• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the clinic i go to you dont get kicked out for dirty UA's. Ive had over a year of straight dirty UA's. They just dont let you get extra take homes and you have to dose every day.

My plan is to just explain to my doctor everything I just typed out. He is very honest, nice, and I can tell he really just wants to help. So im sure when I explain how im feeling he will put my worries to rest. just wanted to hear from others.

You should do just that. I got lectured at 2 clinics for being reluctant to ask for an increase when I felt that I needed one- while everybody is different, it has been demonstrated that on average, MMT works best at 80-120mg/day. The purpose of MMT is not simply to stop withdrawal syndrome- if it were, very low maintenance doses would be sufficient for most people for that purpose (the earliest MMT clinics had pretty bad patient compliance rates in the early 1960's, when the average daily dose was 30-60mg). You're right; to get the full benefits of Methadone maintenance, the daily dose should keep away any and all withdrawal symptoms, stop opioid drug seeking behavior, end physiological cravings for your opioid drug of choice. A couple articles that back this up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11064485

http://www.drugpolicy.org/docUploads/meth347.pdf

At the clinic i go to you dont get kicked out for dirty UA's. Ive had over a year of straight dirty UA's. They just dont let you get extra take homes and you have to dose every day.

That's news for me no matter if a patient gets methadone for a week or has to come every day. Well then, it'd be really hard to say unless someone's from your state. One thing is sure - they won't kick you out for asking to increase dosage by 10mg.

I used methadone on and off since Fall '07 and I've been on methadone constantly since February '10 (not counting a few binges I've had recently on levorphanol, dihydroheterocodeine, and pentamorphone). I've been through methadone withdrawal, I've taken doses that made me really high. Generally, I know how my body reacts to methadone very well. At dose that just keeps me up I need it to be split, otherwise I'm withdrawing after 16hrs max. Before my last binge on levorphanol I managed to go down to 20mg (I planned tapering down to zero because I'm moving to the UK and I'm not on the program here so I won't be accepted in the UK but I can't get lower than 15mg). 20mg is nothing compared to what I needed right after jumping from some heavy morphine binge.

From my experience there's a dose (that'd be levels of methadone in body fluids) starting from which you stop having days or moments like "I could use a hit". I know I'm now far from such a dose because there's not a single day I don't think about shooting up. Now, you being at 52mg would have a hard time tapering down methadone. It's a drug that may give you a high but it's dull and sedative noddy, nothing like heroin/morphine. But when it comes to quitting it seems like it's even worse because of tapering down which is a must with this drug. It's your decision what you want to do with your life. It's still a chain but if you've got a steady supply of methadone, your program doesn't care what you mix it with, and you're ready to decide on staying on methadone probably forever, I'd say go higher until you stop feeling any urge to use anything i.v. My current weight is 58kg / 127.9lb. It was worse and I guess when I weighted like 50kg, 100mg was a sure dose to prevent me from going back on needle. But I had to taper down every time because methadone costs just like anything for me so I always got back to shooting up until I got tired of it, I guess. Well, I'm tired of life generally now. And actually morphine is cheaper for me around here, 10 20mg/ml is ~ $12 for me and methadone's street price is ~$15 / 100mg for me - and still it's only because I've known the guy for a long time, normally it's even ~$24 for heroin "newbies" with no contacts and the syrup is often mixed with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.