• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Subutex Has Gone Generic

So, if they are shipping them to retailers, should I assume the status has been switched from tentative approval to "approved"? Am I also to assume that once they get the green light, the pharmacies will start dispensing the drug? I never realized what a slow process it is for drugs to go generic. I don't think the price is going to be that much lower, but any relief would be welcomed.

the price won't be that much lower you're right StaffWriter but I wonder if this will cause people that are scripted Suboxone to request to be switched to Subutex. Probably so ...i wonder what the new generic looks like

I will defintely ask my doctor to switch me to Subutex. I don't see any harm in it for the fact that I have never IV'ed drugs and I've been on bupe for 15 months and have had clean UA's every time.

How stupid is it to offer a generic Subutex w/o doing the same for Suboxone? I guess it may offer a bit of leverage for obtaining subutex, but I expect to get the same refusal as when I asked about it before. My insurance no longer has "co-pays", they call it "co-insurance", and the maximum/month/script is $50. AFAIK, the plain Temgesic(sp?) tabs aren't too high, so it would seem bupe itself isn't too expensive. Yet, addicts trying to get clean are gouged!

Awesome info since now there's a legit reason to ask your doc to switch to subutex ($$). Not that I really see it as a drug of abuse (personally) but I have issues with being forced to take the naloxone along with my opiate replacement.

From what is being said on this forum, the nalaxone add is simply smoke and mirrors. I doubt subutex will feel any different, but who knows?

Awesome info since now there's a legit reason to ask your doc to switch to subutex ($$). Not that I really see it as a drug of abuse (personally) but I have issues with being forced to take the naloxone along with my opiate replacement.

Why? The naloxone wears off rather quickly, and essentially doesn't change anything about the buprenorphine.

Why? The naloxone wears off rather quickly, and essentially doesn't change anything about the buprenorphine.

^^ Then why did they make Suboxone then? And not just keep it as Subutex? God that pisses me off. Some fucking idiots have to go and smash it, and then ruin it for the rest of the Country.

Has anyone here acquired the generic subutex yet? How much was the doc visit and script altogether? I am looking into this...

Suboxone is ridiculous... right now in most states.

And hey were letting some low income addicts get cheaper and sometimes free suboxone, is this in the future for subutex?

ooo can't wait to find out how much the scrips will be compared to a suboxone scrip. It would've cost me $288.00 for 45 suboxone without med. insurance & as of November 1st, I won't have med. insurance anymore :(

Praise the lord

The generics are coming out just in time for me to lose my job and lose my insurance. I will probably be able to stay on them if they are released soon and these stupid petitions aren't allowed to hold up the release process.

Before I had decent work and company insurance, I was obtaining my suboxone on the street for about 8 months. I was taking half an 8mg per day, 8mg would cost me $10 from a friend of mine. I started my own rehab program so that I could find work and make something of my life.

After staying on them for a while and being at my job for a while I got company insurance which paid for me to seek addiction treatment. I went a talked to a doc, told him i'd been on subs for about 6-8 months already and I needed his help to legally get them. Most pharmacies charge about $8-$12 a piece for suboxone without insurance. If you are on 30 per month or even 60 or 90.....thats a lot of cash. I found a private pharmacy that sold them for $6 per pill....I would buy them there so my percentage to pay was lower.

Anyhow been at the job for over a year now and it looks theres going to be a mass layoff...company just went bankrupt. I have no plans to quit suboxone yet because I have bad anxiety disorder (always had it even before I ever did any opiates) and because I have been through several rehabs and treatments and groups etc....I and always relapsed after being totally clean for several months off and on for 7 years. I might as well just take the subs...makes life easier...they help with the anxiety and panic attacks better than any anti-depressant or benzo. Also while I'm on them, the thought never even crosses my mind to do anything else - no cravings.

The other major thing that helped me get off the H and Morphine was to completely disown the old contacts and get a new phone and never talk to any of them. In my previous treatment attempts I never stopped talking to them, even when I had been clean for 8 months several years ago. Its hard to give up those friendships, you almost have a special bond with the old drug friends. They are the only ones who understand the addiction like you and the only ones who will go through hell to get a fix with you. I havn't talked to "the old crew" in well over a year now...some of them in jail, others still struggling, one dead.

Sorry to rant on about my addiction story...i know its a lot to read. Basically I hope that 100 quadrillion generic subutex and suboxone are made and released to public for the benefit of addicts all over the states. Some of the old crew I hung with wouldn't get on suboxone because they could get heroin cheaper than paying a doctor and prescription costs. I means its retarded. Its also retarded the insanely low amount of opiate patients suboxone docs can have. There used to be about 10 or 12 suboxone dr.s in my city...and most all of them lost their liscenses because they were taking on too many patients and they got audited. If you do a search on the suboxone website for doctors in Louisville now, theres 3 or 4. My first two suboxone docs lost their ability to prescribe because of this. Just goes to show that opiate addiction is a plague...especially with the economy as bad as it is...everyone hates life and just wants to get high. There needs to be some serious changes to our treatment of this growing problem.

dave I hope it comes out soon. theres a lot of people that being on sub. is going to bankrupt them if it doesn't...so very ironic. Staying clean is what will bankrupt me & my family...ugh

^ yes. Subutex are white oval shaped with the same sword logo on one side, but it says B8 insted of N8 like the suboxones.

^ yes. Subutex are white oval shaped with the same sword logo on one side, but it says B8 insted of N8 like the suboxones.

interesting, thanks. I've only seen the orange subs. what is up with the swords on them? lol very strange...

KnowBudz, my doc said there will likely never be a generic suboxone....because with the formulation of the naloxone they just cannot get it right. It costs so much money to try it that is won't be cost effective to do all the research.

I called Walgreens and they don't have it yet, don't know when they will get it and have no idea of the cost.......they won't until the run it thru my insurnace. CVS and Walgreens RAPE insurance companies!! I saw that when i filled a script of pecocet, they charged my insurance company $125 for generic, however, same script filled at another pharmacy WITHOUT insurance cost me $7.25 crazy!!

I'm switching scripts cuz I'm losing insurance soon, it has to be somewhat cheaper. My sub cost me $30 copay but for 60 8mg pills it's $433 something. Insane!!

interesting, thanks. I've only seen the orange subs. what is up with the swords on them? lol very strange...

It has to do with the Age of Aquarius, we're in the Libra decan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Aquarius said:
David Williams claims that the Age of Aquarius arrived about 1844, with the harbinger of the Siyyid `Alí Muḥammad (1819–1850), also known as the Báb, founder of Bábism. Williams adopts a sub-period approach to the ages whereby each age is divided into three decans. The three age-decans of the Aquarian Age in chronological order are Libra, Gemini and Aquarius. Williams states that the world is currently in the Libran decan of the Age of Aquarius which is why the world has been so affected by wars (due to Libra) and revolutions (due to Aquarius).

suboxone.jpg

A symbol of our time.

KnowBudz, my doc said there will likely never be a generic suboxone....because with the formulation of the naloxone they just cannot get it right. It costs so much money to try it that is won't be cost effective to do all the research.

Hence, many people will never see a generic version of buprenorphine! What a perfect way to keep your little monopoly, R&B, con everyone into believing the naloxone is there for a reason. The reason is to keep generics out of the race to drain people of their money!

If people woke up one morning and actually cleared out their sinuses so they could begin to smell R&B's bullshit, they would finally realize Subutex and Suboxone have the same effect for all intensive purposes, so you might as well give people either one they ask for, especially so people can access the generic Subutex.

Alas, I'm interested in waiting to hear the complaints many BLers will have because their doctors won't switch them over to Subutex for inane reasons. My doctor played dumb - pretended as if Subutex didn't exist! 8)

Yes, this will be interesting to see how all this plays out. Not offering generic suboxone will cause a big increase in demand for subutex. The story about an inability to "get the nalaxone right" sounds like BS.

A side issue will be what might happen if gov't-run "health care" comes to pass. I can't see the status quo suboxone survive any cost-cutting attempts. IMO, gov't needs to remove themselves from lame attempts to legislate the use of methadone....wouldn't it be an improvement if docs could prescribe as they see fit? Docs can prescribe every other med as they see fit, why not methadone and buprenorphine?

Well roxane has finally officially announced it.
https://www.roxane.com/DownloadBina...ile&fileName=Buprenorphine HCl SL Tablets.pdf

Also if you choose product catalog you can get more info about it and prescribing info/formulation.
https://www.roxane.com

I have also heard there may never be a generic Suboxone because of manufacturing issues as well or it will be pennies less than brand if they do make it. My best guess is this will go the same way as in Europe, France to be specific. Eventually most Doctors will prescribe -tex generic, it will just take time and a lot of bitching.

Right now there are some pharmacies in Ohio, CVS and Walgreens mainly, that have it. According to Roxane by the end of next month 99% of all pharmacies country wide will have it. Bad news is it is only 1/3 less than brand for now.

$425.00 FOR #60 8MG. AND $250 FOR #60 2MG or about $7.00 per pill. Is what the CVS's that have it now are pricing it at.
I was told that as it distributes to more places the price will drop (hopefully).

I pay $6.00 per pill for Suboxone so until it is less than that I will hold off on making the switch.

Last edited: