• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
good luck man you can do it, Im scared of eventually getting off this shit even though I plan on being on it for a long time, but when I do I am definately gonna taper first with subs and then loading up on the benzos, supplements, clonidine, immodium, something else to help put me out like seroquel, whatever else. I believe that is the only way I will be able to detox succesfully as doing it without any meds to help is impossible for me.

But good luck man and make sure to keep us updated on how everything is going for you, we wanna see how your doing and also it will be an educational experience for all of us to see how your regimen goes.

good luck man you can do it, Im scared of eventually getting off this shit even though I plan on being on it for a long time, but when I do I am definately gonna taper first with subs and then loading up on the benzos, supplements, clonidine, immodium, something else to help put me out like seroquel, whatever else. I believe that is the only way I will be able to detox succesfully as doing it without any meds to help is impossible for me.

But good luck man and make sure to keep us updated on how everything is going for you, we wanna see how your doing and also it will be an educational experience for all of us to see how your regimen goes.

Thanks bud, I will definitely keep y'all updated on how my progress goes. I agree that I feel that this is the only way I am effectively going to get off of the methadone. Doing the slow taper at the clinic will take another year, and it'll just feel like a slow death the whole time.

I feel like my plan of supplementing a shorter acting opiate for a few days, then using suboxone for no more than 2-3 weeks to taper down with will be better. I'm not expecting a walk in the park or for it to be pain free , but I have enough comfort meds I think to get me through it. Right now I have a few days of another opiate, then plenty of sub, as well as scripts for klonopin, soma, neurontin, seroquel. Also have ibuprofen and loperamide. With those meds I can (hopefully) effectively make this detox as painless as I can, and hopefully be successful.

With my mom controlling my meds and helping with the taper, i believe as long as I stick to my plan i will succeed.

Thanks again for the positive words/vibes,and i'll definitely let you know how I am doing periodically.

lucky you got bunch of comforting meds...I've been on the hunt and no luck : (

I took my last dose of sub last night at 10 and I can feel my skin crawling. I hope my friend comes through if not, I'm just gonna have to suffer through it...AGAIN!!

anyone that clinics carry nutridone can anyone give me some info on it ,like is it really worth the 25 dollars a bottle, is it any better than my multivitamin i take everyday ,like if you take it what are some good things you have noticed after starting it ,they push it on you hard at the clinic i go to but i want some advice from people who actually take the shit ,not the clinic trying to make a buck not giving a fuck if it works or not

Good Morning everyone,
So I got a question for you guys who are on methadone maintanence.

I am on Suboxone maintanence right now, im on 4x 8mg Subs/day so 32mg/day.
But the Subs ain't cutting it, they are not enough to get me trough the day and as im pretty much at the highest dose of Subs the next option for me is Methadone.

I have talked about it with my doc.
What I would love to hear from you guys who has been on both Subutex/Suboxone and switched to Methadone is:

How did your transition from Subs to Methadone go?
Did you feel any discomfort?
And was it worth going over to Methadone?

Thank you.

ive been taking methadone everyday at 50 mg a day for 2 weeks ow i took 50 mgs at 11 am today its now 130 pm or so and i was wondering i i IV 60 mg of oxy would the rush be there at all and would i evel feel it at all after the rush or would it be completly blocked?

ive been taking methadone everyday at 50 mg a day for 2 weeks ow i took 50 mgs at 11 am today its now 130 pm or so and i was wondering i i IV 60 mg of oxy would the rush be there at all and would i evel feel it at all after the rush or would it be completly blocked?

It would be a complete waste. When I was on 65-70mg daily 200mg of oxycodone would do nothing. IVing 3-4 bags of high quality heroin was all that could break through the 'done. Seriously don't bother, it'll be a waste.

well i considered ur advice but i couldnt resist bc my friennd who just got his script changed over to roxis gave me to for free so i jusst decided to do one to see if i would feel anything at all and i deffinitly did even an extremly slight rush so i did the other one and im deffinitly feeling it, mybe bcc im a fast metabolizer it got most of the methadone out of my system by now plus i have only been on the clinic for 13 days starting at 30 mg moving up 5 mg a day to 55 where im at today, nut its deffinitly not at full strength

High Dose Methadone

For almost 2 years I've been on 100 mg's of methadone daily taken once in the morning. 3 weeks ago i finally got a week supply of take homes and thought i might try to get a buzz. I have heard methadone has a ceiling effect at 100 mg's but it might help if someone explains to me exactly what there is a ceiling on, the buzz, the pain relief, the effectiveness to reduce cravings, etc. This past week I took 500 mg's throughout a day and got a very disappointing buzz. I remember before i was physically dependent but still an above moderate user taking 80 mgs throughout the day would have me nodding my fucking nuts off. my real question is if im not getting what i want off 500 mg of methadone should i even try anything else? im not looking to go into daily using i just havent nodded in a good 2 or 3 years and I dream of being able to nod just one more time.

The methadone will block most of the euphoria you used to get from oxy, but that didn't stop me from using it even at 120 mg of methadone. You will get sleepy from the oxy if you use enough, but that's about it. On days when I wasn't using my methadone it took about 1000mg to get that sleepy feeling, which wasn't even very good. Not recommended and extremely expensive.

It would be a complete waste. When I was on 65-70mg daily 200mg of oxycodone would do nothing. IVing 3-4 bags of high quality heroin was all that could break through the 'done. Seriously don't bother, it'll be a waste.

I don't understand the logic behind the five days of short-acting opiates when you're mostly blocked, unless it's to get those final hits (for old time's sake, just to piss Begbie off, etc.). the sub would do the same thing.

I went from about 120mg of methadone to a sub taper about three weeks ago. It's extremely unpleasant, but it's better than two weeks of cold turkey methadone withdrawal.

I also have anxiety, insomnia, and I had RLS even as an opiate-free kid. If you can find something to knock you out, power to you but I sure couldn't. Everything except phenobarb makes the RLS worse when I'm in withdrawal (even benzoes), and if you ask a doctor here for a barbituate they look at you like you've just threatened to make love to their newborn baby.

Suboxone made me manic at doses higher than 4mg. I went up to 10mg of sub but that was too high for me (and, as I remarked in a previous post, a month ago I was IV'g 1000 mg of oxy a day when I wasn't drinking methadone). I wonder if that's due to a predisposition to anxiety.

I don't know what the right number for you is, but I think I would have been better off not going higher than 4mg and doing a 10-day taper. I'd have felt like crap, but I felt like crap at higher doses anyway. I haven't slept more than two hours for the past three weeks, but because Sub is sort of speedy I don't really feel that tired.

I went from 2mg to 1mg yesterday and was up all night again with RLS, mega-yawns, sneezes, etc. I didn't feel the tapers from 10 to 8, 8 to 6, 6 to 4 and barely felt 4 to 2, but I think that's because I was so sick the week I transferred onto bupe that I went through a lot of the w/d. Now I'm dealing with the receptors that are truly wired to the bupe. Bring it on, I say.

Best of luck, Brokedown Palace. Hope you can rest your bones by the waterside.

Thanks bud, I will definitely keep y'all updated on how my progress goes. I agree that I feel that this is the only way I am effectively going to get off of the methadone. Doing the slow taper at the clinic will take another year, and it'll just feel like a slow death the whole time.

I feel like my plan of supplementing a shorter acting opiate for a few days, then using suboxone for no more than 2-3 weeks to taper down with will be better. I'm not expecting a walk in the park or for it to be pain free , but I have enough comfort meds I think to get me through it. Right now I have a few days of another opiate, then plenty of sub, as well as scripts for klonopin, soma, neurontin, seroquel. Also have ibuprofen and loperamide. With those meds I can (hopefully) effectively make this detox as painless as I can, and hopefully be successful.

With my mom controlling my meds and helping with the taper, i believe as long as I stick to my plan i will succeed.

Thanks again for the positive words/vibes,and i'll definitely let you know how I am doing periodically.

Thanks ^.
The reasoning for using a shorter acting opiate for 4-5 days or so is so I dont have to suffer like you did, waiting until I can start dosing suboxone. now I can just start dosing subs tomorrow, while having finished my heroin today. so, minimal suffering so far. Even if you go to a bupe doctor and want to switch from methadone to suboxone they will script you a weeks worth of morphine or something so you dont have to suffer. Its a pretty simple concept.

Just for the record every shot of heroin I have done in the past 3 days has not been blocked. 70mg of methadone isn't enough to totally block heroin. I have gotten the rush, a high, nodding out, total reduction of methadone w/d symptoms... Oxy is weak and a garbage opiate in the first place. In my experience I would have needed 400mg of oxy to even take away methadone withdrawal.

But a 3 bag shot of good heroin certainly breaks through the 'done for me. If I could have just started taking subs a day after stopping methadone, I would.. But i don't want to even chance precipitated wihtdrawals. That's why I am using heroin to stay comfortable thru today, and start dosing suboxone tomorrow, which will be over 100 hours after my last methadone dose.

Last edited:
^Yeah, you felt shitty the first few days because you still had way too much methadone in your system when you were dosing subs, and the subs were ripping off the methadone from your receptors. Doing oxy wouldn't have made it better, probably made it worse. The subs "kicking the oxy out" is what makes you feel like shit. Dosing oxy and sub at the same time and whatnot isn't a good idea at all. Ideally when going from methadone to bupe you need to taper down to less than 30mg, wait 3-4 days, then start slowly dosing subs. due to the extreme long half-life of methadone preciptated withdrawals can occur even after 3 days or so, despite being in withdrawal already.

So my plan was get through the first 4-5 days of the methadone withdrawal (75mg daily for 1.5 years, with somedays double dosing and shit) with heroin, then wait about another 24 hours and start the subs. Gonna start at 2mg and titrate up to what i need to be out of w/d, and then do a 2-3 week taper and stop completely.

Luckily I have klonopin, soma, neurontin, seroquel, immodium(loperamide) weed, to help during it.

But anyways, good luck to you with your taper. I hope you succeed, and remember the final goal of being opiate free will be worth it.

I have about 8 Methadone's and I have 4 8mg Suboxone Strips and I have never taken Methadone before and don't know what to expect from it. I don't wanna Relapse again and I always seem to when I start with Subs that's why I wanna try Dome's then taper off and jump in Sub's for a few days. What do Y'all think?? I take close to 300mg Oxy a day and I need to get of em now. It's getting to the point where I run out of my script and need more. A friend swears by Methadone an said he quit by taking methadone and then he went on percacets for like 3-4 days until the methadone was out of his system then jumped on Suboxone for less that 7 days and he'd been clean for over a Yr give or take doing it that way. I just know methadone last a long time and I don't wanna take to much and be really fucked up all day but my friend said the good thi g about Dome's is it gives you a little buzz kinda like a percacet almost and it helps keep and lower your cravings for Oxy's. He said I should take 2 methadone's at a time for my tolerance at least for the first day or 2. I took my last Oxy 30mg at 6:32pm tonight around 6am a good time to take the Dome's?? And what kinda feeling should I expect(lightheadedness, Buzz, relaxed, amped up some kinda how Sub's do.). Also does Methadone lower your tolerance how Suboxone does?? Sorry I have a lot of questions but I get very scared and paranoid when I don't know what to expect from new stuff. I'm still very Paranoid about taking Sub's to early and then go into instant W/D's cause I know 2 people it's happened with and it was BAD. That doesn't happen with Methadone though right?? Also what does would you think would curb a 300mg oxy habit to just feel normal?? If you want PM if you have any insight or help. Thank you guys.

PEACE.

^It's great you are asking a lot of questions, but most, if not ALL of your answers can be found in this mega thread, as well as on this site. As for your method of quitting, in theory it should work, and is infact similar to what I am currently doing at the moment. But going into this, remember there is no free lunch with opiate addiction, and there will be some rough spots, be it in the beginning, middle, or end.

I have been on methadone for over a year and am trying to get off, so I substituted heroin for about 4 days then on day 5 started dosing suboxone, to do a quick taper.

If I were you, I would just skip the methadones, because you have to wait sooo long afterwards until you can take the subs, in order to avoid precipitated withdrawal. That is why I took heroin for a few days after stopping methadone, so I didn't have to wait 4 days of cold turkey methadone withdrawal before starting suboxone. And yes, precipitated withdrawal CAN and WILL happen if you dose your subs too early after taking methadone. I've done it by accident in the past, it was worse than any heroin detox or going through chemo therapy. And I am 100 percent honest.

I would just skip the methadone, or sell them or something. But if you do decide to use them, for your 300mg a day oxy habit, 30-40mg methadone a day should hold you no problem. You don't have to wait to take them after taking oxy, so tomorrow morning should be fine.

Use them up in 2-3 days. Expect typical methadone effects, similar to morphine. Sedation, not so much euphoria, but a good glow. When I was shooting a gram or more of good heroin a day 70mg methadone held me 36 hrs no problem. So for 300mg a day oxy habit you won't need much.

Maybe day 1 take 30mg, day 2 take 20mg, day 3 take 15mg, day 4 take 10, then day 5 take 5.

In all honestly after doing that, you shouldn't even need the suboxone. It would just be pointless because you'd have to wait 2-4 days after the methadone to start taking them, either cold turkey or by taking oxy. But why take more oxy, after you just detoxed with the methadone, just to go back on subs, and taber down again? Doesn't maek any sense.

Moral of the story. Stick with one or the other. 5 day methadone detox should be more than sufficient, with some minor aches/pains and minor symptoms upon stopping. Waiting to get on subs after doign that would be pointless, since you'd already be past the oxy withdrawal.

I appreciate your response seriously I do a lot. Well I just took 2 10mg Methadone's cause I woke up and it's 3am and yesterday I probably took 90mg of Oxy so I guess I'm starting to feel the effects of cutting back. Anyways I decided to take the Dome's just because I never successfully quit with Sub's so I figured Fuck It I'll try them. I'll tell you the best way to quit and I wish I realized it at the time but I went on Vacation with a few friends to Maui in Hawaii for a week and only took Sub's with me and for that entire week I pretty much weaned myself to 2mg a day and the friends I were with knew nothing of the pill thing so I never really thought about cause I was in a new place and the people with me weren't users at all, I wish I could do it again cause when I came home I was clean even off Sub's but sure enough when I came back home within 2-3days I took a Oxy and BOOM everything back to normal. I hope these Methadone's work and stop the cravings and whatnot. How long until I know if 20mg was enough?? I heard they take over a hour to start working sometimes 2hr's even.

^The only criteria for a dose being "enough" is whether or not it is controlling withdrawal and cravings. The former is more important than the latter, but for long-term sustainability, controlling the cravings is important. It really depends on what your intention is. If you just want to get off quickly, I wouldn't worry about cravings... just take enough to not be sick.

If you are wondering if it is working, it surely is. If it wasn't working, you'd be sick and feel it.

I am considering switching from methadone to buprenorphine. In three months I've detoxed very comfortably from 160mg to 40mg. At the next decrease, to 37mg, I suddenly became unbearably dopesick. The dose is now 50mg and I feel fine. Any advice on how to get from 50 to 30 so I can switch? The pain I suffered this weekend at the 37mg dose was beyond endurance. We're moving to a rural county with no clinic within 300 miles which is why I have to get off the methadone.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.