• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Health trivia: Did you know? (Add yours)

^over a lifetime the body generates more than an atomic bomb

Did you know were the only 2 people keeping this thread alive?

small fish such as sardines and anchovies have much less toxin content than bigger fish like tuna, and are much safer as well as more healthful to eat--more omega 3s too. Eat up!

^^your staring into the biggest source of information on this planet...u could always just look something up

although somehow I feel as if it takes away from the thread somewhat

I hope this thread doesn't die it's been my favorite so far

Did you know you burn about 50 calories walking up the stairs for five minutes? Ahaha, even when I was going up six flights every Tues and Thurs, it never took me five minutes to go up 'em. I know this fact because it was posted on the walls of a couple of the stairwells at the hospital. :p

If you eat alot of chilli's w/o cutting the seeds out (chilli seeds do not breakdown, at all) the seeds will eventually collect inside of your appendix, potentially causing it to burst.

Before I learned that fact (physically first hand, from a friend) -
If you eat enough Serrano peppers (cut those seeds out) !!!
they release the chemical make-up in your brain as cocaine.

Honey is the ultimate antiseptic It never goes bad (It just crystalizes)
If you cover an open wound with it (in an emergancy) it will protect it-
100% ,from any bacteria

Last edited:
^ The appendix is an accessory organ/gland, not one food actually passes through--Are you sure you're not referring to seeds getting stuck in the diverticula of the small intestines? Seeds getting stuck there can cause diverticulitis/diverticulisis/alwaysgetthetermswrong.

I always thought the teflon thing was an urban legend...

Burnt teflon & burnt aluminum (smoke) will kill a large bird, can you imagine what it does to our lungs ?

Did you know that Resveratrol is a naturally occuring "healthy" component in red wine and is available as a supplement in capsule form. It is an antioxidant and thought to be a key substance responsible for the "French Paradox." Some claim it is a life extender. GlaxoSmithKline(GSK) purchased a company called Sirtris in 2008 in an effort to jumpstart the development of synthetic forms of resveratrol which would be patentable and thusly, profitable. These chemicals act on SIRT1 protiens...the same ones responsible for increased longevity through caloric restriction. Here's the Wiki link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

A pharmacutical company patenting something that could be potentially - profitable ???
You've got to be joking....

I'm done being overly critical on the "facts" people post here--Unless they're totally off the wall outrageous. 8(

I asked because I had heard the same thing, but the person I heard it from heard it from somebody who heard it from somebody who ... yeah, you get it.

Hey, Isnt that an REO Snivelwagon song ?

So where do green eyes come from?

The first Jamaican Sinsemilla farmers.

why would someones skin randomly, and distinctively smell very strong of copper and lead?
along with the taste in mouth ...

its been around four months, it will last for an hour or so, or a week or two at times.
its really getting old, ive explained this over and over to my doctorS... it sounds nutty i guess - im sick for life and i do not care anymore, BUT i would like some explanation or educated guess at least for shits and giggles i suppose.

just maaaybe I can do something about it .

When you are around dogs, and they spend a minute sniffing/licking you're skin then look you in the eye, it could be a good indication something is physically wrong

^^did you know that milk is 90% water

And it is also 100% cow phlegm...

Last edited by a moderator:
^what happens if your cat does so, and then looks disgusted and startled to then run off.?

i would suppose thats true, but thats what they do for many reasons, like feed me!

why would someones skin randomly, and distinctively smell very strong of copper and lead?
along with the taste in mouth ...

its been around four months, it will last for an hour or so, or a week or two at times.
its really getting old, ive explained this over and over to my doctorS... it sounds nutty i guess - im sick for life and i do not care anymore, BUT i would like some explanation or educated guess at least for shits and giggles i suppose.

just maaaybe I can do something about it .

I could've sworn I saw an episode of house where this was a symptom...the person died

That last part was a lie I don't remember what it was about

lol

well, im sure they did die, as it is the only guarantee in life -
;-)

... and not every-one may have the privilege to know how.

Did you know

Pizza originated in Greece. It comes from the word pita which is a Greek bread

Cheesecake was served to the athletes at the first Olympic games in Greece

trivia:

women are more likely to have autoimmune thyroid problems than men.

Toxic beryllium used to be called "glucinium" because it tasted like sugar (glucose), back when chemists tasted everything they made.

Every molecule of nutrasweet is broken down into one molecule of methanol in the body. Methanol can be toxic in large doses, but we also get a lot of it in fruits and other foods.

Splenda has a structure like sugar, but has a bunch of chlorines in place of hydroxyl groups... as a chemist that scares the crap out of me, since usually chlorinated organic compounds are carcinogenic.

"Tannins" in tea and other plants (grapes, etc) are called such because the "tannins" from oak trees used to be used to tan leather.

Arsenic is toxic, but chicken that are fed food with a complete lack of arsenic in it don't grow properly. We still don't know what the function of the very trace amounts of arsenic are that are needed for growth.

Mercury, a toxic metal, used to be used in many many medicines. Some traditional chinese medicines still have mercury as ingredients. Mercury was used in gold-mining, so mercury pollution is common in parts of california, alaska, and brazil.

Ok, one more...

Lead is toxic, but was used for plumbing in ancient times (hence the chemical symbol, Pb, for "plumbum" in latin). Romans would add Lead acetate to their wine because it was sweet. They would get it by boiling vinegar (dilute acetic acid) down in lead containers. The fall of Rome may be partially due to Lead poisoning of the ruling class, leading to sickness and insanity. Lead is in most soils next to roads because tetraethyllead was in all the gasoline as a anti-knocking agent (hence we now use "unleaded" gasoline). Lead oxide is a very white pigment and was used in most white paint prior to the 1970s (Dont lick your walls!).

SCIENCE!

^noice noice.

did you know:

St. Johns Wort has been shown to upregulate 5HT receptors, which is why some people use it to regain the magic of MDMA.

Did you know:

Only 1/10 children and teens eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

Okay healthy trivia eh hmm...

Did you know that eating asparagus causes your urine to have a strong pungent aroma, but only about 1/4 of the human population has the ability to actually smell the odor?

This is really interesting. I definitely smell the odour. I wonder what, if any, traits correlate with having the asparagus-smelling-gene.

Also, I find it kind of odd that so many people know about the asparagus-pee-smell thing. For instance, in the 3rd Austin Powers movie there is a scene where Austin is eating asparagus while peeing, and he turns his nose up, visually turned off by the smell of his asparagus filled urine.

Well, now I understand why every time I tell someone asparagus reminds me of really bad smelling pee, they look at me like I've been smoking a bowl.

The human liver can produce one liter of bile a day.

95% of bile salts are re-used.

Bile helps create micelles of fat, so that there is more surface area for enzymes to break down the triglycerides in fat an metabolize them.

Bile helps absoption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, E)

Bile acids are made in the body from cholesterol, and an excess of them will down-regulate the enzymes that cholesterol into bile acids.

Some cholesterol medications are drugs that remove bile acids from the body... your body reacts by making more bile acids from cholesterol, thus reducing the total amount of cholesterol in circulation.

Certain dietary fibers bind bile acids like these drugs, thus reducing cholesterol (particularly LDL cholesterol). These include: oats and barley bran.

Galls stones are commonly caused by too much cholesterol and bile acids being stored for too long as well, so eat your fiber!!!

Psyllium fiber is also effective in this manner (I've started taking it to help reduce my cholesterol)

Last edited:
LOL, I'm not a bile-o-phile. The way I got into researching bile was I have high cholesterol and I've been trying to figure out ways of reducing it. I ended up reading a bunch of articles on cholesterol and bile and their interactions.

Health trivia:

Rosemary increases blood circulation to the brain. The essential oil was burned in greek universities when people were studying, with the hope that it would increase their memorization and studying skills.