• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so long story short yesterday around 3pm I started feeling a little shitty so I took 2 10mg Methadone's and in about 45min or so I started feeling normal and was happy until I called my friend who had 8 others over there that I had left that I've been meaning to get back so I call and tell him I finally started Methadone and need my other 8 back and he says "Sorry man I took them but I'll find you some.". Well he never did cause no one has them anywhere so I took a total of 3 Methadone by 3pm and it's now 2:30am and don't know what to do. I have a few Suboxone Strips and I wish I would have waited and took those today but I took the Methadone and now I have to wait like 48hr's until it might be safe to dose Suboxone so yeah I'm pretty much fucked. I had about 300mg a day Oxycodone habit give or take and was amped to quit and take Methadone for a week then take a few perc's then go on Suboxone for like 3 days then just bite the bullet and quit but now my plan is shot to shit. I still have some Oxy 30's here and I'm gonna just take them for 2 days and then just go Suboxone but how long do I need to wait until I can feel the effects of Oxy after dosing 30mg of Methadone?? I know I shouldn't take em but I'm not going to wait for 2 days until I can take Suboxone and then feel shitty and not be able to do anything about it.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't leave medication at a friends house who also takes that medication and expect him/her not to take it because they will and you will be F%#KED.<------TRUE STORY.

You think after about 12+ hours I can feel the effects of Oxy??

^Your idea of taking the oxycodone for a few days isn't a bad one. Just wait until you're in full withdrawal from the oxy to take the Suboxone, something like 21-24 hours should be sufficient.

I haven't taken methadone in 8 days now, first 3 or so I just used dope and then jumped on bupe after like 20 hours post heroin use, and now I'm tapering down on bupe, less than 8mg a day. Should finish my taper by the beginning of next week. I had gone from sunday morning til just now with nothing, but broke down and took 4mg of suboxone. Fucking methadone sucks, the withdrawals suck, the clinic sucks, the depression sucks, I am so done with this.

He's right

:)
^ DO NOT listen to that guy. 20 is too much for someone with no opiate tolerance. I'd say starting off with 10 mg is alright, although it affects everyone differently.

My first time, I took 10mg with no tolerance and felt amazing. The next morning I took 10 more and puked for 24 hours. Methadone has a really long half-life, so you just have to be careful about re-dosing. As in, don't, IMO.

I'm a every now and then user of opiates and 4 days ago I got some liquid from my buddy that goes to the clinic I got 100mg bottle from him and 10 mg did me fine. Since I used to be addicted to oxy though I've noticed my tolerance to drugs increases VERY rapidy after and by the time the 100mg bottle was through I would need 20 to 30 to get same feeling but a complete novice may be OK with 10 for a bit

Hi everyone,
I have been in a Suboxone-program for the last 7months, I get 4 Suboxone 8mg / day.
But it ain't holding me so in aprox 5 weeks i will transfer to Methadone-treatment instead.

Here in my country (Swe) you have to be in the hospital for the first weeks (4w to 3months) just because people have died when just given a starting dose.

So I gotta be locked up in the hospital meanwhile they wean me of my 32mg Suboxone and then start with a low dose of Methadone.

My question is, Did anyone of you also got locked in the hospital when you started Methadone treatment?
And you have any tips for stuff to do while in there?

And my last question. what dose of Methadone did you start on and did that dose give you ANY effects? Did you get high? Did you feel nothing?

Thanks!

I think the bill of rights prevents us from being locked up in a hospital, but maybe not. Anyway, the clinic I went to started me at 20mg, going up 5 a day with a "boost" of a 10 one day every week. I felt like shit. I continued to feel like shit until I got to about 60mg, where I felt like shit about 5 hours later. All the way up to 220mg, where I would feel like shit about 10-12 hours later. Then I felt like shit all the way back down to 20mg (did 5mg a day for a week, than 5mg a week detox.) And then I felt like shit for the month I was clean..now I feel like shit whenever I wake up because I take suboxens/heroin daily.

hey guys/gals i have a quick question i wass a heroin addict for 4 years than i went on suboxone for 3.5 years now suboxone was a godsend gave me my energy back no anxiety no depression now im at 1 mg a day and am trying to come off but i get realllyy sickk anxiety depressed and my dr thinks im jus searching more drugs! would it be ok to start methadone to get off sub? or jus suck it up suboxone wd is so long im a quality engineer for boeing i cant walk around sick.

hey guys/gals i have a quick question i wass a heroin addict for 4 years than i went on suboxone for 3.5 years now suboxone was a godsend gave me my energy back no anxiety no depression now im at 1 mg a day and am trying to come off but i get realllyy sickk anxiety depressed and my dr thinks im jus searching more drugs! would it be ok to start methadone to get off sub? or jus suck it up suboxone wd is so long im a quality engineer for boeing i cant walk around sick.

^I would honestly avoid methadone like the plague, if I were in your position. You are already at a pretty small dose of suboxone, I would recommend trying to taper down much more to like .25mg per day, or less. 1mg isn't a huge dose, but bigger than you think and is pretty high to jump off at.

Getting on methadone wouldn't be a good idea, since you would then just be substituting a long-acting full agonist, and it will just jack your tolerance back up, and you'd be worse off than you are now. Not to mention the withdrawals from methadone are worse than suboxone, and last much much longer than heroin withdrawals. I left my meth clinic like 12 days ago at ~70mg daily, cold turkey because i couldn't take the depression and politics of the clinic. Needless to say I am still in moderate withdrawal, approaching two weeks later. Hot/cold sweats, chills, muscle aches/pains, RLS like a banshee, insomnia, extreme anxiety, depression, the whole nine yards.

Your best best is to honestly just taper as low as you can with the suboxone, then jump off at a very small dose. If possible, try to obtain a couple weeks worth of a benzo/sleep aid, loperamide, ibuprofen.. Some stuff to treat the minor symptoms.

If you taper down to .25mg per day or less your withdrawals shouldn't be very severe. A mild-moderate sickness, most likely more of an annoyance/uncomfortable feeling than full blown w/d; but way better than methadone or heroin. You've made it this far, getting back on a full-agonist will just fuck it all up more than likely. Not to mention methadone will more than likely get you high, and give you a taste of the world of heroin you were once involved with. Recipe for trouble.

Best of luck though, if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Mike

I used to sometimes use methadone in between my dilaudid and oxycodone refills last year. For some strange reason, after using it for 2 or 3 days - it started giving me euphoria. I guess it had to "build up" in the blood like phenobarbital does before "feeling good". The last time I used it, the methadone put me on my ass though.

Methadone is a very powerful opioid, I once toke 40mg and feel like I was gonna stop breathing :( It also ruined my veins after IVing them.

I used to sometimes use methadone in between my dilaudid and oxycodone refills last year. For some strange reason, after using it for 2 or 3 days - it started giving me euphoria. I guess it had to "build up" in the blood like phenobarbital does before "feeling good". The last time I used it, the methadone put me on my ass though.

Methadone is a very powerful opioid, I once toke 40mg and feel like I was gonna stop breathing :( It also ruined my veins after IVing them.

Yes, methadone take 2-3 days before it reaches peak plasma levels in the blood. It is a very potent opioid, and many people under-estimate its power. I've seen it put people on their ass a number of times, people with decent heroin habits at the time.

Also, IVing methadone is HORRIBLE for your veins/body. The methadone pills are horrible to IV without a micron filter, and IVing the juice is just plain stupid. Not to mention there is no rush with methadone, and the bio-availability is so high already when taken orally, IV doesn't really have many added benefits.

Yes, methadone take 2-3 days before it reaches peak plasma levels in the blood. It is a very potent opioid, and many people under-estimate its power. I've seen it put people on their ass a number of times, people with decent heroin habits at the time.

Also, IVing methadone is HORRIBLE for your veins/body. The methadone pills are horrible to IV without a micron filter, and IVing the juice is just plain stupid. Not to mention there is no rush with methadone, and the bio-availability is so high already when taken orally, IV doesn't really have many added benefits.

Very true.
Lots of people feel that methadone doesn't instantly "kick in", that it's less of an opioid than the others and re-dose causing an OD. It happened to me the first time using it - I didn't OD, but just didn't get that usual high until days later. Methadone's high is good - I've gotten some good nods off it and it's great for help sleeping, but you just have to be very careful with it.

Yeah, IVing methadone is a dumb idea - I just got needle happy and didn't have anything else at the time - but it DID FRY my veins :(
and it burnt like shit too...

Hey

I have a question, would holding the Methadone in your mouth and keeping it there for some time & maybe slosh it around yield in higher bioavailability or faster absorption ?
(Because it getting absorbed sublingual and such. I know Methadone has a high bio oral - im just curious)

Thanks!

No it won't help... just swallow it... you'll get all the bioavailablity you need. If not ask for higher dose.

No it won't help... just swallow it... you'll get all the bioavailablity you need. If not ask for higher dose.

I agree. Methadone, especially while on maintenance is best if just taken orally, like you're supposed to. If you feel like your dose isn't cutting it, they clinic should have no problem upping your dose a bit.

When I was on MMT, it was when I started trying to potentiate my dose, supplementing with extra benzos, etc, that I started to get on the verge of getting in trouble since the junky inside me was always nudging me to get back on dope.

You should take your dose on an empty stomach. When I was on MMT, in the mornings taking my dose on an empty stomach, I would start feeling it coming on in like 30 minutes.. Especially if I were sick before I dosed, relief was not far away.

Thanks for the replies!
It was just a thought of curiosity.

Im entering Methadone maintenance next week.

I have another question for you all - Why is it that I hear so many getting of MMT all the time - why not run with the program for life?

Here in Sweden people who are on methadone maintenance almost alwats stay on methadone forever. It is really not expected by the programs for people after say 2years have to get of it.

A lot of 30'yo+ do stay with MMT indefinitely especially after getting [in usa] monthly takehomes. Are you saying they only let you stay on for 2 yrs or it takes that long to get off? Do they give you a script or takehomes after your in the program?

Ok i have a question ..

Is it myth or fact that drinking grapefruit juice an hour before taking your methadone will increase the high you get from it ?

If it is true what is it that the grapefruit juice actually does to cause this ?

methadone makes my dad an uncle feel like shit and i don't really care for it because it causes a cross tolerance with other opiate/opioid drugs so i can't get high and it makes me really tired so much so that i have to take a nap every time i take it

Status
Not open for further replies.