• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Please help pregnant on heroin

I'm not familiar with anyone in the medical community who encourage maintenance for pregnant women. Maintenance of any kind is extremely dangerous for developing fetuses. The only acceptable treatment recognized by the medical community is complete abstinence combined with therapy

Here's just one example of a five year study involving 300 opioid addicted pregnant women showing "no adverse fetal outcomes" after four months of detoxification. It was published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology in 2016.

Hudak said doctors have shunned detox treatment for pregnant women because it went against clinical recommendations, and those who wanted to try it often were blocked by hospitals fearful of the liability risk. Expanding detox treatment, he added, could have a positive long-term impact. That's because once a pregnant woman is placed on maintenance drug therapy, she will be on it for future pregnancies as well, putting all her babies at risk for NAS.

Source:

Ok, if you want real advice from a Doctor, which I am, you need to stop now for the health and safety of your baby. I've read nothing but excuses for not quitting, many of which have been justified within this forum. You have no excuse for not quitting other than the temporary discomfort you will experience.

No, quitting cold turkey will not harm your baby, cause early labor or result in any other complication (the odds are statistically insignificant).

The fact is that you are either willing to be in pain for a week with a few more weeks of discomfort for the benefit of your unborn baby or you are willing to put yourself first and seriously harm your baby as a result.
It is that simple

If you're gonna claim to be a doctor, I would like to know what qualifications you have.

I'm not familiar with anyone in the medical community who encourage maintenance for pregnant women. Maintenance of any kind is extremely dangerous for developing fetuses. The only acceptable treatment recognized by the medical community is complete abstinence combined with therapy

In most Australian jurisdictions, pregnant opioid dependent women have high priority for access to methadone maintenance programs in order to minimise the risk of complications.

Opioid withdrawal in the first trimester of pregnancy is thought to be associated with an increased risk of miscarriage. Opioid withdrawal in the third trimester of pregnancy may be associated with foetal distress and death. Therefore, it is important that pregnant women are not exposed to withdrawal during the first and third trimesters.

The use of MAT during pregnancy is a
recommended best practice for the care of
pregnant women with opioid use disorders3

Frankly I trust the word of government and medical establishment publications more than some dude on bluelight claiming to be a doctor of... god only knows.

Current established medical standards of care is to recommend maintenance therapy. Both because there is a risk from cold turkey withdrawal, especially in a woman whos body is already under stress, and miscarriages. And to prevent the added risks of continued use.

I kindly suggest your take your judgements elsewhere.

Maintenance of any kind is extremely dangerous for developing fetuses.

And frankly, this is complete nonsense.
You could be just lying about being a doctor, you could be a phd, you could be a chiropractor for all I know.

Last edited:
Here's another one, CDC

cdc.gov/pregnancy/opioids/treatment.html

Clinical guidance for pregnant women with opioid use disorder is available from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)external icon and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)pdf iconexternal icon. As noted in their recommendations, quickly stopping opioids during pregnancy is not recommended, as it can have serious consequences, including preterm labor, fetal distress, or miscarriage. Current clinical recommendations for pregnant women with opioid use disorder include medication-assisted treatment, rather than supervised withdrawal, due to a higher likelihood of better outcomes and a reduced risk of relapse.

Looking at one study it seems opiate detoxification even with pregnant women in jail with no maintenance medications supposedly wasn’t damaging to the developing baby. (I believe it’s the one Malevolent is referring to..)

But... I think the risks of continued use alone are what have many go with maintenance and slow detoxification via maintenance if possible. This is opiate addiction after all, if we could just stop cold turkey we would.

-GC

Last edited:
I’m assuming your from some conservative state in the US Nate?

Personally I'd rather not go down this road, this is still a thread about a specific person. @GCNate politics don't matter, what matters is ensuring his terrible advice is exposed for the benefit of this OP, and anyone else in a similar position who might find this thread in future.

Well, it's true that being a doctor doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're talking about. And there ARE a lot of quack doctors spread across the states.

more than some dude on bluelight claiming to be a doctor of... god only knows.
Art History?

I'm pretty mad about the "advice" actually. I'm not a Ph. D, but worked half my life in medicine(actually started studying again since Corona), and even I know there is a high risk of cold turkey withdrawal leading to a miscarriage.

We're talking about a human life here, two human lives actually, and risking those lives in a self-absorbed attempt to show off alleged smarts to strangers is fucking disgusting.
Thank whatever deity a lot of reasonable advice reached the OP here.

Yeah look, it’s an obvious reminder but people can say they are anything, it doesn’t mean they are.

As far as I can recollect it’s NEVER been recommended or encouraged for an addicted mother to cold turkey off heroin. Maintenance is the goal along with therapy.

Personally I'd rather not go down this road, this is still a thread about a specific person. @GCNate politics don't matter, what matters is ensuring his terrible advice is exposed for the benefit of this OP, and anyone else in a similar position who might find this thread in future.

Edited it out.

-Gc

Even if withdrawal didn't risk miscarriage, and the degree to which it does is a little unclear, the best thing for the mother and child is to be stable, not desperate for heroin.

Not everyone is prepared to get clean, and they don't just suddenly become prepared cause they get pregnant, and that's aside from all the dangers posed by relapse after getting clean. Soo many of the heroin OD deaths I've seen and heard of happened after someone got clean and relapsed and underestimated their tolerance.

There are good reasons maintenance is medical best practice for pregnant addicts in pretty much every western country.

Going through withdrawals when pregnant is dangerous for the baby and if the obgyn is aware if the situation they can prepare to treat the baby as soon as he is born for opiate dependence.

Methadone is at least clean and reliable. Dont worry about being on it after the baby is born, just concentrate on the time until the birth.

Are you planning on keeping the baby? If so, be prepared to have some intervetion to check on the baby from authorities.

Youll be fine, you must see your obstetrician though or that will not work in your favour. Pre natal care shows you're doing the right thing.

No idea what country you are in but just wanted to offer some reassurance in regard to Child Protective Services.
In most places these days, taking baby away is an absolute last resort.
As long as this isn’t a 2nd or subsequent pregnancy thats gone through heroin addiction, then the system will be there to support and guide you through.
You just have to be showing them you are trying and you’ll have some of the worlds best resources at your fingertips.

Don’t view them as the enemy, they want you to be well and do well as a Mother x

The original poster hasn't replied in a while. I hope things are working out ok.

If you come back and read this, I'm still rooting for you! <3
Im rooting for you as well.i hope you ended up making the right decision.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

I would advise you to go to your OBGYN appointment and put your pride to the side. It’s so important to ensure your baby is growing and healthy.

Do not stop cold turkey, this could put you at higher risk of miscarriage. Methadone is your best bet and yes it will be hard to come off this but I am positive you will do it. The more you evade the Drs the worse it will be for you. You need to work with them and accept the help because it will be the best for your baby.

Please do not take anymore street drugs. They can be cut with so much and the fent in them is so dangerous.
Love you Princess Diz, you're a great lady.

@Sofuckedrn please follow the advice of these knowledgeable people on this forum, I pray for you and your baby and that you come through this and your baby is born healthy and strong.​

The OP seems to be gone for now but I'll chime in anyway.

Regardless of which approach is taken next, an MD's supervision is required because we're dealing with a developing fetus. I'm not a doctor, but I've been part of supplementary community health programs offering acupuncture to addicts in active withdrawal or dealing with PAWS. I've heard so many first hand stories. Some have been pregnant or recently gave birth. I've seen both approaches used: maintenance and abstinence. Which is chosen depends on how intense (dosage, frequency) and long the addiction has been in place for; how far along the pregnancy is and other pre-natal risk factors; how much community support the person has; co-morbid conditions, age, prior pregnancies, over all health status, etc. And of course it also depends on the availability of medical resources, training, and medical biases. There's so much to consider... only an MD can parse this out. I'm so glad the OP decided to go see her OBGYN and face the music. It takes so much courage and there will be hard things to navigate, but it's worth it to preserve the sanctity of a new life.

The only addicts who get their newborns taken away are the ones who go back to using or show signs there's no hope of them stopping. An infant can't be raised in an environment riddled with active addiction and street drugs. But if you are really putting your best foot forward, it's a different story. This isn't 1980, they know a lot more about opiate addiction now thanks to decades of advocacy, not to mention an opiate epidemic that the punitive model never fixed. I've met dozens of children of opiate addicts, some who are now adults, and they don't even remember neonatal withdrawal. And in many of those cases, the newborn changed the addict's life. The looked into the face of their baby and said fuck, I need to turn my life around for this little one who needs me. The rest is history.

Don't mess with this. Go to a doctor.