumbar disk... I'm glad I didn't pursue it into my college years.

i thought the movie division 3 was going to be really fucking bad

and most of it was only funny if you're 15 years old, but god damn andy dick played maybe the best on screen coach ever, some seriously hilarious lines/behavior, reminded me of someone on day 2.5 of a binge, which he probably was

My friend that was gonna go to EDC cant go anymore so he gave me his ticket.

lol who says "short story short"?

I think I might know actually but I dont listen to him so I cant be positive

the number of performers at edc is crazy. who are you psyched to see, care?

alasdair

I played soccer when I was a kid and it gave me the kicking skills to dominate rugby when I was older. I scored 5 goals in my last game (it was actually 6, the ball stopped just short of the goal and I tapped it in but told my mate he had scored), walked off and told my old man I was going to concentrate on rugby. Although I probably played 20kg too light at least I got to play professionally in Europe. The chances of a skinny kid from NZ playing soccer in Europe back then was pretty much zero.

The worst thing for me about soccer is actually the over zealous supporters. I like passion in sport but particularly in Europe and S America you rarely feel safe in the stadium. That sort of crazy shit also transfer to local leagues for no real reason. Fights and setting off flares in the stands puts me off taking my kids.

At the moment the British and Irish lions rugby side are touring Australia. It happens once every 12 years and is fucking awesome. The best players in Europe selected in a team and tour the country for 2 months playing all over. The supporters are awesome, cut piss at the pub from dusk to dawn and the friendly banter and singing is awesome. Rugby supporters are just a lot classier than soccer I'm afraid.

the number of performers at edc is crazy. who are you psyched to see, care?

alasdair

I havent even looked at the lineup. I havent been keeping up with the EDM scene as much as I used to so Im not sure who I would know who I would like even if I knew who was playing. Ill probably be at the big stage most of the time (which im assuming is more house-type music) and maybe check out some smaller stages to see whats up if im not feeling it.

still watching the MLS. This game was incredibly boring but not boring at the same time, kind of a good way to describe soccer in general really.

my fave Union player drew a red card like 10 mins into the match so they should have scored more than a goal but it is what it is

All that needs to happen is cheaper tickets, bigger names, and some kind of rivalries being formed.

telling you guys, MLS going to start blowing up so long as FIFA 20xx is being released and it's on TV more

not a bad goal either

mostly its because the Phillies are tanking it though, I dont know if I would even watch it if they were in the playoff race

I am taking my kids to their first NRL rugby league match this weekend. It is the only local daytime game this season which means every dad and his kid will be there. Night games are great for tv ratings but you end up dragging your kids home after 10.30pm on the train. Lately my oldest daughter has been taking an interest in games with me. I don't care if it is daddy issues kicking in, or she wants to just hang, it's a small victory in the world of sports and parenting. I can only hope for an on field brawl during the weekends game and my son will be hooked too.

Cool stuff. Ive always kinda thought it was important for girls to have at least some interest in sports so they dont grow up to be a total prissy bitch. If I ever have a girl you bet your ass im gonna force her to do some sort of physical activity.