The band everyone loves but you hate..

I have to second Velvet Underground and almost everything that Lou Reed ever made.... Pretentious trash. The man writes, plays and sings garbage but seemed to think he was an unparalleled musical genius.

Poison lol. I remember my cousin had a metal band some years ago. He played keyboards. (his brother was not in a band and had musical talent a little better) But his claim to fame back then was opening for White Snake.

When I was working gas station in Houston Molly Hatchet was staying in the hotel behind us a fueled their bus at our gas station.
One of my best friends lived next door to the guitarist for Molly Hatchet. I couldn't even tell you one of their songs but they had a good hamburger joint in Daytona.

I have to second Velvet Underground and almost everything that Lou Reed ever made.... Pretentious trash. The man writes, plays and sings garbage but seemed to think he was an unparalleled musical genius.
All right all you stunned people. Again, maybe I was too harsh. I like some of his songs but he was still a pretentious dick who thought his own talent was far greater than it truly was. I know he has a lot of adoring fans and rock critics lined up to slobber every cum driblet that trickles out of his now deceased dick but he is just alright to me if not limp during most of our musical coitus.
IMO his fans adore his music because of his lifestyle and debauched infamy.

deftones. i don’t hate them, but people shit themselves over that band and all i can find is mediocrity. maybe i should give them another deep dive listen but i enjoy them.

but i’m also someone who adamantly loves the smiths & talking heads to an unhealthy obsession so i mean, i’m sure those people would mock me for that lmao

I may be thinking of Riot/Rush in 81. But you are correct. They did start headlining in 1981. Check out that Allman Brothers Band/Rush show on 12/18/1981.
I think 'Riot' was an opening band on the Exit Stage Left tour
Rush's tour manager got hold of Allman Brothers manager because they were mostly popular in the north/midwest at the time

they pretty much tripled their fan base by exposing their music to south/southwest audiences

Brilliant

oVwTjye.jpg

AC/DC

Pearl Jam (I loved the album Ten, but I feel most of their stuff is mediocre)

I don't hate them, but I kinda have to agree on both fronts. I guess they're good at what they do, if that's your thing, but it ain't mine exactly and both bands wore that shit out 20+ years ago. Like Alice In Chains - I think humanity would benefit from a ten-year radio hiatus from all three.

Now Pharrell... fuck that dude with a glass-crusted dildo. Every time I hear Happy I want to beat infants with a tire iron, and that's not me, so fuck Pharrell lol.

Always bound to be contentious threads like this. I'm a bit surprised by some of the stuff people don't like.

First things that come to mind for me are - later Radiohead stuff, everyone raved about them from OK Computer onwards, but I hated that album apart from 1 or 2 songs, and any of their other later stuff I've had the misfortune to hear.

Also The Arctic Monkeys. WTF has happened to them? I really liked their early stuff but they seem to have lost the plot / lost their ability to write enjoyable tunes, and have gone massively pretentious and weird. What the hell was Tranquility Base Hotel meant to be? It may be music, but not as I know it. Or like it.

Maybe it's ahead of it's time or something, and if I hear it again in 10 or 20 years I might love it. But I doubt it.

Also, The Grateful Dead. I've tried several times. I feel that I should love them. But I just don't hear any tunes. They just don't click for me.

Last edited:
Coldplay, foo fighters snow patrol, Metallica, the stereophonics, blink 182 etc, the Kooks, the smiths, Ramones and nirvana (don't hate last two but just don't love them)
Wow, I love several of those bands, especially Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Nirvana's Nevermind, and The Ramones.

We can't all be the same though can we as that would be so boring.

I was late in life to kind of 'get' The Ramones, but after a few attempts and gaps of not listening, they finally just clicked for me. It's just pure and simple classic melodic poppy punk. The chord changes and melodies happen exactly how they most perfectly and instinctively should, if that makes sense. I know they're not for everyone but they are definitely the classic New York punk band imo.

Don't love Nirvana? Wow. Not even Nevermind? or the Unplugged performance?

Last edited:
All right all you stunned people. Again, maybe I was too harsh. I like some of his songs but he was still a pretentious dick who thought his own talent was far greater than it truly was. I know he has a lot of adoring fans and rock critics lined up to slobber every cum driblet that trickles out of his now deceased dick but he is just alright to me if not limp during most of our musical coitus.
IMO his fans adore his music because of his lifestyle and debauched infamy.
Yeah there's a lot of hype about the Velvet Underground. But the style and craft of their songs, and their sound is just next level, especially for their time. Some of it is pretty simple stuff, but it's just done so very very well.