• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The movie 'Limitless': Is it possible?

I doubt it was based on a real drug, I know that you're forbidden to portray drugs in a positive light in films so presumably that was why they had to show that the drug killed you. It would've been interesting if the drug had been purely positive but that's not allowed.

Everything is based on some sort of reference point in reality. In a sense, there's no such thing as a truly "original" idea. 4-MAR is the closest bet here, as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure it wasn't the only inspiration, but I'm willing to bet NZT-48 as a concept would not exist without 4-MAR. The effects resemble each other far too closely compared to any other substance I know of. I'm sure Piracetam and low-dose LSD would have been significant inspirations as well, but I'll have to stick to 4-MAR here, as far as the "main" inspiration goes. If you have any better guesses, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Here's the link where I had originally seen this mentioned. As I thought, this is nothing more than speculation, but interesting nonetheless: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1026537&postcount=6

I think it's most plausibly based off of Adderall and Ritalin -- as these are the most widely prescribed "cognitive enhancers" -- and the surgery in "Flowers for Algeron." An enormous number of people in college use these drugs for studying, so it's not hard to imagine "super Adderall" from such experiences. These drugs are certainly why the story resonates with the typical consumer (not with me, though -- I found the moving taxing, heh).
Piracetam + Amphetamine :D

If you've experienced it you know what I mean probably :p

[For those that haven't: You know where in the film they show the guy processing so many different trains of thought at once, it's like that, you can have 3 different convos irl face to face going simultaneously and still be doing other shit like writing a song or a story. It's a really weird feeling I've never had even slightly from Piracetam or Amphetamine alone but got very strongly when I combined the two]
I've tried the combo and found it more pleasant than either alone, though I've never personally experienced cognitive enhancement above an ideal well-rested and naturally stimulated baseline state from any stimulant. I think psychological tests indicate such enhancement effects are mostly confined to those who suffer from learning disabilities like ADHD, right? I do experience an increase in the number of different thought trains I'm jumping between along with a FEELING that I'm more engaged and in control, but I seriously doubt I'm any more of an effective multi-tasker for it. To the contrary I'm often left scatterbrained by stimulants. Their enhancing effect occurs in a relative rather than absolute sense, like the way they can help me focus and feel motivated despite not getting enough sleep. They improve the performance of normal individuals who are sleep deprived, inebriated, or psychologically unhealthy but I'm pretty sure the optimal balance for cognition can only be achieved without drugs. What I've read is that the best cognitive performance tends to be achieved at the physiological middle ground of tired/stimulated; hungry/surfeit; horny/asexual; etc, which implies peak performance depends on achieving functional harmony more so than jacking up any particular subsystem (though I'll be the first to admit that's not convenient/no fun).

As others have alluded to true cognitive enhancement is probably going to come from some kind of surgery, brain prostheses, or genetic engineering.

Last edited:
This compound seems like is might be soft of like NZT-49 (NZT-48 with little to no side effects). Benzofuranylpropylaminopentane.
There's also prolintane.

Last edited:
Oxolinic acid might be like NZT. It's a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and an antibiotic. It has stimulant properties. Lefetamine is a combination stimulant and pain killer. Reducing pain perception while being alert comes in handy sometimes. Maybe oxolinic acid can be stacked with DMAA(dimethylamylamine) and a low dose of 2C-D. Choline, L-tyrosine, 5-HTP and vitamin D can help replenish receptor compounds like choline, dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. Oxolinic acid seems interesting.

Here's a molecule that could be NZT-49 in real life. Norzatrensine.
1zldd76.png

It's based on nomifensine. I assume that the blood dissolving toxicity comes from the amino group directly attached to the phenyl group. Cyclylization could eliminate this while hopefully allowing this stimulant molecule to retain it's non addictive properties.

This one is methylpheniclone. It's a longer lasting version of methylphenidate. Hopefully, it's duration does not resemble the ridiculously long acting desoxypipradrol.
whzl2a.jpg

Here's indanetraline.
24v901f.png

Here's B-PhenylAmphetamine, Beta-PhenylAmphetamine, or "super speed".
qsqd0m.jpg

Here's ethylphenidate.
157181-eb2ec2f5ef9648328f315cce712dfedc.png

Here's CycloHexylAminoPropane,1-cyclohexyl-2-aminopropane, or "CHAP".
141l6j4.jpg

Ethylphenidate might be like the old NZT-48. Confidence boosting and motivational, but full of side effects.
The oral dose range might be 10mg to 40mg. Here's a picture of ethylphenidate!
2njwlfl.png

Last edited:
NZT is finally here! This is the closest to NZT that we got. It's an extremely powerful cognitive enhancer and a norepinephrine dopamine reuptake inhibitor. It has a nearly perfect profile. There's probably a catch though. Just like the real thing in the movie "limitless". It's called nomifensine. NOMINFENSINE! It's OVER 9,000!!!!!!!!!! What if it causes a crazy side effect with prolonged use, like an abnormal breakdown and dissolving of red blood cells? If so, then this molecule needs remodification.
Nomifensine3DanJ.gif

Here's some background music. Or you can use your own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq7AGZN0umY

As others have alluded to true cognitive enhancement is probably going to come from some kind of surgery, brain prostheses, or genetic engineering.

As soon as we're able to fuse computers with our brain circuitry, that's when it will happen. Imagine attaching a microprocessor to a brain function, and now sudden;y you can computer like a computer while still retaining your human brain flexibility and awareness. Seems like it should be possible, I bet it will happen. Probably sooner than you think with the rate that things are moving technologically.

Titrating up quickly between 300-500 mg of baclofen, I experienced something that we call "zoom," where you're placed in this hyper-focused, creative, crazy place. You could see patterns in things and learn things you never saw before, and I was able to write large amounts of things very quickly. Unfortunately, though, it's a state that isn't reliably achieved, and I doubt I'd be able to repeat it again.

Wow, 300-500mg of baclofen? I took 50mg once and I felt HORRIBLE for a day and a half, it was clearly too much for me. My insides felt like they were on fire and I had zero short-term memory.

Well you have to titrate up to that point, although I did it very fast once I reached 300. Don't start out taking 300 mg (or 50, apparently) or you could end up in the ER

Titrating up quickly between 300-500 mg of baclofen, I experienced something that we call "zoom," where you're placed in this hyper-focused, creative, crazy place. You could see patterns in things and learn things you never saw before, and I was able to write large amounts of things very quickly. Unfortunately, though, it's a state that isn't reliably achieved, and I doubt I'd be able to repeat it again.
Interesting. I also believe using 'more' of your brain will come from the merging of human intelligence and artificial intelligence. Just imagine if you could overclock your brain like a computer. Unfortunately that also makes a computer run hot, as humans we have limits to the heat we can generate before adverse effects occur. So who knows what the future holds.

I knew that baclofen was sort of like a smart drug! It can be usually stacked with XTC though to counteract overheating. 2C-G-N (also called "2C-NPH") can keep you awake for 20 hours to over 40 hours with a mild stimulant action. It's like a wakefulness enhancer and a mild stimulant combined. Has anyone ever stacked a low dose of 2C-D with nefiracetam and adderall? Cognitive enhancement may come from a super-stack of new compounds and older compounds rather than just a single drug.

Perhaps a mega-stack could be the future. If nomifensine can be modified, the new compound would be a non addictive stimulant without the blood dissolving, eye yellowing side effects. More molecules could be created to make the brain grow more neurons. We're so close to developing compounds that can organically overclock the brain, yet the stupid war on drugs prevents further research.

Have you actually tried 2C-G-N? I'd love to try some of the 2C-G series as I love long duration psychedelics but I was not aware of any of them being available at any point.

Now I want to try 2C-G-N(2C-NPH) too! I've been recently reading up on arecoline and it seems to be a stimulant that also enhances cognition and memory. Maybe the improvements on cognition is mild to moderate?
If this is the cognitive enhancer speculation, cognitive enhancer, nootropic, and nootropic sub-sections thread, then it's awesome. That means more wiggle room for vagueness I guess.
The sub-sections are, memory enhancers, problem solving skills enhancers, anti-anxiety substances, stimulants, and other sub-sections.
1-Cyclopentyl-2-AminoPentane is a stimulant, but does it rival caffeine? Hopefully.
2danl8m.jpg

Fluorenol has been shown to be active on it's own, requiring only half the dose of modafinil. It's wakefulness effects are stronger.
medium.png

Limitless NZT might come from a stack rather than a single chemical.

Here's a couple of more molecules.
Z-17 (hypothetical molecule stronger than methylphenidate).
27zodh.png

Here's PhenylMethylPiracetam. It exist and it's a sigma-1 receptor modifier.
35a2khg.png

Tametraline is an NDRI stimulant.
Tametraline.png

NZT-49 might be 20mg to 50mg of prolintane stacked with 50mg to 100mg fluorenol and 100mg phenylpiracetam. Though expanding the 2C-x series might yield NZT like compounds(though higher doses would likely be psychedelic).\
Though while moderate to severe 5HT2a receptor activation(5HT2a receptor agonism) produces psychedelic effects, mild activation produces nootropic effects. The sad thing is that lately, society has ran dry out of psychedelics so that governments could more effectively install fear in us.

Last edited:
Isn't arecoline what's in betel nuts? If so, I don't think it's anything to write home about, it felt dirty to me and I vastly prefer caffeine. Of course I had betel nut, not pure arecoline.

Prolintane might rival caffeine as being safer, stronger, more concentration enhancing and motivational, and less habit forming than caffeine. It might be the caffeine of the future.
Here's a picture of the prolintane molecule.
The oral dose range is said to be 20mg to 60mg. Prolintane's duration is 7 hours to over 12 hours.
1p9s1x.png

Here's cyclohexylpiracetam! It's based on phenylpiracetam.
121a1wl.png

Last edited:
Actually thought this film was alright; when he started to trip out it looked like it was going to be moralising and he would be unstuck by doing drugs but it doesn't - bravo!
Is it possible - in the sense that drugs and other techs can and will enhanse human capabilities yes of course but not like the singular way in the film

Actually thought this film was alright; when he started to trip out it looked like it was going to be moralising and he would be unstuck by doing drugs but it doesn't - bravo!
Is it possible - in the sense that drugs and other techs can and will enhanse human capabilities yes of course but not like the singular way in the film

He remodified the NZT-48 molecule at the end to make NZT-49, a newer version of the drug that has no side effects and induces a permanent 4 digit IQ so that he'll never have to take another pill again. Though NZT-49 can possibly boost cognition further every time it's taken. NZT-49 is likely hallucinogenic at high doses.
I do agree that though it's possible to enhance human capabilities, it's not currently possible in the way the movie portrays. Though expanding the 2C-x series and remodifying nomifensine may create NZT-49 type molecules.