• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The movie 'Limitless': Is it possible?

From the reviews/reports it sounds pretty muddled in this regard. If the moral is just "Be happy with what you are... don't take drugs trying to be superman because it just makes you a jerk and people get hurt, M'Kay?"

Pretty much the opposite actually. This review sums it up well:

"As depressing a comment on modern movie-making as that is, however, there's also something admirably nutty about Limitless. Despite some illogical plot turns it's a Hollywood film that for once refuses to get moralistic about its vacuous premise, favouring instead the guilt-free fantasy that mind-expanding drugs and an awesome haircut really can improve your life."

Alistair Harkness
Scotsman

(although as I said before it depends how you interpret the ending)

Last edited:
That 10% of neurons are firing at one time is like how 10% of transistors are firing at one time: it's optimal.

Pretty much the opposite actually. This review sums it up well:

"As depressing a comment on modern movie-making as that is, however, there's also something admirably nutty about Limitless. Despite some illogical plot turns it's a Hollywood film that for once refuses to get moralistic about its vacuous premise, favouring instead the guilt-free fantasy that mind-expanding drugs and an awesome haircut really can improve your life."

Alistair Harkness
Scotsman

(although as I said before it depends how you interpret the ending)

Well cool then, I hope (we'll have to see about that ending). If it's as that review says, yea, that would be refreshing, definitely. Thanks for the info!

just for the level of intensity and the "psychoactiveness" if I may coin an adjective
"psychoactiveness" is a noun, and the concept already expressed rather more elegantly by the word "psychoactivity".

Few urban legends irritate me more than the "we only use 10% of our brains" thing. It is simultaneously one of the most popular and one of the most obviously ridiculous. Would natural selection really create this enormous, physiologically cumbersome, energy-hungry organ in your head, just so 90% of it can go to waste?

It also perpetuates the idiocy of Cartesian dualism, as though "you" are an entity separate from your brain, "using" it the way you would use a car.

Short answer, no, it's not possible.

Most of the effects (pro focus, creativity, motivation, improved memory access) of the drug in the movie were just an exagerated description of your standard dopaminergic stimulant.

Fully agreed.

And Dwayne the ending is the best part IMO.

Just saw this movie again last night, wasn't as interesting the second time around.

Is it possible to make a better extraction from the coca plant that could potentially be better than cocaine? Never done coke but my girlfriend wants me too

Just saw this movie again last night, wasn't as interesting the second time around.

Is it possible to make a better extraction from the coca plant that could potentially be better than cocaine? Never done coke but my girlfriend wants me too

In short, no.

It also perpetuates the idiocy of Cartesian dualism, as though "you" are an entity separate from your brain, "using" it the way you would use a car.
Without trying to derail the thread, I am something separate from my brain in the same way that a statue is a separate from the rock that constitutes it.

Without trying to derail the thread, I am something separate from my brain in the same way that a statue is a separate from the rock that constitutes it.

Im not sure that analogy works. Sure you can have the concept of the statue apart from the rock but that requires a brain or something like it. in that way theres no statue w/o the rock or no you without your brain.

^Not disputing that, of course there's no you with no brain, but you are emergent from that brain, not identical with it. When I talk about that tree over there, we don't say "well, actually there's no tree, there's mostly just carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen". Without those elements, does the tree exist? No. Is the tree something more than the sum of its parts? Undoubtedly.

Anyway, fascinating as the mind/body problem is, it belongs in P&S. Let's leave this thread for discussion of this movie (which sounds awful btw).

It surprises me that you think that tbirdee. What about LSD? If it were not a myth about the 10 or 20% use of our brains I think that classic psychedelics unlock way more than stimulants. On stimulants I feel as if it gets sped up, not really increased qualitatively.

Actually maybe a modest dose of DOX plus piracetam would come closest but that would be pushing it. On DOB, I felt like a fucking supercomputer. Not that it was fun but it's the closest thing I can come up with.

Low dose LSD seems like it can put me "in the zone" in a similar way to NZT.

Seeing as how many of you dont beleive the whole 10% thing, maybe think of it as neurons firing 10x faster than normal.

The thing that i liked about this film was that the character saw things clearer, both litterally and figurativley. His brain was key`d up so he could think and converse on a completley different level wich was helped by him being motivated to the brim and feeling very confident, wich is coincidentally also caused by the drug 8)

Take too much though, and you wont sleep and go and murder some chick.
Dont take enough and you`ll be feeling like shit, your potential dropping to a minimum.

Doesnt this sound exactly like cocaine or amphetamines? They`re even better cos you wont drop dead when you abruply stop using.

30mg 4-fa + 60mg mephedrone + 1.6g piracetam put me "in the zone". I didn't have instant recall of all of my memories, but it was the most productive I'd been in 5+ years. It made the work I was doing extremely enjoyable, and gave me high self-confidence and extreme focus. It really felt like the way the movie depicts the first time the dude took nzt where he hammered out his book draft in a couple hours.

NZT-49 a step up from NZT-48

Do you think it'd be possible to create a drug that's similar to the one in Limitless?

In the end, Eddie Morra creates NZT-49(nootropic), leaving NZT-48(fake nootropic) obsolete.
The alternate ending is scarier. There's no NZT-49 in the alternate ending, only NZT-48.

It could not exactly be like the movie, but there can be exponential growth in intelligence. DMAA is the closest thing to it in terms of practicality without the dangers or toxicity. DMAA(Dimethylamylamine) is stimulant like, though it's starting to get banned in some countries. Then there's the 2C-x series at sub-hallucinogenic doses which is exponential, but it has to be given time as initial cognitive increases are initially kind of subtle. There are the racetams. Phenylpiracetam being an example. They increase focus and concentration mostly. Then there are anti-anxiety mood lifters that don't block cognition. Examples include agomelatin, IAP(IndanylAminoPropane) and 2-methyl-2-butanol(which lacks toxic metabolites).
Hypranootropics(super nootropics)
Nootropics(permanent cognitive enhancement)
Quasinootropics(temporary cognitive increase, little or no brain damage)
Pseudonootropics(fake nootropics. The effect is temporary and there's extensive damage, toxicity, and a host of side effects including high addiction potential, blackouts and brain damage)

Perhaps if everyone had access to 2C-x and explored it at sub-hallucinogenic levels and more analogs would be made, we might have NZT-49 like compounds. But governments are idiots!
2C-Infinity!
1zzqpnb.jpg

exponential growth in intelligence. DMAA is the closest thing to it in terms of practicality without the dangers or toxicity.

Pull the other one, it has bells on it...

Limitless is a work of fiction and should be interpreted as such. Are the dream sharing drugs from Inception possible?

i kind of think this is sort of the purpose behind nootropics.
if they could design a compound or a substance which made you process information and intelligence, at a speed which surpasses even the most intelligent people Just as a normal ordinary person that'd be a hell of a drug.
Here take this is "gives you aspergers for everything"
I can't say the concept hasn't been looked into. I am sure of it. I just have to imagine that all possible side effects of increasing that kind of information input and output probably results in paranoia and hallucinations.
You bodies coping mechanism to things it doesn't understand immediately.