Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Most Disturbing Movie(s)?

Requiem for a Dream is pretty disturbing to most but no violence or gore.

First film to mess with my head was Less than Zero. Only because I was still fairly young and didn't know much of the world and I watched as Robert Downey Jr's character fell further and further. All in all not a significant movie, but it had an impact on me to where I couldn't stand to watch him for decades (just because of the character, not even actually him the person). Requiem almost did the same for me, watching the main characters fall to different depths of hell. But, by the time I watched that one, I'd found BL, knew a bit more about the world, and already had an unshakeable crush on Jennifer Connelly. This film bothered me, but didn't get too deep into my psyche.

A Serbian Film
Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom

A Serbian Film probably effected me the deepest in all my film watchings. In part, because I was in a binge watching phase of my life and going through the genre a lot, but didn't actually know what to expect from this one. The fact that the lead was so manipulated, and how he dealt with it, always felt like I was watching a film, so I didn't get so invested, but the way it destroyed his family really got to me. Oddly, the snuff leading to the climax was enjoyable gore-horror-whatever, but when a film destroys things that I value (family in this case), that can really get to me. I was messed up for a few weeks after this one, trying to process what I saw. I could reflect and enjoy a ot of the movie aspects (the innuendo of the apple offering, the sex and drugs manipulation, the layered abuse, the intended messages of some of the sex scenes) but when it got personal with him and his family I was totally shaken.

For Salo, it was one of the films I watched once I recovered from Serbian Film, and it was wholly and always 'just a film, just actors' so I didn't really get effected as much. Honestly, didn't even enjoy it as much, as it relied a lot on degradation, but not on gore and violence until the end when it was a last scene meh of a wrap up.

I've watched real gore stuff before, too.

3 men and a hammer. That kinda got to me a bit, in that it was real. But by then I was more desensitized and distanced from it. There was morbid curiousity, but never the personal effect to upset me.

"High Tension" is a very twisted, intense, disturbing movie, but not quite as challenging as Frontier(s).

Haute tension (2003) was awesome. Not disturbing for me, but what felt like a pioneer for horror given the 'twist' of central character, and the psychological aspects of it. Loved this one. Watched it over a weekend with Funny Games (1997 Austrian, not the 2007 American remake). Loved them both, and while Funny Games could have effected me being the sociopathic destruction of a family, it didn't. Both were more like a fun horror romp on celluloid. Sheer enjoyment for watching, not internalizing.

someone mentioned "Enter the Void"

Not disturbing, so much as a visually immersing journey. I get the morals and storyline, but for me it was mostly amazing eye candy on a long and winding journey. Enjoyable.

Human centipede.

This wanted to be disturbing, but didn't quite get there. It was a good attempt though, in a genre long overdue for something pushing the limits at the time.

another by the name of "Itchi The Killer", not sure if that is also Korean or Japanese.

Japanese. Ichi was Yakuza. Again, more splatter gore than disturbing for me.

In order to survive, you must kill your best friend. I have Battle Royale on DVD with my other collection of J-Horror. Gotta watch it again. It’s been a while.

@TheLoveBandit Have you seen ‘Oldboy’ by Park Chan-Wook?

I tried once, but the film I watched was an Australian film about a middle aged man trapped in his mother's apartment as she never let him out claiming there had been an end of world catastrophe type situation. Her boyfriend would come and go though. Eventually the lead killed mom and bf and escaped and went wandering about modern day Aussie town. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called (searches for 'old boy' don't find this film), but that was my attempt. A swing and a miss.

As such, the Park Chan-Wook film remains on my 'someday' list.

Yes you have to watch ‘Oldboy’ Park Chan-Wook only! Spike Lee tried to do a remake and I spit on it. I’ll never watch it. Only watch Park Chan-Wook. It’s worth it, especially for the twist like I said.

Yes you have to watch ‘Oldboy’ Park Chan-Wook only! Spike Lee tried to do a remake and I spit on it. I’ll never watch it. Only watch Park Chan-Wook. It’s worth it, especially for the twist like I said.
the origional oldboy is the best sadness with violence at it's best ...

"Itchi The Killer", not sure if that is also Korean or Japanese.

Japanese, Takashi Miike. Most of his stuff is at least a little weird, and some of it is near-nonsense. Ichi is great.

You Were Never Really Here is probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in a long time. Maybe ever. Mostly due to the questions it makes you ask of yourself.

Begotten (89) is a bit different. Not the most disturbing, a little arty.

I guess I find real-life more disturbing than films. I don't care for horror, I guess I have trouble suspending disbelief sometimes. The documentary Jesus camp was definitely more disturbing than many horror films. Same with Titicut follies, though I was in Massachusetts at the time.

I can't believe I forgot Jesus Camp. Its examination of the indoctrination of children into fundamental christianity is all kinds of disturbing, especially for an atheist like me!

That ones pretty bad yeah.
Don't think I've seen the face peel one, some of the Mexican cartel beheadings are pretty raw though yeah, seen the one where its 2 guys (I think they were informers) and one gets chainsawed and the other gets done slowly with the knife? The wheezing noises coming out of his neck after were quite disturbing, stayed with me for a bit haha
I saw that, and it was all kinds of nasty. And you’re right about the noises. Awful.

Just google cartel face peel and it will come up. U gotta see it

Ok, that just moved up the list past 3 men and a hammer. Insane.

But both are actual events, not films, so probably not for this thread (or perhaps even for the site).

Jesus is shit is a an actual film featuring wtf Scarlett Johansson and myself but no one is allowed it.

Jesus is shit is a an actual film featuring wtf Scarlett Johansson and myself but no one is allowed it.

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this to you, but just because Fifty Shades got made, doesn't mean your fanfic will get made.

There's a dental procedure in the third film that is particularly disturbing.

The whole cosmic horror of this film gets me every time.