• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Neo-doves Part II

I also wonder the reasons of doing the analysis(aside from harm reduction), and passing on the results to 'authorities', surely the said authorities have their own labs, and means and reasons to do these tests, and, unless they had some vested interests and/or input into the tests, why would they take them seriously...and if they did, do the results of an outside, non-commissioned study have any legal validity? I suppose they can duplicate the tests, by an accredited lab (no disrespect on the team who did it here) but surely to change a legislation, the lab must be accredited? hmmm, it just seems strange to me...

I read in this thread the lab was nata certified. No easy feat my friend

We have been somewhat coy about the details of where the lab is as much as to protect the investigators as anyone. This sort of study, with results being passed onto consumers prior to publication, opens investigators to criticism, even censure from colleagues and superiors. It may not be fair but it's true. Without going into to much detail-
The laboratory is NATA certified;
The results were passed on to state LE, and my impression was that they were fairly non-plussed;
The results were forwarded so that the analysis could be seen to open, not covert, and show that the investigators had nothing to hide, with a view to paving the road to doing further investigations in the future;
Given that the laboratory is probably one of the top 3 of its kind in Australia, I doubt that anyone in the profession wouldn't take its' results seriously. My impression is that LE (with the exception of the feds) has a tenuous grasp on the academic side of drugs and drug policy. In our state, for example, they're some of the strongest backers of the ban on the term 'recreational drugs'. They have expressed an interest more in the consumers than the drugs themselves in the past- as patients-, and of course, as medico's we have a duty of confidentiality to patients, so no real dialogue has occurred there...
Hope these help.

Hi Chaps! long time listener first time caller - I have been reading the threads surrounding the contents/makeup of neorganics range and have found it most enlightening! so thanks one and all - its great to come across a forum with such obviously substantive knowledge behind it! - I have been enjoying the neo range for a couple of months now here in the UK and I was wondering (although im sure the possible relation has been made already!! forgive me in advance!) if you peeps had made any connection with the Hagigat "revolution" in Israel and the arrival of the neo range on the scene - the connection to me seems pretty uncanny - unless someone has already let the 'Khat' out of the bag! lol!

=D Hah! "Khat out of the bag" I love it, nodger!!!! With your permission, I will use that in a title of one of our papers... Yep, I've written to the Ministry of Internal Security to try to get the tox details of their products most recently banned, including a dimethylcathinone. I have no idea what the others are...

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1195546795628

My own feeling is that the producers of the those 5 products are likely to be associated with the producers of the Neodoves, and from a commodity perspective, it makes sense to try to move product from a country where they are banned to countries that might not have the same restrictions. Purely speculative on my part...

I would be most flattered Dr! make sure I can get a synopsis of the paper when released - Because "Khat's the way! aha aha I like it! aha aha" . Oooer poor Khat related wordplay (could by the subject of a new thread " amusing and ironic uses of the word " Khat"!" ho ho!

Read the thread, EzekielDee.

It's not "supposed to achieve" anything. It is "supposed" to demonstrate that we are conducting these analyses in an above-board fashion, with nothing to hide. If we identify susbstances that a) have been shown to harm people in the past or b) are very similar to substances that have harmed people in the past and c) happen to be illegal, then we are obliged to inform a wide variety of people. We have already informed the consumer group- do you really, REALLY, think that we shouldn't inform the medical profession? And if we inform the medical profession, do you really, REALLY think that the LE agencies won't find out?

People can do what they want with the information. They can ignore it, they can use it appropriately or inappropriately- it is after all, just information.

The insinuation is that LE was informed in order that they could take some action on the matter. If that's what you believe, fine. The reality is that in this sort of investigation or study, in a country like Australia, serious ramifications are possible for investigators who don't make a concerted effort at appearing to be transparent. If you have a problem with that, that's fine too. We don't- and we're the ones with the access to the big expensive machines that tell people what's in their party bag.

I welcome the opportunity to swap notes with any BLers doing this sort of research privately. Oh, that's right- there aren't any... It's too expensive and too technical. Until such time as that when the drug using community in Australia is funding and staffing it's own accredited forensic toxicology lab, I guess they'll have to put up with the ethically approved analytical protocols that we use in our research, or remain in the dark regarding whatever they insist on chugging / snorting / mainlining.

doctors call it mainlining? i thought that was like 1980s movies :)

thanks for the clarification, perhaps LE have an interest in facilitating the consumers utter obliteration?? 8)

"If police operations are increasing the risk of death and harm in the community, perhaps it is time to rethink" - VivAids
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22909672-2862,00.html?from=public_rss

verycool this Damon Brogan daring to express establishment heresies to alude that the current prohibition/police state clusterfu*K is just not sustainable...
well thats not quite correct, prohibition could be very sustainable and beneficial to the country they just have to build more privatised prisons and allow the trans-national corps access to the inmates as paraslave labour...
8o

Last edited:
Would you prefer IV-ing? It doesn't sound as pretty, but I would be happy to bow to your greater expertise...
Doctors call IV users and IV drug use alot of things- very few of them as benign as 'mainlining'. Be thankful I'm feeling sweet and naive today...

i just thought in work theyd use the term intravenous injection/drip over mainline injection/drip.. thats all.. whats this shit about greater expertise? i wasnt being a smartass.

Chesai makes some good points in her post, which I see as a reasonable summary of previously voiced concerns in regards to this matter.

I assume and trust the results of the tests are correct regarding 'what you tested'. That said, who's to say he doesn't sub with different stuff as per availablility of supply? Nobody really, since its not regulated.

So really, there goes the validity of the study? - cos the product more than likely, changes. Sucks really. As HR goes - if you're trying to take care of what you may ingest its good to know it was the same this time as it was last time and vice verca. (I know, shit spelling all round....) So that batch that was tested, I have full faith in. After and before, who knows?

From consumer comments, in all probability, substitution has occured. Our intent was to discover what we could with what was available. If it had been possible to regularly check batches, say over six months or longer, I'm sure there would have been a willingness on the part of the investigators. However, there are enormous hurdles to overcome with such an approach, not least the lab/man time involved.

So the aim was to identify, via samples received at that point in time, a range of products which were popular with users. The variables involved in this method are numerous and certainly from an analyst's POV, it's far from optimum. However, in regards to possible substitutes, it must be said that while other compounds are likely at the disposal of the producers, it's also likely these will follow the example shown with many of these compounds, where legal analogues of cathinones have been exploited commerically. The neorg products likely stemmed from legal loopholes as did Hagigat, a product containing ~ 200mg cathinone. Hagigat was reported to have been labeled “Natural stimulant and aphrodisiac for men and women, contains no chemicals; drink fluids liberally.” (1). It was sold freely in Israel until it was banned. iirc, Hagigat first surfaced as a substitute to Khat around the time it was banned.

There's good reason to suspect additional variations to the parent compound are yet to be seen - which may or may not escape future legislation. I guess, the direction of a company like neorg will depend upon how broad the upcoming, anticipated Israeli legislation will be.

I assume / trust the tests are correct and valid. I assume Doran is freaking out cos he's had a spotlight shone on him and now has to do damage control.

I agree - lets move on to the next lot. But in the interests of HR, we're back in the same place really.... no knowledge of chemicals, no knowledge of the interactions and no ability to notify anyone (of medical significance) if it all turns shit faced - since we can't be sure what was in it.

Which brings us right back to... now that its about to become 'illegal' and replaced by handy dandy new ones, what happens when/if it goes pear shaped??? (I know, there's probably no answer to that)

I can't comment on what the company rep is thinking, but I have noted some inconsistencies in his various communications which I've been forwarded, or have seen posted here.

From a Harm Reduction perspective, knowing the ingredients or speculating on possible variations in formulations can allow for a better informed choice, based upon:

• Outcomes of the chemical analyses
  • Survey report (results up soon)
  • Personal experiences, BL user, and friends' reports
  • What has been learned from literature
  • Legal risks
  • Work related implications such as performance- safety and drug testing as it relates to any detectable drug with a long metabolic half life.
  • Driving etc- as above
  • Possible health risks associated with the identified, previously known chemicals
  • Adverse effects as noted by users
  • Postulated pharmacology of the unknown or unresearched chemicals, arrived at by studying structurally similar substances, and includes addiction potential, possible predisposing factors such as illness or hereditory conditions and substance interactions (i.e. the combinations of drugs within the products, prescribed medications, illicit drugs etc), .

I appreciated the analysis done because it shed light on it. It just seems a shame (and goes hand in hand with analysis) that once you know, it's probaby going to correlate with a slap on the head and a kick up the ass, withdrawal of the product and a new round of 'who knows what...'

It's a double edged sword, but necessary for harm reduction to stay afloat in a world that often views the concept as either at best ineffective, or worst, as encouraging drug use. Perseverance has required great diligence on behalf of HR advocates in order to thwart the determined efforts by some politicians who wish to see HR banned altogether. Unfortunately as this continues, there's also bound to be compromises required and some less than ideal outcomes along the way. For HR to evolve into what it was always intended to be, we need to be both prudent and daring, for we have little to work with in terms of resources. So, IMHO, if HR is to have hope for developing further, we need to work with, and alongside all parties and groups involved with drugs: consumers, manufacturers, policy makers, the medical fraternity, sociologists, forensics, researchers and yes, police.

HR groups need private as well as government funding, and to achieve that, HR must be clearly defined by a morally indisputable role, where the aim is to save lives and improve the health and wellbeing of users. Ultimately, this also equates to reducing the demand for drugs through the dissemination of accurate, but properly presented information. We hear alot of talk regarding semantics. By some definitions, harm prevention is the ultimate aim of any harm reduction or harm minimisation group. It's how we define what's acceptable within those paradigms that distinguishes each from the others. One of the biggest problems confronting us HR advocates is how we can formulate a protocol that is flexible enough to survive changes in political ideology, while raising our credibility to a degree that we attain and maintain a functional role in legislative reform.

As an initial step, is hoped that by integrating HR more strongly with other departments, a respected voice will stem which will not only be considered in the policy making process but will be reinforced by facilitating others to come out of their 'academic closets'. Many of our best academics who believe drug reform is overdue are currently 'bound to silence', often because of the present stance by government - their overseeing body and funding source. As many including myself have learned, bite the hand that feeds you and you'll only get less (and be given less of a voice)..... Yet within the system many of us believe there's room for change.

Many of the HR advocates who are calling for reform also have a damn good record at predicting future trends. And little wonder. Front line workers, researchers, doctors etc often see things before the more 'closed door departments'. As is demonstrated by the outcomes of this project, it will become more than apparent that the best way forward will be to incorporate such findings and recommendations when policy change is on the drawing board.

Yes, there will be a constant onslaught of new recreational substances, and yes, more and more will likely be scheduled. However, the future of recreational drugs will be diverse and novel, and I believe LE will be constantly behind the eightball, even more so in the future. Introducing respective legislation for any and all new compounds as they emerge will be all but impossible and would severely compromise legit industry and research, which the analogues legislation already does to quite a degree.

I believe that the term 'recreational' will (again) be formally recognised and accepted, perhaps because I also believe we'll ultimately see safer recreational drugs being legitimately available (particularly partial agonists or metabolically directed/limited drugs). But between now and then, there needs to be much work done to keep up with identifying new, and emerging products. This extends to working towards establishing a NATA accredited analytical laboratory ( requiring massive funding) and most importantly, providing incentives and funding for the clinical evaluation of new drugs.

As HR advocates, with the future we face, we need to be incredibly resourceful, and that means working with all relative departments and authorities, even those once deemed enemies of the cause. It's not a sell out, it's progression, it's survival, and at present, its the only position HR in this country can effectively operate from. Afterall, ultimately, we all want to see less harm from drug use. Because HR is sort of out on a limb atm, it will require advocates continually show their just cause in the face of changing views or proposed amendments to legislation. It has become and will continue to be a constant challenge.

Ref:

Bentur Y, Bloom-Krasik A, Raikhlin-Eisenkraft B. “Hagigat” – A New Illicit Form of Khat (Cathinone), Israel Poison Information Center, Rambam Health Care Campus, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel.

Do you think now the chemicals are indentified they will be mixed with MDMA in street ecstasy as the chemicals are so cheap to get from labs that do custom synths overseas.

phase_dancer
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

that was gold..!!!

lets keep
stirthepot.gif
and further manifesting positive intent into positive action..
i'm excited now..

Last edited:
phase_dancer said:
Postulated pharmacology of the unknown or unresearched chemicals, arrived at by studying structurally similar substances,

hmmm one thing i have been taught is that u can't confidently predict pharmacology or effects of a substance based on structural similarity and rules. Even a minute change like a position of a molecule or less is enough to pontentially make the substance lethal or harmless.
i'm happy to be wrpmg but i think infering say, toxicology,. abuse potential and polydrug interactions of sample 3 and 4 from methcathinone/tenuate would be quite useless.. obv further trials and tests have to be done with pure samples of these and other substances..

Last edited:
If the above is correct, both the phthalimidopropiophenone and 4-fluoromethamphetamine appear to be currently legal in WA.

Hey Phase_dancer,
The comments by Biscuit are both correct and at the same time irrelevant and misleading and sadly many folks get caught up in this definition problem. Certainly, the WA legislation has the most loopholes of any state, however they are not as big as some might think.

Sticking purely with the WA state legislation for the moment the main problem I see is in the Misuse of Drugs act
60. HALLUCINOGENIC SUBSTANCES (structurally derived from methoxyphenethylamine)
To most normal people it would be inconceivable to think that 4-fluoromethamphetamine could be regarded as a derivative of methoxyPEA. I personally would not take that risk however. You may recall the last time Sasha was in this country he was giving evidence in defence of a group of people getting nailed for 2CB manufacture. If you look closely at that case [and several others] you will see that the definition of "structurally derived" is different to what we would understand as a derivative. As such, substituting a fluoro for a methoxy will fall well within the legal definition and that of the expert witnesses. [they lost their appeal btw].
Sasha also testified about the definition of 'hallucinogenic' and neither the jury nor the judge ended up making any such distinction this community might make. So yes, as far as the law is concerned 4-fluoromethamphetamine is definitely a 'hallucinogenic substance structurally derived from methoxy PEA'.

The real problem however is the federal drug law [yes, there is actually such a thing even though we keep getting told drugs are purely the domain of the states]. Most of this legislation is embedded in the federal Criminal Code Act's 600 or so pages.
The Criminal code can be read HERE.
May I at this point also suggest that all legislation should be taken from the comlaw site or the respective state law sites. Austlii is incredibly unreliable and in drug law you really need to look at the latest and complete compilations at all times.

The criminal code has a juicy analogs clause. And even if the large variety of additions doesn't cover it then there is always section(f):

(2) A substance is a controlled drug if the substance (the drug analogue) is, in relation to a controlled drug listed in subsection (1) (or a stereoisomer, a structural isomer (with the same constituent groups) or an alkaloid of such a controlled drug):
(a) a stereoisomer; or
(b) a structural isomer having the same constituent groups; or
(c) an alkaloid; or
(d) a structural modification obtained by the addition of one or more of the following groups:
(i) alkoxy, cyclic diether, acyl, acyloxy, mono amino or dialkylamino groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in any alkyl residue;
(ii) alkyl, alkenyl or alkynyl groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in the group, where the group is attached to oxygen (for example, an ester or an ether group), nitrogen, sulphur or carbon;
(iii) halogen, hydroxy, nitro or amino groups; or
(e) a structural modification obtained in one or more of the following ways:
(i) by the replacement of up to 2 carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures with different carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures;
(ii) by the addition of hydrogen atoms to one or more unsaturated bonds;
(iii) by the replacement of one or more of the groups specified in paragraph (d) with another such group or groups;
(iv) by the conversion of a carboxyl or an ester group into an amide group; or
(f) otherwise a homologue, analogue, chemical derivative or substance substantially similar in chemical structure;
however obtained, except where the drug analogue is separately listed in subsection (1).

So yeah, I think pretty much all the neogoodies fail this test.

As for the Customs Act, it does not appear to have an analogs clause in the import regulations [it does in the export regulations, so don't go sending any neorganics products to friends overseas!!]. However, customs does not need to have an item scheduled to seize it. the 'community protection unit' of the customs department liases with the TGA on any substances they have concern abuot. This is often the process by which new schedule listings are made in the SUSDP and other lists. If this unit feels that an item should not enter australia they will seize it and you will need to take the matter to court if you want it back. Obviously you would not want to do this when the item also contravenes other federal legislation such as the neorganics products do.

Just followed that link to the Nexus case [which is the same case I was referring to above] and it clearly supports what I was saying about where the law stands on the halogenation of PEAs. It makes for sobering reading btw.

Last edited:
excellent work Phase Dancer et al.
lfrom a UK persective this leads to the interesting situation that at least some of these supposedly legal products contain material that is not UK legal.
4-fluoromethamphetamine has been illegal since 1977 here.
as far as I can tell 4-fluoromethamphetamine is pretty unknown from a toxicology angle, however there are signs of problems with thermoregulation with the non methylated congener 4 fluoroamphetamine (4-FA), with 4-FA there also seems to be other signs of physical toxicity at doses not much higher than the commonly used doses. though having said that 4FA has been around for almost a decade without as far as I am aware killing anyone. but certainly not something to treat lightly.
all very interesting.

Thanks for your interesting post Tabaluga

I'm always sadly amused whenever the criminal code analogue clause is mentioned. This piece of legislation is so broad it encompasses most things done in Uni organic chemistry and even some stuff in Biomed and Biochem classes. Indeed, a Uni professor said to me upon sighting it for the first time, that most of the experiments done in normal lab classes in some way contravene the legislation.

I know there's usually a just cause clause (mmm...that's a funny term...) by where the accused can demonstrate he/she had a perfectly legal application or purpose for the substance, but the way I see it, if they really want to get you, they have a lot to bat with. Yet, in saying that, I believe there are areas at present not covered by this legislation, simply because either the molecules in question are considerably different in size, or the parent compounds are not specifically listed. Until a few years ago, Salvinorum A was an example of a compound that had slipped through this net.

To most normal people it would be inconceivable to think that 4-fluoromethamphetamine could be regarded as a derivative of methoxyPEA.

With the example of the 2CB story, I believe that it was a far more open and shut case, despite Shulgin attempting to explain that 2CB was not a derivative of a methoxyPEA and was synthesized via a route that did not require the methoxy PEA intermediate. Nice try, but I felt that with the starting compound being dimethoxybenzaldehyde I think it would have been difficult to convince anyone not accustomed with chemical synthesis, and even then, the crown found expert witnesses who said it was a derivative. In contrast, with Fluoromethamphetamine however, I think any such relationship between either a methoxyPEA or an alkyl substituted PEA is non-existant.

Why? Because the typical route to manufacture would require p-fluorobenzaldehyde, or for that to be synthesized from p-chlorobenzaldehyde. There's not a methoxy in sight, and no starting material, reagent or intermediate that contains a methoxy group (or a ring substituted alkyl group). Even stretching the legal definition as was done in the 2CB case, I can't see how the WA or NSW analogue legislation could encompase this structural variation. I could be wrong though, as I'm certainly not well versed in law and this sort of legal precedent.

From the 2CB case, the relevant NSW legislation describing what constitutes a MethoxyPEA structurally derived compound: "2, 5 Dimethoxy - 4 methylamphetamine and other substances structurally derived from methoxyphenylethylamine being those substances having hallucinogenic properties."

However, in saying that, under the criminal code wording, and analogue/ designer legislation from other states, there is no doubt 4-Fluoromethamphetmaine would be regarded as an analogue of methamphetamine, which, from a chemistry perspective it most certainly is.

Are there any other cases where the legislation has been acted on? There could be heaps, but I've not seen any referred to.

hmmm one thing i have been taught is that u can't confidently predict pharmacology or effects of a substance based on structural similarity and rules. Even a minute change like a position of a molecule or less is enough to pontentially make the substance lethal or harmless.
i'm happy to be wrpmg but i think infering say, toxicology,. abuse potential and polydrug interactions of sample 3 and 4 from methcathinone/tenuate would be quite useless.. obv further trials and tests have to be done with pure samples of these and other substances..

I agree that it's not always possible to accurately predict the pharmacological profile of compounds, but predictions such as this are made everyday. SAR and QSAR binding models are often quite accurate. Looking at the molecules in question, yes there are question marks next to such predictions, and that is part of my point.

Before the results people knew nothing about the ingredients other than perhaps what the subjective assessment was. More experienced people were, with some additional reasoning, able to accurately predict the class of some of these compounds, but nothing solid was known. While we now have some idea what's in the tested samples, we can only speculate on the pharmacology of the previously unknown, or little known about compounds.

But when that's based upon what is known about structural variations, putting an N-methyl group here, a 4- position substitute there, some idea can be gleaned about where the molecule will likely go, what is will bind to etc. It is not a definitive answer, but it's more than can be estimated when nothing is known of the chemical structure. When translating that to a harm reduction message, it needs to be emphasised that the toxicity profile isn't known, particularly if it's taken in combination with other chemicals.

Still, knowing the profile of drugs like metamfepramone which partly metabolises into methcathinone (~45% is N-demethylated), combined with the phthalimidocathinone which metabolises into cathinone, and 4-methyl-methcathinone which will very likely have additional serotonin affecting properties, we can draw some rough conclusions about possible adverse properties. We know both cathinone and methcathinone are addictive. We know methcathinone at high doses is a serotonin neurotoxin, and from in-vitro studies, that its a substrate for SERT, and is cell-specific. We know that cathinone and methcathinone have been implicated in overdose, with cathinone causing myocardial ischemia, pulmonary edema and many other problems. There's even a report of one patient requiring neurosurgical intervention for intracerebral heamorrhage. What we don't know is what the overall toxicity is from mixing 3 cathinones with caffeine as with the green/white and blue/white capsules which were tested. We can be relatively sure toxicity won't be less than for the individual compounds, so this information, while not conclusive, provides some knowledge and highlights the potential for increased toxicity, which can help better inform a user, or someone who's thinking of using these products.

vecktor mentioned that 4-fluoromethamphetamine was basically an unknown in terms of its toxicity profile.

as far as I can tell 4-fluoromethamphetamine is pretty unknown from a toxicology angle, however there are signs of problems with thermoregulation with the non methylated congener 4 fluoroamphetamine (4-FA), with 4-FA there also seems to be other signs of physical toxicity at doses not much higher than the commonly used doses. though having said that 4FA has been around for almost a decade without as far as I am aware killing anyone. but certainly not something to treat lightly.

His reference to 4-fluoroamphetamine indicates there are possible dangers associated with this compound. While we can't be certain the N-methyl version would be more toxic without doing the research, we can assume it will likely be metabolised more slowly than the parent compound (based on MAO substrate modelling of other amphetamines and their N-methyl derivatives). We can also say with certainty that it will bind differently with receptors, enzymes, and other endogenous chemicals. It's certainly not a conclusive model, and that's never been claimed, however, such information (or lack of concrete info) is worth considering from a HR perspective. Perhaps it won't stop everyone using the drug, but it might make some people use it more carefully, limit dosage, frequency of use, etc.

Last edited: