• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Methadone Dosage Advice

So I've been clean now for a week and need some advice from anyone who is on methadone cause I actually want to succeed in this program. I started on 15mg and have moved up to 30 mg of liquid methadone in a week, and I don't feel any buzz but I feel alright. Now my question is if I keep moving up will I ever feel the medication? Because I don't want to be on 150mg within a month then be fucked and have to be on methadone forever. So is there such thing as a dose that you can feel and actually get rid of the cravings. Because I feel that I am on a dose that makes me feel normal but if I increase my dose after I feel stable what will happen? IM NOT TRYING TO GET HIGH otherwise I would have increased my dose I just don't want to go up without knowing what will happen, and these are questions that the nurse has not been able to answer for me. Thanks

I don't understand. You want to feel your dose, but not to get high?

Anyways, you can go up and try to get whatever effect you are looking for, but your body will adjust to that before too long and you won't feel whatever it is you're looking for as strong at that dose.

Im just trying to get dosage advice from people who have experience with it. I guess my question is if I up my dose and I do feel it a little will I just get used to it quickly and then it was pointless to increase because I will feel how I did in the first place?

Yeah, it's somewhat difficult understanding exactly what it is you are wanting to know. If you don't feel sick, but don't feel high either, then you are probably at a good dose to stabilize with, or close to it. If you keep raising the dose, not so desirable side effects such as drowsiness may become more pronounced, and the likelyhood of you feeling high will consequently increase as well.

If you feel okay, then you are feeling the Methadone, and it is doing it's job. You should consider staying with the dose you are on for a while, and see how you feel.

Edit: To answer your above question- Probably. Don't raise your dose in the sole interest of catching a buzz. If you want to get high, you shouldn't be on Methadone maintenance.

Methadone does not get you high, especially once your dose is stabalized. I know your not trying to get high. When I first started MMT the first few months a.k.a. the honeymoon period I felt very good and definetly "felt" the methadone, during that period I thought to myself damn this shits legal??Cool because I feel good LOL! I started at 40 mgs. and titrated up to 80 mgs during the first few months. What I was feeling wasn't being High but relief/comfort from being dope sick everyday until I scored, if I could that day, using was a nightmare. Once I got to around 80 mgs. that feeling went away but I was not sick and stable on my dose for 24 hours, it felt great to go to bed and wake up well/stable and not be in withdrawl. To answer your question if your not withdrawling, using, or craving and you feel fine for 24 hours than your dose is doing it's job. Most people need anywhere from 80-120 mgs. of methadone a day, some less and some more. It's probably a good idea to get on a blocking dose so you cant get high even if you try hard, blocking dose is around 70 + mgs. Are you feeling dope sick or craving? I suggest keep going up weekly until you feel comftorable for 24 hours. When you hit the right dose you will know it, I did. If you raise or lower your dose it takes several days to level out and work. Try not to get caught up in numbers or comparing your dose with another patients, thats the wrong way to go about things. Just listen to your body it doesn't lie, you will know when you fell stable. Good Luck and Congratulations

you be fine man... im on 165 mgs and i also take about 20 mgs of ambien, and drink mad beer....as with the ocasional amphetamine binge.

Help! Methadone dosage.

So Ive been clean for 9 days thanks to methadone program. I'm on 30mg (liquid) and feel alright. I have such a low dose because I am nervous about being on it forever, or being too hard to come off. Basically I don't want to be on 150mg and next thing I know it's been five years. So here's my question... I am still craving the drug like mad, and I know that I always will. Though I'm wondering if maybe my does still isn't high enough. Is it more than just feeling alright? I'm not trying to get high Im just trying to stay clean. People say that when you find your right does you will know. Well I don't know... Just need a little advice. If it helps I was using around 100mg of OC give or take, along with every other opiate, fent,opana, hydromorphone, ect.

100mg oc? 30mg of methadone should be MORE than enough to "hold" you if you're not looking to get high or feel any effects from it. However, with some people the methadone to *insert opiate of choice here* conversion can vary.

I had a 2 bundle a day habit and it took me 85mg of methadone daily to hold me (and give me a decent buzz) but I still felt sick at 70mg and up...

to the Methadone Mega Thread.

30mg isn't too much for a tolerant user. I would expect to have cravings for a while.

thats what I thought I took a peak and I had about the lowest does, though most people there are court ordered so they just try to get high off it..

NO SUCH THING!

I went in with a 10mg fentanyl smoked habbit a day started at 15mg/day, which completley balanced me out though I could still use some adjusting (wasn't high but was extremily relieved considering the withdrawls I was experiencing). The next day I got it raised to 30mg which got me so high I was throwing up the whole day...this high continued about 2 weeks and it lasted so long and was so strong that soon methadone came to be one of my favorite opioids.

When I decided to get off methadone, my dose had gone up from 30mg to 205mg/day, sometimes double, or triple dosing (205mg x 2 or 3).

This can happen with buprenorphine as well from what I hear.

YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO WANT TO STOP!

Also like mentioned I second, if 30mg makes you slightly high than 23mg-26mg would probably make you the way you want (not high but remove the cravings). Thing is after a while tolerence will mask the slight opioid relief thus resulting in an increase in dose!

Trust me get off the program and ONLY go when you are determined that you don't want to get high anymore (DO OR DIE kind of thing).............probably the most difficult thing you will ever do. The struggle is on going!

Yeah uhh...you arn't tryin to get high but youare wondering if upping your dose will help you feel it more..

Harley3311 - like the others have said, your post is pretty hard to understand.

It is difficult for me to figure out exactly what it is that you are trying to figure out. But this is what I think; I believe that your dose is too low, because you are still feeling cravings, and having compulsions to use opiates. Therefore you should follow whatever your clinic's procedure is to increase your dose. At my clinic, they call it a "dose evaluation" where you and the medical providor sit down and discuss why the current dose isn't working for you, then he or she makes a decision whether or not to up the dose, or to make you stay where you're at.

The point of a methadone program for a former opiate addict is to help releive their WD symptoms. If you were a opiate addict of any kind you likely will not feel anything close to a high from methadone. The first time I got reaL high was from methadone, but I had no tolerance to opiates in my whole life.

To guess at what kind of methadone dose you would need to help you feel better we would have to know what kind of addkict you were, how much of what drug you were using. Some heavy addicts do need doses such as 150mg's or even higher to help with their WD. In a methadone program I think they start you at a low dose and gradually raise it until the right dose is found, but Im not really sure.

hey whats going good guys?? Thanks alot for all the positive replies I got a couple pages back, I just now read them.... I put that up like a week after I started my MMT program.... Its now march the 7th so im currently on my way to 2 months in MMT.... Im still loving how my life is going now... I have my life back, not a slave to heroin anymore. I have hobbies once again, and im looking good and feeling good. Im currently on 95Mg's. I too am having the problem of when I dose in the morning around 9am everyday, for like 4 hours afterwards I feel "happy" and kinda good and motivated to work and get things done. Just basically NO withdrawals and feel nice. Then around maybe 4-5 Pm that same day, it wears off and I kinda start getting a runny nose.... and some anxiety. Then when I go to sleep, EVERY morning I wake up with very very achey joints and feel kinda crappy in the morning like im starting to withdrawal...BUT nothing too serious. Def not full blown withdrawal, just the very early stages of it.... Its starting to get better since I have been going up on my dose again. But they just started were if you are above 80MG's, that you can only go up by 5Mg's once a week.... pretty lame... But im going to go up 5 more this wednesday to 100MG's and see how it feels... I was told that the counselor thinks that once you hit 100MG's and want to go up, that you have to have a blood test done.... Im guessing this is that "peak and trough" test. But she isn't certain so I will have to find out if once I go up to 100MG's if its not holding me over in the afternoon/evening.... Does this sound like I should keep going up on my dose, or does it sound like im metabolising my methadone too quickly? im a pretty skinny guy, and have always had a really high and fast metabolism... Could always metabolize weed very quickly out of my system, and pass a drug test after HEAVY use within like 5 days.... But MMT is going great guys!!! best decision I have made in the past 5 years was to get on some type of maintenance program!!! I know I have knocked suboxone alot on this forum, but suboxone was a great thing also! I wouldn't mind still being on suboxone if it wasn't so expensive... But methadone is the better drug for me for cravings.

Doing great here in OKC! how about you guys?

Matt

first time methadone, good starting dose?

Hey,
i acquired one 40mg pill of methadone and would like to know what is a good starting dose for a opiate naive person. only tried kratom DHC and Buperenorphine.
~0,5mg of bupe through the nose was absolutely enough for me ;)

i tought of trying 10mg.

suggestions?

thx

Last edited:
they start addicts at 30mg.. 10 or 20 would be a good starting point.. dont be suprised if you dont feel anything for 4+ hours, dont take more.. easy to OD.. dont take benzos.. etc..

I don't know where my post went, but this is what I said:

10mg will definitely leave you nodding if you are opiate naive. Methadone has a high bioavailability. I would try 5mg to start, and remember to wait 1-2 hours for it to kick in as it has a longer half-life than most pills. Try 5mg first, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.