• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ You don't need to SWIM here, there's no water in the pool. And for your question, if you take around 120mg of morphine every day, 20mg of methadone is enough. And be careful, as methadone takes a long time to kick in, about 2 or even 3 hours. As for redosing, you can, because of the long half-life of methadone, so you won't waste some if you redose 4 hours after. Just don't take your 50mg within 24 hours.

^Good advice, I agree that 20mg would be plenty. You may even want to start at 15mg and see how that works for you to begin with and take another 5mg if needed. The half-life is so long, it won't matter at all if you stagger the dose! If 15mg is plenty, then you have the added bonus of potentially three doses instead of two! ;)

new to methadone. Questions.

I'm brand new to the methadone process. After struggling with a heroin/crack addiction on and off again for 5 years now, that has lead me into a life on the street filled with prostitution and the same old hell, I decided to look for an alternative. I was recently on suboxone for a year, and was clean, but relapsed. I never weaned down from my 8mg/day on suboxone when I relapsed on heroin. So when I tried to go from shooting $200 of heroin a day back to suboxone and detox once again the suboxone did NOTHING for my withdrawals. Jimmy legs still in full effect, the whole nine yards, so I aborted the suboxone detox route and went back to blow. Until now, the law and the street life was taking a huge toll on my life. The stress and drama was getting to me, cutting to the core.

I've been on methadone for a month now. I'm on 90mg. I've got a few questions.
1) I have hep c and my liver enzymes are ALL fucked up. I am EXHAUSTED all day (but especially from 2:30pm to 7:00pm.) Is this from the methadone or the hep c, or a mixture of both?
2) I am incredibly unmotivated. Is this normal? I basically don't want to do ANYTHING AT ALL.
3) My legs ache at night. any correalations?
4) my cravings to do blow are still very great. Should I increase my dose of methadone?

Basically I am so isolated and depressed lately, but still very grateful to be off the streets. I'm still terrified at the thought of detox and withdrawaling. Esp. without the comfort of knowing that suboxone will help now. It's torture.

Any responses and thoughts welcome. Thank you and best wishes.

hey, first of all...thanks a lot for the timely responses! That's one reason I joined...you guys are on the ball with info. I actually was thinking about trying the 15 mg route, and good point on the potential three doses too haha.
in regards to emily...I'm not incredibly familiar with the symptoms of Hep C but those you listed sound extremely similar to what you would experience from withdrawal. The exhaustion and being unmotivated probably are just working with each other and making it seem worse. The best thing for that is to find a hobby/interest, but it's gotta be something that REALLY interests you because the point is to take your mind off of the whole situation. For me, being outdoors when it's nice out is the key, or reading spiritual stuff sometimes(mainly buddhism). The sore legs is something I've noticed when first coming off of opiates, it seems to kind of emanate from my lower back into my upper legs/hips. The only thing I've been able to do is again, get your mind off of it, and it seems to make the waiting for it to go away a whole lot easier/quicker. Regardless, if the life you were living was taking that much of a toll on you, and you're truly happy to be out of it, these things should me trivial. The methadone should help with the cravings, but beware because I've heard that the WDs from it can be harder than from H itself, so tapering off is a common method of getting off of M-Done. Honestly, you say you're terrified of the WDs and detoxing, but that just makes it worse. The hardest thing to do, but one of the most helpful, is not thinking about it! WDs are bad enough physically, just get some aleve and immodium AD and you can make it through the worst of those symptoms though. The mental battle is the one that will either make WDs hell or just another part of addiction(personally, I make myself detox at least once every couple weeks, even if only for 5 days or so).

Yeah it's true. I continued a living hell because I was afraid of the physical detox, and my addiction kept me in that lifestyle. Sometimes I get mad at myself. I've quite and detoxed off of large amounts of heroin before. Have I become a major pussy? You are totally right though the things that drive me crazy these days are downright trivial to the pain i used to put myself through on a daily basis. Thanks for reminding me, and best wishes to you

hey no problem. If you ever need someone to vent to, or just chat with about stuff, feel free to hit me up. I'm always there for another person in need, because there always seems to be someone when I need it, so I never mind helping others out.
edit: Oh, and don't be mad at yourself! It can happen to anyone, it's easy to lose yourself and forget about how things are in comparison to everything else, because a lot of the time there is nothing else when you're addicted. It doesn't make you a pussy at all, but just makes you human---we're all flawed. Just keep reminding yourself of how strong you are(especially if you've gotten of large amounts before).

Honestly, the things you've mentioned are the main reason I make myself not do anything at least once every couple weeks. It really sucks, but it definitely helps keep it in check so much, and I recommend doing it to anyone who is at a point where they can detox at least a little every 10-14 days. It does wonders for the mind, to have a little bit of sobriety every now and again. It makes it wonderful when you get back to your intoxicant of choice. And, doing it controlled this way, knowing you've got something there waiting for you when you decide to finally get high again, makes it so much easier to bear the wait, because it's not the way most people are forced to wait, anxiously wondering when(if?) their next score will be, when their guy will be back in stock, etc. But, you have to set a goal(2 days, 3 days clean? Just long enough to be over WDs? Set a goal, prepare for it--aspirin, immodium AD, good tissues, good music, good food, etc-- and go for it), because if you don't, I promise that within a day or so you'll be telling yourself "it's been long enough" and you'll be chomping at the bit to get back to it. If you can train yourself to do this and make it through, you'll find that you don't even need maintenance(though, I'm not by any means trying to downplay its importance or necessity for some people)---If you absolutely can't do it, there's always maintenance to fall back on, if you do do it, you'll feel like one bad ass mother fucker that's for sure. Also, if your WDs are so bad that you are feeling really dangerously ill, get help! I'm not advocating putting yourself in danger.

Sorry to get off topic. As for the m'done, I started with the 15mg's and t+2.00 hours I'm feeling a bit but not floored or anything, just a slight buzz(smoking a bit of chronic too, so obviously any effects will be enhanced). Thinking about taking the other half pill(5 mg's), should I wait a full 4 hours? I'm def gonna wait at least 30-45 more minutes, but since I'll have to wait another 2 hours or so for whatever I take to kick in, I hate to let too much time pass(not as much as I would hate to OD though ya know).

1rst time i took done 10mg had my nodin and flyin all dayand night. the next day i was sick as a dog. at that time i needed 100mg of norco to get high. now i need 5or 6 4mg hydromorphone pills to git off, or 50to 60mg of done you do the math

^For future reference, if you're pretty sure that you did post something and it's not showing, just refresh the page and it will show up almost always.

At my clinic we have this stupidass "benzo protocol" if you test positive for benzos your dose gets lowered by 10% and you get 5mg decrease weekly until you produce a UA that is negative for benzos. In my opinion this is complete and utter bullshi*. I've been with my current clinic for six months and I have never had a dirty UA, never missed an appointment and I've never done anything against the rules. So, yeah, I slipped up and took a valium and it ended up in my UA. Now my dose gets lowered potentially causing me to use street drugs/other opiates/diverted methadone to make up for the lowered dose. I just don't get how the administrators in my clinic think this "protocol" will HELP the situation! If anything its going to cause more people to relapse, encourage diversion, and cause people benzos or other medications that potentiate their daily dose. Rant over.

^It's only a 5mg decrease... It'll be out of your system enough to pass the test in no time since you only took it once (unless you keep taking benzos and failing).

No first they decrease your dose by 10%, then 5mg every week until you pass (no benzos). The thing is, they don't have to UA you right away, you could wait 3 4 5 weeks.... I guess its not as bad as it could be, but my dose is being lowered considerably

^The place I went, they tested you regularly once you failed for benzos until it cleared up. I don't imagine they will keep lowering your dose without testing you further to see if you're clean... It would not be in their best interest for you to lower your dose considerably! ;)

^Yeah man, glad to hear you are okay and learned your lesson. That is about the most dangerous combination you could take, and your doses weren't exactly small either!

yeah me too man, i got home around 8am, dont remember that day as i spent it in bed or puking, the next day in bed and puking, then the next day just feeling shitty, and the next day kinda shitty. Now i remember why i dont take xanax often... I remember being xanied out, hotel room shindig n drinkin, walkin out to find drugs at 2 am and coming across a black girel with percs, brought her back bought the percs, and my ass drives her to her car about 20 mins away, took me 4 hours to get back to the hotel (kinda new to the area) and she gave me methaodne to drive her, and popped 2 on the ride home i remember bits and pieces, my buddy said i was puking in and out his car when he was driving me home. im so lucky on so many counts, didnt get pulled over, kill anyone, arrested, died shit! I do remember seeing 2 cops tho as i was driving so i guess i wasnt reckless... and this town is bAD for DUIs and shit. i feel like an idiot! Be careful kids!

^ You don't need to SWIM here, there's no water in the pool. And for your question, if you take around 120mg of morphine every day, 20mg of methadone is enough. And be careful, as methadone takes a long time to kick in, about 2 or even 3 hours. As for redosing, you can, because of the long half-life of methadone, so you won't waste some if you redose 4 hours after. Just don't take your 50mg within 24 hours.

^
lol this aint drug forum

Last edited:
Hey what's up thelung I hate to tell you but Valium (diazepam) is the longest lasting benzo on the market sometimes they wont clear your pee for up to a month. But since you only took one it should clear in 5-10 days maximum. Good luck dude, I know benzos can be a bitch and addictive as all hell sometimes. -Peace

methadone mega thread. thought id ask a question? What do most clinics give oral solution or pills. any clue

methadone mega thread. thought id ask a question? What do most clinics give oral solution or pills. any clue

Basically everything I've read, and from my experience in going to the clinic, they give you the oral solution. The pills are typically prescribed for pain management.

Its MethaDose....either the syrup or the wafers and pills (these are different than those dispensed by pharmacies and hospitals). At the clinic I used, they used to have to mix the wafers with water before dispensing them. Following the '02 legislation, take-homes were given out dry, in separate bottles for each day. What was given at the clinic was always dissolved. The MethaDose products are supposed to be formulated to deter IV use.

I'm fairly certain that this is a safe combo but as this is a harm reduction (etc) site I feel I should ask: would it be safe for me to mix my methadone (30mg) with a 'normal' dose of nyquil? I did a google search and checked interactions that are/aren't safe and it SEEMS that it should be fine. However, cold meds weren't specifically listed.

This isn't to get 'extra' messed up. I actually woke up with a horrible sinus infection today and I can't breathe. In other words, I need to sleep. The methadone I'm taking for my withdrawals. Any insight is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.