• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Please help pregnant on heroin

Has anybody brought up Loperemide?
No offense here,
but can people please stop going in here and naming random drugs?
Not only didn't you learn how to spell the drug you're offering correctly,
you didn't even bother to cross-reference LoperAmide & pregnancy in google, to see it is certainly not recommended to take Loperamide during pregnancy. In animal testing Loperamide has shown to damage the foetus. Great advice, huh?

I'm so so so glad you people showed up too late to ruin OP's life and she already got very sound advice

Last edited:
I don’t care what you think you know. Methadone has been studied and is much safer in these scenarios.

Advising someone to do something based off of your opinion or belief is madness and it’s not suitable for this post.

You have no idea how they treat babies who are born to addicted mothers and it’s obvious because you are incorrect in your assumptions.

The guy is just trying to help, mate. None of us are experts, doubt there is any benefit in jumping down his throat.

OP, how are you going?

Hope you're alright. Theres only a few months to go and stressing out doesnt bring anything but risk. Babies are sometimes born with a chemical addiction but if they are treated for it and co.forted directly from as much body contact with you hiding her, there is no reason she will have problems from this.

Get your blood pressure checked often mate, thinking of you!

Yeah, thing is people will give well intentioned yet bad advice.

All id say is, if you're not sure about the situation, maybe dont give advice until you know more. You can't be expected to know everything about everything, none of us do. Sometimes we might wanna help but just not know enough at the time.

It's not wrong to wanna help, that's what we're all doing. It's just, these are people's lives, and people may well listen to you. So you gotta be careful that you're giving the best advice you can reasonably be expected too.

I wouldn't want anyone to think they just shouldn't try and help at all, just.. You gotta be a bit cautious. Especially in a situation like this with a pregnancy where the usual advice may not apply.

The OP hasn't returned in a while, but she still may. Hope she's doing OK. <3

Last edited:
@December Flower I get where you're coming from here. I've gotten similarly angry at some bad advice here.

But it sounds like @meth444 meant well, I'd hate for him (or her?) to be discouraged from offering advice in future. We all just gotta be careful in situations like this is all. <3

What pisses me off is when bad advice comes from a bad place. Like the judgey comments by a user that were made earlier. I don't get that vibe here though. :)

@December Flower I get where you're coming from here. I've gotten similarly angry at some bad advice here.

But it sounds like @meth444 meant well, I'd hate for him (or her?) to be discouraged from offering advice in future. We all just gotta be careful in situations like this is all. <3

What pisses me off is when bad advice comes from a bad place. Like the judgey comments by a user that were made earlier. I don't get that vibe here though. :)
So I snapped at him/her? Ohhhh, maybe I did
I'm sorry @meth444 - I didn't mean to insult you, but this is a very worrisome topic, and your advice would have possibly been deadly to the baby, if it had ever reached OPs eyes. Don't feel discouraged to help again, just..research it first, please? These are actual real human lives, even if they're just black letters on baby blue for us. Well it's more of a light fog blue

Yeah, thing is people will give well intentioned yet bad advice.

All id say is, if you're not sure about the situation, maybe dont give advice until you know more. You can't be expected to know everything about everything, none of us do. Sometimes we might wanna help but just not know enough at the time.

It's not wrong to wanna help, that's what we're all doing. It's just, these are people's lives, and people may well listen to you. So you gotta be careful that you're giving the best advice you can reasonably be expected too.

I wouldn't want anyone to think they just shouldn't try and help at all, just.. You gotta be a bit cautious. Especially in a situation like this with a pregnancy where the usual advice may not apply.

The OP hasn't returned in a while, but she still may. Hope she's doing OK. <3

It will help her to just have a chat about things.

Suggestions aren't instructions, theres nothing wrong with offering something up because hopefully someone else can address their idea at least civilly as to what would be wrong with it, not enough active users anymore to generate discussions that do help others.

My mum was a midwife decades ago and she says heroin was the best pain reliever for childbirth, really effective, safe for mum and baby, better than stupid pethidine and was commonly used for a lot of things.

Stressing out about using will just make things worse, the whole stigma of pregnant women doing anything that's seen as harmful doesn't make dealing with this easy.

I smoked, had a terrible stressful time and cut back to 1 or 2 a day, well away from anyone as ppl can be wankers, pregnant women are still themselves, dont feel different and cope best they can.

Babies are very tough resilient little things, they'll be fine and will cope with assisted withdrawal and care.

At least its not alcohol, theres nothing that can be done about foetal school disease.

Maybe she has gotten help and is being looked after and will update us

:(

For the record, I most certainly do not want anyone to get hurt. I posted "has anybody mentioned loperemide yet?" NOT "take some loperemide". I chose those words specifically so somebody with more knowlege than I could chime in.
And:

Animal studies at up to 40 mg/kg/day have revealed no fetal harm; studies at 40 mg/kg/day (21 times the human dose) showed marked impairment of fertility in one animal model. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy.

Still, not suggesting anything. But how does lope compare with subutex or methadone, fetal harm wise? Food for discussion. That's all.

Agreed. All advice should be welcomed, barring anything judgemental or harmful. Even members of the medical community will have differing opinions on what a woman in this situation should do. However, for her sake, and the fetuses, whatever is safest for them both that allows OP to avoid withdrawal or any other physical stress, is the best path to take. People may not like it, and that's fine, but sometimes we allow our feelings to guide our decisions and that's not beneficial here.

For the record, I most certainly do not want anyone to get hurt. I posted "has anybody mentioned loperemide yet?" NOT "take some loperemide". I chose those words specifically so somebody with more knowlege than I could chime in.
And:

Animal studies at up to 40 mg/kg/day have revealed no fetal harm; studies at 40 mg/kg/day (21 times the human dose) showed marked impairment of fertility in one animal model. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy.

Still, not suggesting anything. But how does lope compare with subutex or methadone, fetal harm wise? Food for discussion. That's all.
I didn't know loperamide was potentially harmful during pregnancy. I would have thought it was a decent suggestion 🤔

Blueberry87, The info i looked up suggests it wouldn't be harmful, but no actual human studies have been conducted. You hit it on the nose, i figured the goal was a comfortable taper. I've not experienced opiate withdrawals, but I've been around people suffering. Nothing nice about it. Hope the OP gets what she needs to stay healthy.

I didn't know loperamide was potentially harmful during pregnancy. I would have thought it was a decent suggestion 🤔
When pertaining to pregnancy, loperamide is a Category C drug, which means whilst there have been adverse effects to the foetus in some animal studies, there is not enough data to suggest that the use of loperamide in humans during pregnancy will cause birth defects. In the situation where the benefits of taking the medication outweigh the potential risks, doctors will suggest that the mother take the medication if absolutely necessary while remaining under close medical supervision (i.e. reporting to their doctor or presenting to hospital if there are any problems).

As another example of this, the antidepressant I am currently on, Cymbalta or duloxetine, (and indeed a LOT of other antidepressant and psychiatric medications) are Category C drugs. If/When I get pregnant, my doctor and I will be making the informed decision for me to remain on my medication because the benefit of taking it (i.e. me not going crazy and killing myself) far outweighs the very low potential risk to the foetus.

When pertaining to pregnancy, loperamide is a Category C drug, which means whilst there have been adverse effects to the foetus in some animal studies, there is not enough data to suggest that the use of loperamide in humans during pregnancy will cause birth defects. In the situation where the benefits of taking the medication outweigh the potential risks, doctors will suggest that the mother take the medication if absolutely necessary while remaining under close medical supervision (i.e. reporting to their doctor or presenting to hospital if there are any problems).

As another example of this, the antidepressant I am currently on, Cymbalta or duloxetine, (and indeed a LOT of other antidepressant and psychiatric medications) are Category C drugs. If/When I get pregnant, my doctor and I will be making the informed decision for me to remain on my medication because the benefit of taking it (i.e. me not going crazy and killing myself) far outweighs the very low potential risk to the foetus.
Ah OK, gotcha. During pregnancy, any meds that haven't been proven safe are definitely off limits. When not pregnant, I have no problem testing things to see how safe or unsafe they are. 🐹 (That's me as a guinea pig.)

Ah OK, gotcha. During pregnancy, any meds that haven't been proven safe are definitely off limits. When not pregnant, I have no problem testing things to see how safe or unsafe they are. 🐹 (That's me as a guinea pig.)
:)

Ohh, Neophyte is a woman. Sorry if I called you "man" or "dude".

Officially we do not use it on pregnant humans at all, not that I'm aware of.
There's not enough data to say if it's safe or not, that is the main reason why we stay away from it.

It is OK even during breastfeeding, but during pregnancy could have unforeseeable risks.

And:

Yeahyeah, but the same article you're referring to also says: "Studies in animals have shown evidence of an increased occurrence of fetal damage, the significance of which is considered uncertain in humans." sooo, hm. That's the Australian assertion, USA is "US FDA pregnancy category C: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks."

I'd stay far away from it, if pregnant. As I said, I do not want to discourage you from helping, but all these drugs are freaking complex, and what might be great for person A, might be deadly for person B. OP got really great help from some very sensitive and knowledgeable members of this forum :)

I actually often use both those words, even towards other women. Lol.

I think of them similarly to how Australians use "mate". Kiiiinda gendered, but also sometimes not.
Oh, maybe it works like "Oida/Alter" then, which means "old man", but is kind of used for both men and women. Thanks for the clarification :)

Oh, maybe it works like "Oida/Alter" then, which means "old man", but is kind of used for both men and women. Thanks for the clarification :)

It's weird cause I don't think of the term "buddy" like this. Even though the word itself seems less gender specific at first than the other two, mentally I think of it as very gender specific.

For instance I'd pretty much never call a woman "buddy" or "pal". Although I don't actually use either words at all. Dunno, intuitively they seem more like things men use as informal address to other men who they don't know.

Dude and man however are more genderless to me. Go figure.

No doubt a lot of these terms also have regional variations in their use and usage.

It's weird cause I don't think of the term "buddy" like this. Even though the word itself seems less gender specific at first than the other two, mentally I think of it as very gender specific.

For instance I'd pretty much never call a woman "buddy" or "pal". Although I don't actually use either words at all. Dunno, intuitively they seem more like things men use as informal address to other men who they don't know.

Dude and man however are more genderless to me. Go figure.

No doubt a lot of these terms also have regional variations in their use and usage.
I think it originates from the German
"Man", which does not mean man, but means "one"(not the number, I mean one self)
But it's very very close to "Mann", which means "man"
This can be used in an expression like "Oh Man"(which is the same in German and English), or "Man-o-meter", which means the same. "Man" can also be added to a sentence to give the sentence more push. "Ich mag das nicht, man" - sounds similar. "I don't like that, man", same thing here. It's just an expression that gives an extra little push to your sentence, but has nothing to do with men, culturally speaking. I think dude comes from the same place, and is just a more modern version of this (over time) misinterpreted expression.

Totally derailing the thread, sorry. Linguistics are very interesting