• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

Started watching Pineapple Express last night on 99 - it was pretty funny, but I had to do other things about half an hour in - will probably chase it up and see the rest of it. I am a sucker for stoner movies =D

thewaitingcity2009.jpg
http://www.thewaitingcity.com.au/

If you haven't seen it. See it. :)

Enter the void - watched a download at a friend's last night and am definitely going to see it at the cinema - fantastic film, crazy camera work and trippy visuals

Just watched Shrink and really enjoyed it.

Sypnosis:

What happens when the people we count on to hold us together... are barely holding it together themselves? Jonas Pate's "Shrink" is a striking, fast-paced exposé of the "other" Hollywood, featuring folks living outside their comfort zone and the people who put them there. Henry Carter (Kevin Spacey) is a psychiatrist with an A-list clientele, including a once-famous actress (Saffron Burrows), an insecure young writer (Mark Webber), and a comically obsessive-compulsive superagent (Dallas Roberts). Henry is not in a good place, however. He has been asked to take his first pro bono case, a troubled teenage girl from a neighborhood far from the Hollywood hills. Considering his present state of mind, is he ready for the real-life troubles of a young woman who loves the world of movies he has become so jaded by? At its core, "Shrink" is a study of control and our endless need for it, even when it grows increasingly impossible to obtain. Writer Thomas Moffett uses classic archetypes in this modern Hollywood tale, but never pushes them over the edge of credibility. Performed by a well-matched cast at the top of their form, the result is both satisfying and exhilarating. Watching "Shrink" makes us feel like voyeurs looking through a window into the lives of people who look great, feel worse, and end up behaving badly.

Sounds interesting, though "comically obsessive-compulsive" sounds kind of fucked up. How do they handle that? Is it anything like In Treatment with Gabriel Byrne? I watched the first season of that and a tiny bit of the second and I thought it was decent at first though I got bored towards the end. I felt that it moved away from realistic-seeming therapy sessions to events that were much less so.

They handle it pretty well I think.

Can't comment on In Treatment as haven't seen it.

Transformers: Dark side of the moon is ok-ish,

Pretty much the same as the others, wicked CGI and the chick that replaced Megan Fox is gorgeous..

The movie went for way to long which i suppose is typical of a Michael Bay film but all in all was ok. Defiantly worthwhile to see it in 3D too.

I just watched It's Kind of a Funny Story with Zack G. I wasn't expectiing much, but found he's the type of comedian who shines in more complex, darker roles, a la Martin and Murray. He plays a schizophrenic in the psych ward a 16 y.o. boy checks into because he's suicidal. He's desperate to be discharged when as he sees how disturbed the other patients are ('I have to go to school tomorrow!'), but has to stay for 5 days of observation bc of his suicide threat. The movie takes place during this time. It's really an existential coming of age movie. The acting is great all-around. I enjoyed that it's both absurd and poignant, it made me laugh a lot and tear up a couple times. I'll probably end up buying it.

Kung Fu Panda 2, it was a fair bit of fun and would be great for kids. Gary Oldman plays a fantastic villian, even an animated one. Funnily enough I enjoyed the cartoon-like animations throughout the feature more than the 3D-rendered animations... will make sense if you see this film :)

^ I still enjoy plenty of animated flicks, and KFP2 is on my list at the moment. Glad to hear good things.

Saw Liam Neeson in Unknown yesterday..... Better than I expected it to be, worth a watch but it's no TAKEN.

Insidious - pretty decent horror/thriller really great if your into *SPOILER ALERT*
> astral projection dream theories!<

gave me some freaky nightmares the first night after watching lol

I just watched It's Kind of a Funny Story with Zack G. I wasn't expectiing much, but found he's the type of comedian who shines in more complex, darker roles, a la Martin and Murray. He plays a schizophrenic in the psych ward a 16 y.o. boy checks into because he's suicidal. He's desperate to be discharged when as he sees how disturbed the other patients are ('I have to go to school tomorrow!'), but has to stay for 5 days of observation bc of his suicide threat. The movie takes place during this time. It's really an existential coming of age movie. The acting is great all-around. I enjoyed that it's both absurd and poignant, it made me laugh a lot and tear up a couple times. I'll probably end up buying it.

I really liked this movie too. Zack G was much better in this than that other movie - uh - Due Date.....which was woeful - I couldn't get more than 30 minutes in because both characters were so obnoxious. And I LOVE Robert Downey Jnr!! So yeh, It's Kind of a Funny Story was great. Poignant is definitely the right word. It says a lot without having to say it.

In the same vein, I finally got round to watching Rebel Without a Cause - trying to catch up on some of those old classics. I can see why it's so highly rated. They told stories so well back then....it's so rare these days to portray so much emotion without having overly dramatic, drawn out sequences...what's with movies being 2hours+ these days?