• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

LP: Event Horizon really disturbed me, it stayed with me for days after i watched it. Loved it too.

A Scanner Darkly - Very cool movie and I think a lot of BL users will enjoy it also. Once again, no masterpiece but this is good entertainment

Sickos
By Michael Moore.
This movie is only downloadable as it hasnt been released due to part of the film being filmed in Cuba and them not having permission but it wa sleaked onto teh net.
It is about Americas healthcare system and the way it is so incredibly bad. Moore goes to other countries like France and the UK to find they have free healthcare and they dont have to pay for anything.
This film is so incredibly heartbreaking watching mothers tell their stories of their kids dying because they have turned up at the hospital, and their healthcare have said they wont pay for them to get treated so they are turned away. Wives having to watch their husbands die all because of their incredibl;y stupid healthcare system.
It was a really moving and incredible film, not just Moore being outrageous and getting thrown out of buildings. It really moved me and made me think how incredibly lucky we are not to be living in the US.
I cried for about an hour after the film saying "Why does the wolrd have to be so goddamn shit".
Good film.

Im done with Mike Moore and he's over hyped realism, it just shits me.

But i think the thing that does it for me is the plethora of documentary film makers making films about real people with real issues all over the world and across many different socio-economic and geographical lifestyles that dont feel like they should have to turn every issue into a fucking caberet complete with staged sketch comedy just so they can win this years fucking Palme D'or

I've also watched A Scanner Darkly (twice) in the last week. I thought the animation on top of real actors was pretty cool and I've always liked Keanu Reeves as an actor. Robert Downie's performance was pretty brilliant too. I guessed all of the plot twists before they were unveiled but it didn't really take away from my enjoyment of the movie.

I also watched Apocalypto last weekend. It wasn't a movie I particularly wanted to see but I enjoyed it a lot surprisingly. I was expecting some supernatural shit but Gibson actually made a decent historical film about a subject I can't recall anyone else tackling at any time. He really does seem to have a penchant for long movies in foreign languages about people getting beaten up for hours though...

Event Horizon also left a marked impression on me Samadhi. There's some truly disturbing images in that film. I think it was also one of the first movies I saw after I turned 15 and was enjoying my legal MA15+ honeymoon at the movies, and a major stepping stone in my love of horror films.

Speaking of which I've recently been watching all of the Hellraiser films. My local video store was selling all of their videos to replace with DVD so they were only a dollar each. Some great inventive, stomach churning, gory special effects in those movies. Unfortunately all my tapes got fucked when my house flooded.

I also realised how boring and conventional the Jason movies are. At least they stick by the teen horror movie formula exactly enough to have decent tit shots in each...

The Fog Of War

One is the most amazing doco's I have ever seen, it was moving, brutal, inteligent and just purely an amazing piece of cenima. It tracks the life and everything contected with Robert McNamara the United States Secretary of Defense during the Cuban missile crisis amongst other things. I would recomend it to anybody who like's confronting inteligent Cenima

Peace LOve and Mungbeans

Pursuit Of Happyness

Though I know it has already been touched on here in the forums and within this very thread, but I finally sat down and watched the Pursuit Of Happyness this morning and loved it. Very good tale of struggle and eventual triumph; I was expecting the movie to actually portray more of the successes of the main character, yet the balance of attention the movie gave to the struggles within exempify and represent the actual title of the movie nicely. Will Smith plays a great role, and his son is excellent in his child role as well. All in all, recommended - and it takes place in my personal favorite city as well. Choice!

kryalkastleE said:
Sickos
By Michael Moore.
This movie is only downloadable as it hasnt been released due to part of the film being filmed in Cuba and them not having permission but it wa sleaked onto teh net.
It is about Americas healthcare system and the way it is so incredibly bad. Moore goes to other countries like France and the UK to find they have free healthcare and they dont have to pay for anything.
This film is so incredibly heartbreaking watching mothers tell their stories of their kids dying because they have turned up at the hospital, and their healthcare have said they wont pay for them to get treated so they are turned away. Wives having to watch their husbands die all because of their incredibl;y stupid healthcare system.
It was a really moving and incredible film, not just Moore being outrageous and getting thrown out of buildings. It really moved me and made me think how incredibly lucky we are not to be living in the US.
I cried for about an hour after the film saying "Why does the wolrd have to be so goddamn shit".
Good film.

Wanting to see this for sure....will grab it off the net soon. Did you grab it via torrent or elsewhere?

As for the hour crying, hugs bud :)

I also recently watched Sicko.

In some ways I enjoyed it more than many of his more recent films. It focused less on humour and sensationalism, not that I have a problem with either, and instead, attempted to provide a glimpse of the human side of the health care crisis in the US.

If you're familiar with Moore's work Sicko is much closer to the tone he set with Roger & me than it is to Bowling for Colombine. Although, I should add that I loved Bowling for Colombine.

Clubland

Brenda Blethyn plays an English mum performing in the clubs of Western Sydney, whilst looking after her two boys, one who's brain damaged and the other who's rather awkwardly falling in love. There were lots of laughs, but something ultimately unsatisfying about this film.

I thought I would enjoy it more than I did.

7/10

^ That's a shame! I'm keen to check Clubland out, I loved Brenda Blethyn in Saving Grace.

^I saw the premiere and I absolutely loved it. :)
I laughed and laughed, and really connected with the characters. Something about the portrayal rang very loudly of country / suburban life to me.
I'd give it a solid 8. :)

[Double posted in my journal cos' I'm lazy]

I saw Transformers last night. I was jumping up and down with a perma-grin on my face all the way through. It was seriously the BEST movie I've seen ALL YEAR. Bar none.
Yes, I know it's cheesy. And yes, I know it's one massive commercial. And yes, it reeks of coming of age nerd-wins-the-hot*-girl. But all of that said and done, it's a kick-ass movie. =D

The camera work was phenomenal and gave the whole film a real sense of action and involvement up close with each of the characters. There was a nice-moving plot [albeit a little predictable], and the script work was excellent. I was laughing out loud a few times!
The robots were done in such an awesome way - personality, design, the way they morphed.. phwoar! My only gripe about this part of the movie was that a] Optimus doesn't have that cute little mouth-guard vent thing he used to have, and that b] Bumblebee was made into such a pussy-assed wet blanket piece of shit. A loveable piece of shit, but not tough enough at all.

Possible spoiler in white [highlight and read]:
I could have cried when they killed Megatron. He was always my favourite, ever since I was really tiny. I'm just hoping he'll be ressurected in the sequel. :(

And also, is it just me or is this Megan Fox not as hot as they're making out? She looks like she's been baked in a solarium for about 10 days too long, and is walking around like a 30-year-old whore on the streets of St Kilda. =|
I can appreciate beauty, especially in women, but she really just doesn't do it for me. Curious to hear other people's views who've seen the movie?

^ I was reading in the MX yesterday that she's tried almost every drug and she thinks pot should be legalised. BUT that's how she knows she doesn't like them. Goooood role model:\ Just a little bit of useless information lol

trancegirle said:
^ I was reading in the MX yesterday that she's tried almost every drug and she thinks pot should be legalised.

Something else she has in common with street workers... I'll reserve judgement until after I see the moofie but I always like it when actors say those sorts of things, even if the general population never listen to them.