• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Health trivia: Did you know? (Add yours)

Its irrelevant whether its disregarded as important or the opposite:it's only up to you how you live your life.

Did you know scientists know less about the human brain than they do about our solar system

thats pretty sad. but good, because i wanna be a neurologist so that means theres more for me to discover :D

did you know: sunlight exposure increases serotonin levels?

Researchers found that regardless of the season, the turnover of serotonin in the brain was affected by the amount of sunlight on any given day. And the levels of serotonin were higher on bright days than on overcast or cloudy ones. In fact, the rate of serotonin production in the brain was directly related to the duration of bright sunlight

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20021205/unraveling-suns-role-in-depression

@addictivepersona: thanks for the PM about bumping old threads, my bad haha;)

did you know: sunlight exposure increases serotonin levels?

It also gives you energy and vitamin d

And I'm pretty sure that study focuses more on nice weather and surroundings increasing ones mood as opposed to receiving energy from direct sunlight

your body takes twice aslong to digest food while you are sleeping than it does while you are awake. an empty stomach is just as bad for interupting sleep as a full stomach.

Did you know that Resveratrol is a naturally occuring "healthy" component in red wine and is available as a supplement in capsule form. It is an antioxidant and thought to be a key substance responsible for the "French Paradox." Some claim it is a life extender. GlaxoSmithKline(GSK) purchased a company called Sirtris in 2008 in an effort to jumpstart the development of synthetic forms of resveratrol which would be patentable and thusly, profitable. These chemicals act on SIRT1 protiens...the same ones responsible for increased longevity through caloric restriction. Here's the Wiki link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

Okay healthy trivia eh hmm...

Did you know that eating asparagus causes your urine to have a strong pungent aroma, but only about 1/4 of the human population has the ability to actually smell the odor? So even if you are one of the lucky 75% who don't smell a thing please be sure to flush just in case I happen to be going in after you because yes it does stink.* ;)

*different studies have actually shown different results on whether everyone produces the smell or just the majority of the population.

^It's hilarious when there are non smellers who you tell about it and who have never even heard of it before. Difficult to convince some people that it is actually true :)

Okay here is another. About 10k years ago or so everyone had brown eyes. Then one single ancestor had the gene mutate to produce blue eyes as opposed to brown eyes. Since Blue is recessive to Brown he/she would have had still had brown eyes as would direct offspring, but some of those children would be carrying the recessive Blue gene. Finally generations later some of the original mutant's great great grandchildren bumped uglies and the first blue eyes people were born.

Long story short, every person who has Blue eyes is family and decent of one mutant who lived several millennia ago.

Did you know that eating asparagus causes your urine to have a strong pungent aroma, but only about 1/4 of the human population has the ability to actually smell the odor?
Interesting! This explains why in a food class I took, when the professor was talking about why asparagus makes your pee smell, a couple people were like "huh durr waat?"

About 10k years ago or so everyone had brown eyes. Then one single ancestor had the gene mutate to produce blue eyes as opposed to brown eyes. Since Blue is recessive to Brown he/she would have had still had brown eyes as would direct offspring, but some of those children would be carrying the recessive Blue gene. Finally generations later some of the original mutant's great great grandchildren bumped uglies and the first blue eyes people were born.

Long story short, every person who has Blue eyes is family and decent of one mutant who lived several millennia ago.
Where'd you hear that one?

^An article I read. I think people's digest. Let me find a source fo ya. The main point is though that it's not an evolutionary adaptation by a certain group over tens of thousands of years but a more recent and sudden change.

edit: don't judge me I'm not from the states but it's the first one that came up.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html

I'm done being overly critical on the "facts" people post here--Unless they're totally off the wall outrageous. 8(

I asked because I had heard the same thing, but the person I heard it from heard it from somebody who heard it from somebody who ... yeah, you get it.

So where do green eyes come from?
It's the same thing. I think blue eyes has to do with a switch a certain distance from albinoism so that we don't go completely white just the eyes blue. I don't have time to look it up in any more detail at the moment.

While I was skimming the article it did say that after the initial mutation the population concentration showed there actually was some selectivity in certain environments for blue. Didn't see if they knew exactly why or not though.

Did you know that artificial sweeteners such as splenda are excitotoxins? <-- which is bad

is there a thread on splenda? theres gotta be, but i cant find it :(

why would someones skin randomly, and distinctively smell very strong of copper and lead?
along with the taste in mouth ...

its been around four months, it will last for an hour or so, or a week or two at times.
its really getting old, ive explained this over and over to my doctorS... it sounds nutty i guess - im sick for life and i do not care anymore, BUT i would like some explanation or educated guess at least for shits and giggles i suppose.

just maaaybe I can do something about it .

Did you know that artificial sweeteners such as splenda are excitotoxins? <-- which is bad

is there a thread on splenda? theres gotta be, but i cant find it :(

Search for "artificial sweeteners" without the quotes in the HL forum search--You're bound to find something. I know there is a thread, somewhere, but I forgot the keywords and am way too lazy to help you look at the moment to be honest. :p

^i searched it and i couldnt find anything worth bumping.

but ill admit i learned a shitton of info about aspartame :D