• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Big & Dandy DiPT Thread

the auditory effects took pretty long to appear, something between one and two hours. it seems like the nasal application did not speed the onset up, as i had hoped. that's also why i consumed the total amount in several small portions over half an hour.

i didn't experience any effects which i would describe as empathogen or entactogen, but on the other hand i have no experience with MDMA or similar drugs. but maybe also my antidepressant killed a possible MDMA-like effect?

Last edited:
The antidepressant undoubtedly changed the experience for you in some way, anyway. Hard to say how, though.

For me, the progression of DiPT's effects went something like this:

T+0:20 - Theshold effects begin, some body and stomach weirdness.

T+0:40 - Sounds begin to drop slightly in pitch

T+1:00 - Body begins to level out and feel quite good, sounds all of a sudden become almost unrecognizable. One moment the pitch was just lower, and the next I felt like I was on an alien planet.

T+1:30 - The mental effects begin

T+2:15 - Mental effects peak. This has become extremely psychedelic

Then it tapered off starting at about 4.5 hours. mental effects were gone at 5-6 hours, but sound did not fully return until somewhere around 20 hours, in fact the next afternoon.

Wow, it's been a while. I need to try my 75mg outdoor dose of this soon!

Xorkoth said:
And also, make sure to take it outside. Listening to music gets old quick, but its real magic lies in going outside and listening to the world hum, and beings trying to communicate through sound from some vast distance, sort of like massive outer space whales. At least that's the impression I got. Also of note is that the mental effects I got were vastly enhanced once I went outside.

Ditto. DiPT was so amazing. It is so easy to overlook those more subtle properties in the wrong setting. I took DiPT outdoors and had a +4 experience complete with entity contact, Amazing substance...among my favorite tryptamines...even after only one try. Stocked up bigtime with this one. I think it is even more amazing than DPT. DPT was mystical, but much harder to bare. DiPT was gentle but every bit as profound. Man, I bet both together would be amazing. Oh wow, Iwill have to do that one day. I'd probably take both orally even though I usually IM DPT. Or smoke DPT base at the peak. No, both orally. 75mg of each. That would be so intense.

Hmm, this shit scared the crap out of me tonight. I sampled 75mg for the first time- too alien. I was absoutely terrified; bad set and setting etc. but what is going on here?? I 'expected' pitch fluctuations, but not genuine 'robotification' of peoples voices and certainly not the extreme distortion of ambient noises. Interesting was when I freaked out a bit and went to the bathroom; the reverberation of pretty much nothing was loud as all hell, but seemed to only shift by a pitch.

I didn't feel much of a body sensation, slightly DMT-like bending and twisting sensations with eyes closed; no real visuas, except a general haze of 'difference' to the landscape, and some migraine-y like blobs. I now have a killah headache and ringing in my ears, and fuck it if it isn't D7....

This stuff is weirded then I could have imagined. I am very unsure whether I will try it again, though I think I might smoke a little bit, fwiw. I just can't see any point in going for it again.

Fuck. I'm reeling here; that was too normal and weird if that makes sense. I am about to consume some LSD so I hope that the ringing stops....;)

These are all very high doses, I think.

All my experiences with this substances were profound and I don't remember ever going above 25mg rectally.

Not sure if I mentioned this in this thread, but I found its synergy with DPT to be matched only by the synergy between Heroin and Cocaine in a speedball.

Definitely one of my favourite drugs, and the best one with "DiPT" in its name for sure.

^Hmm, I'd guaged 75mg to be a decent; not too high dose. I believe orally it goes up to 250mg in TiHKAL.... rectal of course will be stronger.

I don't know, it was lamost like I am too sober to ignore the DiPT weirdness or accept it at least. Damn ear ringing.....

Apparently at higher doses the sound distortion becomes annoying and the psychedelic effects don't really increase. This could be the reason...?

And for some reason, the audio effects last faaaar longer than the drug itself. Does anyone think this may suggest that these effects are due to a more peripheral action of DiPT?

yeah, jamshyd, thats what I've always though. I would love to see a study looking at DiPT and the inner ear. I wonder if its something going on there. Too lazy right now to grab my neurosci book but there is something about pitch being scaled (sort of like the analogue to retinotopy in V1) by mechanical means.

^If the inner ear was directly involved, wouldn't balance also be effected? I felt a bit dizzy etc. but feel fine now; except my hearing is still wonky.

I dunno; i think it more effects nearual processing; as if a few hZ are shaved off or addded to each sound in a non-harmonoius way. I believe I will sample a lower dose again; I do sound engineering and by gods if I didn't have the worlds greatest FX Unit in my ehad last night! I also think there is 'delay' added to sounds; I noticed that sharp silibant sound, like T or Ssss had a very very loud pre-delay sound to it. I might do some recordings today to see if I can emulate what I mean by that and post them up here.

The auditory and vestibular system are ultimately separate mechanisms, so it would depend at what level of the 'inner ear' you're talking about.

^That said, I find that most tryptamines, 5-Meo-DMT escpecially gives me major "motion sickness" if I move around too much; likeweise but to a lesser extent with DMT. So it would appear that the inner-ear is being effected there, I guess what you'd call the vestibular system- vertigo or the contrast of visual uptake and visual input- whereas DiPT can do that, but seems to focus on audio phenomen. That probably made no sense, kinda speculating aloud.

Well they are two questions: a) whether both the vestibular and auditory system are affected by psychedelics (and I think most would say yes they are according to something close to your personal experience) and b) whether the mechanism of action that creates the auditory downshifts and hallucinations in DiPT also affects the vestibular system (and I think most are out to lunch when you ask them that question, since the right research has just not been done yet).

Jamshyd, if your dosages are rectal...then they don't really relate to oral dosing. With oral levels, psychedelic effects don't really begin for most until 50-75mg.

swilow, set and setting man!! Try again outdoors in a peaceful setting...this one blessed me with a +4. I can too see how it would be terrifying in the wrong area. I also know what you mean by alien...but I don't think its anymore so than DPT or DMT.

swilow, set and setting man!!

I know, I know....twas a bad timing, I was planning on taking my share home; kinda wasn't kosher at that stage, so I just downed it with a beer. I actually found that the sounds of nature frighened/alarmed me the most; I really found it quite difficult to 'place' myself in an environment. I think because I've been playing/making music for so long I may have sensitised my hearing somewhat....

But if I get a chance to consume again, it will be a lower dose, 40-50mg, and I think having eyes shut the whole time and sitting on a grassy knoll in the bush listening to birds alien tweeting. But I think EYES SHUT could be essential; I have a feeling that more visual aspects will become noticeable if I restrict my brain from external sources and allow the pitch effects to maybe create some synaethesia. One thing to any who consume this in the future; if you have a didjeridoo or recordsing of one, play/check them out. That was by far the best 'sound' of the experience.

Personally, I will specualte that the pitch shifting is perceptual; maybe a more circituous route is taken by audio signals resulting in an increase or decrease in the cycles (sample rate) of the sound source. Most pitch shifters, which can drop pitch and retain the correct timing information do so by removing portions of the audio, or to raise pitch the fundamental frequency remains intact and the harmonics are shifted upwards. I didn't feel that DiPT effects much beyond the region where humans hearing is at its finest; 1-4khZ; the vocal range. That said, we get so much information from the region, distoring it changes everything really.

I wonder what it would be like to consume in an anechoic chamber; a room for testing specilaist audio and other equipment that has no reflection or reverberation; the effect of entering such a room almost makes one fall to the floor; very hard to orient oneself. Interestingly, carbamazepine lowers pitch by one semi-tone; recent article in New Scientist in regards to that. I am going to write in mentioning the effect of DiPT- I already wrote to Dr Oliver Sacks, but I didn't get a reply. ;)

I can completely imagine where you are coming from. My time with DiPT, I was outside, in compete darkness, and next to a stream. So hearing played little-to-no role in my DiPT peak experience. I was not listening to music, and there was little sound (except for that of nature.)

As soon as I got home, I felt mostly down until I turned on the stereo and listened to Grace Slick (who sounded like a man), and I was amazed/freaked out/in shock at how foreign the very familiar recording sounded. And this was after the peak. The shock!!!!

I could see how that would be unnerving.

DiPT should be consumed in total darkness and silence as far as I am concerned. The audio distortions are just a distraction/amusing side effect. Once you are in a circumstance where the senses are not tickled, I think the psychedelic side of DiPT will shine.

swilow said:
I know, I know....twas a bad timing, I was planning on taking my share home; kinda wasn't kosher at that stage, so I just downed it with a beer. I actually found that the sounds of nature frighened/alarmed me the most; I really found it quite difficult to 'place' myself in an environment. I think because I've been playing/making music for so long I may have sensitised my hearing somewhat....

But if I get a chance to consume again, it will be a lower dose, 40-50mg, and I think having eyes shut the whole time and sitting on a grassy knoll in the bush listening to birds alien tweeting. But I think EYES SHUT could be essential; I have a feeling that more visual aspects will become noticeable if I restrict my brain from external sources and allow the pitch effects to maybe create some synaethesia. One thing to any who consume this in the future; if you have a didjeridoo or recordsing of one, play/check them out. That was by far the best 'sound' of the experience.

Personally, I will specualte that the pitch shifting is perceptual; maybe a more circituous route is taken by audio signals resulting in an increase or decrease in the cycles (sample rate) of the sound source. Most pitch shifters, which can drop pitch and retain the correct timing information do so by removing portions of the audio, or to raise pitch the fundamental frequency remains intact and the harmonics are shifted upwards. I didn't feel that DiPT effects much beyond the region where humans hearing is at its finest; 1-4khZ; the vocal range. That said, we get so much information from the region, distoring it changes everything really.

I wonder what it would be like to consume in an anechoic chamber; a room for testing specilaist audio and other equipment that has no reflection or reverberation; the effect of entering such a room almost makes one fall to the floor; very hard to orient oneself. Interestingly, carbamazepine lowers pitch by one semi-tone; recent article in New Scientist in regards to that. I am going to write in mentioning the effect of DiPT- I already wrote to Dr Oliver Sacks, but I didn't get a reply. ;)

I've taken DiPT on about 12 occasions, with doses ranging from 60 mg to 100 mg oral. This is a retrospective summary mainly of the auditory effects as I experienced them.

I'll outline here the auditory effects, in the order in which they arrived. This order of events was the same across all my experiences with DiPT. All that varied for me, with dose and stomach contents, are the speed of the trajectory and how far down the list I get before plateauing.

(ETA: I'm not implying these are distinct stages; rather the experience passes smoothly between the 'stages', with part-semitone shifts noticeable if one attends carefully. But this gives an idea of when the other effects happen relative to the pitch-shift...)

1. One semitone lowering in perceived pitch, and low-pass filtering (the low-pass filtering makes voices in particular seem considerably lower than the actual pitch shifting would imply).

2. Two semitone lowering in perceived pitch, and partial inharmonicity (spectrum stretching) makes piano bell-like and voices robot-like, and consonant chords weirdly dissonant. (Alternatively, this could equally be ring modulation.)

3. Three semitone lowering in perceived pitch and inharmonicity is complete: with the whole spectrum stretched, normally consonant chords are now weirdly consonant.

4a. In nonsilence: nonlinear distortion of pitch and timbre, very hard to pin down the nature of the effects;

4b. In silence: closed-ear audials, such as high-pitched ringing, lower-pitched 80s synth chord sequences, and general squelching and blooping.

60 mg peaked at Phase 2, 70 mg at Phase 3, and 100 mg at Phase 4. Intervening doses between 70 and 100 mg touched on Phase 4 more or less briefly.

Phase 2 was generally accompanied by some coming-up jitters (?motor psychedelia?), but a fairly pleasant bodyfeel generally persisted throughout the experiences, including during the jitters.

Phase 4 was always (when reached) accompanied by a leap in cognitive psychedelic effects. An intense awareness of sensory-motor feedback in any movement I made (if I moved my arm slightly, it caused a movement in my shirt, which in turn vibrated molecules which vibrated bits of my ear which triggered signals in the auditory cortex) haunted many of these phases for me. There was always, as one might expect I guess, given my mainly auditorily motivated interest in DiPT - a strongly auditory flavour to my lines of thought on DiPT.

At the highest doses, Phase 4 was also accompanied by mild visual effects, mostly brightness and flashing white light, and general shiftiness and movement.

Phase 4 rarely allowed me to listen to music for long. With such a distorted and enhanced auditory scene, silence seems golden. And then ceases to be silence at all, but hey! :D

I hope soonish to investigate various aspects of DiPT's effects on my auditory perception in a series of psychophysical tests on myself: the above is all based on my subjective impressions, my qualia... these tests will provide more rigorous assessment of my perceptions. In the first stage of this, I hope to model quantitatively the pitch shifts at a range of doses and at various points in the frequency spectrum. But I also hope to model the timbral effects (which may be mediated by inharmonic spectrum stretching or some kind of ring modulation, or something else entirely), by examining perceived consonance and dissonance of various combinations of tones. I'll post results here when I have them.

ETA: Oh, I should add, for this retrospective summary, that I tried DiPT 70 mg oral in combination with 2C-E 18 mg oral once. I'll have to repeat this or similar to have a clearer idea of it, but I believe the two substances fused quite interestingly, for a while, with the 2C-E seeming to bring out visual elements of DiPT (or perhaps DiPT bringing out tryptaminesque elements of 2C-E: either way, I was experiencing visual effects that felt tryptamine in origin or influence). Due to differences in duration of peak effects, I guess, 2C-E came to dominate after a while.

Last edited:
Ason Unique said:
What's listening to music like on DiPT? Annoying, or painful to hear?
I find that, before everything gets really chaotic (at peak of 85 mg+ say), some music is wonderful on DiPT: beyond that, the only good music is no music. (Oh, and the no-music is pretty damn good. ;)) There is typical psychedelic music-enhancement for me, as well as the distortion. And some things do actually sound great when DiPT-shifted. But I think it would be very hard to predict, on the basis of what music you like now, what music you'd enjoy listening to while on DiPT. A familiar piece of music may become unlistenable, or may be transformed into a barely-recognizable but brilliant remix of itself. :) I've not yet worked out what factors influence how well a piece of music translates into DiPT-space.

ETA: To compare that to visual effects: What's looking at paintings like on LSD? Sometimes wonderful, sometimes very offputting. Depends, in fairly complex ways probably, on the painting and on your tastes. :)

At high peaks, music does become too difficult for me to listen to. Like staring into a load of bright light sources while tripping on a more visual psychedelic, perhaps.

Last edited: