View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The movie 'Limitless': Is it possible?

Thizz Man

Bluelighter
Do you think it'd be possible to create a drug that's similar to the one in Limitless?

there are already myriad types of speed ;)

Just kidding, haven't seen the movie yet, but my first instinct is to say no, probably not. But at some point in the future various nootropics may well be common place.

Ultimately don't really think this is PD material, but i'll leave it open for the time being considering i have yet to see the film

No because our brains don't work like that. It does look like a very interesting movie though.

The very premise is false... our entire brains get used, the "you only use 10%" line is urban legend BS... maybe only 10% at a time... like you are only using 10% of the rooms in your house at any given moment, but that doesnt mean the other 90% are unused, and it would not do you alot of good to be in all of them at once even if you could be... so the basic premise is assinine, obviously from some numbskull who is just "imagining" what it might be like to be smart. Naturally, he gets it wrong... duh of course he is an idiot... so the story is pointless worthless and stupid.

On top of that I read half way through they sort of morph it into an action thriller. Like hollywood types do to everything else, to try and trick us out of our money, and because they have ZERO original ideas, this bunch of morons just try to redo one thing over and over... screw them.

Like Craig Ferguson said the other night, the really smart people are like brain surgeons and computer designers.... all the really stupid people end up in Hollywood simply because they are too dumb to do anything else, haha.

Last edited:
The very premise is false... our entire brains get used, the "you only use 10%" line is urban legend BS... maybe only 10% at a time... like you are only using 10% of the rooms in your house at any given moment, but that doesnt mean the other 90% are unused, and it would not do you alot of good to be in all of them at once even if you could be... so the basic premise is assinine, obviously from some numbskull who is just "imagining" what it might be like to be smart. Naturally, he gets it wrong... duh of course he is an idiot... so the story is pointless worthless and stupid.

On top of that I read half way through they sort of morph it into an action thriller. Like hollywood types do to everything else, to try and trick us out of our money, and because they have ZERO original ideas, this bunch of morons just try to redo one thing over and over... screw them.

Like Craig Ferguson said the other night, the really smart people are like brain surgeons and computer designers.... all the really stupid people end up in Hollywood simply because they are too dumb to do anything else, haha.

lol to me it was a great movie. I saw the movie a couple days after doing molly for the first time and the effects of molly to me were about as close to Limitless as I could get, people around me viewed me as sociable and intelligent. LSD was like thinking in overdrive with various intersecting thoughts in a completely unorganized fashion.

Thanks for the answer though, when I was young I was interested in making a great drug so the movie was kind of interesting to me

I saw the movie as well and I thought it was great.

Sadly I don't think it's possible.. but we can hope - right?

Would anyone care to explain this so that those of use who haven't seen the movie can understand?

havent seen it yet, but the basic premise appears to be that a writer whos plain bad at it, starts taking wonderdrug, suddenly becomes intellectual superman, very famous and wealthy, and then bang, it all comes crashing down due to unforseen consequences of said wonderdrug.

So it's some sort of moralistic fable "cautionary tale" with the lesson "Like, hey man, drugs are bayud, M'Kay?"

Saying "Better not try any sort of improvement over the lot we are granted... OR ELSE, muahaha." Sounds strained & hackneyed. Like a "Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde" retread.

No thanks.

^^^^^ so wrong (sorry i beg to differ DwayneHoover)

The movie was actually preety decent (i'd rate it up there with ''shutter island and ''Inception'')

its no way near a ''cautionary tale'' rather the opposite actully!!! lke superted66ireland6 he does take a wonder drug and become interlectual superman, gets rich and his world comes crashing down, but the way he hustles his way outr ofit to get back upto the top higher than he was b4 was quite intriguing.

I think most people browsing PD would enjoy this moviev

Would try explain the movie, but do a really shit job (soz) try wiki or best go watch it :)

Would anyone care to explain this so that those of use who haven't seen the movie can understand?

Guy in the movie says: "You know how they say you can only use 20% of your brain at a time? Well this lets you use all 100% of it.

I think the closest we got is amphetamines TBH.

^^^^^ so wrong (sorry i beg to differ DwayneHoover)

The movie was actually preety decent (i'd rate it up there with ''shutter island and ''Inception'')

its no way near a ''cautionary tale'' rather the opposite actully!!! lke superted66ireland6 he does take a wonder drug and become interlectual superman, gets rich and his world comes crashing down, but the way he hustles his way outr ofit to get back upto the top higher than he was b4 was quite intriguing.

I think most people browsing PD would enjoy this moviev

Would try explain the movie, but do a really shit job (soz) try wiki or best go watch it :)

Well that's great to hear then, I stand corrected. "It all comes crashing down" just sounded too typically anti-drug, I didn't want to go see it and end up pissed off.

It surprises me that you think that tbirdee. What about LSD? If it were not a myth about the 10 or 20% use of our brains I think that classic psychedelics unlock way more than stimulants. On stimulants I feel as if it gets sped up, not really increased qualitatively.

Actually maybe a modest dose of DOX plus piracetam would come closest but that would be pushing it. On DOB, I felt like a fucking supercomputer. Not that it was fun but it's the closest thing I can come up with.

Maybe we need to define what would be a quality output first. There are many modes of consciousness, and many which we can boost. But some increase attention span, enhance linear thinking, some allow better parallel thinking (piracetam does this for me). So what is needed for good scientific insight, or philosophical insight, or very simple analysis but at a high rate, or a complex thing like creativity...

Creativity for me depends on semi-random association, or even hyperassociation. So I think you will need both a psychedelic to boost it for the more non-sensical thought patterns to think of new things whether they make actual sense or not. And speeding up the total process, efficiency or attention while doing that would also help. But overdo it and you get hyperfocus which can turn into ADD-like symptoms and it falls apart.

Last edited:
Well that's great to hear then, I stand corrected. "It all comes crashing down" just sounded too typically anti-drug, I didn't want to go see it and end up pissed off.

Yeah i do get you, but just give it a chance, watch it and if you dont enjoy then fair ''each to there own'' but it is a good psychological thriller

It surprises me that you think that tbirdee. What about LSD? If it were not a myth about the 10 or 20% use of our brains I think that classic psychedelics unlock way more than stimulants. On stimulants I feel as if it gets sped up, not really increased qualitatively.

Actually maybe a modest dose of DOX plus piracetam would come closest but that would be pushing it. On DOB, I felt like a fucking supercomputer. Not that it was fun but it's the closest thing I can come up with.

Maybe we need to define what would be a quality output first. There are many modes of consciousness, and many which we can boost. But some increase attention span, enhance linear thinking, some allow better parallel thinking (piracetam does this for me). So what is needed for good scientific insight, or philosophical insight, or very simple analysis but at a high rate, or a complex thing like creativity...

Creativity for me depends on semi-random association, or even hyperassociation. So I think you will need both a psychedelic to boost it for the more non-sensical thought patterns to think of new things whether they make actual sense or not. And speeding up the total process, efficiency or attention while doing that would also help. But overdo it and you get hyperfocus which can turn into ADD-like symptoms and it falls apart.

I guess the reason I said that is 'cause it really seems more stimulant like then psychedelic, although I will admit I hardly remember the movie cause I was extremely tired and stoned. I think I'll watch it tonight again.

Also you could be right about the DOx

The very premise is false... our entire brains get used, the "you only use 10%" line is urban legend BS... maybe only 10% at a time...

I haven't seen the film, but it looks like this is the point. You have hidden in your mind forgotten knowledge and memories, untapped talents, undiscovered revelations ect. The "you only use 10%" statement may be a fallacy but that doesn't automaticly render the entire story stupid and worthless, it's a fantasty.

I'm not really interested in seeing the film either way :\

LSD doesn't organize your thoughts well at all, well at least not in my experience. I was thinking rapidly with all types of intersecting thoughts. I think psilocybin and MDMA were the closest I got to well streaming organized thought

If nothing else put me off that just did. Shutter Island and Inception were gobsmackingly shite. Very pretty shite to look at granted but even pretty things don't excuse shite films from being shite films.

Wasn't really planning to watch this but wasn't really planning to watch those other two either so sure I will at some point. They surely can't be any worse ;):D