• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Yeah, if you have DHC at your disposal, why not use it to your advantage!? ;) It will certainly help make the transition between the two easier, or even to just taper off the methadone with. Either way, it has potential to help with transitioning off methadone substantially.

With DHC, you will want to spread out your dose throughout the day because the drug wears off much faster than methadone does. DHC isn't really available here in the USA, but I was addicted to hydrocodone/ oxycodone, and I know that withdrawal comes within the same day if you only take one dose. I can't comment on the relative dose between the two drugs since I've never tried DHC, but you should be able to figure out very quickly from your first dose if you need a little more or not.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Just take enough during the day (and night) to keep you feeling well.

The first couple days are a little stressfull, after that its a walk in the park.

But when you switch over to bupe - you will be SO glad you did it. It makes the switch painless (well it has for me every time I did it like that).

In you guys opinion what would be the most painless option:

1) Switch to DHC/Codiene for 7 days, then switch to Subutex and detox from that in 30 to 60 days

2) Switch to a stable dose of DHC/Codiene for 30 days, then 2 weeks tapering down on it. Then cold turkey it with the aid of some benzos, lofexidine, etc.

Am I right in thinking the withdrawal process from DHC/codiene is likely to take about 5 - 7 days?

Bear in mind, I'm not particularly interested in 'maintenence' any more. I feel I have tackled that side of things now and really want to be 100% clean. So, with the option of subutex, I am considering the fact that it is apparently quite easy to come off, rather than its maintenence/no cravings aspect.

Last edited:
^In your case, 2. I'd only get on bupe if you're planning to maintain on it for awhile. For making a taper painless, shorter acting and less potent opiates like DHC are perfect. Kratom is what I used, but they all will work well.

^In your case, 2. I'd only get on bupe if you're planning to maintain on it for awhile. For making a taper painless, shorter acting and less potent opiates like DHC are perfect. Kratom is what I used, but they all will work well.

Kratom while tapering off an opiate, or solely Kratom? I am going to try and buy some Kratom for when the eventual cold turkey day comes!

P.S. Sorry I know it's a touchy subject as everyone is different etc. But looking at the general opiate conversion charts it seems 1mg methadone is equivilent to 10mg codiene. However the, limited, details about equivilency to DHC seems like it is 1mg methadone to 12.5-15mg DHC. Does that seem accurate?

Would be good if I could find some info on DHC equivilency, anyone got any links or info?

^ I wouldn't get so wrapped up in conversion ratios/charts.

Just take what you need to keep you settled.Thats all that really matters.

You should find that after a few days you will need less and less.

Then when you feel ready (give it a good 5-7 days for the meth to come out your system though), wait until you are sick and switch to bupe. You should find it a lot less traumatic then switching from a "harder" opiate to sub.

Good luck.!

I don't know what happened to my reply, but I basically said that I used kratom to come of bupe maintenance, and that most equivalencies give DHC as being a bit stronger or at least as strong as codeine, so the ratio you gave seems a bit off in that respect. 808's advice above about just finding the proper dose through experimentation is the best way to go about this though, IMO.

^Thanks for your help mate.

On raising the dose, I really wanna get off this stuff for good within the next month. So the idea of raising it just seems like it will make it worse in the future.

I was dead set on switching to subutex, but I've been having second thoughts considering i'd have to go 48hrs to 72hrs with nothing before the switch. People on here suggested a short acting opiate in between, but i can't get my hands on anythng and the doc is unwilling to help in that respect. And I definately dont wanna use junk as i know too well how that will end up..

hmm, i really really dont know what to do. Would love to get funding for a rapid naltrexone/sedated detox, fingers crossed.

anyway we'll see..

cheers for ur help

Honestly, if you get low enough on your methadone dose, and you wait at leats 2, 2 and a half days, and are in horrid enough WD, you may just be able to switch over no problem.

Plus the switch is worth it, buprenorphine is a great drug. :)

Rapid detox IMO is a scam, I have yet to hear anything good about it.

Long term naltrexone implant is another thing, someone has said something good about that, and someone else used oral naltrexone to effect. but "rapid detox" = scam IMO. Recovery takes time.

Got lots of meetings tomorow, seeing my GP, key worker, methadone/subutex doc all in one day. Plus tonight I doubt I'll be able to sleep, so lots of time to think about it all.

If i do decide to switch to DHC, i'll start with a 32 pack of paramol (cwe) spread through the day and see how it goes.

CH, the rapid detox's i were looking at were:

http://www.detox5.co.uk/Home.html

http://www.staplefordcentre.com/Rapid_Detox.html

Personally, think they look quite good. But like you say I'm yet to hear any good experiences (or any for that matter!) yet.

I

^ I've heard mixed reports about Detox5.

Though from what I gather they have improved a LOT over the years.

Is the stapleford centre the one in London?

I was looking into this type of treatment a while back, and found a centre in London (where you are) that was cheaper than Detox 5 (and not the other side of the country).

Also, Have you ever tried to CWE Paramol before? Because i can tell you now, they are a BITCH to filter nicely. Make sure you start the process WAY WAY ahead of when its actually needed, and keep everything super-cold. They take a very long time to filter.

Its probably a better idea to ask your GP if they would be willing to prescribe you DHC/Codeine for a few days ratehr than bother with Paramol..

^ I've heard mixed reports about Detox5.

Though from what I gather they have improved a LOT over the years.

Is the stapleford centre the one in London?

I was looking into this type of treatment a while back, and found a centre in London (where you are) that was cheaper than Detox 5 (and not the other side of the country).

Also, Have you ever tried to CWE Paramol before? Because i can tell you now, they are a BITCH to filter nicely. Make sure you start the process WAY WAY ahead of when its actually needed, and keep everything super-cold. They take a very long time to filter.

Its probably a better idea to ask your GP if they would be willing to prescribe you DHC/Codeine for a few days ratehr than bother with Paramol..

Stapleford is based in London, but, included in the costs, they fly you out to Portugal or Lithuania. Tbh, I think that makes the whole process seem a lot more desirable.

Yeah going to ask the doc tomorow, will see how it goes. Otherwise, yeah I have CWE paramol before. Normally leave it filtering overnight, then come back and all the paracetamol has dried up and got a nice little mixture. But yeah I agree would be MUCH much better if i could just get prescribed like 60mg a day X4 from the GP, straight tabs.

Where r u based? London? im from Kingston, but back at parents in Suffolk atm.

Last edited:
Using on Methadone

Hi!

Im currently on methadone (60mgs) and wanting to use occasionally, but i have been led to believe it is particularly easy to OD in doing so.

Just missing a dose isnt really an option. as it is part of my bail conditions and i obviously dont want to fuck that up. So i have just been trying to wait as close to 24hrs as possible...but i still havent been getting where i wanna be (on 2 sydney caps). Im wanting to try shooting 3 but am a bit concerned about the possibility of ODing, however, i just wanted to ask this as im a tad confused:

If 2 caps doesnt effect me enough is it safe to assume i would be fine with 3? Like as much as i hear about using on 'done being dangerous...isnt the danger pretty much negated by the fact that i take my methadone dose daily and have enough of a tolerance to it that it doesn't effect me in the slightest (ie. it is 'normal' for my body to have that dose in it). Before going on done i could happily shoot like 3/4 caps in one go (more over the course of a day)? I suppose i want to know if my tolerance would have been raised enough by the done to use on top of it (enough to get an effect) or would the combination of the two kind of add up to bigger than the sum of all parts.

Also i generally have to use anywhere from about 5-2hrs before dosing done again if that affects anything.

Cheers!

:)

Usually most people simply cannot achieve a high when they use opiates on top of their daily MMT dose. The methadone blocks the other opiates from binding to the receptors , somehow , I really don't know the technical explanation of why you can't get high when you're on MMT, but you can't. I've tried. Many times.

I would like to suggest that you talk to your methadone treatment counselor about raising your dose if you are feeling compelled to use and get high. This means your MMT dose isn't high enough. You shouldn't be having these cravings to use. It's a sign of being under-dosed.

Good luck my friend ;)

I am under the impression that even though you don't feel a two cap shot, you are still two caps closer to overdosing. With methadone / suboxone maintenance, it is a concern when one uses on top of their maint. dose seeing as they can't ''feel'' the high, but they are still pushing the limits of what their body can handle. Be careful. Just because you cannot feel the substance, does not mean it isn't doing anything to your body.

As suggested above, it would probably be best to exercise a little more will power, along with a dose increase, in an attempt to quit using outside of your maintence program all together.

Cy

Cyb, this is true. OP, even more reason to be careful when playing with fire; you just might get burnt....or dead. seriously though, try not to use other opiates on top of your MMT dose. Like i said, talk to your counselor about a dose increase.

+1 cyb.

it's a matter of tapering below the level(or as close to nothing as possible) that's causing the blockade so you can at least get some gauge of what the other drugs are doing.

ultimately if you're going to want to have some fun every now and then and want to continue maintenance i would aim to swap over to bupe, imo. i'm not sure of your stance of bupe though, just something to consider because it's eaiser to taper up and down.

be careful.

i'll merge this into the mega thread now.

ughblehgheblehhh
i was a tard the other day and was on xanax and drinking, then with no opiate tolerance popped 10mg methadone, then 10 more, this was thurs 6am and its sat 12pm and my stomache is STILL jacked the fuck up. Im lucky I didnt OD, i had prob 4mg of xanax thruout the day then drank and did this shit, pukefest 2010 time if my life

^Yeah man, glad to hear you are okay and learned your lesson. That is about the most dangerous combination you could take, and your doses weren't exactly small either!

Hey, so, I recently signed up and happened to have a question I figure you folks will probably at least be able to enlighten me a bit regarding it. So, SWIM takes some PKs a decent amount, about 120mg or so of morph sulfate a day. SWIM came across five methadone 10mg, and reading this thread, he's determined that about two of them should be a good dose for one day. SWIM wanted to be sure, though, that this would be enough, or should he take 2.5 one day, (he also has some MS left, so he can switch....and, they can take days off without it being pure hell...and even when it is kind of bad, they don't mind because its just that much better when they go back to it) and then do the other 2.5 at a later date? or should he take 2, and save the other three for a day or two later? This is purely recreational, btw. He'd like to have the correct dose at the beginning, so that he doesn't have to play the game of redosing with m'done, as he's heard that can be dangerous. Thanks in advance guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.