• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

If Michael Bay made it I ain't watching it. When even the corporate news is saying that it has more plot holes than swiss cheese you've kinda gotta wonder...

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
The camera work was phenomenal and gave the whole film a real sense of action and involvement up close with each of the characters. There was a nice-moving plot [albeit a little predictable], and the script work was excellent. I was laughing out loud a few times!
The robots were done in such an awesome way - personality, design, the way they morphed.. phwoar! My only gripe about this part of the movie was that a] Optimus doesn't have that cute little mouth-guard vent thing he used to have, and that b] Bumblebee was made into such a pussy-assed wet blanket piece of shit. A loveable piece of shit, but not tough enough at all.

And also, is it just me or is this Megan Fox not as hot as they're making out? She looks like she's been baked in a solarium for about 10 days too long, and is walking around like a 30-year-old whore on the streets of St Kilda. =|
I can appreciate beauty, especially in women, but she really just doesn't do it for me. Curious to hear other people's views who've seen the movie?
I really didnt like the camera work.
'Shaky cam' is the new fad lately for feeling 'edgy' and masking the static feeling of CG. I thought Battlestar was laying it on thick but Transformers went way over the top, coupled with super close-ups just to cut down on their animation budget made it look like the cameraman was 2 feet away and was having a fit. (seeing it at iMax just made me feel ill).

I thought the new designs were way too noisy which means you cant pick the robots apart during a scrap. Of course, knowing wtf is going on becomes completely impossible when the camera is being wielded by a little girl on a pogo stick. Distinction comes from color and shape whilst the bots were grey and 'busy humanoid'.

Despite my tastes in camera style and artistic design it was still well worth the cinema visit as long as you dont mind holywood action flix*

* aka. motivationally tone deaf

ps. yes, megan fox reminds me of one of those 'real dolls' except a little more waxy

lostpunk5545 said:
If Michael Bay made it I ain't watching it. When even the corporate news is saying that it has more plot holes than swiss cheese you've kinda gotta wonder...

but its got transformers in it dude

they are more than meets the eye I will have you know

I know its old(ish) now but:
I watched The Butterfly Effect yesterday.

Wow. I didn't know it was that deep. I love movies like this that make you continuously think about them for days after. Plus it kind of made me tolerate Ashton Kutcher which is a phenomenal effort.

I got to work this morning and was talking about it with a colleague and he asked what ending I saw?.... apparently there are two endings!?!? WTF!?

Now to go back home and find this other ending!!!

4/5

^ agreed. It is a good movie even though it has some fairly soft cast playing the characters, but like you said its the concept and the story that really smash that movie home.

The second ending stuff was a bit hoo haa though, it all ends the same regardless

I liked the concept of "The Butterfly Effect". I even dealt with A-bomb, although, i kept expecting him to put his cap on backwards and bust out with:

"THAT'S AAAAAAHHHWSOME!"

;)

Last edited:
I was so underwhelmed by The Butterfly Effect. I wasn't actually expecting anything decent, and instead of watchable trash, it just made me feel slightly annoyed that I had wasted the time. Half of the plot of that movie made no sense whatsoever.

How do you do the spoiler tags again? Oh figured it, highlight...

[spoil]And how does one miscarry one's self? STUPID![/spoil]

However there were some good moments such as the child molesting father getting called out.

Last edited:
I thought it was reasonably good.

Messing with what-if is a usually a pretty good formula for great thought provoking movies:
Groundhog day
Sliding doors
Back to the future (c'mon, you loved it before it became so mainstream it went cheesy)

LP:
Time mechanics always upsets somebody. Consistency is the best you can hope for
Spoiler:
NSFW:

Self aborting. Sure, why not. He has the consciousness and memories of his later life self.
How would you do it?

Ok I love both Groundhog Day and Back To The Future. It's not like I'm a snob against Sci-Fi (in fact I love it) or alternative future movies or anything. I love Donnie Darko which in essence deals with something similar (although it took me 3 watches to figure that out properly :)

I just didn't like The Butterfly Effect although I can't tell you specifics of what pissed me off because I watched it a long time ago.

^ Rent it out and watch it again, but with the directors cut ending. :)

I gather thats the one I saw?

Spoilers, maybe.
NSFW:
I'm really glad I saw the one I did. The other ones made the movie a bit.... I dunno, I think I felt ripped off that the only thing he'd change was not meeting her or being with her, when clearly his motivations weren't always directed at making her happy eg: his mum getting cancer, his mate ending up psycho; which is why he does what he does.

lostpunk5545 said:
I just didn't like The Butterfly Effect although I can't tell you specifics of what pissed me off because I watched it a long time ago.

I think you will find that was Ashton Kutcher

ssshhhaaaaa duuuuuuuuude you got PUNK'D... ssshhhhaaaa yeeaahhh!!!

Never watched Punk'D, I love Ashton in That 70s Show, and Dude Where's My Car? is one of my favourite turn your brain off movies ever.

Shibby.

The Bridge

Saw the 60 minutes report on it earlier this year. Found it quite intriguing, so I decided to download it last week and eventually got around to watching it.

Excellent doco that examines the lives and the final hours of a handful of the people that jumped to their deaths from the Golden Gate Bridge in 2004, as well as having cameras fixed on the Bridge 24/7, thus capturing their fatal jump too. The movie was completely free from any bias of the producer's opinions on suicide and basically let the friends and families of the victims retell their stories to give society some insight into the socially taboo subject of suicide that results from mental illness. Some people in the movie are clearly against it with obvious emotional scars that they still carry, while others look at those they've lost and feel relief that they will never carry their dark painful burdens again.

9/10 - I highly recommend it. Compelling viewing.

m4dd0g said:
I really didnt like the camera work.
'Shaky cam' is the new fad lately for feeling 'edgy' and masking the static feeling of CG. I thought Battlestar was laying it on thick but Transformers went way over the top, coupled with super close-ups just to cut down on their animation budget made it look like the cameraman was 2 feet away and was having a fit. (seeing it at iMax just made me feel ill).

I thought the new designs were way too noisy which means you cant pick the robots apart during a scrap. Of course, knowing wtf is going on becomes completely impossible when the camera is being wielded by a little girl on a pogo stick. Distinction comes from color and shape whilst the bots were grey and 'busy humanoid'.

Despite my tastes in camera style and artistic design it was still well worth the cinema visit as long as you dont mind holywood action flix*

* aka. motivationally tone deaf

ps. yes, megan fox reminds me of one of those 'real dolls' except a little more waxy

When it took them 38 hours to render a second of that CG you can maybe excuse them for using so many close ups?

college_dropout said:
The Bridge

Saw the 60 minutes report on it earlier this year. Found it quite intriguing, so I decided to download it last week and eventually got around to watching it.

Excellent doco that examines the lives and the final hours of a handful of the people that jumped to their deaths from the Golden Gate Bridge in 2004, as well as having cameras fixed on the Bridge 24/7, thus capturing their fatal jump too. The movie was completely free from any bias of the producer's opinions on suicide and basically let the friends and families of the victims retell their stories to give society some insight into the socially taboo subject of suicide that results from mental illness. Some people in the movie are clearly against it with obvious emotional scars that they still carry, while others look at those they've lost and feel relief that they will never carry their dark painful burdens again.

9/10 - I highly recommend it. Compelling viewing.

I remember reading about that. I am hanging to see it, does anyone know if this has moved onto the DVD world yet?

I have a local Lackluster that just happens to be blessed to have an owner who respects doco film :D

A couple of movies to look out for:

Mr Brookes (released 2nd Aug)

Mr Brooks is a star-studded thriller with an impressive writing pedigree. Costner stars as an upstanding businessman and family man in Portland, Oregon, with an alter ego (William Hurt) who prods him to periodically kill random strangers. Brooks has been doing it for years, frustrating the police with meticulous methods that always prove his superior intellect.

Demi Moore plays a detective getting closer to Brooks's trail but with enough personal troubles to keep her sidelined at key moments. The stand-up comic Dane Cook plays a photographer who accidentally captures a Brooks murder on film, then demands to be taken along on the next kill so he can share the thrills.

1408 (released 11th Oct)

Adapted from the short story by Stephen King, a renowned horror novelist Mike Enslin believes only in what he can see with his own two eyes. But after a string of bestsellers discrediting paranormal events in the most infamous haunted houses and graveyards around the world, he has no real proof of life - or afterlife. Enslin's phantom-free run of long and lonely nights is about to change forever when he checks into suite 1408 of the notorious Dolphin Hotel for his latest project, "Ten Nights in Haunted Hotel Rooms".

Anyone who likes sci-fi horrors like Event Horizon look out for a movie called "Sunshine". The cool thing about this movie is it starts off as a "end of the world" type movie, as the plot is based on humanities last chance to restart our dying Sun, but soon enough it goes all sci-fi horror styles and all kinds of cool stuff starts happening! ;)

It's yet to be released in most places but the internet savvy of us will be able to download it soon enough.

I watched it the other night and thought it was pretty cool. Same guy who made 28 days later, and same leading actor. Although this begs the question: would hummanity reeeally ever give a 28 yr old (i dont know how old he is but thats my guess) the job to detonate the bomb that would save the planet... plus how the hell is he a qualified nuclear physicist at his age! I know, I know, don't ask too many questions when it comes to sci-fi or it ruins the whole movie...

Last edited: