• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Big & Dandy DiPT Thread

Ason Unique said:
What's listening to music like on DiPT? Annoying, or painful to hear?

Yeah, I found it incredibly interesting from a music standpoint (figuring out how all the different pitches changes, etc), but the baselines sound way off from the rest of the music. For me, it was like the bass was in tune with it's self, but in a different key than the vocals. The middle range instruments were in tune with themselves, but in a different key than everything else and so on.

This kind of thing is very interesting to me, but for the most part sounds bad. I had some music enhancement, but it sounded worse than usual, so it all equaled out. I also noticed at higher doses high pitches almost split into higher and lower overtones that echo of the surroundings. Very weird effects.

So, interesting, yes. Musically inspiring, no. Definitely worth trying at least once though.

Invert, great post... that describes DipT very well. I've tried it at 50mg twice and briefly reached "phase 4". I found it most amazing to be outdoors and listen to the world... sound was perceived inamazing ways and you can tell how highly directional it is. Cars driving on a nearby road made high-pitched wire-tension sounds but their lower-pitched normal sound was blocked... when stepping around a corner the sound stopped entirely, and when stepping back out I could feel, almost see it slam back into me. I also seemed to be able to hear something unbelievably massive from unbelievably far away making communication sounds... I interpreted it as faraway stars or planets.

I found music interesting to listen to for a few minutes, but then it got too chaotic... it's definitely not pleasurable to listen to music, just interesting. Going outside and being in "silence" is much better.

Anyone else noticed the inner ear movement on DiPT? It feels like something physically closes or moves and blocks out a certain range of sound we normally hear... complete with the heavy tinnitus (ear ringing), it really kind of feels like it makes me deaf to the usual range of sounds but because those sounds are gone I can hear much more clearly other ranges of sound... overtones maybe that are normally blocked. It feels like I'm deaf to some sounds but like I can hear the rest unbelievably clearly.

Man, that reminds me of my experiences. I'll have to use DiPT again soon, especially now that I live in the mountains. The mountains are crazy to listen to without hearing modulation. :)

TRULY one of the most haunting experiences of my life was listening to daniel johnston and joanna newsome on DiPT and having them sound normal for the first time, listening to walking the cow by daniel johnston brought tears to my eyes.

Xorkoth said:
Invert, great post... that describes DipT very well. I've tried it at 50mg twice and briefly reached "phase 4". I found it most amazing to be outdoors and listen to the world... sound was perceived inamazing ways and you can tell how highly directional it is. Cars driving on a nearby road made high-pitched wire-tension sounds but their lower-pitched normal sound was blocked... when stepping around a corner the sound stopped entirely, and when stepping back out I could feel, almost see it slam back into me. I also seemed to be able to hear something unbelievably massive from unbelievably far away making communication sounds... I interpreted it as faraway stars or planets.

I found music interesting to listen to for a few minutes, but then it got too chaotic... it's definitely not pleasurable to listen to music, just interesting. Going outside and being in "silence" is much better.

Anyone else noticed the inner ear movement on DiPT? It feels like something physically closes or moves and blocks out a certain range of sound we normally hear... complete with the heavy tinnitus (ear ringing), it really kind of feels like it makes me deaf to the usual range of sounds but because those sounds are gone I can hear much more clearly other ranges of sound... overtones maybe that are normally blocked. It feels like I'm deaf to some sounds but like I can hear the rest unbelievably clearly.

Man, that reminds me of my experiences. I'll have to use DiPT again soon, especially now that I live in the mountains. The mountains are crazy to listen to without hearing modulation. :)
Thanks, yes, I should take DiPT outdoors (both in nature and in city, I imagine), and I'll certainly do that at some point. Your experiences of it sound quite fascinating. But I do still adore its effects on music pre-Phase 4 (especially when I'm making the music myself, on the piano) to such an extent that I'd be reluctant to be too far from my piano and stereo on most DiPT trips.

I'm not sure about inner ear movement, but I was aware sometimes of dampening of parts of the spectrum (other than the early low-pass) that are normally quite acute. But I've not really examined that experience very carefully.

hamhurricane said:
TRULY one of the most haunting experiences of my life was listening to daniel johnston and joanna newsome on DiPT and having them sound normal for the first time, listening to walking the cow by daniel johnston brought tears to my eyes.
LOL, one of my more haunting DiPT-related experiences was hearing Tony Blair (then PM of Britain) sounding sincere (ETA: This was during the Phase 1 low-pass filtering - otherwise he'd probably have sounded more like a robot alien overlord with a malfunctioning translator :)). Something about the deeper timbre just made him sound so much more pleasant and trustworthy. 8o =D But yes, some music does suit the DiPT transform, in my view...

To take a simple example: a single piano note at Phase 2 or 3 can be an exquisite bell-like sound of rich complexity. A slight appoggiatura develops in later Phases. This pretty, ornamented tone can, if given the time and frequency-space to do its thing, form part of a lovely and strange and DiPTich piece of music (that might well sound crap when not on DiPT). Some normal music - by chance - approximates the sort of music that one might write on DiPT. Much of it (perhaps because of excessive tempo, or certain types of harmony, timbre, or sound quality) doesn't.

Last edited:
Here is my experience report on Erowid about DiPT, the experience I mentioned in my post. In case you'd like to read about it further. I of course went into far more detail in mky report.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=47042

:)

In fact I'm about to re-read it... I haven't reviewed that experience in quite a while.

Xorkoth said:
Here is my experience report on Erowid about DiPT, the experience I mentioned in my post. In case you'd like to read about it further. I of course went into far more detail in mky report.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=47042

:)

In fact I'm about to re-read it... I haven't reviewed that experience in quite a while.
Ah yes, I read that report before I first took DiPT. I've read it again now, and it's a great read, very interesting. I'd forgot about the sounds slowing down thing (except for the appoggiatura on the piano, which I'd forgotten was related to this). Could I check we mean the same thing by this? Do you mean that each unit of sound (say a syllable of speech or a note or chord in music) sounds as though it's in the process of slowing down (reducing in pitch as well) but without that slowing down passing on to the next unit, so that it always sounds in the process of slowing without ever actually doing it?

I've noticed this in speech and in piano (essentially a descending appoggiatura of about 1 or 2 semitones, iirc, in the latter case). I can't recall which phase of overall frequency-shift it accompanied.

One guess I have of what's happening here is that differences in the frequency spectrum between the attack and sustain phases of a tone, combined with a degree of nonlinearity in the frequency shift across different parts of the spectrum, is producing a frequency shift within each note (and a frequency shift may not be easily distinguishable from a slowing down, since the latter would produce the former, and - on the level of a single note or syllable - tempo would be hard to assess). Does that seem at all possible?

ETA: This guess could easily be tested, I think: If it's right, we should find no such effect with pure sine tones.

Last edited:
invert said:
Ah yes, I read that report before I first took DiPT. I've read it again now, and it's a great read, very interesting. I'd forgot about the sounds slowing down thing (except for the appoggiatura on the piano, which I'd forgotten was related to this). Could I check we mean the same thing by this? Do you mean that each unit of sound (say a syllable of speech or a note or chord in music) sounds as though it's in the process of slowing down (reducing in pitch as well) but without that slowing down passing on to the next unit, so that it always sounds in the process of slowing without ever actually doing it?

I've noticed this in speech and in piano (essentially a descending appoggiatura of about 1 or 2 semitones, iirc, in the latter case). I can't recall which phase of overall frequency-shift it accompanied.

One guess I have of what's happening here is that differences in the frequency spectrum between the attack and sustain phases of a tone, combined with a degree of nonlinearity in the frequency shift across different parts of the spectrum, is producing a frequency shift within each note (and a frequency shift may not be easily distinguishable from a slowing down, since the latter would produce the former, and - on the level of a single note or syllable - tempo would be hard to assess). Does that seem at all possible?

ETA: This guess could easily be tested, I think: If it's right, we should find no such effect with pure sine tones.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. :) Your theory sounds perfectly plausible. It makes sense.

Has anyone combined anything successfully with DiPT? I definitely hear that DPT goes perfectly with it. Anything else?

can somebody tell me what 25mg of DiPT would be like IM? Would it be barely noticeable/threshold? I'm thinking about walking out this weekend to a frog pond and tripping on DiPT.

Well I know 30mg orally was well above threshold for me, reaching invert's level two. I'd imagine IM would be at least equivalent to that, and probably more intense.

great!

some reason I think frogs ribbiting and croaking + DiPT will be interesting.

Xorkoth said:
Has anyone combined anything successfully with DiPT? I definitely hear that DPT goes perfectly with it. Anything else?
Don't know if you missed my edit to an earlier post where I mention DiPT+2C-E... they synergized nicely for quite a while (playing the piano was a gloriously strange experience: the piano keys looked and felt as weird as they sounded), but the duration of the peak effects of 18 mg oral 2C-E outlived the peak effects of 70 mg oral DiPT and thus overwhelmed them at later points in the trip, such that the DiPT effects were on their own, and not of much interest.

ETA: Damn, this talk of frogs ribbitting reminds me that I really must take DiPT in nature some time. :) Most of my opportunities to trip are at night, which makes it more tricky.

Last edited:
i have combined DiPT with DPT, and the synergy was indeed magnificent. probably the most visual thing i have ever experience open-eye, outside of a DMT flash. EVERYTHING was rapidly growing and shrinking and a black hole of rainbow lattice work opened up in the sky and began to pull me off the ground.<3

in essence DiPT is the reason i love psychedelics, its THE gateway into absurdity.

invert said:
ETA: Damn, this talk of frogs ribbitting reminds me that I really must take DiPT in nature some time. :) Most of my opportunities to trip are at night, which makes it more tricky.
night would be the time to take DiPT I am sure! :)

Actually I haven't tied DiPT at night but I feel like daytime would definitely be preferrable. Seems like a daytime drug for me. Then again, day and night have a whole different collection of sounds so both would undoubtedly be worthwhile as long as time was spent outdoors. :)

yes, I remember once sitting by a frog pond on a low dose of DPT. The frogs were very forceful with me in disinhabiting my ego shell and emerging to become part of them.

People ribbit if they let themselves <3

once i did DiPT during the day and once at night, as might be expected the day was glorious and majestic, and the night was mysterious and eerie, well both were both those things but you get the idea...

Xorkoth said:
70 mg made me feel like being contused. Tinnitus was next to painful and persisted 14 hours until I went to sleep, long after most of all the other effects were gone, and disappeared completely only the next morning. Ear inflammation feels almost identical. It is absent at lower doses, like 30 mg, where other auditory effects are already noticeable.

DiPT experiments...

I've made a new version of the testing program, with the sound sorted out now (it had crackles in the previous version): http://diptology.pbwiki.com/f/DiPTtest0_1.zip

This is a program designed to test people's pitch perception, and attempt to train them, to see if their pitch perception can be improved. It will take about 5 minutes (or more, depending on how you do), but you'd be welcome to quit the program when you get bored, and send me the incomplete data. :)

This program is not to be run while under the influence of DiPT... It is just a pilot study to see if people can do the task okay normally: I need to know whether they can before I distribute the first proper DiPT experiment. So you don't need to be a DiPT-user to help out with this: you just need to have vaguely normal hearing and a desire to help further our understanding of this remarkable psychedelic, and/or of the parts of our auditory system that it affects.

You also don't need to have perfect pitch. I don't have perfect pitch, but I can do the task (not perfectly, but well enough). It might help to have some experience of playing music, but it may not be necessary. Anyone with normal hearing can attempt this task.

If anyone's willing to help with this, please download the zip file, extract it, then run the program within it, then send the output file to diptology (at) safe-mail.net (or PM me its contents). (Out of interest, let me know when you send the output - if you don't mind - what sort of experience of music you have, e.g. listening, playing, studying, etc.)

Please let me know if there are any problems in running this program, or any bugs. In anticipation, many thanks.

(The results of this pilot study, and of future experiments, will be documented at diptology.pbwiki.com.)

Last edited:
id like to hear reports from people who have tried smoking DiPT.

Iv heard that it takes away from the annoying audio effects and brings out the more psychedelic nature of the chemical.

id like to hear reports from people who have tried smoking DiPT.

Iv heard that it takes away from the annoying audio effects and brings out the more psychedelic nature of the chemical.
I'd say if you dislike audio effects, DiPT is not the right substance for you. :)

the one time I took DiPT, i applied it nasally. it worked exactly as it should work orally, as far as I can tell from reports.