• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos The Benzodiazepine MEGA THREAD - Direct Benzo Questions Here

so i have a tolerance related question..
i've been taking benzos on and off for about 4 years now, never been dependent
the first (and lowest dose i've ever taken) was 4 mgs of xanax
now, throughout the years my tolerance has raised to about 12 mgs of xanax to catch a buzz without a blackout, or 20+ mg clonaz and 160+ mg diazepam just to get a buzz

now, even if i go 2-6 months between dosing (when i dose i dose 3/4 days a week untill i run out and stop my binge) my tolerance seems to have never dropped

from what i've read on here even 4 mgs is a decent tolerance.. do you think my tolerance is so fucked considering that's the lowest dose that's ever entered my body causing it to obviously become rapidly more tolerance to the benzos?
will i ever be able to enjoy 4 mgs of xanax or a smaller dose of clonaz/diazepam again and be able to even get relief and maybe be able to catch any sort of buzz?

think taking 2-4 mgs xanax daily for like 2 weeks or so would lower my tolerance to them?
atm i'm on 28 mgs of xanax and not even high and i've been smoking purp at work functioning fine making sales, i don't undertand my retarded benzo tolerance and i'm not going to black this out..
any input????

Has anyone else had a sort of antidepressant effect from taking benzos regularly? I started taking suboxone about 2 months ago and have been quite lethargic (that's stating it mildly) ever since. I've understood that sometimes that happens and eventually recedes. I have taken 30mg temazepam at night for a very long time. I recently started taking ativan or a lil temaz during the day because I have such horrible anxiety since starting the sub. And I am aware of the risk of developing an addiction to benzos. I DO NOT need this. However, not only is my anxiety lessening, my depression seems to be less as well. I am hoping this is a natural thing. I don't want it to be from the benzos! Can benzos have antidepressant action? Thanx,CS

Opinions on Librium guys?

I just got prescribed Librium 25mg/ QID (Four times per day) for a Crash opiate taper. Tapering off Hydromorphone.

I am find it quite weak, its very subtle. But my doc said he wanted to use this instead of diazepam?

Does anyone know the duration of effects on Librium?

^It is weak, but not to the point of being useless IMO. I'd just dose low and try to appreciate the subtle nature of the drug. Taking too much is bound to be unpleasant, there's not much in terms of strong, pleasant sedation to be had.

The half-life is medium to long, with a very long-lasting metabolite similar to diazepam. Many docors prefer using chlordiazepoxide because of this, combined with the fact that it is less abusable than diazepam.

Last edited:
^1mg? Typo, or are you exceptionally sensitive? (I'm really curious)

It wasn't a typo, I have spoken to him b4 about that dose since I was on it too. I actually went to drop down to .5mg valium, and alternated days between the .5 and 1mg, but ended up staying on 1mg during the last stressful month of school. I took a total of 2mg this week so far since Monday, so I am hoping to be off of it by next week.

I've been taking 4mg of Clonapin for 3 years and 90mgs of temazepam to go to sleep for the past few months. I just cut to 2 mgs of clonapin and cut 30 mgs off the amount of temazepam. I've been pretty sick the last 4 days. does anyone have any advice in how to taper off better?

Klonopin is pretty potent. Cutting that dose in half may have been too much too soon. I would probably raise it back up by .5 until you feel comfortable. When you taper, it may be easier to drop it by .5 every other day, and then try every 3 days.

Ex: Go back up to 3 mg, then take 2.5 MWF, and then M-T-Sun until you can drop another .5. I think that would be dropping .5 every 2 weeks roughly. Take some diphenhydramine (bendryl) to help with rest.

You may want to post that in this thread.

think taking 2-4 mgs xanax daily for like 2 weeks or so would lower my tolerance to them?
atm i'm on 28 mgs of xanax and not even high and i've been smoking purp at work functioning fine making sales, i don't undertand my retarded benzo tolerance and i'm not going to black this out..
any input????

Benzo tolerance is a bitch to get down, hell most drug tolerances are hard to get down. Even when you get it down, after 2 or 3 uses it is right back where it was. I found it very difficult to lower xanax tolerance. I would give it a long rest, benzo withdrawal is not worth it.

Has anyone else had a sort of antidepressant effect from taking benzos regularly? I started taking suboxone about 2 months ago and have been quite lethargic (that's stating it mildly) ever since. I've understood that sometimes that happens and eventually recedes. I have taken 30mg temazepam at night for a very long time. I recently started taking ativan or a lil temaz during the day because I have such horrible anxiety since starting the sub. And I am aware of the risk of developing an addiction to benzos. I DO NOT need this. However, not only is my anxiety lessening, my depression seems to be less as well. I am hoping this is a natural thing. I don't want it to be from the benzos! Can benzos have antidepressant action? Thanx,CS

I found the two to be related. If I was less anxious, I was less depressed. This was because I was depressed about being anxious, so taking away the anxiety meant no need to be depressed.

Last edited:
Having tapered down from 60+ mgs diazepam or equivalent to 20, I planned to drop to 17.5 this weekend (all I've taken today) - but yesterday and last weekend had two bad, binge days: yesterday's being 7mgs of Etizolam + 22.5 diaz. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether it's safe to go back down to 17.5? I've had pretty severe rebound anxiety today, but Etizolam's short-acting, so I'm hoping I'm through the worst of it.

And yes, I do drink as well: but after a 7.5mg morning dose of diazepam, 2 beers, 10mg evening dose, 3 more beers + 100 mgs diphenhydramine am no longer crawling the walls. Guess I'll have to see if sleep occurs, and can probably look forward to waking in a pool of sweat....

^ I think that you should be fine dropping the dose. It is still a low-moderate therapeutic dose, so I doubt that you are at risk for any severe withdrawal symptoms.

My advice? Cut the drinking out. That is the main factor that allowed me to pretty take the last step off of diazepam. I took a total of 2mgs this week, and may not take it again. When I was drinking, I always had to take a dose pretty early in the day, whereas days in which I had not drank the night before, I was able to go well into the day before taking the dose.

I stopped taking my Prozac for a while because I was afraid it would affect the drugs I am taking now, one being Ativan. I'm also concerned about the Oxycodone I'm taking. If I go back on the Prozac, could it makes the effects of the Ativan and Oxycodone stronger? Or, will it make no difference at all? The reason I ask is so I will know if I need to adjust my doses accordingly.

^There won't be interaction in itself, but as a general rule of thumb it is better to be on less of these medications. Long term benzo use is of course not recommended, and all of these drugs have discontinuation symptoms.

^the man knows what he's on about.

did your doctor not give you any advice or information about possible interaction as well as possible withdrawal symptoms when ceasing use? if not i'd be a little concerned because of the opiate and benzo combination, not to downplay the prozac.

It wasn't a typo, I have spoken to him b4 about that dose since I was on it too. I actually went to drop down to .5mg valium, and alternated days between the .5 and 1mg, but ended up staying on 1mg during the last stressful month of school. I took a total of 2mg this week so far since Monday, so I am hoping to be off of it by next week.

that has to be a typo cause valium doesnt ever come in .5mg doses... the smallest dose (pill size at least, u can cut them) is 2mg

you have to be thinking of another pill. you're really eating quarter valiums?

^the man knows what he's on about.

did your doctor not give you any advice or information about possible interaction as well as possible withdrawal symptoms when ceasing use? if not i'd be a little concerned because of the opiate and benzo combination, not to downplay the prozac.

My doctor trusts me when it comes to my benzo usage. I stopped taking it for a while because I didn't want to be on it all the time, despite the fact that I have a lot of stress due to pain.

Right now, while I'm taking the Oxycodone, I'm not taking the Ativan very much. Around 0.5-1mg a day, sometimes not at all. I'm relying more on cannabis. She knows I am not irresponsible, and I never take more of my meds than I'm supposed to. A lot of times, I don't even get all my refills, and I lose them.

I have been off and on Lortab for years, and never had a problem when I stopped. Ever since I got over my Methadone addiction, I am more careful. Sometimes I'll even sit and endure more pain than I should because I don't want to take too much pain medicine. Again, choosing to rely on cannabis for pain relief instead of pills, if I can.

Thanks for the replies about the Prozac.

I have been off and on Lortab for years, and never had a problem when I stopped. Ever since I got over my Methadone addiction, I am more careful. Sometimes I'll even sit and endure more pain than I should because I don't want to take too much pain medicine. Again, choosing to rely on cannabis for pain relief instead of pills, if I can.

Thanks for the replies about the Prozac.

something ive been dealing with myself is a methadone addiction ,what was the route you took to get off of methadone, i really want to avoid all of the medication trials ... ive really needed someone to ask this question, since you were in the same boat i am now in...

good luck on this battle. i am on cannabis myself and is one of the greatest pain managers ive used, but the opiate addiction is and was my cruch for pain for sometime now. i feel as if sitting through the pain makes that clock go very slow so i really give you props for what you've accomplished so far.

i was curious if phenazepam would be a good route to taper off of methadone. if the long half-life of phenazepam combined with a dosing down of methadone would make the journey a little more smother. i just dont want to end up in a trance, as ive heard from many .

i am very safe when it comes to dosing (i believe my raddical years are behind me) and i am very serious about my ending of methadone. im on 60 mg of methadone and have been for 2 weeks (total of 1 month, 30 mg starting dose) and dont like the affects of this opiod and have heard the PAWS are very dreadfull. waste of time?

something ive been dealing with myself is a methadone addiction ,what was the route you took to get off of methadone, i really want to avoid all of the medication trials ... ive really needed someone to ask this question, since you were in the same boat i am now in...

I did something no one should EVER do, and I will not recommend it to anyone, for their own safety. I could have easily died.

I quit cold turkey, and endured the horrific withdrawals in my own bed at home. It was pure hell, the worst thing I've ever had to endure in my life. The only help I allowed myself was an Ativan here and there, and cannabis. I was puking a lot, so mostly just cannabis.

good luck on this battle. i am on cannabis myself and is one of the greatest pain managers ive used, but the opiate addiction is and was my cruch for pain for sometime now. i feel as if sitting through the pain makes that clock go very slow so i really give you props for what you've accomplished so far.

Thank you very much. Having two broken feet doesn't help. I'm already starting to taper down my dose of Oxycodone. The pain is getting more tolerable, so I'm taking my Oxycodone dose down to one a day, and using Aleve the rest of the day. Along with cannabis, of course. I happen to have a few grams of hash right now too, and that is also excellent for pain. I also have Lidocaine patches I can use, but they don't stick well to my feet. So, I usually save those for my spine.

i was curious if phenazepam would be a good route to taper off of methadone. if the long half-life of phenazepam combined with a dosing down of methadone would make the journey a little more smother. i just dont want to end up in a trance, as ive heard from many .

Phenazepam is a benzo I don't have access to, so I don't know how it compares to the benzo strength I'm used to, such as Ativan, Valium and Xanax. I did use Ativan a little to help when I was coming off Methadone, but, again, I wouldn't recommend what I did, not even to my worst enemy.

Zolpidem its probably the only downer that I use recreationally (along with triazolam).

landmt, don't use any benzo to taper methadone. It will make the methadone and your addiction stronger even from a small dose of benzos. I understand using them once you've quit, though I recommend not even trying that as addiction can easily happen when you're covering up a symptom. This would be the only use of benzos in a methadone taper though; using them during the taper is very counterproductive.

i was droped cold turkey taking 3 mgs of klonopin a day so fuck these drs cause i failed a urine for weed they stole me benzos!!!

^Go to a different doctor and show him that you're in benzo w/d... He should definitely help.