• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random questions thread - shit you wonder about

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I've heard that on the highway you can get better gas mileage by rolling up your windows and using the AC rather than leaving the windows down. Is this true? And a related question: Do you improve your gas mileage significantly by keeping the AC on low?

They researched my first question myth busters but I forget what answer they came up with.

on mythbusters they didn;t get an answer. the computer models said a/c was the way to go, but when they actually did it, the windows down car went longer. I'm skeptical as to how the cars could be exactly the same. there's so many different factors, the difference could easily have been caused by any number of things.

haha, sick i aint seen this one in a while.

I still wonder how those carpet sweeper things pick up shit off the floor. i know they got rollers in there, but how does that pick up shit off the floor without the suction of a vaccum? And then how does the shit stay in there so it dont just fall out all over the floor while youre sweepin?

Two questions:

1) If a female goes through a complete sex change, including removing the ovaries and having hormone therapy, would she/he still go through menopause?

2) If there are 100 virgins waiting in heaven when a person dies, what then happens to the virgins after they have performed their service? Recycled? Just disappear? Return to Earth?

I have a question, it's been bugging me for a while, sorry if someone has already asked it!

Postmix diet coke. Is it actual diet coke as in only 1 calorie, etc or is it just syrup made to taste the same as actual diet coke... with all the calories of normal syrup? Does that make sense?

BuzzJunkie said:
I have a question, it's been bugging me for a while, sorry if someone has already asked it!

Postmix diet coke. Is it actual diet coke as in only 1 calorie, etc or is it just syrup made to taste the same as actual diet coke... with all the calories of normal syrup? Does that make sense?

why the hell would someone drink a soda that tastes like diet but has more calories? thats just retarded, if someone likes the taste of diet coke then they drink diet coke

after looking up what post mix means, no, it does not have the same amount of calories. they avoid the calories in diet coke by using asprtame, so the syrup will have less calories than other types of syrup

Zephyr:

1) The follicles in the ovaries are responsible for the bulk of a womans estrogen production, adipose (fat) tissue produces the rest. So if a woman's ovaries are removed for a sex change odds are she has already been on hormonal therapy prior (testosterone loading) so she would have already gone through a period of pseudomenopause.

Actual menopause occurs due to lack of viable eggs in the ovaries, the dwindling of th egg supply results in a decrease in estrogen production, hence menopause. If women never ovulated through out their entire life they'd never experience menopause.

2) If you can believe in heaven than anything is possible I suppose. Of course if some metaphysical plane known as heaven exists why would be exist in it in a physical body? If no physical body exists then the concept of a virgin is thrown out the window. Never mind the virgins I'd rather have 100 experienced disease free women if I had the choice. Personally I don't believe in an after life, no concept of heaven or hell.

1. why is it that sometimes when you say the same word over and over again in a row, it doesn't seem like a word anymore... like it loses meaning...whatever that might be, or is just really awkward altogether. Am I the only wierdo that does this? esp the ones that are not phonetic....

2. How long do you think it will be before they stop using real cork in wine bottles altogether?

Grapril said:
1. why is it that sometimes when you say the same word over and over again in a row, it doesn't seem like a word anymore... like it loses meaning...whatever that might be, or is just really awkward altogether. Am I the only wierdo that does this? esp the ones that are not phonetic....

Towel Towel towel towel towel towel towel....

that one KILLED me when i was a little kid. i always hate that shit. i dont know wh yit happens, but you aint alone.

Grapril said:

Here is my theory based on no actual knowledge or research: Every language is just an arbitrary combination of the virtually infinite number of sounds a human being is capable of producing. By removing a word from its context and repeating it, we emphasize this fact. The word becomes a single brick, rather than a brick in a wall or house.

^^ Basically correct, except humans are not capable of producing an infinite number of sounds.

Essentially language is a series of sounds (phonemes) used to represent symbols. These symbols are governed by a set of rules (grammar, etc). Language is obviously a learned trait, but once you have it it pretty much functions on auto-pilot, on an unconscious level. So when you actually sit down and focus on why an individual sound was ascribed this particular symbolic importance the system kind of breaks down because it is arbitrary.

Now the really interesting thing about language is its regional specificity. The phonemes for Asian languages are entirely different from Latin-based languages for instance. Why this is, and whether there ever was once a universal, rudimentary language scheme is a pretty interesting question. But even the fact we call these sounds phonemes is derived from a series of Greek phonemes, which are themselves completely arbitrary so the whole thing makes my brain implode in that very satisfyingly dizzy way.

Grapril said:

gawd I've thought the same thing lotsa times man. I have tried to keep a mental list of those words that especially do that but I've got a terrible memory. One that I do remember is luckily. luckily luckily luckily. sounds funny.

don't know if this has been mentioned probably has but now and again I wonder what would happen/it be like if I woke up one morning and I was the only person in the whole world. I think about how that would affect things, for example, you wouldn't have the light switching on right coz pple run the electricity stations etc etc. I think about how I'd survive (perishable food would become uneatable, animals would die due to lack of care etc.) and picture myself waking up to find everyone in my house not there, yet still geting ready and going off to uni and probably realising on the way that no one is around. Imagining my reaction n feelings.
....I have a pretty wild imagination but doesn't really hurt me thinks.

theres a cool poem called "downtown train" that shows this effect. it basically says downtown train over and over again sometimes backwards and by the end i was seriously questioning if train is really a word. if anyone knows the poet or can find the poem, let me know, cuz im having trouble finding both.

newskin said:
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I've heard that on the highway you can get better gas mileage by rolling up your windows and using the AC rather than leaving the windows down. Is this true? And a related question: Do you improve your gas mileage significantly by keeping the AC on low?

They researched my first question myth busters but I forget what answer they came up with.
This is a response i wrote out for a similar question in another thread:
The airconditioner in your car puts extra drag on the engine when it's switched on, so yes it uses more fuel. The air-con compresssor bolts on to the side of the engine and is run by a fan belt that loops around everything else that your engine powers (like the fan). When it's switched off, the drive wheel at the front just spins with no (well.... very little) drag put on the engine, but when you switch it on, the extra work the engine has to do starts to cost you fuel.

How fast the fan is going however, makes no difference. If you had the A/C on with the fan off (not that you can, almost all cars are wired to only power A/C if the fan is on), then you would still be chewing more fuel, without any of the chilly goodness.
So no, having the A/C down (but not off) won't improve your mileage.

As for whether it's more efficient to have the A/C on or the windows up, this depends on a lot of things. The aerodynamics of your car and the angle of the windows will change how much extra drag you generate by having the windows down. If the windows are angled to catch more wind, then having them open will cause greater drag (it will also make a difference if you have more than 1 window open). The more wind drag you have on your car, the more fuel you need to push it forward.

The other main factor is how efficient your A/C unit is. Older units (or ones that are out of alignment, not fitted properly, or in need of service) will cause more drag on the engine than newer ones, but the figure will almost certainly be different between different cars. Again, the less efficient your A/C unit, the more fuel you will use to turn the engine since they are linked by fan-belt.

It also gets trickier when you change speeds, change the gradient of the road you are travelling on, add actual wind rather than just your relative airspeed, etc. The only way to know for your car is to do the experiment yourself.

Always wondered what the highest someone has ever got on that Bob It Extreme hand game.

I played the one I had from 1999 2 weeks and got it up to its maximum ... it stopped by its self and played some weird music for 30 seconds. I guess the newer ones are supposed to go higher ... so I wonder what the record score for it is. I believe mine stopped at 200 :\

Status
Not open for further replies.