• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals The Big & Dandy Datura Thread

^^ It's not so cut and dry like that. I've read a few datura reports that were positive, spiritual transformations. You have to be a rare kind of person to have that kind of experience with it, i'm sure. But you have to be open to those experiences too.

Sure, if you're an ethnobotanist, know enough about the plant and have access to an analytical chemistry lab to verify the amount of alkaloids you would be dosing.

I took a very small dose of datura, and whilst it wasn't horrible, it's not anything I would ever recommend to anyone.

Yeah, these posts supported my opinion that datura is really not worth the risk. Ill try and let my bf forget about it, he hadnt heard about it until I told him about it.

quick note: By the way, for people who didnt like diphenhydramine, it isn't that bad if you use a small dose (250) while already on dxm (they potinate each other so, not a reg dose). dxm helped counter act the body load so you just got strange hallucinations while tripping on dxm (not to mention a lot more confused). Diph on its own just doesn't feel good, tried it a week later after dosing on dxm...felt like being hit by a car lol, I felt too much like crap to care about the hallucinations.

I'm glad for your input though on datura. I wanna trip quietly anonymously and safely in my apartment with my bf and not have to worry about doing something stupid that I'm going to regret. :)

Datura contains scopolamine, which is popular in colombia (and involved in about 20% of the hospitalizations in Colombia. I'll just let you think about that for a second). Scopolamine is a very dangerous substance, with Vice.com (http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/worlds-scariest-drug/ , I actually suggest you watch this, it's pretty interesting) calling it the world's scariest drug.

Diphenhydramine is the chemical found in over the counter antihistamines, US brand name Benadryl. It's not so fantastic feeling either. Nausea, etc.

Just smoke some weed or even try to meditate or something. Sounds like you're just being bored and want to get high off something. Even DXM would be a better choice (though DXM isn't precisely safe either) if you're just looking for an over-the-counter high. Datura isn't really feasible to obtain, at least for me, but if you're hell bent on trying it I'd suggest be somewhere safe with someone you trust.

It's not about the legal factor or not, it's more about I just like trying things new especially if it can make me completely escape reality.

You mentioned dxm, I do dxm a lot. Honestly, and I know a lot of people really hate dxm and I honestly think its only because its legal so they think its stupid? I've done dxm probably upwards of about 500+ times over the last 5 years. You say its unsafe, but its only really unsafe if you're taking other medications (which I'm not) or ingesting other actives.

I'd stick with dxm if I didn't just get so bored and curious all the time. Getting high for me isn't just altering myself to enjoy tv and company better, I prefer it if I get up can't walk, CEVs, euphoria usually is a major plus hah though I did actually enjoy diph (when on dxm) cause it was fun passing the time looking at these flying spiders then I'd bat at them and they're turn to smoke only to re appear. Then a hand crawled up my wall and a random cat was running around in my closet kinda funny.

That's why I don't really like weed too much. I smoke it, feel kinda weird and usually spend half the day passed out or eating. I did like eating it though, like half the plate of brownies and I couldn't walk lol.

I did morning glory, that was really cool, on that though it was also really easy to just chill and watch the cool shit happening.

My bf won't let me try acid or shrooms or any of that or he's be pissed (the things I really wanna try) he said he had too many bad trips on em and something in lsd can kill you? But then I mention datura and he suddenly wants to try it...I think he might only wanna try it because he's done like every common drug and that one he had never heard of. Personally I'd rather do acid or shrooms or something more common.

So today, I'm on dxm+nitrous never tried the combo but I'm curious. Ok so if datura is bad news..is there anything anyone could recommend that my bf might approve of? Maybe something in the psychedelic class but not a delieriant and not to hard to find?

You guys do realize you don't have to take so much that you become delirious, right? I use low doses of datura quite frequently during the summer months, when we have a whole bunch growing around here (I generally harvest from this one unused lot).

morphling said:
Sure, if you're an ethnobotanist, know enough about the plant and have access to an analytical chemistry lab to verify the amount of alkaloids you would be dosing.

Or make a big batch of tea/run some other extraction, then carefully titrate your dose upward. It's not difficult.

space kitten said:
My bf won't let me try acid or shrooms or any of that or he's be pissed (the things I really wanna try) he said he had too many bad trips on em and something in lsd can kill you? But then I mention datura and he suddenly wants to try it.

You might wanna provide him with some factual reading material...if he must use an anticholinergic to deliriousness, have him use DPH or somesuch, as it is much more manageable. If cyclizine is available where you live, it's supposedly one of the more pleasant options.

We both did DPH and we were fine, no freak outs it was just amusing. I did read to him the stuff where its toxic and numerous trip disasters on erowid, he was just like "holy shit now I really wanna try it" ...he doesn't have as much to loose, he used to be heavy into drugs until he got landed with legal problems because of it so he is a lot of into taking risks and jumping into random substances. I read up in everything, I make sure there can't be anything that really could go seriously wrong except maybe a panic attack that I can sleep off. Also, with him not letting me try acid or shrooms (he thinks it be too much for me)...I can handle salvia (besides the first time) lsa I was fine on...only thing I ever really freaked out on was that fake weed (I hate the stuff!) feels like I'm dying and I used to have panic attacks on it because I could feel my heart beating. But that's different. On diph I was fine with the spiders and cats and things crawling on walls, on lsa I thought it was cool when I looked at my had and I saw it morph and bugs crawl out, I just poked at em. I don't think I would freak out on psychedelics as long as I knew from the beginning it was a safe dose I couldn't die from and I remembered I was tripping.

What scares me about datura is many people report forgetting they're tripping and then freaking out and hurting themself or others.

@never
- on small doses can you remember your tripping and not leave where you live doin stupid stuff? That's all I'm worried about, legal troubles from blacking out, leaving my apartment and doing something stupid that could cost me my job or worse.

^You won't be 'tripping' on small doses. As for the blacking out, that goes hand in hand with delirium, but it should hold by the rule that the more you take, the worse it's going to be.

You guys do realize you don't have to take so much that you become delirious, right? I use low doses of datura quite frequently during the summer months, when we have a whole bunch growing around here (I generally harvest from this one unused lot).

It's the titration that's at issue, as I'm sure you're quite aware, just stating it to put it out there for anybody seriously considering trying to take datura 'responsibly'. The alkaloid content can vary not only between plants but also amongst the various parts of a single plant, even varying between different individual leaves on a single branch. Extraction of alkaloids might make dose estimation a bit easier, but you still don't know the makeup of the extract as far as percentage composition of each alkaloid, and the key word there is I think 'estimation'. Dose estimation is a bad thing with the most benign compounds, and datura definitely does not qualify as benign. If there was an easier way to determine dosage I can see it potentially being possible to use recreationally, but as it stands now I just don't see the potential 'reward' being worth the risk.

He wont let you do LSD or Shrooms but will let you do Datura? Some logic that is. LSD and Shrooms = 98% a good time Datura probably closer to 0-5%, Also Datura is much much much more dangerous then LSD or Shrooms.

you either need to ditch this moron or flex your rights so to speak... by not trying LSD or mushrooms you are missing out on a truly transformative and beauitifully life-changing (possibly spiritual) experiance that other drugs like DXM, diphenhydramine, simply cannot provide.

LSA is just as strong of a psychedelic as mushrooms - I do not see the difference.

Perhaps try some mescaline cacti (its also legal)

He just worries about me trying anything too hard because he had a major past with addiction and doesn't want me going down that way which is I understandable. He's told me he personally hates hallucinagens and had some very bad trips including thinking everyone was daemons and trying to attack them. I'm not sure why he wants to try datura suddenly and I can only guess its because he's never tried it and he's done everything else he's heard of. I had an oportunity to do shrooms revently but he got mad and left me where I was at. At the time i had only done salvia once and freaked out and he told me if i couldnt handle salvia there was no way i could handle shrooms. Sense then Ive done salvia like 5 times, LSA once and diphenhydramine while on dxm a few times. I havent even freaked out once sense then. I know shrooms grow around here and tried to get him to find some with me but he said he just really didnt feel like doing that. Idk. It's stupid but ill deal ?

Lsa is just as strong as shrooms? I don't even know how you could freak out on it. Maybe its him and he's just bad with psychedelics...I was fine on lsa and it was only amusing no fear. He freaked out once but I kinda started it, I didn't know how hard he was tripping and I got mad at him for something and it pushed him into a bad trip..he started freaking out and he didnt even know why but calmed down after like 5 minutes and I put cartoons on. He is so much more experienced than me though with drugs but I think I'm more drawn to the psychedelics than hell ever be. I think ill push some more for some mushroom hunting again. I'd so much rather do that anyways.

At the time i had only done salvia once and freaked out and he told me if i couldnt handle salvia there was no way i could handle shrooms

This is baloney (as you know), few people like salvia. It seems that psychedelics are wrong for him, which is fine, but until the knowledge gap is closed I see much tension remaining. Get the man on erowid or something, you could have group study nights. Maybe have him explore some TRs and see which match up with his experience, so you guys can read and discuss them. Read some datura ones together as well.

to get him to find some with me but he said he just really didnt feel like doing that

I'm not sure you should do that, the dude's really opposed to them, so you shouldn't try to go get him to help you source any psychedelics. You probably shouldn't use them around him either, out of respect, and he needs to respect your desire to explore them. It's not like you're placing yourself at risk of a severe soul-stealing addiction. Of course this isn't SLR, but it makes me sad that this stuff is making things rocky for you guys.

It's not making it rocky at all..it's just ill say I wanna do something hardcore and hell come home with vicoden haha..admittedly in his drug days he would take the max dose of everything, wouldn't read up on it and had some bad trips. He'd tell me about how he freaked out on pcp and thought everyone were demons and that if he went off on shrooms or acid it would be too hard to come down you'd be spitting up bugs and things crawling out of your skin bleeding everywhere.

We aren't tense about it really, I got him on dxm (he never tried it because it was legal and didnt think it would work) he loves how you can't ever have a bad trip on it and prefers sticking to that. I do like vicoden (not all the time) and he convinced me to try salvia. We both usually find ways to get high on my days off work. He didnt want to do lsa originally, was like man im good Ive had too many bad trips on shit...but when we did it and we both had a good trip (except his 5 min freak out) he now wants to do it again. I think he was just in a bad environment, didn't research stuff enough, and took too much. I wish he'd try other psychedelics with me but low enough doses and educated enough on them to know how to have a safe fun trip.

I really don't know why he wants to now try datura. Possibly because dxm was a legal high he enjoyed that he wouldn't have tried if it weren't for me. Or that he just never heard of it.

Man I went off on him about mentioning datura again tonight. I was like "why the hell you wanna try datura so much but we can't go picking shrooms something most people enjoy. Instead you wanna try something that 90% wouldn't repeat, end up in jail or hospitalized" He just laughed and said he was just weird.

I know he wants to do lsa again so I'm thinking if we can do that a few more times and have some good trips maybe it will spark his interest in something different. Actually I read a few positive trip reports with lsa then 2 hours later dose on dxm.

If I really wanted to do it he's allow it. He's experimented too much in his life to realistically tell me no to things without being a hypocrite hah.

You guys do realize you don't have to take so much that you become delirious, right?

Exactly.

Like a lot of things which have a bad reputation, I think many of the bad experiences people report are due to the fact that they simply take far too much.

Also, if someone was really intent on trying datura, I'd recommend smoking a small amount. Ingesting the plant material (including the seeds) is risky in the extreme. Smoking a small amount is somewhat safer, and easier to 'test the waters' because of the faster onset and the fact that if you have a small amount of dried leaf or flower you can smoke a TINY bit and see how that goes, and then smoke a bit more OF THE SAME MATERIAL later (preferably on a different day).

Datura metel (with absolutely stunning purple flowers) has proven to be an interesting smoking material in the past for me. It mixes well with cannabis.

Anyway, if someone really wants to try it, the first rule is START SMALL.

My bf won't let me try acid or shrooms or any of that or he's be pissed (the things I really wanna try) he said he had too many bad trips on em and something in lsd can kill you?
If he loses his shit on lsd and shrooms then datura is definitely not for him. Datura is in my opinion not for any one, but especially those who have a bad past experience on psychedelics it is asking for trouble. Like someone said earlier the chances of a good experience is less than half, particularly if you have no prior guidance on dosage. Losing your shit and thinking it won't end is unpleasant on led. On datura you are not even aware that you are on drugs. The bizarre becomes real and you will wake up from a black out with very little memory of your nightmare. Not really an experience for anyone other than the sane ones who have been trying to bring you back to reality for the past 5 hours. If you can't remember you trip is it really worth it?

What are the effects in this dosage range? I'd guess mild sedation, maybe increased imagination?

I'd be curious to see, if they could find a way to measure it out, how things would go on a low dose. I found a few videos of people enjoying themselves on datura and it didnt end bad...in the same video of one where one guy was having fun someone else was also curled up in the same room crying lol

halif said:
I'd recommend smoking a small amount.

I've yet to have success with this route, but I was using a tobacco pipe before, I'm gonna try it with a glass bowl sometime.

immad said:
What are the effects in this dosage range? I'd guess mild sedation, maybe increased imagination?

Pretty much, if you take more then you get dry mouth (more annoying than you'd think), blurred vision, mild ataxia, hyperthermia, insomnia, random bits of euphoria but overall it makes you emotionally neutral. I've never taken it past that point. Lately I've taken to just eating dried leaf since I got sick of the taste of the tea last summer (when I was dosing more in the blurred vision range).