• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos The Benzodiazepine MEGA THREAD - Direct Benzo Questions Here

Im about to start tapering a 10mg/day diazepam dependence of 2 years. I would like to take a very long time to taper so i dont miss work or feel like shit. I know that 10mg a day isnt a lot at all but this is my first time detoxing from benzos and hopefully the last. I normally take 10mg at once everyday, should i separate to morning and night for an even distribution of diaz? Should i ask my doc for 2mg tabs so its easier to taper? I am familiar with the Ashton manual and will be referring to it, but right now im looking for some good advice from people that have experienced it.

^ You're in good shape, 10mg is not a lot, but still warrants a taper. Use the Ashton Manual and remember: slow and steady wins the race! Good luck :)

I am supposed to take 2mgs of xanax 3 times a day. I say supposed to cause I've been on them for 3 1/2 yrs and sometimes I am still anxious 20 mins after taking one. Have I grown a tolerance? I take them on an empty stomach or with decaf coffee with milk in it usually. doc says he can't give me more. And I know all too well what the Dts' are like!!! Not to mention pure panic attacks with my heart about to beat out of my chest and my mind racing til I think I'm going crazy! I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Bad experiences with antidepressants, too........ still went from slim to quite everweight! Can anyone give me some good advice? I deal with this everyday.

I am supposed to take 2mgs of xanax 3 times a day. I say supposed to cause I've been on them for 3 1/2 yrs and sometimes I am still anxious 20 mins after taking one. Have I grown a tolerance? I take them on an empty stomach or with decaf coffee with milk in it usually. doc says he can't give me more. And I know all too well what the Dts' are like!!! Not to mention pure panic attacks with my heart about to beat out of my chest and my mind racing til I think I'm going crazy! I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Bad experiences with antidepressants, too........ still went from slim to quite everweight! Can anyone give me some good advice? I deal with this everyday.

You been taking it for THREE YEARS!!! Of course you have a tolerance! You should talk to your doctor about that you def are taking xanax for way too long he should prescribe you one of the slower acting anxiety pills (takes days sometimes weeks to take effect, but its a more permanent solution than xanax) and slowly cut down your xanax dosage down by only taking them when you really need it.

And for the threadstarter, you are taking "by the book" and crushing them up huh. 8( Denial isnt cool.

I've tried to go off before...... but once I get it in my head to cut down I do the opposite - I take more. Withdrawals are horrible. I live alone and noone comes around. So I am very much alone in this and that prolly makes it worse. Noone to talk to.

Hi Marlena,

You aren't alone and you have us to talk to :)

You probably should have started a new thread for this subject, (or posted in a recent thread about getting off benzos) since your topic isn't the same topic as the original post which about how to defeat time-release Xanax and was from 2004.

Yes you have definitely grown a tolerance. For many people benzos don't even work after taking them every day for years, and you get re-bound anxiety and serious withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking them. Benzos are really not suited for taking them constantly. I would highly suggest you talk to your doctor about this and see if they can switch you to a different drug or consider having them help you taper off. It's very hard to get off it by yourself. There are a few people on here who are experts on benzos and there are quite a number of threads on the topic of tapering already.

Here are a few:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/621210-Benzo-experts-needed-for-unique-taper-schedule?
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/544308-Xanax-taper-Please-help?
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/602750-Xanax-Taper-help?

You can also check out the tips on getting off benzos in general, since they will apply for Xanax.
Here's one dealing more with the emotional support side of things:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/630013-scared-to-start-benzo-taper?highlight=benzo+taper

As for anti-depressants, different antidepressants are different. Talk to your doctor about the ones you have tried in the past and the side effects you experienced and they can suggest one with fewer side effects that doesn't generally cause weight gain.

I would also highly recommend you try some other methods to cope with your anxiety and depression aside from just taking pills, which are never a complete solution. Go to therapy, read self-help books, take up yoga, etc.

I've tried to go off before...... but once I get it in my head to cut down I do the opposite - I take more. Withdrawals are horrible. I live alone and noone comes around. So I am very much alone in this and that prolly makes it worse. Noone to talk to.

You have to be strong, just keep saying to yourself "Im not a pu55y, im not weak I dont need Xanax I'm cutting back because I want to. End of Story". Something along the lines of that. Whenever I take a break from D I always repeat that in my head I even say it out loud when the cravings start kicking in and it works.

Self motivation is all you need, you don't need anyone else. But you do have a community to talk to. And it does actually help to talk to others. PM me your phone # ill be glad to help you through it and can offer you more advice on the phone if you would like. Or if you live in the NYC/Jersey area i'd be glad to help you through it, hanging out and talking with my wife and myself will def. get your mind off things.

But like I said, self motivation is the only thing necessary, everything else is optional.

:sus:

Great Thread and info ... Props

Now I have been on xanex w/ my pain meds for years , at one point I was on 2mg 3 x daily , then the docs were limited to 2x daily , my new pm doc doesn't like at all and I'm
Actually kind of glad because running out early or w/Ds from both are hell, now my doc has me down to 1-1 1/2 mg a day from 4 Mgs jus 3 months ago , so it's been tough to adapt especially w/ the decreasing of my pain meds , last time I had to see assitance from SWIM to get by , thank god my friend had some pencils he gave me to put away for when in xtra need ... My question is this? My doc has suggested switching over to Ativan , and I even think he said he would prescribe soma again once I'm
Off xanes , unless he Ment Benzo completely , anyway point is this it seems I may have help from
Swim whn needed and am tired of the xanex anyway , how does Ativan compare in euphoria, anxiety and panic control, and physical addiction or w/Ds when not on them, I understand half life is even shorter than xanex which is why I thought xanex is so addicting, so why is Ativan commonly used after whening off xanex And what's safer about it , considering acting doc just to change it when u see him this week so the other ? Is ... How many Mgs of Ativan equal 2mgs of xanex strength wise what would be equal dose?

Also if there is a chart or cross tolerance equivalentcy chart between different Benzos like there is for opiods , someone please post or provide link ... Thank you

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/566261-Benzodiazepine-Conversion-Chart There ya go :) I've been addicted to Xanax before,around 6-10mg a day,so I know where you're coming from.

Ativan seems like an odd choice to switch you over to.Before I ever tried Xanax,I had Ativan,and needed 3mg just to help me calm mild anxiety and help me sleep.YMMV but IMO Ativan is nowhere near as powerful as Xanax.

Tapering down Xanax doses is really tough.Could you ask your doctor to switch you to Valium for tapering? That's how I tapered and it was much more comfortable,given Valium's long half life.

Last edited:
I haven't had any type of benzo in quite a while, but i just don't feel comfortable without a small dose. A bad thing? Or just a humanly imbalance?

I feel like i have super bad anxiety, but up here i can't find anything for benzo's and if i do; its expensive.

I just passed the three year mark clean from benzos and I am still suffering from withdrawal symptoms. Thankfully, I am much much better than I was in the first couple of years, which were absolute hell on earth.

Currently on 30mg of clonzepam (yes, 30 of kpins) and still having anxiety attack...what to do?

I haven't had any type of benzo in quite a while, but i just don't feel comfortable without a small dose. A bad thing? Or just a humanly imbalance?

I feel like i have super bad anxiety, but up here i can't find anything for benzo's and if i do; its expensive.

Sounds like a humanly thing to me.I have panic disorder with agoraphobia,and going without a small dose of benzos a day simply isn't an option for me right now.

Currently on 30mg of clonzepam (yes, 30 of kpins) and still having anxiety attack...what to do?

Are you on an anti-depressant as well? If not,I think you really need to add one that will synergise with the kpins.I've tried and failed to get by on Xanax alone (although it was a much lower dose than your clonazepam).

Temazepam (restoril)

i was curious if anyone else who is prescribed temazepam gets them in a capsule form with the powder on the inside or in a pill form? which works faster? im just curious because my xanex does not seem to have much of an effect on me and they do not last long at all.

If you're in the USA, you get a capsule with powder on the inside.

In other parts of the world they formulate temazepam as tablets, capsules, gel-caps, etc.

They are all instant release and work about the same. Some people prefer tablets or gels, I personally would appreciate a tablet form of temazepam to be marketed in the USA so that you could more easily divide doses. I get the 30mg capsules with powder which is inconvenient if you want to take less than that.

are the capsules with the powder inside instant release as well or are they time released due to the plastic capsule holding the powder inside?