• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Subutex Has Gone Generic

Several months ago I talked to my doctor about how the patent on Suboxone was running out. Well it's finally here. The only reason I want to switch is because it costs me roughly 7-9$ per a pill, depending on how many I buy at the time. I currently take Suboxone. I called my doctor's nurse about switching, and she said it was fine. She needed to find out which pharmacy I used, so I am now waiting for it to be filled. They didn't seem to mind that it didn't contain nalaxone. I'm glad they are actually intelligent. The doctor has always been nice and supportive.

So anyway, when I get these, I will post images/pricing/etc. to give everyone an idea on what is going on, unless someone does it first.
Good luck everyone.

Need Dr. who will prescribe generic... - Seattle

I saw my Sub Dr. today and he has chosen to take the stance that he won't prescribe generic subutex due to the ability to sell it on the streets for those fabulous people that shoot it up and screw it up for all of us trying to live productive lives.

[Sorry, we cant sources that. (unknown)]

ThankS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Several months ago I talked to my doctor about how the patent on Suboxone was running out. Well it's finally here. The only reason I want to switch is because it costs me roughly 7-9$ per a pill, depending on how many I buy at the time. I currently take Suboxone. I called my doctor's nurse about switching, and she said it was fine. She needed to find out which pharmacy I used, so I am now waiting for it to be filled. They didn't seem to mind that it didn't contain nalaxone. I'm glad they are actually intelligent. The doctor has always been nice and supportive.

So anyway, when I get these, I will post images/pricing/etc. to give everyone an idea on what is going on, unless someone does it first.
Good luck everyone.

Excellent man, thanks for the input.

I saw my Sub Dr. today and he has chosen to take the stance that he won't prescribe generic subutex due to the ability to sell it on the streets for those fabulous people that shoot it up and screw it up for all of us trying to live productive lives.

<snip>

ThankS!

...but you can sell Suboxone on the streets for a lot of $...and the people who buy it can go home and inject it. What horrible logic that "doctor" has.

Good luck on finding a doctor who will prescribe a generic for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
CH....have you approached your doc about switching? As I follow this issue here and on other forums; I keep hearing of doctor refusal to prescribe due to legalities. I wonder if; for those docs who do offer the subutex; the DEA will start hassling them?

know budz well thats whats comin outa my docs mouth is how the dea will be down there necks about swithcin everyone to subutex cause if u do one person everyone will want it (no shit a cheaper way to stay clean) and they go off about all the controlled substance perscriptions coming outa the office, they will crack down on them, i duno i can see that happening. but remind u im in FL so they do tend to watch docs a lil more now. it seems the ppl that arnt in treatmeant programs, like just a doc that can perscribe it is more likly to switch whom ever over.

you're talking about subuxone... subutex has been had a generic version for ages here at least "arrow buprenorphine"

know budz well thats whats comin outa my docs mouth is how the dea will be down there necks about swithcin everyone to subutex cause if u do one person everyone will want it (no shit a cheaper way to stay clean) and they go off about all the controlled substance perscriptions coming outa the office, they will crack down on them, i duno i can see that happening. but remind u im in FL so they do tend to watch docs a lil more now. it seems the ppl that arnt in treatmeant programs, like just a doc that can perscribe it is more likly to switch whom ever over.

Since when did the DEA start watching doctors more? I'm from Georgia and I know plenty of people that have gone down to FL because the doctors are nothing but pill mills. Both Suboxone and Subutex are controlled substances, why would the DEA come down on them? I'm sorry but your post makes little to no sense.

you're talking about subuxone... subutex has been had a generic version for ages here at least "arrow buprenorphine"
Yes, I think the key distinction here is between Subutex and Suboxone. I could see a doctor falsely thinking that Subutex has larger abuse potential, and therefore would be more hesitant to prescribe it.

I'd question that doctor's ethics if he's unwilling to prescribe a generic because it's cheaper...

CH....have you approached your doc about switching?
I did before Subutex had a generic, he pretended like Subutex didn't exist.

I don't mind though, brand name Suboxone is just fine with me.

I wonder if; for those docs who do offer the subutex; the DEA will start hassling them?
No, they won't. It's approved for the same things Suboxone is.

I'd question that doctor's ethics if he's unwilling to prescribe a generic because it's cheaper...

That would be the correct way to handle the situation with someone who isn't dumb as shit. However, we live in the real world where Suboxone doctors are less knowledgeable than drug dealers.

I've taken subutex before but only as a sample from a doctor. The 3 doctors i have been to have only prescribed me suboxone. Suboxone is soo expensive, i usually have to split up my script, so yeah, i'd be really happy to get a generic for a fraction of the cost. that would definitely help alot. I also think this might help people get on a suboxone program who really need help for their opiate addiction, but cant afford to pay so much per pill from "the man."

I've taken subutex before but only as a sample from a doctor. The 3 doctors i have been to have only prescribed me suboxone. Suboxone is soo expensive, i usually have to split up my script, so yeah, i'd be really happy to get a generic for a fraction of the cost. that would definitely help alot. I also think this might help people get on a suboxone program who really need help for their opiate addiction, but cant afford to pay so much per pill from "the man."

Even if you had to pay < $500 for Suboxone, that's cheaper than a large heroin habit is.

You can go through the same amount of money within a week.

I still think the price of Suboxone and Subutex are outrageous though.

Since when did the DEA start watching doctors more? I'm from Georgia and I know plenty of people that have gone down to FL because the doctors are nothing but pill mills. Both Suboxone and Subutex are controlled substances, why would the DEA come down on them? I'm sorry but your post makes little to no sense.

ya theres plenty of pill mills there was some shit on the local news about ppl from kentuky coming donw to do ther biz and what now so there cracking on outa staters some what so ya sorry the post dint make much sence to u but this is coming froma doc (weather he rite or wrong) and im just sharingthis with you ok . thanks. ya they shut down one place and they open up another one down the street. im not talking about pain maintance im talking about about abuse maintance. i may ramble a lil seeing im high but if it dont make sence just ask. peace

so yeah, i'd be really happy to get a generic for a fraction of the cost. "

AFAIK, that "fraction of the cost" is quite a large fraction. For those of us who have insurance with a maximum monthly coinsurance, it has yet to be seen if (assuming it can even be obtained) switching will make much difference.

Subutex generic is now at Walgreens! Friend picked up 90 day supply (#90 pills) for around $65! I knew it would be cheaper, but not THAT much cheaper! Yay, now more people can get help from opioid addiction because they can afford it!

ya theres plenty of pill mills there was some shit on the local news about ppl from kentuky coming donw to do ther biz and what now so there cracking on outa staters some what so ya sorry the post dint make much sence to u but this is coming froma doc (weather he rite or wrong) and im just sharingthis with you ok . thanks. ya they shut down one place and they open up another one down the street. im not talking about pain maintance im talking about about abuse maintance. i may ramble a lil seeing im high but if it dont make sence just ask. peace

You make sense, but that just may because I'm used to people talking like that. But this is an international board with many members from around the world, so try and keep slang to a minimum. It makes sense that the DEA is cracking down on these pill mills and I think it's a shame because I knew a woman who went to one for legitimate pain. She was prescribed 800mg of OC a day and took it just as prescribed because she trusted those greedy ass doctors.

NOPE he is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT 90 pills at walgreens = 65 US dollars. and I'd say thats a TINY fraction, seeing that for 16 mg per day was costing me fucking 140 per week just for the pills!

Well I just picked up my first generic subutex script at cvs, and it was 46.50 for 16 pills....so i find it hard to believe that wallgreens is selling it for SO much less. you guys must be quoting cost with insurance.