• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos The Benzodiazepine MEGA THREAD - Direct Benzo Questions Here

Hi Captain,
I am coming off benzo's and have cut my dose to 10mg diazepam /day after being on clonazepam for 10 years bd. I am hanging out for anxiety relief most of the time. Would hydroxyzine help when it gets too much to cope? Is it available over the counter? I am taking occassional Lyrica and Epelim when things get bad at the moment but space them out and swap as I (bearing in mind half lives and elimination times) dont want to finish up just doing a swap.
Nimshie29

Hi, yes hydroxyzine will help you a little bit. Not much but better than nothing.

i'm really surprised to hear about the dosing and w/d's everyone is experiencing.

for 2+ years, i've been on clonazepam 1.5mg daily. i take one 0.25mg oral disintegrating tablet in the AM, one in the afternoon, and a 1mg tablet at night.

i never imagined this to be any kind of substantial dose, as it barely makes a dent in my anxiety. i don't think i've ever felt sedated or high when using the drug. in fact, the only time i notice ANY effect is if i take it PRN for an anxiety attack. but then again i'm dealing with pretty strong generalized anxiety and OCD. so maybe i need more than most to feel the effects? anyone else in a similar boat?

i've also never felt the w/d's that everyone is talking about. sometimes i completely stop taking it, cold turkey, for weeks - for example, when i lost my job - and don't feel any of the physical sweats, headaches, etc.

so i'd have to say that it's an eye-opener to me that i'm taking quite a fair amount of this drug and have been for a long time. and it makes me curious about whether i've been affected long-term by it.

as for recreational use, i never gave it any serious consideration since it seems to have so little effect otherwise. i have used it to come down from stims, just like i would use it to stop my brain from racing when i have before-bed anxiety. and those times, i believe i took 3-4mgs. i remember taking them, being awake, not feeling anything, and the next thing i know it's morning. total blackout. very strange to me.

i would really like to find a happy medium with these. something that will have more of an impact on my anxiety but won't black me out. i'll try a titration and see if i can find that sweet spot. anyone have suggestions as to dosage intervals? how many mg's and how long between dosing?

i'm also curious about other ROA's. my experience above was oral. i have tried sublingual on occasion and don't really notice much difference, except for a very weird localized numbing sensation under my tongue (anyone else get this??). i'm hesitant to even ask about insufflation since no one here seems to agree on whether it's worth it with kpins. but i'm wondering about plugging it? i won't IV, but me and my bum are good friends :) anyone plugged their clonazepam? don't know if its worth it since the oral BA is so high. but maybe there's a difference in time of onset and peak? let me know what you think!

love and thanks all,
pickle

yeah when chewed and after you get all the pieces down you will feel just as good well almost as good as if you chewed a regular 2mg i chewed 2 last night and was felling pretty good

i love xanax xr if i could get it instead of ir i would if you just take a couple of mg more than you would with ir pills it works the same and lasts way way longer

It is due to the different effects each specific benzo works on the brain IMO. SWIM went into seizures twice while tapering over a 3 months period of time from Klonopin (1mg twice daily) and continued tapering unsuccessfully afterwards to a .125 daily dosage and yet went into another seizure for which they were admitted first into the ER while in convulsions then while on the bed went into a seizure before the IV was properly inserted. They did not come back after 2 mg of Ativan IV it took 5 mg altogether til they awoke on the hospital bed. Then they were admitted to the hospital for several days under medical supervision and given only Ativan which helped very little with sleep or other symptoms again IMO due to the difference of chemical responses to the different benzos. The type of response has also occured to SWIM with Temazepam, Ambien and Valium while on Klonopin which seems to do nothing for them anymore but switching for the first few days showed a hugely different response. Hope this helps.

We can't tell you where to get anything besides Harm Reduction supplies. It's called sourcing and is against the rules that you didn't read.

Like HdoubleODeezy rightly said, sourcing is against the rules.

Also, you already mentioned and thus clearly know the only source you should be getting benzos from - you get medication from a doctor. Simple as that.

I avoid antihistamines during benzo wds, even hydroxyzine, lowers the seizure threshold and makes RLS worse

I'm a very occasional user, I just got .5 mg klonopin, took it about 45 minutes ago, and took half of a 7.5/500 hydrocodone tablet. That is about 1/4 my usual dose of hydrocodone, and a low dose of klonopin as well. I'm wondering how long til I can take another half hydrococodne pill if needed? I don't want to end up blacking out, but I'd like to have an enjoyable experience. My tolerance is low to non existent.

Hello,
I made a extensive reply, but this board, after a one year lapse of no posting,just stated, I did not have the authority to post in this section. Sorry, your loss, have 40 yrs experience with benzo use including GS/MS testing, and extensive history of benzo's manufactured on every continent, except Australia, I think I shall take another year off, just don't have the patience to play games. "Pickle I was a 10 yr member on a now closed other board, but, you knew me as, Ludes_Vet, 2001 to 2011, and Ridgerunner was my handle on the VIP section, if you ever paid to be in the former exclusive VIP section...................................................I also agreed with your post on this topic. :X

The fact that alprazolam, the main ingredient in Xanax, isn't water soluble isn't bullshit. The only reason you get a slightly faster effect when you snort the pill is because you crush it up, and you would get and even faster onset if you chew the pill because you wouldn't have to wait for the drip. Also Valium is Diazepam, which is still a benzo, but is a different drug than Xanax(alprazolam). All the fillers in those pill just mess up your nose, and even if you really believe that snorting these pills increases the effect, the damage it dose to your nose makes it just not worth it.

Fuck around & have a hole up ya nostril lol vitamin e swabbs help in it :D

My xanax gets doubled when pregaming with grapefruit juice. :D

Old thread, but what I used to do when I had Xanax XR was a bit of a process, as I found that simply crushing them and parachuting them doesn't work all that well. The time-release mechanism in Xanax XR tends to gel up pretty heavily, so like I said, crushing and parachuting doesn't work all that well, IME. What I did was the following:

1) Crush the Xanax XR tab and put the powder in a shot glass
2) Add a small amount of vodka (apx half the shot glass, add more if there is more powder) and stir
3) At this point, you'll notice that the Xanax XR powder will start to gel up
4) Start to crush down the bits of gel until they dissolve completely by pressing on the bits of gel with a stir-stick and "breaking them down"
5) Once everything is dissolved, top off the shot glass with some white grapefruit juice and stir some more, being sure to crush down any remaining blobs of gel until they're dissolved
6) Down the mixture

It kicks in pretty quickly, actually and does work quite nicely. I used to do this with 2 mg Xanax XR tabs.

Normally, I don't advocate mixing benzos and alcohol in the name of harm reduction. What you want to do is use the least amount of alcohol possible in order to fully dissolve the Xanax XR powder/gel. I found that this process was the only way to get full effects from the XR tabs. Basically, the alcohol is being used as a solvent, not as a potentiator.

You're taking it "by the book," huh? This doesn't sound very by the book in my opinion. Be honest with yourself about your drug use. It sounds to me like you had been previously insufflating crushed bars, which would be (by their design) significantly more effective than doing the same with the XR. If you were really desperate, you can try crushing it very thoroughly, but other than that you should really just take them orally. The BA isn't going to be that much higher, but it'll save your nose and sinuses from working to dissolve all of the binders and fillers involved. If you're really dying to insufflate some alprazolam, please just do yourself a favor and spend the money to cop IR bars on the side. You'll be able to take them as desired while also holding onto your regular script so you can take them as directed. Fucking around with your own script can get nasty with benzos, since accidentally going through the bottle can lead to bad situations after.

^+1

Great post, donoharm! You completely nailed it when it comes to telling the OP the truth about what he's doing and the risks involved.