• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The movie 'Limitless': Is it possible?

No, I don't think it's possible.

And 99% of what you hear about "smart drugs" or "nootropics" has no validity whatsoever and is just bigpharma making a fortune from your stupidity and gullibility.

it is absolutely not possible and contrary to every known principle of pharmacology. the idea is like something a retarded 8 year old might concoct (or, equivalently, a Hollywood writer)

it is absolutely not possible and contrary to every known principle of pharmacology. the idea is like something a retarded 8 year old might concoct (or, equivalently, a Hollywood writer)

You do know it was concocted by an Irish science fiction writer for a book and not a screenplay? Science fiction has been known to come up with things that are not possible, but since there exist cognition enhancing drugs even though they cannot do even 1% of NZT it is not categorically impossible so to speak.
Anyway of course it is contrary to pharmacology to have one compound do all that, producing such strong global and pervasive effects... if we ever want to achieve something like that I would guess implants are a better avenue. :)

Not that you are really wrong though: Hollywood writers come up with wild and scientifically inaccurate ideas like that all the time. better wish for some suspension of disbelief :p

What is S-18,986 was the closest thing to NZT-49 currently? Permanent cognitive enhancement. Neuroprotection. Supernootropic. Brain growing. It seems very interesting. %)
200px-S-18986_structure.png

Fluorenol seems like a cheaper, stronger, cooler and far less addictive version of modafinil.
20tmsch.png

Last edited:
the theoretical phyicisict, Kaku, just wrote a book on this sort of topic, its called mind…something

S-18,986 seems expensive. It's around $180 for 10mg(2 x 5mg) and around $700 for 50mg(2 x 25mg). The dose range is like 10mg to 15mg. WHAAAAATTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like the pricing for real NZT. The one in the movie was $800 a pop. The 2C-x series were far cheaper and is NZT-like at sun-psychedelic doses(though it may take up to a year for significant increases of intelligence as it follows an exponential curve which seem subtle at first. In short, it works better when you're already smart.). I recently read about WIN-55,212-2. It was described as anti-anxiety with possible cognitive enhancing effects. There's also thiopropamine. Eating daffodils, periwinkle flowers, and kanna friut also increases cognition. Somewhere online, there was something about how although moderate to severe activation of 5-HT2a receptors causes hallucinations, mild to semi-moderate activation of the 5-HT2a receptors led to increased cognition during the course of it's effects and also the brain grew more neurons and there were benefits that carried on even long after the sub-psychedelic dose of some psychedelics were taken.
Side note: There's also something called Portulaca oleracea (common name: purslane) that increases cognition via Omega 3's and vitamins and high nutrient value.
Also, Mucuna pruriens (common name: Velvet bean) that is a natural source of L-Dopa.

Last edited:
Never saw the movie, and I guess I'm kind naive for always believing the "10% of your brain is all you use" crap.

That being said, isn't it STILL true that most people don't use their brains to even close to their maximum capacity?

I mean, I think it's true that psychedelics can unlock regions of the brain and of course if you believe in the merit of dream psychology you can see how your unconscious can hide a great deal from you that could be relevant.

Also, and I might get flamed for this, but I actually believe in pre-cognition due to people I know actually having had prophetic dreams and there is also the very famous proven account of a close friend of Franz Ferdidand (spelling?) predicting his death and the outbreak of WW1 in a dream.

So, it may be false that we "only use 10% of our brains" but I think it's probably true that we don't use anything close to max capabilities of our brains and might, in fact, be able to do some fairly supernatural things if we could tap into more of it.

Also, I thought that it WAS proven that people like Einstein and Steven Hawkings use a higher percentage of their brain capacity than we do??

I find it pretty hard to believe that every one of us is using our brains to their fullest capabilities at all times and that we are not capable of using our brains for a whole lot more due to untapped potential.

Piracetam + Amphetamine :D

If you've experienced it you know what I mean probably :p

[For those that haven't: You know where in the film they show the guy processing so many different trains of thought at once, it's like that, you can have 3 different convos irl face to face going simultaneously and still be doing other shit like writing a song or a story. It's a really weird feeling I've never had even slightly from Piracetam or Amphetamine alone but got very strongly when I combined the two]

Meditation :D I can't begin to describe the amount of wisdom I receive that has already been there when I let everything go :) It's very similar to tripping where you come to a realization but deep down you actually already knew it. I'm convinced that humans are capable of profound insight and intelligence without needing to look for it externally. Knowledge is good, but knowledge get's confused with actually REALIZING or GRASPING things for real. That is why there is no substitute for experience. http://www.iflscience.com/brain/how-meditation-affects-brain

We have to make sure it's the safer NZT-49, and not the highly dangerous NZT-48. This Benzothiophenylcyclohexylpiperidine seems just as dodgy as NZT-48, if not deadly. The safer NZT-49 would probably be a combination low dose of 2C-D, a low dose of 2C-I, and phenylpiracetam and/or dimethylamylamine. Such a stack might require to be superstacked with a little 2-methyl-2-butanol. I'm just sad and upset that Rob Portman banned the 2C-x series. Stupid Rob Portman! Rob Portman sucks. SUCKS!

There's always N-IsopropylAmphetamine. It's weaker and longer lasting from what I read. There's also AS-19. There's 2-Aminotetralin and there's S-17,092. AS-19 seems like a promising start. Stupid government banning DMAA(one of the closest thing to real nzt). The banning of DMAA (dimethylamylamine) was stupid. There's NRX-1074, NSI-189, GLYX-13, Fluorenol, and S-18,986. I wonder if 2C-I-2EtO would exist in the future. It would be an interesting nootropic.

Last edited:
S-18,986 seems expensive. It's around $180 for 10mg(2 x 5mg) and around $700 for 50mg(2 x 25mg). The dose range is like 10mg to 15mg. WHAAAAATTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like the pricing for real NZT. The one in the movie was $800 a pop. The 2C-x series were far cheaper and is NZT-like at sun-psychedelic doses(though it may take up to a year for significant increases of intelligence as it follows an exponential curve which seem subtle at first. In short, it works better when you're already smart.). I recently read about WIN-55,212-2. It was described as anti-anxiety with possible cognitive enhancing effects. There's also thiopropamine. Eating daffodils, periwinkle flowers, and kanna friut also increases cognition. Somewhere online, there was something about how although moderate to severe activation of 5-HT2a receptors causes hallucinations, mild to semi-moderate activation of the 5-HT2a receptors led to increased cognition during the course of it's effects and also the brain grew more neurons and there were benefits that carried on even long after the sub-psychedelic dose of some psychedelics were taken.
Side note: There's also something called Portulaca oleracea (common name: purslane) that increases cognition via Omega 3's and vitamins and high nutrient value.
Also, Mucuna pruriens (common name: Velvet bean) that is a natural source of L-Dopa.

The fact that a compound is expensive (to make perhaps? :) ) does not make it especially worthwhile to ingest just like overpricing a wine does not suddenly make it very good like it may seem to some.

I don't know if there are synthesis issues (it is polycyclic but not so complex that it makes my head spin), or that prices are just not adapted to a consumer market (yet).

So, I guess this is the nootropic speculation thread now...

P.S. Eating daffodils may not exactly make you look like you are running state of the art cognition. =D

Mxe makes me feel massive time dilation, thoughts about my day, week, month, short and long term plans, financial matters and memories can all whiz through at lightning pace and in no time, literally my whole mental activity can be laid out in 15 mins, than I realize that it happened during the time of a tv add break.
Isn't mxe just the best...lol.

Its potency as an AMPAkine doesn't seem to be too much greater compared to IDRA-21. As for the BDNF effects, I'd simply use Semax for that purpose. This compound is not worth looking into, IMO. IDRA-21 is ridiculously cheap now, and even Semax is relatively affordable if you know where to look. Given that IDRA-21 displayed little to no cognitive-enhancing effects (only cognitive restoration in my experience,) I'd put my money on a combination of C16 and Semax. Be careful, though. The former can be very tricky to dose properly.

Aside from this, a low dose of Methylene Blue, tDCS, TMS, Selank, Cerebrolysin, and NSI-189 seem to be the best non-psychedelic nootropics at the moment. Also, I can attest to Jesusgreen's recommendation of Piracetam and amphetamine. Although I haven't had the chance to start multiple conversations simultaneously, I did manage to consistently solve relatively complex trig problems in 10 seconds flat. A powerful combo, indeed.

I never saw the movie but it reminded me a lot of meth just going off the trailer. except meth doesnt really make you smarter at all its just makes you kind of weird. idk id like to think I do a good job at hiding when im fucked up but the people I work with could just be polite and / or not give a fuck.

I never saw the movie but it reminded me a lot of meth just going off the trailer. except meth doesnt really make you smarter at all its just makes you kind of weird. idk id like to think I do a good job at hiding when im fucked up but the people I work with could just be polite and / or not give a fuck.

Supposedly the film was partially based off of the effects of 4-MAR. Now this is only based on the rumours I've heard, but it does sound plausible to me, given the shocking similarities between NZT-49 and 4-MAR. Meth, of course, replaced 4-MAR on the streets as soon as it became a controlled substance. It's no coincidence that you'd see such similarities between the two, although meth is missing that MDMA-like visual brightening of 4-MAR. Perhaps adding 4-MAR in addition to the two substances I've mentioned above would be the closest rendition of NZT-49 yet - of course, like all stacks including stimulants, this is not sustainable by any means. I'm willing to bet on the efficacy of this combination without even having tried it, although C16's dosing being so difficult to sort out, I'd wait until more conclusive tests are done before attempting something of this sort. Not to mention the heart valve problems caused by continuous use of 4-MAR. Like NZT-49, these three are *not* for use in the long run. Perhaps some other substance could be used in tandem to prevent the pulmonary hypertension from methylaminorex - assuming that's possible, we may just have the greatest nootropic stack in existence. Of course, a low dose of LSD or 2-CD in there could certainly spice things up a bit. This is all purely theoretical, so please, don't go out testing my crazy theories. ;)

Last edited:
I doubt it was based on a real drug, I know that you're forbidden to portray drugs in a positive light in films so presumably that was why they had to show that the drug killed you. It would've been interesting if the drug had been purely positive but that's not allowed.