• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

Knocked Up

Got some free tickets for this so decided to check it out. The title and the premise (totally mismatched couple have one night stand, get pregnant, decide to stick it out) don't sound that fantastic, but the movie was actually pretty good. The two main characters played the awkwardness well and there were some really funny scenes in there. Bit long though.

3.5/5

Just saw a film by John Waters (Pink Flamingos) called Cecil. B Demented. It's a pretty strange satire on Hollywood and bad cinema, but it's intelligent and funny in many ways. Keep a look out for the drugged out character who gets told it's so retro being a junkie these days ;)

I saw Stardust last night and I loved it. The fact that I like fantasy and Neil Gaimen in particular is probably part of that, but who wouldn't like Neil Gaiman. However you spell his name.

Dr.Feelgood said:
Just saw a film by John Waters (Pink Flamingos) called Cecil. B Demented. It's a pretty strange satire on Hollywood and bad cinema, but it's intelligent and funny in many ways. Keep a look out for the drugged out character who gets told it's so retro being a junkie these days ;)

I remember watching that years ago and thinking it was a b grade piece of shit.

Scoundrel School

Funnier and more entertaining than you would probably expect

ditto for the Reno 911 movie

Marebito

Some Japanese love/horror film about the ghosts of people who inhabit Japanese subways, with a photographer who becomes so obsessed with the idea of absolute fear that he goes down there and brings one back to the real world. Strange shit.

The other night I watched Event Horizon twice because it's one of my favourite movies and I was drunk. Other people got home when I had just finished so I made them watch it as well. Then I watched Donnie Darko for the thousandth time. Every scene in that movie is well shot and beautiful to watch.

Recently I watched Black Sheep, the NZ horror comedy movie about genetically engineered sheep killing every body. It's not too bad, there's a few funny moments, and the gore is well done. However it didn't blow me away and I thought the Kiwi accents were downplayed a bit too much. That accent cracks me up like no other.

There's a few minor spoilers in this:

The other night I also saw Rogue at the movies. When I first saw the ad I dismissed it out of hand as a piece of shit that I would never waste money on. Then I realised the director is the same as Wolf Creek (Greg Mclean), and I was more than a little intrigued.

If you don't like creature features don't bother. I really liked this film but I know that a lot won't. For a start there is not enough character development, which is always a bad move for a horror movie. If you can't feel for the characters and you're sick like me you just start yelling for them to be murdered brutally. I wasn't quite doing that in this film but I didn't really care when most of the characters died.

John Jarrat (the evil fuck from Wolf Creek and of Better Homes and Gardens) is in this film as well. His character is a lot less psychotic than Wolf Creek but ten times as much a jerk. Whoever played the female lead played her role well and pretty faithfully for what it is.

Ok the CGI is pretty passable. I hate CGI as a rule but it's getting to the stage where it's a lot more convincing, not quite there though. I liked the fact that although the crocodile was pretty big it wasn't a monstrous 50s movie giant. They do grow to like 7 metres so this one wasn't too much of a stretch of the imagination.

I also like the fact that there was no larger than life heroic characters. Every character is probably a bit like someone you know or have met, you can understand how they react mostly. Another thing I liked about the movie was how abruptly it ended. In some movies of this genre it's nothing short of ridiculous how many times the monster comes back to life.

But the best thing about this movie is just how stunning some of the camera work is. If you've seen Wolf creek you already know what you're in for. If Mclean hadn't have decided to make horror movies he could have made a brilliant wildlife and landscape documenter. With a bit of sound effects he is also able to make the most mind-blowing natural landscapes appear foreboding and almost like another character.

Anyone who has been to the Northern Territory will probably notice that the movie boat trip seems to travel through Kakadu, Katherine Gorge, and Adelaide River. That's not geographically possible :)

Last edited:
Tonight I watched one of those films. One of those films that makes you remember why you keep throwing the things in the fucking DVD player. It was a Martin Scorsese film. To date I've only seen two of his films, Taxi Driver, which I love, and The Departed, which was pretty good, great action flick, Dropkick Murphys song featured heavily, but still you know, just an action flick, nothing mind blowing. Oh and I've seen Cape Fear which was alright.

But the film I watched tonight is called Bringing Out The Dead. It was dark and moody, but funny and uplifting. And you were never quite sure where it was going, unpredictable. Lots of diverse and enjoyable characters. And it has two songs from The Clash's first album in the sound track.

A fucking plus.

I saw The Golden Compass. It's pretty good. Nice visual effects. The plot is fairly straightforward but it is a PG film, and possibly also a toy franchise. Most of the characters aren't very well developed but it is the first movie in the series. Like Lord of the Rings, the first movie ends on a total cliffhanger instead of where the book actually ends.

Nicole Kidman gives a good performance, Eva Green is hot but doesn't have a very big part and neither does Daniel Craig. I think they only actually speak in two or three scenes each.

Gher, Daniel Craig shouldn't have a very big part til right to the end of the third book really.

I really do hope they make the other two movies as I think the first can't stand alone at all. I'll be watching tonight so I'll post my review later :)

I watched I am Legend last night. It was OKAY. I haven't read the book but people were discussing on Whirlpool what the original plot is like and its safe to say the movie is nothing like the book. Which is a shame cos I really want to read the book now knowing what the plot is.

Here be moderate spoilers - vanth:

NSFW:
I felt the ending was very tacked on and a bit too Hollywood. The chick came out of nowhere and then it ended very quickly after such a long buildup. They could have ended it much better.
Other than that, I liked Will Smith in this....I don't think he's as cringe-worthy as other people think him to be. The monsters were pretty awesome too - I liked the special effects. All in all, it really could have been made much deeper than it was but still watchable.
3.5/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've never read the books and I figured more stuff will happen with the secondary characters in the other movies. There's a good chance they'll make the other two movies, it's a toy franchise in the making.

When did the first trailers come out? I swear I started seeing them over a year ago.

A movie cracked my tears barrier today. A little documentary called Paperclips.
Absolutely slathered with that $2.50- pro-American cheese-in-a-can, but it was also surprisingly moving, and it really touched me.

Watch on a particularly non-cynical day and you too may appreciate the sentiment. :)

NOISE

An aussie movie about a mass murder on a train being investigated, with lots of twists and turns and also about a cop who just doesnt care.
Wasnt expecting much, but absolutely BLEW me away. Well worth seeing, and definately one to see to not only support aussie cinema but to see that as aussies we can actually make a very decent movie...!

And on an aside, the first scene has a old hitachi hotbox train pulling up to burnley station with "LILYDALE" on the destination.
Gold.

SEEE ITTT! DOOOO ITTT!!!!

(Oh and on some more aussie cinema that has been fantastic - Razzle Dazzle a little mock doco about dance schools....fantastically funny!)

I am Legend was a piece of shitty shit with shit all over it. Also kittymeow kind of spoiled it for me.

I'm the one that put the spoiler warning there. Its ok kittymeow, I don't think I would have liked it anyway.

kryalkastleE said:
NOISE

An aussie movie about a mass murder on a train being investigated, with lots of twists and turns and also about a cop who just doesnt care.

Yep, this is a great film, a little slow to start but then you get right into it.

I am Legend looks beyond shit just from the trailer. How many dooms day type movies does Will Smith wanna star in. Seriously. It just has bad written all over it.

A movie that people should venture to see though is, The Darjeeling Limited. Wes Anderson, director of The Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic, Rushmore etc. Quite awesome. Many brilliant one-liners. And just one of those movies where all the elements work.